Patrick Star
Aug 7, 2004
Watching you
✟19,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello my name is Josh and I am 17...I became a Christian about a year ago but I haven't tried to witness to anyone yet because I don't have any non-Christian friends and I don't really know what witnessing is all about and I'd like to try it. So can anyone tell me the basics of what witnessing is and how to practice it correctly? Thanks.

Ailanthus

Tree of Heaven
Aug 8, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟2,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to second that request!
I've been a Christian for about 4-5 years, but I've never witnessed to anyone. I've never been real big on talking to strangers face to face.... and public speaking makes me very nervous, even though I got an "A" public speech class in school... go figure.
On the other hand, I would love to know the satisfaction of leading someone to Christ.

Upvote 0

Godisgood

A Whosoever
Aug 19, 2003
✟15,467.00
Faith
Christian
Josh,
When the opportunity comes up, just tell the person what happened to you. don't feel like you have failed if you cannot answer all the questions asked of you. Most often you may never know the impact you've had on someone. Like the verse 1 Cor. 3:6. The most important thing about sharing your faith is Prayer. Praying for the Lord to reveal any sin in your life and ask forgiveness for that, for you to be a bold yet gentle witness, for Him to let you see others through His eyes, and to prepare the hearts of those He sends your way. It helps me tremendously to have others praying for me.
Here is an article on evangelism that I like. http://www.carm.org/evangelize.htm
This book helped me so much: Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God- J.I. Packer and I also enjoyed The Heart of Evangelism- Jerram Barrs

Expect that the message you bring will be rejected by some, but at the same time trust the Lord to work in that person's heart as He wills. Keep in mind that people/flesh and blood are not the enemy.

Our middle school minister preached one sunday night on the subject of us not being called to make converts, but we are called to make disciples. to come alongside someone.

Upvote 0

gsmithcat

Half Cat
Aug 12, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
Visit site
✟7,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
SlimShadyJB,

I'm no expert in witnessing, but here's what I know.

First, just by living your life in Christ, you will witness to people. They will see the difference Christ has made in your life, the joy and peace you have, and the love in your heart!

Second, pray for opportunities to share the Gospel and ask the Spirit to guide you.

Third, there are fun things you can do to express Christ in your life. You can wear Christian t-shirts and listen to Christian music. However, be sure to be authentic and sincere in your love for Christ.

Fourth, sharing the Gospel can be intimidating. I definately recommend lots of prayer. Also, I would seek out a church with like minded Christians who can encourage you and help you.

Fifth, I recommend you spend some time studying ways to share the Gospel. Memorize Scripture and practice. There are books and studies you can read to get an idea what to do. I know my own church offers a class on how to share. :cool:

Upvote 0

Matt04

Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
✟15,158.00
Faith
Christian
Our middle school minister preached one sunday night on the subject of us not being called to make converts, but we are called to make disciples. to come alongside someone.
Some great advice right there! I've come to realize this a *lot* over the past years. I've recently realized the need to witness to christians in an effort to help them realize the need to not just be a Christian, but to be God's servant and disciple. Although I had to even do a little witnissing to myself for that :p

Prayer also works wonders, as gsmith pointed out. Just try to let the Spirit guide you.

Upvote 0