TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a general rule when out witnessing either offline or online when you are in a conversation with a seeker about Christ and Christianity do you mention the warning to backsliders or not? Obviously it comes down to timing and tone so I guess what I am really asking is, is it a good practice when possible to give a bigger picture to a seeker telling them about God’s mercy and the seriousness of the commitment because of the warnings to backsliders or just keep it all positive with God’s grace and if they do not come back to you for more information just hope some other believer tells them about the dangers or that they figure it out in their own time with the guidance from the Holy Spirit.

What is your general witnessing practice?

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
As a general rule when out witnessing either offline or online when you are in a conversation with a seeker about Christ and Christianity do you mention the warning to backsliders or not? Obviously it comes down to timing and tone so I guess what I am really asking is, is it a good practice when possible to give a bigger picture to a seeker telling them about God’s mercy and the seriousness of the commitment because of the warnings to backsliders or just keep it all positive with God’s grace and if they do not come back to you for more information just hope some other believer tells them about the dangers or that they figure it out in their own time with the guidance from the Holy Spirit.

Pray pray pray and then pray some more.

Then follow God's Holy Spirit's prompting.

It is His Holy Spirit Who wins hearts, minds, and souls, isn't it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes I agree listening to His prompting is very important!
I know the Holy Spirit is the one who converts people not us for sure. I have seen in many cases that believers always talk about the good parts and leave out the warnings or topics that would put unbelievers off but I feel it is important to give unbelievers if they ask about the faith the bigger picture both the blessings and the curses of backsliding once committed to Christ. This seems to be an unpopular practice so I was curious as to how a broader range of people on here witnessed.

I feel the Holy Spirit is calling me to provide the bigger picture in plain language when I can and to give due warning to those coming into His church who think it is all ‘happy, clappy, troubles all over, it is all up to God my participation is done now’ a gentle reality check that seems to have slipped due to the church trying to be overly politically correct.

I just worry we do seekers a disservice by giving them only half a picture because we are worried about putting people off God when I think if you are honest at the beginning with them then they make stronger witnessess themselves who mature faster.

Follow God's Holy Spirit's prompting?

It is His Holy Spirit Who wins hearts, minds, and souls, isn't it?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes I agree listening to His prompting is very important!
I know the Holy Spirit is the one who converts people not us for sure. I have seen in many cases that believers always talk about the good parts and leave out the warnings or topics that would put unbelievers off but I feel it is important to give unbelievers if they ask about the faith the bigger picture both the blessings and the curses of backsliding once committed to Christ. This seems to be an unpopular practice so I was curious as to how a broader range of people on here witnessed.

I feel the Holy Spirit is calling me to provide the bigger picture in plain language when I can and to give due warning to those coming into His church who think it is all ‘happy, clappy, troubles all over, it is all up to God my participation is done now’ a gentle reality check that seems to have slipped due to the church trying to be overly politically correct.

I just worry we do seekers a disservice by giving them only half a picture because we are worried about putting people off God when I think if you are honest at the beginning with them then they make stronger witnessess themselves who mature faster.

How did Jesus witness?

(i'm just curious, is this your issue, or God's? Your "worry", or God's? is it your "strategy" or God's? That's why i asked about the Holy Spirit.)

Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Exactly! I can not rely on my self so I see what others do and I come here and ask what others do bigger group bigger wisdom than self!

I think Jesus taught the bigger picture both blessings and curses. I do not think Jesus was interested in politics or pleasing people He was about teaching Truth whether it came hard or soft to ears. I feel inspired to do the same.

How did Jesus witness?

(i'm just curious, is this your issue, or God's? Your "worry", or God's? is it your "strategy" or God's? That's why i asked about the Holy Spirit.)

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Exactly! I can not rely on my self so I see what others do and I come here and ask what others do bigger group bigger wisdom than self!

I think Jesus taught the bigger picture both blessings and curses. I do not think Jesus was interested in politics or pleasing people He was about teaching Truth whether it came hard or soft to ears. I feel inspired to do the same.

Jesus kept it simple as He zero'ed in on their heart and their need.

We do as God's Holy Spirit prompts us. He (the Holy Spirit) does the rest.

It's about "God".

Not "us".

Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes I understand that.

Are you saying to be pc then keep it simple but positive leave out the negative? That’s what you do personally? I am new to witnessing I am finding out what the best general approach is.

I know I need to witness because God tells us too and I want to love my neighbour by wanting the best for them and I feel that if I was just getting into Christianity I would want to know the serious dangers of backsliding and not be left to find it out later or to be allowed to go on thinking life is trouble free when we are to expect trials and doubts. That is all.

Jesus kept it simple as He zero'ed in on their heart and their need.

We do as God's Holy Spirit prompts us. He (the Holy Spirit) does the rest.

It's about "God".

Not "us".

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

For someone that does not know God, does not know Christ, we can testify to them about finding God ourselves and/or (soon also) the Good News of Christ Jesus, Who can save them!

Having faith in Christ as saving, we should confidently believe the full and complete Good News will save those who would turn to Him.

Messages about enduring in Christ, such as the key message of Matthew 7:24-27, should come soon to those already converted. Not first, before they are converted, which would be putting the cart before the horse, but as they need, in the first year or two.

It is after a person has fully come to Christ that they will be wanting to hear His Words, and especially interested to hear His Words. It's good also to use His Words as we tell people of Christ. For instance, for me His Words "A new command I give you, that you love one another" were powerful and profoundly helpful to bring me to seek Him and find Him.

About 'backsliding', Christ told a profound message for us to learn -- the parable of the Prodigal Son.

These Words, this parable, are also deeply convincing to many. It's at times a very good way to tell some about Christ (such as some that grew up in churches but never fully came to Him) when we seek to find Words of His to tell them of, to relay to them, those Words that will endure forever, "even after heaving and Earth pass away" (and are replaced by the new heaven and new Earth).

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes I understand that.

Are you saying to be pc then keep it simple but positive leave out the negative? That’s what you do personally? I am new to witnessing I am finding out what the best general approach is.

I know I need to witness because God tells us too and I want to love my neighbour by wanting the best for them and I feel that if I was just getting into Christianity I would want to know the serious dangers of backsliding and not be left to find it out later or to be allowed to go on thinking life is trouble free when we are to expect trials and doubts. That is all.

Again, how did Jesus witness?

And no, are you asking me if i'm "politically correct" in witnessing?

Surely you did not read that in any of the posts i posted on this thread.

Read post #8, sister.

I agree with our brother.

Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For someone that does not know God, does not know Christ, we can testify to them about finding God ourselves and/or (soon also) the Good News of Christ Jesus, Who can save them!

I am sorry I do not understand are you asking if I am a believer? I have been a believer for a long time but I have only recently started sharing my testimony and spreading the good news to unbelievers and the world.

Having faith in Christ as saving, we should confidently believe the full and complete Good News will save those who would turn to Him.

I do believe this, I am nit concerned about my abikity to convert because that power is not mine. My concern is about sharing the good news authentically with their best interests at heart not keeping them immature or in ignorance.

Messages about enduring in Christ, such as the key message of Matthew 7:24-27, should come soon to those already converted. Not first, before they are converted, which would be putting the cart before the horse, but as they need, in the first year or two.

Yes I agree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I agree.

Some other quotes got mixed into mine there, and at first I thought, 'wait, I didn't say that', but then I read them, and it was actually good stuff, helpful, that I could have even said perhaps (if years is the same as 'recently'), and kinda a good thing for me to read, because it's one thing to give key testimony to a few friends, as I did long ago, but it's another to work harder to spread to more my testimony and good news, which has only been for a few years now. Also, I added more about the Prodigal Son, which I know is a very crucial thing to learn for us all, and also another powerful way to spread the gospel at times.

Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If I have it wrong please tell me how He witnessed I told you how I currently think He did I am totally happy to let go of my opinions for truth.

I was asking if you in general keep the message positive or if you do sometimes warn people of backsliding.

No, but I have seen watered down witnessing before and I want to avoid it if it is wrong. So I came here for geberal clarification on general witnessing practices.

Read post #8, sister.

I have.

Me too.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
brinny said:

If I have it wrong please tell me how He witnessed I told you how I currently think He did I am totally happy to let go of my opinions for truth.

I was asking if you in general keep the message positive or if you do sometimes warn people of backsliding.

No, but I have seen watered down witnessing before and I want to avoid it if it is wrong. So I came here for geberal clarification on general witnessing practices.

Read post #8, sister.

I have.

You seem to have posted and inserted your posts in my quote so that it looks as though i posted what you said.

Can you correct that?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry! Still trying to figure this forum out!
Typos everywhere.

Some other quotes got mixed into mine there, and at first I thought, 'wait, I didn't say that', but then I read them, and it was actually good stuff, helpful, that I could have even said perhaps (if years is the same as 'recently'), and kinda a good thing for me to read. Also, I added more about the Prodigal Son, which I know is a very crucial thing to learn for us all, and also another powerful way to spread the gospel at times.

• Friendly
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I thought it was easier for me to reply that way sorry if it was wrong. How do I correct it copy and paste?

brinny said:

Read post #8, sister.

I have.

You seem to have posted and inserted your posts in my quote so that it looks as though i posted what you said.

Can you correct that?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,159,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought it was easier for me to reply that way sorry if it was wrong. How do I correct it copy and paste?

I don't know all the ways, but I click the "Reply" button right at the bottom of their actual post, and then their post gets quoted automatically. Also, I edited my answer above in a very important way, if you'd take a 2nd look there.

Another thing is you can select part of their post first, and then a little popup appears where you can just quote that alone as you reply.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like you have the right mindset. What little witnessing that I've done as an adult has been to share what I can and then give someone a Christian book, which will hopefully lead them in the right direction. Also, on a limited number of occasions, I've tried to encourage some who are wavering or have turned their backs on faith to one degree or another.

Some might have anxiety over hell, so we should tread lightly in those cases, and offer them a message of Jesus' forgiveness and assurance. Others might be indifferent, confused, or disbelieve hell. In those cases, we should lovingly remind people of Jesus' warnings.

Reactions: Aimz
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

You inserted your response inside my quote,

That's against the TOL's of this site.

Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am sorry I just thought it would save time scrolling up to read your responses and scrolling down again to reply. I will copy and paste my replies into a new reply to your post. I did the same for the other person so I am doing that for theirs too. I did not mean to break rules.

It is after a person has fully come to Christ that they will be wanting to hear His Words, and especially interested to hear His Words. It's good also to use His Words as we tell people of Christ. For instance, for me His Words "A new command I give you, that you love one another" were powerful and profoundly helpful to bring me to seek Him and find Him.

About 'backsliding', Christ told a profound message for us to learn -- the parable of the Prodigal Son.

These Words, this parable, are also deeply convincing to many. It's at times a very good way to tell some about Christ (such as some that grew up in churches but never fully came to Him) when we seek to find Words of His to tell them of, to relay to them, those Words that will endure forever, "even after heaving and Earth pass away" (and are replaced by the new heaven and new Earth).
You inserted your response inside my quote,

That's against the TOL's of this site.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I am sorry I just thought it would save time scrolling up to read your responses and scrolling down again to reply. I will copy and paste my replies into a new reply to your post. I did the same for the other person so I am doing that for theirs too. I did not mean to break rules.

I understand that, and i appreciate you correcting it.

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0