Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Was thinking what could be called "Backstay" of Christianity,

So one thing led to another, and got to wondering,

How deep did a cross have to be in the ground, not to tip over?

3 feet deep and 13 inches square ...

Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How high was it off the ground?

Six feet?

BTW, John 12:32 says "lifted",
How?

Would not "raised" be more fitting?

lifted, raised same difference ... the point being he was then caught between heaven and earth ...

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
How high was it off the ground?

Six feet?

BTW, John 12:32 says "lifted",
How?

Would not "raised" be more fitting?

I have no evidence to support this but the cross would not have been high up in the air as we would imagine, but likely at eye level. Allowing travellers and all people that pass by to be at eye level of Jesus. Why would the Romans place him high in the air? I am sure they would have wanted to mock him and his death even more by placing him as low as possible.

Upvote 0

Yanni depp

Est. 1986
Jun 8, 2017
BC
✟71,722.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have no evidence to support this but the cross would not have been high up in the air as we would imagine, but likely at eye level. Allowing travellers and all people that pass by to be at eye level of Jesus. Why would the Romans place him high in the air? I am sure they would have wanted to mock him and his death even more by placing him as low as possible.
But they put the sponge with wine on a stick to give Jesus a drink. Probly pretty high up

• Agree
Reactions: WetSquireII
Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,633.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
lifted, raised same difference ... the point being he was then caught between heaven and earth ...

A telegraph pole, if it were hinged at one end it could be raised,
if not, it would have to be lifted in place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A telegraph pole, if it were hinged at one end it could be raised,
if not, it would have to be lifted in place.

i have found that everything which happens in the natural is a shadow of that which is happening in the spiritual .... Jesus being the pattern son a picture of us and our souls journey of a there and back ....

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us--for it has been written: "Cursed is everyone hanging on a tree"--

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,633.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

But probably out of reach for passers by.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Was thinking what could be called "Backstay" of Christianity,

So one thing led to another, and got to wondering,

How deep did a cross have to be in the ground, not to tip over?
And who dug the hole? Did the cross have to be pounded into the ground? Did they force Jesus to do all that?

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,633.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
And who dug the hole? Did the cross have to be pounded into the ground? Did they force Jesus to do all that?

Depends if they were pushed for time.

The body had to be taken down and buried preferably same day,
and before sundown.

Not that it bothered the Romans,
but it belongs to the story.

Last edited:
Reactions: dreadnought
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Romans crucified according to what they found in the area. So it all depends.

Only one crucified individual has been found in Israel: A man called Jehohanan, who was killed in the first century. His remains show shards of olive wood. As he was crucified on olive wood, it would have been quite a short cross, as olive trees aren't that tall - slightly above eye level being about as high as one can expect. The Romans always used local wood to crucify, so Akasia or Olive wood or such, would have been used. Therefore Jesus' cross would not have been very tall.

Similarly, the Romans didn't always nail people the same way. The soldiers sometimes nailed them in odd positions for fun. They also tended to pry the nails out afterwards to save iron (confirmed in the excavation of Jehohanan).

It was also usually the case that criminals only carried the cross-bar, not the upright as well. This would then be notched into place on an already set-up pole. This would especially be expected in a normal crucifixion, which would take place at well known execution areas. Only in special cases, such as when Titus took Jerusalem and ran out of wood for crucifixions, were the uprights set up then too. Likely Jesus was just raised by a sort of pulley system onto an already present pole, after being nailed to the cross-bar. His feet would then have been nailed onto the footrest while already on the cross, which is further support for the cross not being too high.

Alternately, if Pilate rushed his execution and the usual crosses were already full, he might have forced Jesus to carry the whole thing, but as the soldiers already had Simon of Cyrene help him, it is unlikely they would have forced him to dig the hole also. It would likely have been a prepared hole they slotted it into. The Romans also crucified people onto trees on occasion, so there is that possibility as well, that His crossbar was simply raised onto a tree. This would fit the Talmud's possible reference of Yeshu on the Tree.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Robban
Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Cursed is everyone hanging on a tree"

the tree this references is the tree of knowledge of good and evil ( also pictured as the fig tree, but by no means limited to this ) the eating of this tree speaks of our reasoning between two opposites found in everything, it is here were we are caught between the two, also seen as heaven and earth among a myriad of different forms but speaking to the same truth ....

as in "cursed is everyone caught between heaven and earth"

it is no coincidence Christ/Truth was/is crucified between two thieves, seeing the reasoning between these two opposites rob us of the Truth we are ...

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,633.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
"Cursed is everyone hanging on a tree"

the tree this references is the tree of knowledge of good and evil ( also pictured as the fig tree, but by no means limited to this ) the eating of this tree speaks of our reasoning between two opposites found in everything, it is here were we are caught between the two, also seen as heaven and earth among a myriad of different forms but speaking to the same truth ....

as in "cursed is everyone caught between heaven and earth"

it is no coincidence Christ/Truth was/is crucified between two thieves, seeing the reasoning between these two opposites rob us of the Truth we are ...

I may not be getting what you mean by reasoning.

If making a choice is in most cases reasoning.

Positive reasoning,
The prodigal son, he reasoned with himself,

Negative reasoning,
How far can I go and still be within the law.

That is what I put into reasoning.

In short.

Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I may not be getting what you mean by reasoning.

If making a choice is in most cases reasoning.

Positive reasoning,
The prodigal son, he reasoned with himself,

Negative reasoning,
How far can I go and still be within the law.

That is what I put into reasoning.

In short.

Jesus likened our five senses as our five husbands which gave us a husband ( as the sixth ) not of our own ...

Upvote 0