With 3 other Catholic forums for specific purposes, what is OBOB's purpose now?

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I have no liturgical or theological objection to the use of incense, but I do think churches need to be careful in how they use it. Regular heavy use of incense in poorly-ventilated churches has been shown to be linked to a higher rate of lung and respiratory tract cancers (comparable to that caused by passive smoking), as well as other health issues such as inflammation in the lungs, allergy and asthma, in clergy and choristers.

Using pure incense without a lot of spices or other additives, as well as keeping doors and windows open, can help, but the biggest thing is just being willing to use a bit less...

A more immediately obvious reason is not to set the fire alarm(s) off in the building, if it isn't spacious enough to allow the smoke to dissipate on its own. My old church in NM certainly wasn't, and we didn't generally use a lot (though still more than the average Roman Catholic church). So the windows were open just to avoid problems, in addition to of course not choking the aunties and grandpas and kids. That's a fair concern, though the structure of the Coptic liturgical services demands that we always use some (the priest censing the church is not optional, as it is in the rubrics, and there are prayers to be said then and actions to be performed by all that cannot simply be moved or substituted for something else).

But, yes...speaking of something else, back to topic!

Um...sooo...who here plans to post in the Traditional Catholics forum? I imagine I'll lurk and post if I see something interesting, same as I do here and on TLT. I wonder if it'll have a more 'pre-VII' attitude towards non-Catholics...

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,169.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
dzheremi, in my last parish, which used incense a lot, they just turned the fire alarms off instead...

incense causing cancer??
C`mon get a grip...

I'm quite serious! Here are a few medical journal articles addressing the issue:

Friborg, J.T. et al. “Incense Use and Respiratory Tract Carcinomas: A Prospective Cohort Study.” Cancer, 2008: 113, 7, pp.1676-1684.

Lin, Ta-Ching et al. “Incense smoke: clinical, structural and molecular effects on airway disease.” Clinical and Molecular Allergy, 2008, 6:3. Accessed at http://www.clinicalmolecularallergy.com/content/6/1/3

See, S.W. and Balasubramanian, R. “Characterization of fine particle emissions from incense burning.” Building and Environment, 2011, 46, pp.1074-1080.

I looked into it quite seriously after my doctor told me not to use incense while I was pregnant.

I'm not saying, never use incense, but just be a bit thoughtful about how you use it, because it can be harmful.

Upvote 0

thehehe

Oct 19, 2015
France
✟127,953.00
Country
France
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I hope not...
Dont pick on the norwegian guy and his constant grammars :(
You would not be alone :D
As a Grammar Nazi in my own language, I feel guilty for all my mistakes.. And I still cannot understand abbreviations.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You would not be alone :D
As a Grammar Nazi in my own language, I feel guilty for all my mistakes.. And I still cannot understand abbreviations.

when I was your age I made an effort to use abbreviations more
I never used them, and it gave people the impression that I was anachronistic (from another time, old fashioned) or too formal

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
when I was your age I made an effort to use abbreviations more
I never used them, and it gave people the impression that I was anachronistic (from another time, old fashioned) or too formal

Ahh, but you`re still young arent you Alex?
Im sure you are, I mean you sound so young (dont take this the wrong way friend).
Hip and cool that is :p

Upvote 0