Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In the parable of the 10 virgins, there were 5 wise virgins and 5 foolish virgins. Jesus was giving this parable to his Disciples while they were still under the Law of Moses.

I believe the virgins were being depicted as bridesmaids instead of as brides because under the Law, the hoped-for marriage of Israel with God would only be consummated in the NT era. And so, the wise virgins would only succeed in becoming wives when they are portrayed in a NT context, and ultimately when that marriage is consummated at the resurrection.

I say this because some Christians furiously insist that the Law had only a negative connotation, telling us we're sinners and can't do anything good apart from Christ. Well, before Christ came, the Law was designed precisely so that Israel could do good, despite the fact they could not elude the curse of sin, which is death. The Law had a good purpose in providing Israel with righteousness and with the accompanying hope of achieving Eternal Life when Messiah came.

The Law, specifically, was designed to enable a continuing relationship between God and Israel. Without Law, Israel could not please God and could not long remain in His presence.

And so, the Law had a very good purpose in providing temporary covering for Israel's sins while they followed God's standard of righteousness. Though the Law reminded them of their sin and that they cannot overcome the curse of sin, they did have hope that they would eventually arrive at the Messianic Kingdom and live forever.

So the wise virgins were only servants under the Old Covenant, slavishly following God's laws and rituals to keep themselves connected to the bridegroom until they could qualify as brides. In the OT era, these serving virgins were portrayed as Israel waiting for their Messiah at his 2sd Coming, because In biblical prophecy, Israel is finally restored as a nation at his 2nd Coming.

Matt 25.“At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3 The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4 The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5 The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep."

Under the Law both wise and foolish grow "drowsy," because all are afflicted with the Sin Nature. But the wise actually do business on behalf of their work for the bridegroom, which is obedience under the Law.

It is the "oil" of faith, demonstrated in works of faith, that enables them to overcome the effects of their drowsiness. In the NT era, this "oil" has become a deposit of the Spirit, guaranteeing our inheritance at Jesus' Coming. It is the Spirit who enables us to live in Christ and do the works of Christ.

But the aim for these serving virgins was not simply to do business, or to buy oil, but rather, to see the marriage consummated. For Israel it was the establishment of a better and final covenant that enables the virgins to become "brides."

Getting oil was merely to remain focused on the need for a lasting covenant. In the OT that was by obeying the Law in faith. Under the NT it is obeying the commands of Christ and "staying ready."

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
In the parable of the 10 virgins, there were 5 wise virgins and 5 foolish virgins. Jesus was giving this parable to his Disciples while they were still under the Law of Moses.

I believe the virgins were being depicted as bridesmaids instead of as brides because under the Law, the hoped-for marriage of Israel with God would only be consummated in the NT era. And so, the wise virgins would only succeed in becoming wives when they are portrayed in a NT context, and ultimately when that marriage is consummated at the resurrection.

I say this because some Christians furiously insist that the Law had only a negative connotation, telling us we're sinners and can't do anything good apart from Christ. Well, before Christ came, the Law was designed precisely so that Israel could do good, despite the fact they could not elude the curse of sin, which is death. The Law had a good purpose in providing Israel with righteousness and with the accompanying hope of achieving Eternal Life when Messiah came.

The Law, specifically, was designed to enable a continuing relationship between God and Israel. Without Law, Israel could not please God and could not long remain in His presence.

And so, the Law had a very good purpose in providing temporary covering for Israel's sins while they followed God's standard of righteousness. Though the Law reminded them of their sin and that they cannot overcome the curse of sin, they did have hope that they would eventually arrive at the Messianic Kingdom and live forever.

So the wise virgins were only servants under the Old Covenant, slavishly following God's laws and rituals to keep themselves connected to the bridegroom until they could qualify as brides. In the OT era, these serving virgins were portrayed as Israel waiting for their Messiah at his 2sd Coming, because In biblical prophecy, Israel is finally restored as a nation at his 2nd Coming.

Matt 25.“At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3 The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4 The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5 The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep."

Under the Law both wise and foolish grow "drowsy," because all are afflicted with the Sin Nature. But the wise actually do business on behalf of their work for the bridegroom, which is obedience under the Law.

It is the "oil" of faith, demonstrated in works of faith, that enables them to overcome the effects of their drowsiness. In the NT era, this "oil" has become a deposit of the Spirit, guaranteeing our inheritance at Jesus' Coming. It is the Spirit who enables us to live in Christ and do the works of Christ.

But the aim for these serving virgins was not simply to do business, or to buy oil, but rather, to see the marriage consummated. For Israel it was the establishment of a better and final covenant that enables the virgins to become "brides."

Getting oil was merely to remain focused on the need for a lasting covenant. In the OT that was by obeying the Law in faith. Under the NT it is obeying the commands of Christ and "staying ready."
Matthew 25:1 “Then the kingdom of heaven (1) will be like ten virgins who took their lamps[a] and went to meet the bridegroom

Matthew 25:11-12 Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord,(2) open to us.’ 12 But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you (3).’ 13 Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.

Matthew 7:21-23 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ (2) will enter the kingdom of heaven (1), but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, (2) did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; (3) depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

The above passages are clearly parallel, which means that it can be inferred that symbolism of not having oil represents being workers of lawlessness, especially because God's law is His instructions for how to know Him. In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he and Israel might know Him. In Jeremiah 9:3 and 9:6, they did not know God and refused to know him because in 9:13 they had forsaken God's law, while in 9:24, those who know God know that He delights in practicing steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in all of the earth, so delighting in practicing those and other aspects of God's character is the way to know Him, and the way to know the Son, who is the exact image of God's character (Hebrews 1:3). In 1 John 2:4, those who say that they know Jesus, but don't obey his commands are liars, and in 1 John 3:4-6, those who continue to practice sin in transgression of God's law have never seen nor known him.

Furthermore, the lamp is representative of God's law and the oil is representative of good deeds in obedience to it. In Psalms 119:105-106, David said that God's word is a lamp unto his feet and a light unto his path and that he has sworn and oath and confirmed that that he would keep God's righteous laws. In Proverbs 6:23, the commandment is a lamp and the teaching a light, and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life. In Matthew 5:16, the way to let our light shine is by doing good works. God's law is nothing but head knowledge unless we keep it in the same way that a lamp is nothing without oil. In Jewish tradition, oil symbolizes good deeds:

"Now oil symbolizes good deeds, as it is written: “A good name is better than good oil” (Kohelet 7:1). We also read in Tanna D’vei Eliyahu Rabba: “Oil always represents good deeds. In fact, ‘Your oils are better than fragrance’ means: ‘Your deeds are better than fragrance.’ ” "

"Mixed with oil – that is Torah, which is required to be mixed with good deeds; like that which we learned (Avot 2:2)" (Bamidbar Rabbah 13).

In Matthew 25:1, Jesus said that the Kingdom of Heaven is like 10 virgins, so all 10 are in the Kingdom, but only 5 made it to the supper. Jesus went on to say in Matthew 5:19 that those who breaks the least of these commandments or teaches others to do the same would be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven, while whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven. In James 2:18, faith without deeds is useless just as a lamp without oil is useless. The five foolish virgins had the lamp, so they had God's law and the words of Jesus, but they had no good deeds, which served to judge them as not being worthy of the supper because they knew to do good, but did not do it.

Revelation 19:6-9 "Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out, “Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns. 7 Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready; 8 it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure”— for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints. 9 And the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matthew 25:1 “Then the kingdom of heaven (1) will be like ten virgins who took their lamps[a] and went to meet the bridegroom

Matthew 25:11-12 Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord,(2) open to us.’ 12 But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you (3).’ 13 Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.

Matthew 7:21-23 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ (2) will enter the kingdom of heaven (1), but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, (2) did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; (3) depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

The above passages are clearly parallel, which means that it can be inferred that symbolism of not having oil represents being workers of lawlessness, especially because God's law is His instructions for how to know Him. In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he and Israel might know Him. In Jeremiah 9:3 and 9:6, they did not know God and refused to know him because in 9:13 they had forsaken God's law, while in 9:24, those who know God know that He delights in practicing steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in all of the earth, so delighting in practicing those and other aspects of God's character is the way to know Him, and the way to know the Son, who is the exact image of God's character (Hebrews 1:3). In 1 John 2:4, those who say that they know Jesus, but don't obey his commands are liars, and in 1 John 3:4-6, those who continue to practice sin in transgression of God's law have never seen nor known him.

Furthermore, the lamp is representative of God's law and the oil is representative of good deeds in obedience to it. In Psalms 119:105-106, David said that God's word is a lamp unto his feet and a light unto his path and that he has sworn and oath and confirmed that that he would keep God's righteous laws. In Proverbs 6:23, the commandment is a lamp and the teaching a light, and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life. In Matthew 5:16, the way to let our light shine is by doing good works. God's law is nothing but head knowledge unless we keep it in the same way that a lamp is nothing without oil. In Jewish tradition, oil symbolizes good deeds:

"Now oil symbolizes good deeds, as it is written: “A good name is better than good oil” (Kohelet 7:1). We also read in Tanna D’vei Eliyahu Rabba: “Oil always represents good deeds. In fact, ‘Your oils are better than fragrance’ means: ‘Your deeds are better than fragrance.’ ” "

"Mixed with oil – that is Torah, which is required to be mixed with good deeds; like that which we learned (Avot 2:2)" (Bamidbar Rabbah 13).
Yes, the oil represents men and women who with their good deeds radiate God's Spirit, just like a person anointed with oil would shine. The oil is a fuel which when lit by the fire of the Holy Spirit illuminates truth, which is exhibited in men through their good works.
In Matthew 25:1, Jesus said that the Kingdom of Heaven is like 10 virgins, so all 10 are in the Kingdom, but only 5 made it to the supper.
The "Kingdom" in Jesus' time represented the Kingdom of Israel conjoined with the Kingdom of God. David's Kingdom had been aligned with the Kingdom of God in a temporal representation of God's heavenly rule.

So anybody who resided in Israel, dedicated to the Law, could be considered a resident in God's temporal Kingdom on earth. But they were not necessarily affixed to the heavenly Kingdom--not unless Christ's better NT Covenant had established their permanent residency there.

I think Jesus was pointing out that just being an Israelite under the Law was insufficient to have Eternal Life in God's heavenly Kingdom. They would have to prove their faith by embracing Christ as the basis of their Salvation.

Our own deeds, whether under the Law or not, are insufficient to obtain for us eternal atonement. We must get that by putting our faith in Christ, whose free gift of spiritual life is available to those who choose him above their own independent, carnal life.

Upvote 0

Matt5

Jun 12, 2019
Zürich
✟133,588.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is one small problem here. When Jesus comes back there are no virgins waiting to greet him. Remember the mark of the beast? That took them all out. Any exceptions would be tiny.

That one nasty little detail ripples far and wide throughout the Bible.

When is the last time the virgins are known to exist?

When the false prophet arrives.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can faith be bought??
I just had a conversation with an obstinate Christian who professes that Faith Alone prevails for Salvation, and that things like Repentance, Confession of Sin, and Water Baptism are works that cannot earn us Salvation. I explained to him as follows....

I'll tell you where your confusion lies, in my humble opinion. You think that confession, water baptism, and repentance are all "Works," as in works under the Law that fell short of obtaining Eternal Life. That is a very technical application of "Works," which does not apply to Works that are the means of expressing Faith.

You tout Faith as the exclusive means of Salvation, not realizing that in order to express Faith one must do a different kind of Works than that expressed under the Law. Christ has already provided for our atonement, so whatever Man does now with respect to Work can be done as an expression of faith in Christ's atonement.

We can repent of our sins in faith. We can confess our sins in faith. We can get water baptized in faith. These are not works designed to obtain justification. They are the means of faith to grasp hold of what Christ has already done for us, to participate in it.

Upvote 0

WilliamLhk

Nov 6, 2023
Colorado
✟15,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just had a conversation with an obstinate Christian who professes that Faith Alone prevails for Salvation, and that things like Repentance, Confession of Sin, and Water Baptism are works that cannot earn us Salvation. I explained to him as follows....
Can faith be bought??
You didn't really answer the question. This does:

Proverbs 23:23 Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.

Oil is used in lamps to create light. Spiritually speaking, light is truth. These oil-less virgins lack the truths and understanding of the Word. Like a lot of professing, self-identified Christians these days.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You didn't really answer the question. This does:

Proverbs 23:23 Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.

Oil is used in lamps to create light. Spiritually speaking, light is truth. These oil-less virgins lack the truths and understanding of the Word. Like a lot of professing, self-identified Christians these days.
I answered at least one of your questions. You asked if "faith can be bought?" My answer was no, Faith cannot be bought. But neither does that mean that Work lacks merit in approaching Faith. It does not mean that nothing can be bought with respect to our Faith.

Our response to God's word to our heart should be obedience, We should affirm God's word to us by agreeing with it, even if that involves "paying" some price to obtain it. We are not essentially paying for it, but allowing that word to exact some cost from us in the way of paying due diligence.

I'm not worming around your question but answering it directly. We do not pay for Faith as a form of buying our Salvation. But we do pay a price for it, and as such, are required to "buy oil for our lamps." We get that by responding to Christ's offer to give us the oil if we are simply willing to go to him and buy it.

In a practical sense that means we respond if God offers to give us light and directs us to a place where we can get oil for that light. Obviously, in Jesus' day, the priests were all about the lampstand and its light, and completely lacked the Holy Spirit that would give real spiritual value to that religious ceremony.

Jesus was requiring those priests, in their dead religion, to come to him to "buy" His spiritual gift in the form of accepting him as the source of that oil. They could not get the real spiritual light by natural oil. They had to "buy" from Jesus the oil of the Holy Spirit in order to make the temple service real and the light something spiritual.

If you have oil already, you don't need to go buy it. But if you lack the oil, you need to go buy it from someone else. It doesn't mean you even have to have the money. You can simply "buy" it in the metaphorical sense by submitting to whatever cost the Seller asks of you.

Isa 55.1 “Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost."

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,048.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There is one small problem here. When Jesus comes back there are no virgins waiting to greet him. Remember the mark of the beast? That took them all out. Any exceptions would be tiny.

That one nasty little detail ripples far and wide throughout the Bible.

When is the last time the virgins are known to exist?

When the false prophet arrives.
Those people who had 'oil in their lamps', that is: maintained their faith in Jesus and refused to take the mark of the beast, are the ones taken to a place of safety during the 42 month period of satanic world control. Revelation 12:14
They may be millions, they are in fact; the vast multitude who John sees in Jerusalem. Revelation 7:9

Upvote 0