Visit site
✟394,836.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes I've heard of it, and used the Beta.

1) If you're just a standard user, you don't need to upgrade.
2) Hardcore Gamers won't "need" to upgrade tell you get games that are Direct X 10 Required.
3) It will come with the new computers that are being sold soon, and the ones that are being sold now, should come with an "upgrade" coupon for a free upgrade to vista.
4) If you've got kids, you may want to look into it, as the parental controls are nice.
5) If you like the latest you may want to look into it, as it has lots of eye candy.
6) otherwise I'd just hold of for a few more months at least tell you upgrade.

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Trusted Computing needs to die a horrible, painful, and quick death. That is all.

Ok, maybe not all:
1) I'm cringing at the resource requirements. There's absolutely no excuse for that. Compensating with better and better hardware is no excuse for poor resource management and usage. This is also a complaint I have with XP.

2) Vista spends all this time in R&D and money spent on developing and this is the best we get? Microsoft is getting rusty - really rusty.

3) Did I mention how Trusted Computing should be shot, staked through the heart, and buried at a crossroads with a chain of garlic around its neck?

4) I didn't like Luna; Aero doesn't cut it for me either. They look way too bloated for my tastes.

In conclusion, unless the programs I absolutely need (mainly video editing apps) stop working with XP and haven't gotten ported/in working order on Linux at that time, I'm never going to upgrade.

Upvote 0

icebreaker

Oct 26, 2003
Elizabeth City, NC
✟400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ya just looked over microsoft.com to check out vista features and it really just looks like eye-candy with a built in firewall/AV/AS software for all the people that do nothing for their pc. They just log on go to websites then turn it off.

With those minimum requirements I think only one pc will be able to decently run vista with a ram up grade and Im currently at 1gig.

How far back does most software reconize? Win 95? or 98?

Wonder how long my xp pro wimpy puters will last till their OS is not acknowledged. not any time soon but some time.

Upvote 0

AmazingLoveAmazingGrace

Jun 6, 2006
Albion Park
Visit site
✟7,716.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Some hardware has niggling issues with Vista as not all hardware has drivers for it.

The problem is you have to start going backwards to get stuff to work (while some of my hardware was supported natively by Windows Vista, my network card was not recognised and had to be installed with Windows 2000 drivers!)

Vista is supposed to be released worldwide at the end of this month or early February.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

superfly

Jan 8, 2005
✟8,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i'm sticking with linux, thanks. :) No viruses, no spyware, no adware, MUCH less system requirements, free, easy to use, updated all the time, supports more hardware out-of-the-box than any other operating system (no, windows needs driver disks, that's not out-of-the-box), can run most of my windows games either through wine or through cedega. more and more programs and games are being ported to linux (i watch the news).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gnasher

Don't worry, be happy..............
Sep 3, 2006
HAVE LEFT CF FOR GOOD
✟24,377.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Retail stores will release Vista to the consumer on January 30th.
You do not need 1GB of RAM to run Vista…you need 1GB of RAM to run the full visual features of Vista.
we tried a version of the basic as a trial on 512meg and it really struggled... so I think we will stick with XP home ;)

Upvote 0

Gnasher

Don't worry, be happy..............
Sep 3, 2006
HAVE LEFT CF FOR GOOD
✟24,377.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i'm sticking with linux, thanks. :) No viruses, no spyware, no adware, MUCH less system requirements, free, easy to use, updated all the time, supports more hardware out-of-the-box than any other operating system (no, windows needs driver disks, that's not out-of-the-box), can run most of my windows games either through wine or through cedega. more and more programs and games are being ported to linux (i watch the news).
what if the hardware you use - is adsl modems etc say they don't support Linux - then what you so apart from buying new hardware?

Upvote 0

theartist87

May 27, 2004
✟15,781.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I had a customer bring their computer in today that they upgraded to XP, and wanted to know why it ran slow. It was a 500MHz processor, 64MB RAM, 8GB HDD. Please people. If you didn't buy your computer in the last year, DON'T UPGRADE TO VISTA, for the sake of those of us that have to fix your costly mistake!

Upvote 0