Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
this just crossed my mind today. And I was curious what other peoples thoughts were. Here on earth sleeping is a biological need for our bodies to function and also for many of us its a way to get away from our daily stresses or get through illness.

However there are many times in life that resting, closing my eyes and sleeping is more of a peaceful moment. Whether its laying out in the grass and listening to the birds or napping to the smell of the grass, trees and just life. There are also many times I'm fully at peace smelling and listening to the rain and resting. If these are enjoyable and peaceful things in nature wouldn't they exist in heaven to a certain degree?

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,807.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I hear you! :)But let yourself imagine that you will have a new body in Heaven with no need to sleep. There will be nothing to cause any type of stress in Heaven. There will be no wars and rumors of war in Heaven. There will be no iniquity in Heaven, no sin. Hallelujah!:clap: :tutu:

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
this just crossed my mind today. And I was curious what other peoples thoughts were. Here on earth sleeping is a biological need for our bodies to function and also for many of us its a way to get away from our daily stresses or get through illness.

However there are many times in life that resting, closing my eyes and sleeping is more of a peaceful moment. Whether its laying out in the grass and listening to the birds or napping to the smell of the grass, trees and just life. There are also many times I'm fully at peace smelling and listening to the rain and resting. If these are enjoyable and peaceful things in nature wouldn't they exist in heaven to a certain degree?

I am unaware of any scripture that would answer you question other than these.

this is what Jesus said using the word sleep notice they are all assolciated with death.

So to extrapulate this no sleep in heaven as per Jesus sleep is death and there is no death in Heaven.

Matthew 9:24
He said unto them, Give place: for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn.

Mark 5:39
And when he was come in, he saith unto them, Why make ye this ado, and weep? the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth.

John 11:11-14
11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.

12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.

13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.

14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

So to extrapulate this IMHO no sleep in heaven as per Jesus sleep is death and there is no death in Heaven.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Do angels sleep?

Mark 12:25 For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.

We'll be like angels, meaning, we will be spirit. The physical body needs sleep to rejuvenate, but a spirit is not bound to a physical body that would grow tired, sick, or old.

That's not to say, perhaps, some people might want to close their eyes and enjoy tranquility. But chances are you probably won't actually doze off.

ETA: Oh and when you are spirit and have boundless energy because you're no longer constrained by the pains of arthritis or migraines or chronic fatigue think off all the projects you can busy yourself with. Getting us to nap would be like getting little kids to settle down and take nap when they have too many things on their To Play list. Lol.

Psalm 121:4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe, our resurrected body will be like Jesus' resurrected body so anything that Jesus' did with his resurrected body we will be able to do too, such as eating.
I have no reason to believe that if you want to enjoy nature and drift off to sleep you won't be able to do that.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,807.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I believe, our resurrected body will be like Jesus' resurrected body so anything that Jesus' did with his resurrected body we will be able to do too, such as eating.
I have no reason to believe that if you want to enjoy nature and drift off to sleep you won't be able to do that.
Right! But, the question I ask myself about this is will I have a desire to sleep in Heaven. Our bodies won't need it since it is immortal, so it will not get tired and need to to recuperate. We tend to enjoy sleeping so much that the Word of God warns us in Proverbs:
Proverbs 20:13
Love not sleep, lest thou come to poverty; open thine eyes, and thou shalt be satisfied with bread.

Since I am retired now I really enjoy sleepin until mid morning. But I remembeer hating to wake up to go to school or to work. LOL^_^ :sleep:

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We tend to enjoy sleeping so much that the Word of God warns us in Proverbs:
Proverbs 20:13
Love not sleep, lest thou come to poverty; open thine eyes, and thou shalt be satisfied with bread.
I think that scripture is referring to being lazy, not sleeping in particular, which can lead to poverty.

I remember as a teenager not wanting to get up in the early morning. :D

Whether you'll have a desire to sleep, that I can't even guess at.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,807.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I remember as a teenager not wanting to get up in the early morning. :D
Oooh! NEVER!:eek:^_^ I don't consider myself lazy. Early morning waking up was anethema to me! When I started my nursing career, I chose to work evening and night shifts.:D

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

There will be leisure. And thus naps in the hammock.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟187,250.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

There's no requirement for rest in heaven because we will be immortal. Immortals (with spiritual bodies) do not have the limitations of mortals. For example, angels don't sleep.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟187,250.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said in Mark 12:25 that in the resurrection, we shall be like the angels. Yes, Jesus ate with his disciples after the resurrection and some angels were on record to have eaten with mortals whom they visited, however, there is zero scriptural evidence that immortals (Jesus, angels) ever needed to sleep.

The spiritual body we receive after the resurrection/rapture is light as air, capable of disappearing and appearing. Can float in the air, etc. It can go through walls and do everything that our mortal body cannot. Our soul does not sleep, when the flesh is sleeping the soul is out and about.

So, no sir, a sleeping immortal body is not supported in scripture because the spiritual body never gets tired, weak or ill (1 Cor 15:42-44)

Upvote 0

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟187,250.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Likely, no but I like sleep. I feel better overall when I get good sleep.
Having a new/perfect body doesn't mean we won't rest.
The angels have no need to rest, and neither shall we. Isn't it rather wonderful to look forward to a body that doesn't have the limitations and challenges of our physical body?

Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I think we'll be able to sleep in heaven but we won't NEED to sleep in heaven. Same with eating. We'll be able to but won't NEED to. :angel::)

Upvote 0