Will Preterism lead to the acceptance of this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttawaUk

Veteran
Mar 13, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
✟9,624.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'll be honest, I'm not 100% in tune with the Preterist viewpoint, but from my basic understand is that we're currently living in the Millinia with Christ right now and that the Book of Revelation is not to be taken literally?

Anyways with that being said, for those who are preterist, will your viewpoint lead you to accept this person as the Christ, if he showed up?

Share International is the name of the organization. I wasn't allowed to post a link to it.

Scholar in training

sine ira et studio
Feb 25, 2005
United States
✟15,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I think you're talking about a full preterist view, which is heretical. Partial preterists just believe that a few prophecies were fulfilled at 70 AD (when the Temple was ransaked and destroyed by the Romans). Partial preterism still lies within orthodoxy (small "o"). They still wait for the coming (parousia) of Christ, the day of the Lord, the resurrection of the dead, the rapture of the living, the final judgment, and the end of history. I think that full preterists, on the other hand, believe that the parousia has already occured.

Anyway, as for the site you linked to, I would avoid that if I were you. From what I've read, Maitreya is a term that New Agers use. They believe that Jesus and Lucifer are one and the same... It's very odd.

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

The poster formerly known as Acts6:5
Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OttawaUk said:
I'll be honest, I'm not 100% in tune with the Preterist viewpoint, but from my basic understand is that we're currently living in the Millinia with Christ right now and that the Book of Revelation is not to be taken literally?
As StAnselm noted, Preterists are not the only Christians that don't take Revelation literally. In fact, not even the strictest fundamentalist takes all of Revelation literally, unless they actually believe a sea monster will rise out of the Atlantic ocean with a prostitute riding his back. Everyone believes there are both literal and symbolic areas of revelation, preterists included.

Anyways with that being said, for those who are preterist, will your viewpoint lead you to accept this person as the Christ, if he showed up?

http://www.shareintl.org/

Of course not. When Jesus truly appears we won't have to be "convinced" that He is who He says He is - we'll know. Since the Maitreya is supposed to be a "world teacher" (and our Christ is not), then of course we preterists will not be swayed by some New Age practitioner. By no means would the preterist viewpoint lead Christians to accept the Maitreya as the true Christ.

In Christ,

Acts6:5

Upvote 0

good4u

<font color="darkblue"><font size="3"><b><i><font
Apr 4, 2003
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟1,875.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Acts6:5 said:
Of course not. When Jesus truly appears we won't have to be "convinced" that He is who He says He is - we'll know. Since the Maitreya is supposed to be a "world teacher" (and our Christ is not), then of course we preterists will not be swayed by some New Age practitioner. By no means would the preterist viewpoint lead Christians to accept the Maitreya as the true Christ.

In Christ,

Aww---say it ain't so---you are a preterist?

Gosh, I am disappointed. :(

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
good4u said:
Aww---say it ain't so---you are a preterist?

Gosh, I am disappointed. :(

No reason to be. :wave: You can partially thank Bibliophile from the ol' Jesusaves.com forums (although he was a full pret).

In Christ,

Upvote 0

NumberOneSon

Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
good4u said:
So then you are a preterist? I guess I am missing your prior answer.

Yes, Julie, my eschatalogy is partial preterism. Like I said in the other post, you can thank Bibliophile.:D

In Christ,

Upvote 0

good4u

Apr 4, 2003
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟1,875.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Acts6:5 said:
Yes, Julie, my eschatalogy is partial preterism. Like I said in the other post, you can thank Bibliophile.:D

In Christ,

Ah...you where taken in by the wiles of Biblio...Nick! Did he talk a good game to you and you bought it? *sigh*

Like Cher said in "Moonstruck".... *Slaps face * "SNAP OUT OF IT!!!" LOL

Okay, okay, even my most favored brother is entitled to a good debate. :)

Okay, I agree that prophetic Scripture does indeed have a near/far fullfilment, but that is about as far as I can go on agreement. The physical kingdom of God has certainly not been fulfilled yet and full Preterism is well, hersey.

Darn that Biblio, I can't believe he has not found this site. Where is he anyway?

Upvote 0

Hedgehog

saved by grace through faith
Dec 22, 2004
Central/Northern MN
✟15,669.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is one called when you do not interpret Revelation as literal, and all, or nearly fulfilled but do not believe it was 70AD that fulfilled it, but that it is telling about what happened to Israel while they were "decieved" under the law and what Jesus did on the cross?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NumberOneSon

Mar 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hedgehog said:
What is one called when you do not interpret Revelation as literal, and all, or nearly fulfilled but do not believe it was 70AD that fulfilled it, but that it is telling about what happened to Israel while they were "decieved" under the law and what Jesus did on the cross?
I don't think there is an eschatological classification for something like that.

In Christ,

Upvote 0

good4u

Apr 4, 2003
St. Louis, MO
Visit site
✟1,875.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hedgehog said:

Classification: confused.

Upvote 0
S

ShaggyFlasko

No, it would not. In fact, acceptance of a future, earthly messiah is exactly contrary to preterist thought.

Luke 21:8 - And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.

Matthew 24:26 - Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

God bless.
-Bill

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

StAnselm

Theologue
Aug 17, 2004
Melbourne
Visit site
✟16,804.00
Faith
Protestant
Hedgehog said:

Micro-millennialism. :) Mini-millennialists see the millennium going from 30 to 70 AD, while micro-millennialists see the millennium occurring on the cross.

So, do you see the bowls of wrath, etc. being poured out on Jesus?

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
StAnselm said:
Micro-millennialism. :) Mini-millennialists see the millennium going from 30 to 70 AD, while micro-millennialists see the millennium occurring on the cross.

Micro-millennialism eh?

The Milennium being fulfilled in the span of one earth day?

Interesting notion.
Not quite sure I buy into it, but it is certainly plausable.

An earth "day" is "as 1000 years to God" after all......

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.