Sep 11, 2008
Florida
Visit site
✟35,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
from a specific level it's going to look very different from person to person, but from a broad view, I think He wants the same basic thing for us. He wants us to be filled with joy and love, and He wants us to be courageous to boldly declare His name, sharing His gospel and ministering to His people.

Upvote 0

Balugon

o( ' . ' )o
Jul 18, 2005
The Looking Glass
✟32,114.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
"10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10

I think this just about sums it up. Our own wrong actions, the wrong actions of others, and the actions of Satan make our lives worse. This is what makes our lives miserable. Jesus came not only so that we could get into heaven, but also because he wanted to make our lives more happy and fulfilled. And the more people draw near to God, especially for the Body as a group, the more amazing and great our lives will be.

God wants to see us so happy it's mind-blowing, and he purposely does actions to try to help get us there. The problem is, the world is so full of evil, that a lot of what God would like to do he can't, because people aren't listening to him and they keep hurting each other.

Upvote 0
T

trentlogain2

someone told me that there is no such thing as a "permissive will" of God, and as i look in The Bible i only see 'the perfect will" of God. anyway, some verses I believe that keep us in the will of God are the ones that talk about keeping His [Jesus'] commandments, loving God will all you have, and loving your neighbour as yourself.

this is how i see it right now.

Upvote 0

~Beauty_from_Pain~

By His grace, For His glory
Jul 29, 2005
USA
✟41,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
someone told me that there is no such thing as a "permissive will" of God, and as i look in The Bible i only see 'the perfect will" of God. anyway, some verses I believe that keep us in the will of God are the ones that talk about keeping His [Jesus'] commandments, loving God will all you have, and loving your neighbour as yourself.

this is how i see it right now.

Are you the one who told me in another thread about making decisions that I just needed to do something because God didn't have it sorted out for me specifically?

The book I am reading is showing me some different things. Like what our responsibility is on things and such. It's different than I've believed on some things. in one way it is liberating to not be searching for a specific will of God except that we are to love Him and follow Him....and to make our own decisions. In another sense though it is sort of scary...

The part where I get stuck is: if God just wants us to make a decision...and we have NO clue what we want to do. Then what do we do? If God won't give us direction and we don't have a clue as to how to move forward....where does that leave us? Just sitting where we are at?

Upvote 0
T

trentlogain2

Are you the one who told me in another thread about making decisions that I just needed to do something because God didn't have it sorted out for me specifically?

The book I am reading is showing me some different things. Like what our responsibility is on things and such. It's different than I've believed on some things. in one way it is liberating to not be searching for a specific will of God except that we are to love Him and follow Him....and to make our own decisions. In another sense though it is sort of scary...

The part where I get stuck is: if God just wants us to make a decision...and we have NO clue what we want to do. Then what do we do? If God won't give us direction and we don't have a clue as to how to move forward....where does that leave us? Just sitting where we are at?
I don't know. How do you usually get answers from God? I'm curious.

Upvote 0

~Beauty_from_Pain~

Jul 29, 2005
USA
✟41,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know. How do you usually get answers from God? I'm curious.

Usually I feel at peace about a decision or when it seems like I have gone for something and got has opened all the doors, then that to me seems like something I should be doing. It is never really the same. 2 years ago I wanted to go to Bible College and got accepted and then started to feel a sense of uneasyness about it. After talking it through with my pastor and wise friends and praying I realized that God was saying no. Cant really say how I know, I just did. And I see it was right because I was going for the wrong reasons. Then last year I wanted to move and no jobs ever came available where I wanted to move, so I took that as saying "no."

Upvote 0

Balugon

o( ' . ' )o
Jul 18, 2005
The Looking Glass
✟32,114.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

If God is choosing not to give you insight into direction, and he wants you to make a choice, it may be even as simple as you are going to learn more from making the choice and working through it, than you would if God gave you an answer and you mindlessly followed it. Do you remember the parable of the talents? God gave the 3 people different amounts of money, and he wanted them to go and make it profitable/bring a return from it. The parable doesn't say God hovered over them the whole time making sure they were doing exactly what he wanted. Sometimes learning the skills of how to do stuff wisely is more important than being able to simply always obey at a whim. God wants sons and daughters, not robots. And even if you make a mistake, sometimes it merely reveals something you were missing, and having it revealed allows you to learn from it and grow out of it. Experience is not necessarily your enemy. And sometimes, even if a kid makes something that is imperfect, when they make it for their parent, sometimes the parent still thinks it's the most beautiful thing in the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Charles Stanley happened to preach on this this week. Here's the link. If you watch this week it will come up by clicking the link. You might also need to click play. But after this week it will go into the archives. I thought it was very encouraging and helpful. God wants us to seek and find His will. He does not hold back. But He does not give us the whole plan all at once. It seemed like the book you are reading implied that He doesn't reveal His will. I don't think that is true. I don't think it matches up with His heart or grace. It puts too much on us frail little humans. It's very much like the new age. A heavy load. And Jesus said His burden for us was light. Anyway, here's the link. Home - In Touch Ministries - Dr. Charles Stanley 2010

Blessings, A

Upvote 0

~Beauty_from_Pain~

Jul 29, 2005
USA
✟41,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Charles Stanley happened to preach on this this week. Here's the link. If you watch this week it will come up by clicking the link. You might also need to click play. But after this week it will go into the archives. I thought it was very encouraging and helpful. God wants us to seek and find His will. He does not hold back. But He does not give us the whole plan all at once. It seemed like the book you are reading implied that He doesn't reveal His will. I don't think that is true. I don't think it matches up with His heart or grace. It puts too much on us frail little humans. It's very much like the new age. A heavy load. And Jesus said His burden for us was light. Anyway, here's the link. Home - In Touch Ministries - Dr. Charles Stanley 2010

Blessings, A

Thank you, I'm going to check it out!

Upvote 0

~Beauty_from_Pain~

Jul 29, 2005
USA
✟41,978.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
If God is choosing not to give you insight into direction, and he wants you to make a choice, it may be even as simple as you are going to learn more from making the choice and working through it, than you would if God gave you an answer and you mindlessly followed it. Do you remember the parable of the talents? God gave the 3 people different amounts of money, and he wanted them to go and make it profitable/bring a return from it. The parable doesn't say God hovered over them the whole time making sure they were doing exactly what he wanted. Sometimes learning the skills of how to do stuff wisely is more important than being able to simply always obey at a whim. God wants sons and daughters, not robots. And even if you make a mistake, sometimes it merely reveals something you were missing, and having it revealed allows you to learn from it and grow out of it. Experience is not necessarily your enemy. And sometimes, even if a kid makes something that is imperfect, when they make it for their parent, sometimes the parent still thinks it's the most beautiful thing in the world.

That's a great thought. Thanks so much for sharing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SmileAndAHandshake

Senior Veteran
Oct 1, 2003
✟19,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Blind post

What are your thoughts on the "will of God" for our lives?

My thoughts are that God's will is unique for each individual, and that no one should be concerned with anyone's life path but his or her own. We are all individually responsible for the road we travel; whether or not we listen to God's advice along the way is up to us, and what forms that advice may take and what message it might bring are unique answers that may change drastically from person to person.

Upvote 0

chocoberries

Feb 26, 2010
✟252.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow, that is very true, the will God has for your life may not be revealed all at once. I mean, imagine if a 5 year old child was told they were going to be the next president in the future! (not saying that cannot happen). I'm sure God would prepare the child for this and gradually, more and more of His perfect will for the child's life will be revealed.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My father and I were having a discussion about this very subject this past weekend.

Provincial will
Holy will
one other kind...can't remember exactly how he sliced it up...

BUT

God's will is always good and pure.
One of them is just cause it is what He wants to do.
And us...we need to conform to God's will. There is a lot of speculation as to how to conform to God's will...and we are either in it or we ain't.

BUT

We cannot "thwart" God's plan for our lives. We will be and behave exactly as God has planned. We can't do anything but...I ain't exactly advocating against free will. But it goes to the subject of God knowing everything...including our future. So...take heart.

Upvote 0

DanC922

Dec 18, 2004
Wichita, Kansas
✟1,604.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I think there's a few different ways to help us understand God's will, but we can only go so far because of our limited ability to know God's character.

One way is to separate His will into "passive" and "active" will. He has a will as a whole, but chooses to act in certain ways, which we don't understand, on His will or not. However, His ultimate will is going to be achieved. He will be most glorified.

Second, is "secret" and "revealed" will. It's similar to above and is tied in with it, but slightly different. This is more in direct reference to us. His secret will is that which belongs to Him only, and has not been revealed to us. He has not revealed his entire character, nor how He does a lot of things. His revealed will is primarily the Bible. He has revealed Himself, much of His character, and most importantly, the Gospel.

The best way to know the will of God is to understand that God is first and primarily after our affections and desire for Him. Just look at the constant condemnation of mere religious obedience throughout the Bible. We should always be seeking to learn more about who God is in the Bible, what the Gospel means, how every Scripture points to Jesus and the Gospel, and what it means for us.

Romans 12:2 says to, "be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God." And Colossians 3:16 says, "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God."

We need to be transformed by knowing the Word of God, changing our affections. And John 14:25-26 says, ""These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you." We need to know the Word of God (and not just the Bible as the Word of God, but know and love Jesus as the Word) and the Spirit in us will bring to mind what we've learned and help us be sanctified.

So God will change our affections by the Word and His Spirit. And predicated by all of that, Martin Luther said, "Love God and do what you want."

Upvote 0