puppy

loves you
Jul 8, 2004
scotland
Visit site
✟14,345.00
Faith
Anglican
so what wildlife do you have in your locality ?

where i used to live there were lots of fields and woods so we used to have alot of deer and one time i saw a fox really close to me

i was walking through the village where i was living at the time and saw what i thought was a dog but couldnt see his owner anywhere and he appeared to be trotting along to the busy main road so to attract his attention away from going near the road i coughed

the dog stopped dead in its tracks and looked at me so i said 'hello boy where you going ?' to which he turned heel back to the fields in the opposite direction as fast as a cheetah almost and it was then i realised it was a fox and not a dog !

that was amazing experience for me to be that close to a fox although it was bigger than i expected a fox to be so i figured it was a male...

my encounters with deer are just as fantastic, i used to have to walk down a country road where i lived to the bus every morning in the early hours (usually around half past 6 in the morning) and there she was just by the road side sniffing at the hedgerow, i called her prudence and used to say good morning to her most days and shed trot along a little bit to keep a safe distance from me before disappearing into a neighbours garden and into the woods from where she came

Daughter of His

Believing God
Feb 1, 2004
On my computer chair
✟76,711.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
What a great question !

I think the most interesting wild creatures we have here are the armadillos. They look like they are carrying armour on their backs and have cute little ears. They are somewhat tame, so you can get a good look at them.

I've also seen a beaver once after a flooding rain and I had not realized how large they really are. He was smacking his tail on the water before he swam away, my dog had a lot to do with that.

Upvote 0

Dawn Marie

Soda for Wine
Oct 27, 2002
Ontario
✟19,684.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
Hmm, around here... there are foxes, raccoons, whitetail deer, groundhogs, turkey vultures, redtailed hawks, and I have seen a couple coyotes around here in my life. None of these are very common anymore though... it's a big deal to see any of them - apart from a skunk. lol

Upvote 0

Oblivious

Matthew 7:12
Nov 6, 2003
The Mile High City
✟31,244.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely! :)

I live in the foothills so on a regular bass I see deer, foxes, & coyotes. I've smelled a skunk but thank God I didn't see it! :eek: One of my neighbors was telling me that a bear was on his porch on it's hind legs drinking out of his Hummingbird feeder! Luckily, I haven't seen a bear yet either!

Upvote 0

LiberatedChick

Contributor
Jun 28, 2004
UK
✟21,289.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I live in a town so there's the usual load of birds that love urban areas...particulary pigeons. However, there's a river running through the town so around that we have swans, geese, canada geese, ducks, coots, herons, kingfishers etc. In the parks there's also many squirrels.

Where I work is out in the countryside so there we get a lot of rabbits, hares, collared doves, phesants and deer. I actually had a deer run right past me once...that made me jump as I didn't even know it was there until it ran in front of me and ran off into the trees.

Upvote 0

StormeTorque

Floreat Dunelmia
Aug 28, 2003
Visit site
✟17,535.00
Faith
Agnostic
There are the usual animals round where I live including rabbits, hares, squirrels, hedgehogs, foxes, roe deer and perhaps badgers. There are quite a lot of different birds though, and once we saw a flock of waxwings in our back garden which came down and ate lots of rowan berries from the trees.

Within an hours drive or so you could see Red Deer, introduced reindeer, wildcats, red squirrels, Golden Eagles etc. There were even some European Beavers reintroduced a year or two ago. I hope that wild boar and wolves are also reintroduced into the Scottish highlands in future.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpaceProg

Renegade Time Lord
Jan 27, 2004
Here and there. Mostly there.
✟10,195.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
US-Others
Let's see... In this area (NW Georgia, USA)there are (that I've seen and/or heard about):

Possums, squirrels, beavers, rats, mice, many different kinds of snakes (Venomous and non-venomous), Several kinds of bats, insects and spiders (goes without saying, really), red-tailed hawks, sharp-shinned hawks, Cooper's hawks, American Kestrels, screech owls, great horned owls, barn owls, turkey vultures, black vultures, great blue herons, little green herons, mallard ducks, brown ducks, wood ducks, ruddy ducks, loons, buffleheads, Canada geese, crows, starlings (Euro import), mourning doves, pigeons (aka: Rock dove, also a Euro import), blackbirds, meadowlarks, goldfinches, house finches, cardinals, blue jays, black bears, white tailed deer, wild pigs (Import), foxes, coyotes, bobcats, weasels, many MANY different kinds of freshwater fish...

... I'm running out of steam, I know I'm forgetting quite a few... ah well. Shows how much of a critter and nature nut I am. :p

Upvote 0

Faithful nonbeliever

Professional arguer
Jul 18, 2004
Alaska
✟8,556.00
Faith
Agnostic
Well I live in Alaska, so I get to see bears, moose, wolves, wolverine, about everything you can imagine. Beside gators and snakes that is. We always had moose in our yards as a kid, we could even feed them. Unfortunately we have a lot of motor vehicle accidents with them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.