Wifely Submission

Should a Christian wife obey and submit to her husband at all times?

• Yes, without question regardless of what the husband commands.

• Only if the husband is a Christian or if he isn't asking for something immoral.

• Submission/obedience is archaic and overrated.

• Other/Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
It just came to me!!! Here is how Christian marriage should work...
A little late, eh? Did you break it to your husband already? :)

Picture Jesus washing the feet of His disciples. He is of course, the Head of the Church, and so, husbands in their Head of Home roles should become the servant to be the leader.
I wonder why this servant/leader idea is so important to you (or your god) that you need to escape to such dialectic brain gymnastics? I mean, why not simply...ah, nevermind. ;)

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A little late, eh? Did you break it to your husband already? :)

I wonder why this servant/leader idea is so important to you (or your god) that you need to escape to such dialectic brain gymnastics? I mean, why not simply...ah, nevermind. ;)

Well, I have been married to a drug addict for 21 years, so yeah, it is pretty important to me to know how a marriage should work. It is what I pray for, so whatever mental gymnastics it takes for you to understand human suffering, I suggest you do so.

Sorry, there are no smilies to add to my response. I just fine your remark a little uncaring and oblivious to why people seek the face of God on these matters.

Lisa

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Well, I have been married to a drug addict for 21 years, so yeah, it is pretty important to me to know how a marriage should work. It is what I pray for, so whatever mental gymnastics it takes for you to understand human suffering, I suggest you do so.

Sorry, there are no smilies to add to my response. I just fine your remark a little uncaring and oblivious to why people seek the face of God on these matters.
I didn´t know about your personal situation, and my remarks were not and could not be in any way customized to you or your situation. It was written in a light-hearted manner. I´m honestly sorry for having hurt you. It was not my intention.
I find it a little unfair, though, to change the topic from leader/servant/submission to understanding human suffering out of the blue, and I feel a little frustrated to find my post viewed as though it were meant to comment on this new topic, and I have no clue which connection you see between the two.

Upvote 0

Lisa0315

Respect Catholics and the Mother Church!
Jul 17, 2005
At The Feet of Jesus
✟37,577.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I didn´t know about your personal situation, and my remarks were not and could not be in any way customized to you or your situation. It was written in a light-hearted manner. I´m honestly sorry for having hurt you. It was not my intention.
I find it a little unfair, though, to change the topic from leader/servant/submission to understanding human suffering out of the blue, and I feel a little frustrated to find my post viewed as though it were meant to comment on this new topic, and I have no clue which connection you see between the two.

Sorry, just ignore me today. I am overly sensitive right now. You are right on all counts...

Lisa

Upvote 0

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah, you have to love these salvationist monotheistic religions and there[sic] total disenfranchisement of women.

yeahthat.gif

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It just came to me!!! Here is how Christian marriage should work...

Picture Jesus washing the feet of His disciples. He is of course, the Head of the Church, and so, husbands in their Head of Home roles should become the servant to be the leader.

Lisa

I am aware of other posts following this one. I also want to introduce myself as this will be my first post. I am pretty much the worst nightmare of some who claim to be Chrsitian. I am not a believer, but I am well read and understand what is said.

I think you actually have hit pretty close to dead center of the target. I will not even try to hit closer.

Also my compliments to most who have posted on this thread. I have seen a lot of thoughtful posts, in both meanings of the word. Posts that show thought and posts that show concern for others. In this case that may be more important than many here might realize. I came here because of a thread of a purely secular board. The thread in question started with a link to a site that simply put had quotes from Christians that were foolish, unChristian or both. And yes that means one such quote was in this thread. Actually reading a lot of this thread has shown that at least here it was the exception. Sorry to report that on some other 'Christian' boards this was not the case.

But I ramble. I thought some here might benefit from my attempts to pass on some of the thoughts of C.S. Lewis. I hope I can do them justice. Speaking on this very topic he first utterly rejected the idea that Christian Submission meant not giving the feelings and thoughts of the wife equal weight. He felt and felt strongly that discussion and finding a common answer was best if that could be done. But he also pointed out that there will be times where agreement does not come and that in a group of 2 democracy has a problem since the vote is always tied. In this he argued for the wisdom of scripture on purely practicle grounds. First that the husband usually had more contact with outsiders, perhaps less true today, but still more often the case then the opposite (as opposed to equal contact). Second he claimed that the woman usually is more prone to look to the good of her family over the just concerns of others. Lewis did not see this as a fault, rather a needed balance and almost sacred trust. But in hte end he once again came back to repeat that the headship discussed really only applies when it really is down to a 'tie vote' and he was equally firm that the price paid for this headship was the willingness to sacrifice for his wife at the same level that Christ sacrificed for the Church, that not being just death but crucifixion.

Reactions: rainy
Upvote 0