Jun 27, 2007
✟201,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Abraham was given God's Laws, God's Judgments, God's Statutes and God's Commandments. Same as Moses.
No, scripture is quite clear. Law distinct to/from Moses was 430 years after.
I will not rehash this over and over. If this simple fact cannot be settled there is no sense in going further into Law Abraham had.

Upvote 0

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟325,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, scripture is quite clear. Law distinct to/from Moses was 430 years after.

It's foolishness to preach to others that God's Laws, Statutes, Judgments and Commandments HE gave to Abraham, wasn't given until 430 years after Abraham. I know this world's religions preach this foolishness, but Paul and Jesus tell us to "Take heed" of such a teaching.

Gen. 18: 19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

Gen. 26: 5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

There was a LAW "ADDED" to God's Laws, Statutes, Judgments and Commandments that Abraham obeyed. That was the LAW concerning burnt offerings and sacrifices for sins that wasn't given until after Israel broke God's Covenant with them. I don't get this teaching from some random religion of this world, rather, it's right in my Bible and yours. All a man needs is belief.

Jer. 7: 22 For I spake not unto your fathers, "nor commanded them" (No Law yet) in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices: 23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you. 24 But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.

It was after this that God "ADDED" a Law "Because of transgressions" concerning burnt offerings and sacrifices for sins. Abraham was justified "apart" from this Law that was "ADDED" 430 years after him, till the true Lamb of God should come. And rightly so, these Sacrificial "works of the law" was a shadow of what HE would do for the repentant. When HE came, there was no more need of the Shadow, so no more need of God's Commands "concerning burnt offering and sacrifices" for sins that were "ADDED" because of Transgressions of God's Laws, Statutes, Judgments and commandments Abraham obeyed.

This Law, part of the "The Levitical Priesthood" was ADDED because of transgressions, "Til the SEED Should Come", and it was a LAW Abraham didn't have, as Levi wasn't even born until long after Abraham died. It's all in your Bible, but perhaps not in your philosophy. I advocate for the Holy Scriptures for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

I think Peter said it best. "Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men."

I will not rehash this over and over. If this simple fact cannot be settled there is no sense in going further into Law Abraham had.

It seems a man should listen to God's Word in these matters, that is why I post them. I can see you aren't interested in discussing actual scriptures. But I did post them for discussion in love for the brethren.

Reactions: Davy
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
One question, what do you mean by the New Covenant is the New Priesthood?
There is no Scriptural support for any type of priesthood similar to the Levitical priesthood of the Old Testament. When Christianity was made the state religion of Rome, the pagan temples were converted to Christian churches and the pagan priesthood was changed to the priesthood that is part of the Roman Catholic church. The Anglican priesthood is just an echo of what the Church of England was before Henry VIII split from Rome. There are Evangelical churches who have ministers who conduct themselves as priests in that they think they are mediators between the congregation and God. Any church pastor or minister who purports to have a special calling to approach God on behalf of the people is acting as a "priest", but has no Scriptural support for it. We don't have to follow any instructions or teaching from such ministers or pastors.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟325,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One question, what do you mean by the New Covenant is the New Priesthood?

According to Scriptures God's "LAWS" didn't change in His Promise of a New Covenant. Only the manner in which God's Laws are to be administered, and the manner in which transgressions of God's Laws are forgiven. You can read this for yourself in Jer. 31.

According to Scriptures God made a Covenant with the Children of Israel.

Ex. 19: 5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: 6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

God made this same promise to Abraham.

Gen. 17: 1 And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect. 2 And I will make my covenant between me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.

Abraham was Faithful to God as HE explains to Abraham's son.

Gen. 26: 4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; 5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

But the Children of Israel didn't do the works of Abraham, and "Transgressed God's Commandments", breaking the Covenant God made with them.

This prompted God to destroy them because by them HIS name was blasphemed among the nations.

Ex. 32: 9 And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people: 10 Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.

So did God destroy them, and continue with the "children of Moses"?

No, Moses stood between God and the People and pleaded for their life, and God relented.

30 And it came to pass on the morrow, that Moses said unto the people, Ye have sinned a great sin: and now I will go up unto the LORD; peradventure I shall make an atonement for your sin. 31 And Moses returned unto the LORD, and said, Oh, this people have sinned a great sin, and have made them gods of gold. 32 Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written.

Remember, there is no Covenant which exists between God and these people at this time. The Tables of Stone, shattered into pieces, and the Covenant God made with them broken.

Moses went to God and sought another Covenant. The one they had and broke contained no sacrificial "Works" for atonement. As it is written.

Jer. 22: 22 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices: 23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.

This is the same Covenant God made with Abraham.

So this begs the Question, "where did the "LAWS" concerning burnt offerings and sacrifices for Sin come from? Paul tells us in Galatians 3 that it was "ADDED" because of Transgressions, "Til the seed should come".

So Moses went up the 2nd time to God and obtained another Covenant.

Ex. 34: 1 And the LORD said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest.

So the LAW stayed the same, but God "ADDED" Sacrificial "Works" to provide for forgiveness which didn't exist in the Covenant God made with Abraham or his Children in Egypt in the day HE led them out.

These "works" were part of the Priesthood "After the Order of Aaron", AKA, the Levitical Priesthood. It dealt with Justification/forgiveness of sins and only a man from the Tribe of Levi could partake of this Priesthood. (Leviticus 4) Hebrews 7-10 describe this Biblical Truth very well.

It was this Priesthood Law and its duties concerning the manner in which God's Laws were administered, and sins are forgiven, that were prophesied to change. And of course, it was temporary in its creation. As we can surely agree that God knew His Prophesied Priest, the Messiah, would come from the Tribe of Judah, and not Levi when He gave Levi His Priesthood Covenant. (Heb. 7:11-14)

We no longer go to the Levite Priest, who sits in Moses Seat, to hear the word of God because God has delivered His Oracles into our own home, into our own mind. We no longer are required to take a goat to the Levite Priest and kill it, so he can take the blood and partake in sacrificial "works of the Law" for remission of sins. The Christ of the Bible has shed HIS blood to atone for the sins of the repentant once and for all. But God's definition of Sin never changed.

This understanding is based on Scriptures and as is the case throughout known history, the religions of this world we are born into, do not reflect the truth of Scriptures. That is why Jesus and His Chosen Apostles warned of the philosophy's doctrines and traditions of men "Who come in Christ's Name".

Do the study in the confines of your own home, apart from teachings of this world's religions, and you will find the same as I did.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟325,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is no Scriptural support for any type of priesthood similar to the Levitical priesthood of the Old Testament.

I agree in part. The Priesthood changed, but the Priesthood Duties did not. We still need a teacher for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:, and we still need an advocate between us and God. We still need blood to atone for our sins, and a Priest to offer this Blood to God on our behalf.

As Promised, God has delivered His Oracles into our own homes, into our own minds so we all have the Holy Scriptures, or as Paul calls them, "The Gospel of Christ", which is where God's Righteousness and His Wrath against unrighteousness is revealed. And as Abraham also knew, "God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering", which HE has already done. So we have the Blood available for us. All we need now, as Paul taught, is to repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

When Christianity was made the state religion of Rome, the pagan temples were converted to Christian churches and the pagan priesthood was changed to the priesthood that is part of the Roman Catholic church. The Anglican priesthood is just an echo of what the Church of England was before Henry VIII split from Rome. There are Evangelical churches who have ministers who conduct themselves as priests in that they think they are mediators between the congregation and God.

Remember, Jesus could have warned His Disciples when they asked about the future, about Islam, Buddha, Atheists, even satan worshippers. But HE didn't. HE warned about ONE specific religion.

Matt. 24: 3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. 5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I (Jesus) am Christ; and shall deceive many.

In all the world, there is only ONE religion who comes in Christ's Name, who preaches that Jesus is truly the Messiah.

The true Gospel of Christ is not and has not ever been the "State Religion" of this world or any of its kingdom. If He came here today as a man, and simply said what HE said as the Christ of the Bible, HE would be kicked out of every manmade shrine of worship on the planet.

Any church pastor or minister who purports to have a special calling to approach God on behalf of the people is acting as a "priest", but has no Scriptural support for it. We don't have to follow any instructions or teaching from such ministers or pastors.

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more, as it is written;

Acts 5: 29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

And again;

2 Tim. 3: 15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Luke 16: 30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

The RCC kept many of the traditions of the Pharisees including their religious business model. And most all Protestant and other "Christian" religions have adopted this business model as well. Religions of this world have always been big money.

The Body of Christ "of the bible" never partook of these worldly marketing strategies.

The teaching that the Old Covenant is the LAW and Prophets in a popular religious philosophy of this world. But according to Scriptures, what changed was the Priesthood Covenant. Do the study for yourself.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is no Scriptural support for any type of priesthood similar to the Levitical priesthood of the Old Testament. When Christianity was made the state religion of Rome, the pagan temples were converted to Christian churches and the pagan priesthood was changed to the priesthood that is part of the Roman Catholic church. The Anglican priesthood is just an echo of what the Church of England was before Henry VIII split from Rome. There are Evangelical churches who have ministers who conduct themselves as priests in that they think they are mediators between the congregation and God. Any church pastor or minister who purports to have a special calling to approach God on behalf of the people is acting as a "priest", but has no Scriptural support for it. We don't have to follow any instructions or teaching from such ministers or pastors.
The old prefigures the new. In OT times men would confess their sins and priests would make a sacrifice for atonement. In the NT:

John 20:20-23 Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.“

In both the OT and NT God works through His priests, the old is fulfilled in the new with Jesus as our one High Priest forgiving sins through his priests in the NT. As to churches, once Constantine allowed Christians to practice their faith freely and publicly some thought by Catholics went into what a physical church should look like. Churches were not built right away, it was in a period ten to twenty years later when Catholics built so many physical churches. Those first churches were plain on the inside and beautiful on the inside.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
There is no Scriptural support for any type of priesthood similar to the Levitical priesthood of the Old Testament.
There is the priesthood of Melchizedek however. Christ being high priest. Who are the Levites as foreshadowed in the law?
When Christianity was made the state religion of Rome, the pagan temples were converted to Christian churches and the pagan priesthood was changed to the priesthood that is part of the Roman Catholic church.
This appears to be a very simplified bias.
So please give us what the apostolic priesthood was and should be.
1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I agree in part. The Priesthood changed, but the Priesthood Duties did not. We still need a teacher for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:, and we still need an advocate between us and God. We still need blood to atone for our sins, and a Priest to offer this Blood to God on our behalf.

As Promised, God has delivered His Oracles into our own homes, into our own minds so we all have the Holy Scriptures, or as Paul calls them, "The Gospel of Christ", which is where God's Righteousness and His Wrath against unrighteousness is revealed. And as Abraham also knew, "God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering", which HE has already done. So we have the Blood available for us. All we need now, as Paul taught, is to repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Remember, Jesus could have warned His Disciples when they asked about the future, about Islam, Buddha, Atheists, even satan worshippers. But HE didn't. HE warned about ONE specific religion.

Matt. 24: 3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you. 5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I (Jesus) am Christ; and shall deceive many.

In all the world, there is only ONE religion who comes in Christ's Name, who preaches that Jesus is truly the Messiah.

The true Gospel of Christ is not and has not ever been the "State Religion" of this world or any of its kingdom. If He came here today as a man, and simply said what HE said as the Christ of the Bible, HE would be kicked out of every manmade shrine of worship on the planet.

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more, as it is written;

Acts 5: 29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

And again;

2 Tim. 3: 15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Luke 16: 30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

The RCC kept many of the traditions of the Pharisees including their religious business model. And most all Protestant and other "Christian" religions have adopted this business model as well. Religions of this world have always been big money.

The Body of Christ "of the bible" never partook of these worldly marketing strategies.

The teaching that the Old Covenant is the LAW and Prophets in a popular religious philosophy of this world. But according to Scriptures, what changed was the Priesthood Covenant. Do the study for yourself.
Well put. Jesus Himself became our great high priest, the sole mediator between God and man. We don't need a human mediator to enable us to have direct fellowship with God. John says, "Truly our fellowship is with the Father and His Son Jesus Christ." We can go boldly to God's throne of grace to find mercy and grace to help in our time of need, without the need for any human agency to represent us before God.

Reactions: Studyman
Upvote 0

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟325,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well put. Jesus Himself became our great high priest, the sole mediator between God and man. We don't need a human mediator to enable us to have direct fellowship with God. John says, "Truly our fellowship is with the Father and His Son Jesus Christ." We can go boldly to God's throne of grace to find mercy and grace to help in our time of need, without the need for any human agency to represent us before God.
Amen brother.

Our God has given us all we need including His Armor to withstand the wiles of the devil.

We need only to put it on.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The old prefigures the new. In OT times men would confess their sins and priests would make a sacrifice for atonement. In the NT:

John 20:20-23 Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.“

In both the OT and NT God works through His priests, the old is fulfilled in the new with Jesus as our one High Priest forgiving sins through his priests in the NT. As to churches, once Constantine allowed Christians to practice their faith freely and publicly some thought by Catholics went into what a physical church should look like. Churches were not built right away, it was in a period ten to twenty years later when Catholics built so many physical churches. Those first churches were plain on the inside and beautiful on the inside.
The Bible tells me that I am a king and a priest and I am looking to Jesus my great High Priest as my mediator between God and me. I don't need a human priest to represent me before God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There is the priesthood of Melchizedek however. Christ being high priest. Who are the Levites as foreshadowed in the law?

1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
I just got my information from early church history. There was no such thing as the "apostolic priesthood" anywhere in the New Testament. It is church history that tells me that the pagan Roman priests were "repackaged" and reformed into priests in the reformated pagan temples turned into Christian churches. Therefore any modern priesthood has pagan origins, not Biblical.

By the way, did you know that Easter has pagan origins, and was instituted because of anti-Semiticism by the church? Christ was actually crucified at the Jewish passover, but the anti-Semitic church deliberately chose a different time for Easter to avoid any connection with anything Jewish. So if we are to properly observe the death and resurrection of Christ, it should be at the same time as the Jewish Passover. Just something to throw into the pot! :)

Upvote 0

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟325,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

A true Levite Priest is of the heart as God shows us in Malachi 2 and Paul confirms in Romans.

“1 John 2 shows men how to k ow if they are in the Royal Priesthood, or not.

The Christ of the Bible said “many” would come in the name of God’s High Priest, but are actually deceivers. He said we would know them by their works.

He said, as the Rock of Israel, that a Priest should Seek the Law at Gods Mouth, not religious men.

I believe Him.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
God did not need any priests or prophets, but He chose to work through them. Many ignored them.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I just got my information from early church history. There was no such thing as the "apostolic priesthood" anywhere in the New Testament. It is church history that tells me that the pagan Roman priests were "repackaged" and reformed into priests in the reformated pagan temples turned into Christian churches. Therefore any modern priesthood has pagan origins, not Biblical.

By the way, did you know that Easter has pagan origins, and was instituted because of anti-Semiticism by the church? Christ was actually crucified at the Jewish passover, but the anti-Semitic church deliberately chose a different time for Easter to avoid any connection with anything Jewish. So if we are to properly observe the death and resurrection of Christ, it should be at the same time as the Jewish Passover. Just something to throw into the pot! :)
The priesthood of Melchizedek is not pagan. Nor is the true tabernacle in heaven. You do not need to add rabbinic judaic sacraments to make the Lords supper valid.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The priesthood of Melchizedek is not pagan. Nor is the true tabernacle in heaven. You do not need to add rabbinic judaic sacraments to make the Lords supper valid.
It is the Priesthood of Christ that is after the order of Melchizedek. Modern church priesthood is an invention that was instituted when Christianity became the state religion of Rome. It is based on the model of the pagan priesthood that existed in the pagan temples of Rome. The Lord's Supper as instituted by the Lord is a remembrance of his death on the Cross. The Eucharist, involving a continuing sacrifice is the result of a pagan ritual mixed with Christian. Sunday worship was put in place by the Emperor Theodocius in order to merge pagan and Christian worshipers. The Church continued it because of its anti-Semitic attitude, wanting to separate itself from anything Jewish. This is why Easter coincides with the pagan spring festival held at the same time, while Jesus was crucified at the Jewish Passover. So if we should be observing the crucifixion and resurrection weekend, it should be at the same time as the Jewish Passover. The word "Easter" comes from the pagan festival with a similar name, and the Easter bunny and eggs are the pagan side of it. It is the same with the 25th December Christmas, which is the pagan winter festival Christianized. The Yule log, Christmas tree, mistletoe etc., are pagan mixed in with the story of the birth of Christ. As our western societies have largely departed from the Christian observances of Christmas and Easter, the pagan components have become more prominent for most people, except the really committed Christian believers (who are rapidly becoming a minority in our communities).

Last edited:
Reactions: Studyman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
God did not need any priests or prophets, but He chose to work through them. Many ignored them.
Hebrews 1:1 says that in past times God spoke through His servants the prophets, but in these last days He speaks through His Son. What this means that in these days, God speaks through His Great High Priest, Jesus Christ. The Scripture says that there is no other mediator between God and man, than Jesus Christ. This means God does not use any human priest to mediate between us and him. We can come boldly to God's throne of grace to find mercy and grace to help in our time of need. We don't need to go through a priest to do that. In fact, going through a human priest is an insult to God and a denial of Christ as our Great High Priest and sole mediator between man and God.

Upvote 0

Studyman

Site Supporter
Apr 18, 2020
Michigan
✟325,466.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is the Priesthood of Christ that is after the order of Melchizedek. Modern church priesthood is an invention that was instituted when Christianity became the state religion of Rome. It is based on the model of the pagan priesthood that existed in the pagan temples of Rome.

This is true, I would only ADD that it was the Pharisees who first created the idea of a religious business based in part on God's Word, which created wealth and power for the religious leaders. The RCC copied their religious business strategy and perfected it further creating HUGE wealth and power for the religious leadership. And her Protest daughters adopted the same marketing strategy which continues to this day.

I do believe it is Pagan in origin, caused in part, by the influence of Solomon's Pagan Wifes brought into the Temple.

The Lord's Supper as instituted by the Lord is a remembrance of his death on the Cross. The Eucharist, involving a continuing sacrifice is the result of a pagan ritual mixed with Christian. Sunday worship was put in place by the Emperor Theodocius in order to merge pagan and Christian worshipers. The Church continued it because of its anti-Semitic attitude, wanting to separate itself from anything Jewish. This is why Easter coincides with the pagan spring festival held at the same time, while Jesus was crucified at the Jewish Passover. So if we should be observing the crucifixion and resurrection weekend, it should be at the same time as the Jewish Passover. The word "Easter" comes from the pagan festival with a similar name, and the Easter bunny and eggs are the pagan side of it. It is the same with the 25th December Christmas, which is the pagan winter festival Christianized. The Yule log, Christmas tree, mistletoe etc., are pagan mixed in with the story of the birth of Christ. As our western societies have largely departed from the Christian observances of Christmas and Easter, the pagan components have become more prominent for most people, except the really committed Christian believers (who are rapidly becoming a minority in our communities).

Our family stopped participating in these religious traditions of men when my daughter was very young. Choosing instead the feasts of the Lord. We don't miss it one bit but are certainly aware of their influence in this world. I do find Jeremiahs words regarding this most popular religious institution of this world fascinating.

Jer. 10: 1 Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel: 2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. 3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. 4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. 5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

These festivals have been going on in the religions of this world for a long time.

Great Post, but a hard pill for "many" who come in Christ's Name, to swallow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
This is true, I would only ADD that it was the Pharisees who first created the idea of a religious business based in part on God's Word, which created wealth and power for the religious leaders. The RCC copied their religious business strategy and perfected it further creating HUGE wealth and power for the religious leadership. And her Protest and Pentecostal daughters adopted the same marketing strategy which continues to this day.

I do believe it is Pagan in origin, caused in part, by the influence of Solomon's Pagan Wifes brought into the Temple.

Our family stopped participating in these religious traditions of men when my daughter was very young. Choosing instead the feasts of the Lord. We don't miss it one bit but are certainly aware of their influence in this world. I do find Jeremiahs words regarding this most popular religious institution of this world fascinating.

Jer. 10: 1 Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel: 2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. 3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. 4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. 5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.

These festivals have been going on in the religions of this world for a long time.

Great Post, but a hard pill for "many" who come in Christ's Name, to swallow.
Part of the problem is the belief among many churches that the Christian church has replaced Israel. This is not true. God has a plan for Israel as shown in Romans and Revelation. God's plan is that Israel will repent and accept their Messiah. There is a Scripture that says that Jesus will return to the throne of David. What this means is that He was once present in Israel, but was rejected and left, but at the end time, He will return to take up His rightful place in a repentant Israel. There are many in our churches who do not accept this because they are anti-Semitic.

This is why there is a Rapture of the Christian church, to get it out of the way so that God can complete His plan for Israel. Once Jesus has come in person and the 1000 year reign is over, and Satan, along with the AntiChrist and False Prophet are dealt with, and unbelievers are judged before the Great White Throne and all these are thrown into the lake of fire, the distinction of Jew and Gentile will disappear with the coming of the New Jerusalem, and all will be one under Christ.

I know that this is a simplistic summary and will generate some debate. The best Youtube commentary that I have seen that clearly explains all this is Chuck Missler's commentary on Revelation. It is well worth viewing. He knows that many good scholars will disagree with him, but he tells his listeners to be like the Bereans in Acts 17:11 and do their own Biblical homework to come to their own opinions according to what they see in Scripture. He gives full Scriptural references to the points he makes, and these are a good starting point for personal research. The good point about him is that he fully honours Christ, and encourages his listeners to receive Christ as Saviour, putting their trust in the finished work of the Cross. When a bible teacher puts Christ first in his teaching then he is my kind of Bible teacher!

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟212,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 1:1 says that in past times God spoke through His servants the prophets, but in these last days He speaks through His Son. What this means that in these days, God speaks through His Great High Priest, Jesus Christ. The Scripture says that there is no other mediator between God and man, than Jesus Christ. This means God does not use any human priest to mediate between us and him. We can come boldly to God's throne of grace to find mercy and grace to help in our time of need. We don't need to go through a priest to do that. In fact, going through a human priest is an insult to God and a denial of Christ as our Great High Priest and sole mediator between man and God.
God sent out the Apostles and God spoke through them. God did not need to do so. Likewise God spoke through all of the NT writers beyond the Apostles, the record of Holy Scripture proves that. When Holy Scripture says there is no mediator between God and man but Jesus Christ, it does NOT mean you are to reject the entire New Testament because Jesus did not physically write those words. God often works through people, sometimes through objects or angels, that can be seen in the Bible. Know that when God works through priests or laymen or objects or angels that all power comes from God. We would be best to avail all of the avenues to God's graces that God has shown us.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟201,959.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It is the Priesthood of Christ that is after the order of Melchizedek.
Yes. We know this. Christ is high priest
Modern church priesthood is an invention that was instituted when Christianity became the state religion of Rome.
Modern? Not modern at all. it became legal under constantine, prior to that it was illegal in Rome
It is based on the model of the pagan priesthood that existed in the pagan temples of Rome.
No it is not.
The Lord's Supper as instituted by the Lord is a remembrance of his death on the Cross.
Yes, we do show our faith in his death and resurrection.
The Eucharist, involving a continuing sacrifice is the result of a pagan ritual mixed with Christian.
No I do not think so. But I do know where your rituals (sacraments) come from. they come from the Sanhedrin that Rome established at yavneh (jamnia) after the temple was destroyed.
Sunday worship was put in place by the Emperor Theodocius in order to merge pagan and Christian worshipers.
No Sunday had been the day Christians met before thoedosius, and before Christianity became legal.
The Church continued it because of its anti-Semitic attitude, wanting to separate itself from anything Jewish.
Well the Pharisees were established by the Roman government after the temple was destroyed. They refused Christian Jew's and persecution from illegality ensued. That was this situation.
This is why Easter coincides with the pagan spring festival held at the same time, while Jesus was crucified at the Jewish Passover.
The Rabbis at Yavneh pitted Judaism against the Church with it's sacraments, which it appears you are preaching for us to keep.
This generation usurped the authority of the priesthood, and began a new Judaism. This is what you keep for SACRAMENTS?

Upvote 0