Why was it moral what God told Abraham to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honoluluwindow

Sep 2, 2016
Hawaii
✟17,283.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Statements like these always make me wonder why we should care for God´s subjective perspective, in the first place (assuming for a moment that God exists, that God has an opinion on morals, and that we have figured out what this opinion is).
Understood. You'd have to be a student of scripture to answer that for yourself.

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read job 9

Job unknowingly pled and prophecies man's dilemma

If only there were a mediator between us

You see, Job understood the "catch 22 of it"

By listening to his friends that he should "state his case before GOD" , Job, not only elevates himself as if equal to GOD that he can sit side by side with GOD as GOD's equal and state his case discussing with and reminding GOD of his most righteous works, (what does GOD not already know!?) , but he also unknowingly deems and judges his brothers and sisters (other men) as somehow less worthy and less righteous by using himself as the measuring yard

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Understood. You'd have to be a student of scripture to answer that for yourself.
Well, I for one consider ethics and morality the attempt of humans to get along better with each other (and apparently most "God is the author of morality" do as well, or else they wouldn´t come up with arguments such as "Without God [insert atrocity of choice] would be ok.").
If God´s moral ideas serve some other purpose I don´t know why anyone would follow them.

Upvote 0

Honoluluwindow

Sep 2, 2016
Hawaii
✟17,283.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I for one consider ethics and morality the attempt of humans to get along better with each other (and apparently most "God is the author of morality" do as well, or else they wouldn´t come up with arguments such as "Without God [insert atrocity of choice] would be ok.").
If God´s moral ideas serve some other purpose I don´t know why anyone would follow them.
Have you considered this that the evil one who was in Eden lied? Adam and Eve did not know what is good and what is evil to the extent that God knows good and evil. We are supposed to be naked and without any shame whatsoever. When Adam saw his own nakedness he hid himself. Had it not been for God's intervention with Adam Adam would still be hiding in the pineapple fields. Which is why I can not question God's saving of only a portion of humanity.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Your definition of a good life is not Job's definition. Read the whole book. Your definition of God's goodness is based in human emotion from the created being's perspective. Just because something's good to you or me does not mean it is good to God. By God's standards Job's life was dung.
-_- even though the deity bragged about Job, saying that there was no fault in him?

Furthermore, not meeting an impossible and arbitrary standard of "goodness" is hardly a justification for allowing what is supposedly the greatest person currently alive to have his whole life wreaked just to see if he'll still worship you. It's truly sickening. Huh, I wonder if my dog will still love me if I let my neighbors kick the living crap out of it every day. Forbid that dog not be grateful for all that I have done for it so help me... get my point?

• Agree
Reactions: JD16
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Considered to be off topic to this forum so being closed.

thread closed permanently.png

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.