Why was it moral what God told Abraham to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God said in the Bible that human sacrifice (which is what the pagan nations did) is an abomination and wicked, and its one of the reasons that God used the Israelites to judge the pagan nations that lived in the holy land. However, God told Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac to him. Now, Christian apologists argue that God only told Abraham to do it to test his faith, and God stopped him because he didnt really want him to do it. However, why would God tempt people into doing sinful actions, just to test their faith, even if he was going to stop them? Saying "God was just testing Abraham and he didnt really want Abraham to sacrifice Isaac" could also be used to argue, "God asked Abraham to steal or lie or commit idolatry, just to test his faith". God wouldnt lead people into sin just to test him. So why did God tell Abraham to sacrifice Isaac? It seems kind of inconsistent in my opinion.

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
God said in the Bible that human sacrifice (which is what the pagan nations did) is an abomination and wicked, and its one of the reasons that God used the Israelites to judge the pagan nations that lived in the holy land. However, God told Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac to him. Now, Christian apologists argue that God only told Abraham to do it to test his faith, and God stopped him because he didnt really want him to do it. However, why would God tempt people into doing sinful actions, just to test their faith, even if he was going to stop them? Saying "God was just testing Abraham and he didnt really want Abraham to sacrifice Isaac" could also be used to argue, "God asked Abraham to steal or lie or commit idolatry, just to test his faith". God wouldnt lead people into sin just to test him. So why did God tell Abraham to sacrifice Isaac? It seems kind of inconsistent in my opinion.

Indeed. One would think that if this was a test, it would have been the other way round. God in the story is pleased with Abrahams devotion which manifested in his willingness to kill his son. The way this god is described, I would expect the outcome to be the other way round...

If this was a test by a "righteous" and "moral" god who is against human sacrifice.... then the desired outcome of this test would need to be that Abraham tells god to go suck on a lemon and that he won't be killing his son. I'ld dare to say that if in the story god would actually become angry with Abraham because he blindly followed an obviously evil command without stopping to think about it, then the religion from the bible would be a lot more rational. I would respect such a mentality. I'm not saying that I would believe it - it would still remain mythology, indistinguishable from the other religions in truth-value. But it would most certainly be a lot more respectable.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It did not actually happen, if you read the passage.

But, remember my sin and yours. Romans 8 says, about the putting away of the sins of those who love and trust the Lord Jesus, by His substitutionary sacrifice: "He that spared not His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things?"

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
It was to show that he had just as much devotion to God as the pagans who were willing to commit human sacrifice did, but God wouldn't actually demand a human sacrifice.

Except that he actually demanded a human sacrifice.

Just because he stopped it in the last second, doesn't change the fact that he demanded one.

Not to mention that the entire new testament is about celebrating an actual human sacrifice.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Except that he actually demanded a human sacrifice.

Just because he stopped it in the last second, doesn't change the fact that he demanded one.

Not to mention that the entire new testament is about celebrating an actual human sacrifice.

Read Romans 8. It required the sacrifice of God's Son for sins to be put away.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It was to show that he had just as much devotion to God as the pagans who were willing to commit human sacrifice did, but God wouldn't actually demand a human sacrifice.

Why would God order somebody to do something that is a horrible sin? That is contrary to God's character, even if God steps in and stops them, which he did with abraham.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Wouldn't it show more quality of character to show more devotion to morality than to God? What if there was a test to see if you were really a good person, or just scared, or in awe of God?

Ie: You are only good because you are obedient, not because because you care about being moral.

It would have been a much better message if Abraham defied God, and then God commended Abraham for being good regardless of authority.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Wouldn't it show more quality of character to show more devotion to morality than to God? What if there was a test to see if you were really a good person, or just scared, or in awe of God?

Ie: You are only good because you are obedient, not because because you care about being moral.

It would have been a much better message if Abraham defied God, and then God commended Abraham for being good regardless of authority.

I greatly agree with this.

Upvote 0

appleofhiseye

Veteran
Jan 25, 2005
Butler, PA
✟18,164.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

It wasn't because of Abraham's obedience to God that he passed this test, but rather his faith in God's promise. Abraham was convinced that even if he(Abraham) succeeded in killing Isaac, God would raise him(Isaac) up from the dead, because he had great faith that Isaac was his son of the promise.
Also Paul said that this was a story given for us as an example of what faith looks like, not sure if it really happened?

• Winner
Reactions: John 1720
Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I greatly agree with this.

:thumbsup:

It wasn't because of Abraham's obedience to God that he passed this test, but rather his faith in God's promise. Abraham was convinced that even if he(Abraham) succeeded in killing Isaac, God would raise him(Isaac) up from the dead, because he had great faith that Isaac was his son of the promise.
Also Paul said that this was a story given for us as an example of what faith looks like, not sure if it really happened?

Having faith isn't a good excuse for killing someone. That's still murder. Also consider that being stabbed would probably hurt alot... so that's still a severe violation.

Having the faith to kill someone else isn't commendable... it shows you are a dangerous person, comparable to a terrorist, or child-sacrificer/ abuser.

I suppose it's better to think about it as just a story, than a real event, though.

Upvote 0

Hikarifuru

Shine Bravely
Nov 11, 2013
✟20,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Well the reason human sacrifice is wrong is NOT because the bible says so, but because of how obviously wrong it is to do this to people. You need to understand that first.

If the bible did NOT say human sacrifice was wrong, would Abraham planning to kill his own child suddenly become acceptable? If so then I don't think you're fit to really be wondering about this.

The story is inexcusable.

The ONLY decent explanation I have heard is a rumor that in Jewish tradition it said that Abraham failed this test because he was supposed to refuse and prove his love and fidelity toward his family. When god saw that he was willing to kill his own child god considered him a failure and never spoke to him again. But a god who would tempt men this way is inexcusable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Is it still murder if he survives and is well? Well enough to return on his own from the mountaintop?
We will worship and then we will come back to you. Gen.22:4b.

I'd say it's still murder.

Upvote 0

Smidlee

Veteran
May 21, 2004
NC, USA
✟21,162.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

No the Bible teaches God doesn't delight in human sacrifice since you seems to forget Jesus did offer up himself. Even Abraham noted this "My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering..." This is the "picture" of God offering up His Son for the sins of the world. Isaac is the type of Jesus Christ. God didn't just out of the blue ask Abraham to offer up Isaac but long after it was establish that all of God promises rested on Isaac. (So Abraham believe God had to raise him from the dead) Note also that after the sacrifice that we don't hear from Isaac until Abraham (type of the Father) sends the unnamed servant (type of the Holy Spirit) to get a bride (type of the church) for Isaac (type of Jesus Christ). Rebekah rides the camel (type of Grace) until she saw Isaac (type of Christ)

Thus we see Abraham's faith in the death and resurrection of the Jesus Christ. God offered up His Son so you weren't have to.

This is why you don't take verses out of context as you need to read all the things happen in Abraham's life before God ask him to offer up Isaac.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Jewish rabbi's usually interpret this story as God giving Abraham a lesson about not needing human sacrifices: maybe Abraham expected that sort of thing, as it wasn't unheard of in Canaanite religion.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.