Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It's not a random association. Trump freed them from being vassals to China ... or
Denmark.

It's rare that reading a single post can make me feel like my IQ actually dropped several points, but I believe you may just have achieved that. Congratulations.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It's rare that reading a single post can make me feel like my IQ actually dropped several points, but I believe you may just have achieved that. Congratulations.
Thank you.

One learns valuable lessons from being humbled occasionally.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
So if China invests in a project...what?
The piper will be paid. China wants either economic or military advantage.

China is not a benign investor. Like the mafia, China does not easily forgive.
China has invested billions in Alberta oil sands.
I hope that works out well for all concerned.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The piper will be paid. China wants either economic or military advantage.

China is not a benign investor. Like the mafia, China does not easily forgive.

I hope that works out well for all concerned.
You think China doesn't invest in the us?
Isn't a substantial portion of your debt tied to China?

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
You think China doesn't invest in the us?
Isn't a substantial portion of your debt tied to China?
China apparently holds a little over a trillion in US debt.

US Debt to China, How Much It Is, Reasons Why, and What If China Sells

Why China Owns So Much U.S. Debt
China makes sure the yuan is always low relative to the U.S. dollar. Why? Part of its economic strategy is to keep its export prices competitive. It does this by holding the yuan at a fixed rate compared to a "currency basket" of which the majority is the dollar. When the dollar falls in value, the Chinese government uses dollars it has on hand to buy Treasuries. It receives these dollars from Chinese companies that receive them as payments for their exports. China's Treasury purchases increase demand for the dollar and thus its value.

China's position as America's largest banker gives it some political leverage. Now and then, China threatens to sell part of its debt holdings. It knows that if it does, U.S. interest rates would rise, slowing U.S economic growth. China often calls for a new global currency to replace the dollar, which is used in most international transactions. China does this whenever the United States allows the value of the dollar to drop. That makes the debt China holds less valuable
.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Sure it matters.

Many countries, including the US and China, will try to influence the decisions of Greenlanders. Yes, they can choose to continue to be very poor, but that is clearly unnecessary, even under a very environmental friendly set of projects.

Has anyone asked the native Greenlandic people what they would want? Do they not matter? :doh:

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No, no, no.

Countries and their companies should be free to propose projects to the people. If the Danish government continues to reject projects (and keeps them poor), perhaps they will change their minds.

There is much more involved than purchase. China and Russia are surely interested in development projects.

Then that should end the discussion. .

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Should the US make efforts to invest and take a greater interest in the future of Greenland? THAT is the question.

The US is signicantly behind in competing for Arctic rights. Greenland is another place where many countries are competing.

Global warming is opening investment opportunities in the Arctic and Greenland. The US can cede the field to China and Russia, or not. And, yes, of course, we should do much more with regard to reducing the amount of global warming.

So if China invests in a project...what?

China has invested billions in Alberta oil sands.
What is that opinion writer going to say to that?

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
No, no, no.

Countries and their companies should be free to propose projects to the people. If the Danish government continues to reject projects (and keeps them poor), perhaps they will change their minds.

There is much more involved than purchase. China and Russia are surely interested in development projects.

There is zero chance of Greenland changing their mind. Why would they want to give up those natural resources to the US when they can just develop them themselves anyway once they get full independence? It makes no sense. Do you not think they noticed how the US treated Puerto Rico recently?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You have stated a false option. The current situation under Danish ownership is poverty. There is no need for this. There is also little likelihood of Denmark developing the resources to the benefit of Greenland's residents.

If the resources were now being developed for their benefit, the people would be very rich indeed.

Full independence is a really tough road for a country with 55,000 residents. They would need to have allies (China, Canada, Russia and the US are the most obvious) and major investment partners.

I think that a population if 55K running an independent country would be overwhelmed by competing interests from other countries, companies and countries.
========
Maybe independence is the best option. Maybe being owned by a different country than Denmark is a better option. My guess is that people would be best served by Greenland being sold to Canada, with a 50 year transition contract.

To be clear, the US and Canada would benefit from the use of this critical military area, as well as from developing resources. There is no one reason to believe that the 55K will be better off under continue Danish rule.
===
As an aside, if you want a US example, Guam and the Mariana islands are better example than Puerto Rico. However, here the natural resources make it possible for the residents (and their children) to be made very rich.

There is zero chance of Greenland changing their mind. Why would they want to give up those natural resources to the US when they can just develop them themselves anyway once they get full independence? It makes no sense. Do you not think they noticed how the US treated Puerto Rico recently?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You have stated a false option. The current situation under Danish ownership is poverty. There is no need for this. There is also little likelihood of Denmark developing the resources to the benefit of Greenland's residents.

If the resources were now being developed for their benefit, the people would be very rich indeed.

Full independence is a really tough road for a country with 55,000 residents. They would need to have allies (China, Canada, Russia and the US are the most obvious) and major investment partners.

I think that a population if 55K running an independent country would be overwhelmed by competing interests from other countries, companies and countries.
========
Maybe independence is the best option. Maybe being owned by a different country than Denmark is a better option. My guess is that people would be best served by Greenland being sold to Canada, with a 50 year transition contract.

To be clear, the US and Canada would benefit from the use of this critical military area, as well as from developing resources. There is no one reason to believe that the 55K will be better off under continue Danish rule.
===
As an aside, if you want a US example, Guam and the Mariana islands are better example than Puerto Rico. However, here the natural resources make it possible for the residents (and their children) to be made very rich.

Stop pretending the people of Greenland are some poverty stricken peasants, they aren’t. And neither are the Danes some vile colonial rulers. Denmark hasn’t been pushing mineral exploitation of Greenland because some of us actually care about the environment and don’t want to turn every pristine natural area into a strip mine. As a Democrat I thought you might actually understand that, but instead you seem to just be pushing Trump talking points yet again.

The US will NEVER own Greenland thankfully. The Greenlanders have zero interest in becoming a US colony.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Reuters is now reporting a little more of the recent history ... apparently the Obama administration cut off contracts to Greenland companies.
In spotlight after Trump offer, Greenland sees chance for an economic win

Greenland had long wanted more in return for the base’s use. But discontent worsened in 2014 when the U.S. military canceled a contract with Greenland Contractors, a partly state-owned firm that had serviced the base for more than four decades.

And in 2017, the Department of Defense picked a U.S. company instead of Greenland’s Royal Arctic Line to ship goods to the base, causing further resentment among politicians and locals.

“It is only natural that we should make the most of the U.S. presence in Greenland, as we accommodate the defense cooperation on our land,” Greenland’s minister for foreign affairs Ane Lone Bagger told Reuters in an interview this week.
“To the greatest extent possible, it must be Greenlandic companies as well as Greenlandic workers who service the base. It is only natural that we get our fair share,” she said
Curiously, it seems to be all about the money.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
All or nothing, that is the answer????

Have the Greenlanders been polled to see whether they would like to have incomes more than $40K a year?

Your position seems to be that ALL mineral exploration is wrong. As a Democrat and an environmentalist, I strongly disagree.

Stop pretending the people of Greenland are some poverty stricken peasants, they aren’t. And neither are the Danes some vile colonial rulers. Denmark hasn’t been pushing mineral exploitation of Greenland because some of us actually care about the environment and don’t want to turn every pristine natural area into a strip mine. As a Democrat I thought you might actually understand that, but instead you seem to just be pushing Trump talking points yet again.

The US will NEVER own Greenland thankfully. The Greenlanders have zero interest in becoming a US colony.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
If the Greenlanders wish to discourage Trump's interest in purchasing their land all they have to do is arrange for the would be immigrants along the southern border of the US to be granted citizenship. :)

• Haha
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
All or nothing, that is the answer????

Have the Greenlanders been polled to see whether they would like to have incomes more than $40K a year?

Your position seems to be that ALL mineral exploration is wrong. As a Democrat and an environmentalist, I strongly disagree.

Average income in the USA: $31,786
Average income in Greenland: $33,000

Maybe you guys should be asking to become their colony?

Upvote 0