-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Because when you die you face judgement. Death is the closing date I you are not already a Christian. . . . Hebrews 9:27 rules out any change after death.

The closing date is Matthew 25:46 which happens after the final resurrection.

The Last Judgment is described in several biblical passages but perhaps the most comprehensive description is in the Book of Revelations:

Rev 20:11 Then I saw a great white throne, and the One seated on it. The earth and heaven fled from His presence, but no place was found for them. 12 And I saw the dead—the great and the small—standing before the throne. The books were opened, and another book was opened—the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to what was written in the books, according to their deeds. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Sheol gave up the dead in them. Then they were each judged, each one of them, according to their deeds. 14 Then death and hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death—the lake of fire. 15 And if anyone was not found written in the Book of Life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

The Christian belief is that unbelievers and the unrighteous are judged immediately after death and tortured in Hades then judged again after the resurrection of the body and sent to the Lake of Fire for eternal conscious torture (ECT). But what is the purpose of the Last Judgment if they had already been judged after death?

The Last Judgment would seem to make sense only under 3 conditions:

1) If the souls after death are in an unconscious sleep and are awakened at the Resurrection. Or,

2) If the should after death are initially judged by a lower authority, say angels or demons and are Judged by Christ at the Last Judgment. This like police arresting criminals and keeping them in jail until the court decides. Or like a lower court sentencing criminals and then a higher court may or may not change the sentence or release the criminal declaring that time served is sufficient. Or,

3) If there is a possibility that God may save people from Hades after they die.

There is a 4th possibility but it is not very convincing:

4) If the Last Judgment is to send the accused to a state of annihilation.

None of these 4 scenarios is consistent with Christian beliefs. Souls are judged immediately after death. So, What is the purpose of the Last Judgment?

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Christian belief is that unbelievers and the unrighteous are judged immediately after death and tortured in Hades then judged again after the resurrection of the body and sent to the Lake of Fire for eternal conscious torture (ECT)
Some Christians believe that.....not all.

I believe what the Orthodox church believes.....Christ has already swallowed up death....and if death is the last enemy...and was thrown into the Lake of Fire along with Hades....then Hades =/= eternal Hell (as the Western church portrays).

A hymn in the Great Friday Vespers has this stanza:

When You, the Redeemer of all, were placed in a new Tomb for us all, Hades, the respecter of none, crouched when he saw You. The bars were broken, the gates were shattered, the graves were opened, and the dead arose. Then Adam, gratefully rejoicing, cried out to You: “Glory to Your condescension, O Merciful God.”
Christ is Risen from the Grave! Trampling Down Death by Death! - Orthodox Reformed Bridge

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Last Judgment is described in several biblical passages but perhaps the most comprehensive description is in the Book of Revelations:

Rev 20:11 Then I saw a great white throne, and the One seated on it. The earth and heaven fled from His presence, but no place was found for them. 12 And I saw the dead—the great and the small—standing before the throne. The books were opened, and another book was opened—the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to what was written in the books, according to their deeds. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Sheol gave up the dead in them. Then they were each judged, each one of them, according to their deeds. 14 Then death and hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death—the lake of fire. 15 And if anyone was not found written in the Book of Life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

The Christian belief is that unbelievers and the unrighteous are judged immediately after death and tortured in Hades then judged again after the resurrection of the body and sent to the Lake of Fire for eternal conscious torture (ECT). But what is the purpose of the Last Judgment if they had already been judged after death?

1) If the souls after death are in an unconscious sleep and are awakened at the Resurrection. Or,

2) If the should after death are initially judged by a lower authority, say angels or demons and are Judged by Christ at the Last Judgment. This like police arresting criminals and keeping them in jail until the court decides. Or like a lower court sentencing criminals and then a higher court may or may not change the sentence or release the criminal declaring that time served is sufficient. Or,

3) If there is a possibility that God may save people from Hades after they die.

None of these 4 scenarios is consistent with Christian beliefs. Souls are judged immediately after death. So, What is the purpose of the Last Judgment?

Judgement has to take place before His 2nd coming .... all are in the graves awaiting resurrection (dormant sleep) .... the 1st will be of the saved .... the 2nd will be of the unsaved ... and this is consistent with biblical teaching.

the 2nd resurrection is final judgement of the lost .... then they are destroyed by fire along with everything on earth. He then makes everything new.

Souls are judged immediately after death.

When one dies earthly death their saved or unsaved status is sealed .... when each ones individual judgement happens is unknown .... but ... all judgement has indeed taken place before He returns.

Revelation 22:12

Berean Study Bible
“Behold, I am coming soon, and My reward is with Me, to give to each one according to what he has done.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

A unbeliever is judged when they die and is sent to hades. The Great White Throne judgment is to determined their position in the lake of fire, notice they are judged for their works.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I believe what the Orthodox church believes.....Christ has already swallowed up death....and if death is the last enemy...and was thrown into the Lake of Fire along with Hades....then Hades =/= eternal Hell (as the Western church portrays).
I'm not sure what you're trying to say and can only guess. The article you quoted is about the Harrowing of Hades after Christ's death when he brought salvation to all of the righteous who had died since the beginning of the world.

You seem to believe that Christ completely emptied Hades and that it no longer exists. But this is not the belief of any Christian group that I'm aware of. Where do you think unrighteous souls go after death?

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Judgement has to take place before His 2nd coming .... all are in the graves awaiting resurrection (dormant sleep) .... the 1st will be of the saved .... the 2nd will be of the unsaved ... and this is consistent with biblical teaching.

the 2nd resurrection is final judgement of the lost .... then they are destroyed by fire along with everything on earth. He then makes everything new.
I'm aware of this SDA view but I don't really believe in "soul sleep." It contradicts NT teaching, which seems to accept inter-testamental Jewish beliefs.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A unbeliever is judged when they die and is sent to hades. The Great White Throne judgment is to determined their position in the lake of fire, notice they are judged for their works.
You view the Last Judgment as the final court sentencing. This makes sense and is consistent with orthodoxy. I guess it's a variation of my #4 above and is consistent with the view that once condemned always condemned. There is no possibility of parole.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm aware of this SDA view but I don't really believe in "soul sleep." It contradicts NT teaching, which seems to accept inter-testamental Jewish beliefs.

Does not go against NT teaching .... Jesus Himself referred to death as a sleep.

ie .... (per Jesus) Lazarus is asleep

John 11
11After He had said this, He told them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I am going there to wake him up.”12His disciples replied, “Lord, if he is sleeping, he will get better.” 13They thought that Jesus was talking about actual sleep, but He was speaking about the death of Lazarus.14So Jesus told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead, 15and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him.”

and ... we don't have a immortal "soul" ... nothing about us is immortal ... bible says only God is immortal. We do not receive immortality until Jesus returns.

1st Timothy 6:16
Berean Study Bible
He alone is immortal and dwells in unapproachable light. No one has ever seen Him, nor can anyone see Him. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen.

1 Corinthians 15
52in an instant, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53For the perishable must be clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come to pass: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”…

It is indeed what the bible teaches .... OT and NT.

BTW - Jesus taught from the OT.

Luke 24:39

English Standard Version
See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.”

A soul ...

Other supporting texts ...

1. In the beginning, God formed man from dust and the breath of life

• Genesis 2:7 - And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
2. When a person dies, the body goes back to dust and the spirit goes back to God

• Psalm 104:29 - You hide Your face, they are troubled; You take away their breath, they die and return to their dust.
  • Ecclesiastes 12:7 - Then the dust will return to the earth as it was, And the spirit will return to God who gave it.
3. The "spirit" that returns to God at death is the breath of life (or His power)

• Job 27:3 - As long as my breath is in me, And the breath of God in my nostrils
  • James 2:26 - For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
4. A soul is a living being (dust + breath of life = soul). We do not have souls, but rather, we are souls!

• Genesis 2:7 - And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
5. According to the Bible, souls die

• Ezekiel 18:4 - Behold, all souls are Mine; The soul of the father As well as the soul of the son is Mine; The soul who sins shall die.
  • Ezekiel 18:20 - The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.
6. According to the Bible, humans do not have immortality, but only God does

• 1 Timothy 1:17 - Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.
  • 1 Timothy 6:15-16 - 15which He will manifest in His own time, He who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16who alone has immortality, dwelling in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see, to whom be honor and everlasting power. Amen.
  • Note that the Bible uses the word "soul" several hundred times, but never once uses "immortal soul"
7. People do not immediately go to heaven or hell at death. They go to the grave until the day of resurrection

• Job 17:13 - If I wait for the grave as my house, If I make my bed in the darkness,
  • John 5:28-29 - 28Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice 29and come forth--those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.
  • Acts 2:29, 34 - 29Men and brethren, let me speak freely to you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his tomb is with us to this day...34For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he says himself: 'The Lord said to my Lord, "Sit at My right hand,
8. The dead cannot communicate with the living, nor they are aware of what the living are doing

• Job 14:12, 21 - 12So man lies down and does not rise. Till the heavens are no more, They will not awake nor be roused from their sleep...21His sons come to honor, and he does not know it; They are brought low, and he does not perceive it.
  • Psalm 115:17 - The dead do not praise the Lord, Nor any who go down into silence.
  • Psalm 146:40 - His spirit departs, he returns to his earth; In that very day his plans perish.
  • Ecclesiastes 9:5-6 - 5For the living know that they will die; But the dead know nothing, And they have no more reward, For the memory of them is forgotten. 6Also their love, their hatred, and their envy have now perished; Nevermore will they have a share In anything done under the sun.
  • Ecclesiastes 9:10 - Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going.
9. Jesus compares death to sleep

• John 11:11-14 - 11These things He said, and after that He said to them, "Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up." 12Then His disciples said, "Lord, if he sleeps he will get well." 13However, Jesus spoke of his death, but they thought that He was speaking about taking rest in sleep. 14Then Jesus said to them plainly, "Lazarus is dead."
10. The righteous will be ressurected and receive immortality when Jesus comes again

• Job 19:25-26 - 25For I know that my Redeemer lives, And He shall stand at last on the earth; 26and after my skin is destroyed, this I know, that in my flesh I shall see God
  • 1 Corinthians 15:51-54 - 51Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed--52in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory."

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...So, What is the purpose of the Last Judgment?

By what I have understood, “judgment day” is the day when everyone gets what they deserve:

For the Son of Man will come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and then he will render to everyone according to his deeds.
Matt. 16:27

And by what I have understood from the Bible, when person dies, he goes to paradise, or to Hades, where they wait for that “judgment day”. I think people are already judged, but then they get what they deserve.

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

How can souls be judged immediately after death when there is a last judgement described in Rev? That judgement is for the wicked only. The judgement of the righteous has already taken place for when Jesus returns He comes only for the saved.

1Th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Those that are alive at the coming of the Lord, do not go ahead (prevent) of those that have died in Christ. The dead in Christ are resurrected first, then they and the living go up into the clouds to be with Jesus. Jesus, as our High Priest, has made the decision of who is lost and who is saved before He returns. The saved dead are not in heaven until He comes and resurrects them.
The judgement of the wicked means they are resurrected for their judgment (the 2nd resurrection) the decision of them being lost was made before the return of Jesus, but now comes their pounishment---"according to their works." N o wicked is in any punishment until after they are resurrected and their lives judged. And who judges, for Christ has already decided--

1Co_6:3 Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?

But the saved will know why those that have not been saved are lost---it is during the 1000 years reign with Christ in heaven, that the saved will review the records of the lost and the fallen angels, and the whole universe will understand why they have no reward in Christ. No one wi9lol spend eternity wondering why their sainted Aunt is lost. All this time God's name has been vilified by Satan and all his followers, and now the truth is revealed to all and the name of God is vindicated, and the wicked are sent to their 2nd death.
It makes perfect sense. No one goes to heaven or hell right upon death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You seem to believe that Christ completely emptied Hades and that it no longer exists. But this is not the belief of any Christian group that I'm aware of. Where do you think unrighteous souls go after death?
Look into the Eastern Orthodox faith tradition. There's not been any dogmatic determination made as far as our afterlife. There's about an equal number of passages to support ECT....annihilation....and apokatastasis (restoration to God).

We are only righteous because of Christ - just as we were sinful due to Adam. I can only hope that God’s perfect love - when in His presence apart from the pulls and power of this world - never fails.

Romans 5:18
So then, just as one trespass brought condemnation for all men, so also one act of righteousness brought justification and life for all men.

I believe the majority of the judgment passages that we read about in the Bible were referring to the judgment at the end of the Old covenant arrangement between God and the Israelites with Moses as the mediator. That arrangement has ended....and the consequences have been carried out already in the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD - the complete end of Sinai Judaism.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
More on Orthodoxy:

In Orthodoxy there is an eagerness to expound on the significance of Christ’s resurrection. It views Christ’s resurrection as the reversal of the Fall, the creation of a new humanity, a great victory over Satan, our being released from death, the ultimate healing of our souls and bodies. "Christ is Risen from the Grave! Trampling Down Death by Death! - Orthodox Reformed Bridge" Christ is Risen from the Grave! Trampling Down Death by Death! - Orthodox Reformed Bridge

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You view the Last Judgment as the final court sentencing. This makes sense and is consistent with orthodoxy. I guess it's a variation of my #4 above and is consistent with the view that once condemned always condemned. There is no possibility of parole.

Well the last Judgment (Great White Throne) is for only unbelievers, who never received the gift of God, Eternal Life.

But like the believers position and how works play a role in rewards for the believer. Works will play a role in determining the unbelievers position in the lake of fire.

satan i would think would be at the very bottom of the lake.
I guess an unbeliever who did a lot of good in their lives will be closer to the top or surface.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

The concept of the Day of the Lord goes back to the OT prophets. For them it was when God would bring history to an end, defeat all evil, and make Jerusalem the center of the world.

Parts of the NT emphasize punishing individuals. That was one aspect of the OT concept, but the OT version was broader. 1 Cor 15 and the last couple of chapters of the Rev return to the original concept. They portray a new world where God rules, everyone is at peace, and all evil is defeated. Paul's vision for individual judgement was 1 Cor 3:12: a fire (presumably metaphorical) that would destroy everything in us that is not based on Christ.

Jesus' teachings about judgement are most likely a combination of both: destruction of evil, and a not entirely painless destruction of everything not based on Christ. I think that is best put in the context of the broader vision of the prophets and Paul.

Why doesn't Jesus talk as explicitly about the wider context where destruction of evil is part of a restoration of the world? My suspicion is that it's because for Jesus that restoration is already in progress. See e.g. Luke 4:16-18 and all of his teachings about the Kingdom. But the restoration that he started could never be finished in the course of normal history, so a final destruction of evil was necessary.

Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

And by what I have understood from the Bible, when person dies, he goes to paradise, or to Hades, where they wait for that “judgment day”. I think people are already judged, but then they get what they deserve.

Well the last Judgment (Great White Throne) is for only unbelievers, who never received the gift of God, Eternal Life. But like the believers position and how works play a role in rewards for the believer. Works will play a role in determining the unbelievers position in the lake of fire. satan i would think would be at the very bottom of the lake. I guess an unbeliever who did a lot of good in their lives will be closer to the top or surface.
If all the souls in Hades will be sent to the LoF at the Great White Throne judgment, why does it say in Rev 20:15 that "if anyone was not found written in the Book of Life, he was thrown into the lake of fire"? Also, v 12.

Are there some of the souls in Hades whose names are in the Book of Life?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If all the souls in Hades will be sent to the LoF at the Great White Throne judgment, why does it say in Rev 20:15 that "if anyone was not found written in the Book of Life, he was thrown into the lake of fire"? Also, v 12.

Are there some of the souls in Hades whose names are in the Book of Life?

More than likely, The Bible uses scenes we are familiar with The great white throne judgment, is more than likely like a trial in a court. The unbelievers are given a chance to appeal their sentence equating to the checking in the book of life by God, to assure them they are not there. The other books listed contain the unbelievers works.

That especially could be of the ones who are religious especially ones who were a religious christian, But never trusted in the Messiah for the free gift of Gods eternal life,

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure what you're trying to say and can only guess. The article you quoted is about the Harrowing of Hades after Christ's death when he brought salvation to all of the righteous who had died since the beginning of the world.

It was a fascinating read, and first time hearing of it though I have heard of it. My thoughts on your question would be that people who never cared, or turned to God after death would be outside of the gates of the heavenly Jerusalem. It talks about it in Revelation chapter 22, I believe how those who are without, or outside the gates of the heavenly Jerusalem, are together in I assume darkness. It’s something I can’t fully wrap my head around however am ok with what the chapter does say about them, being it the final one. Can’t go back anymore from there.

Also thanks for the great thought provoking thread for all these people to share their thoughts on Andrew.

@mkgal1 thanks for the first initial posting, cool article to have read.

• Friendly
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

My view is that the last/final judgement was about Israel. God judged Israel many times in the Old Testament history, but His final judgement has come in the 1st century.

When we die, I think we are judged immediatelly after and no other/second judgement will take place.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
More than likely, The Bible uses scenes we are familiar with The great white throne judgment, is more than likely like a trial in a court.
Yes, the scene is like a trial in a court.

The unbelievers are given a chance to appeal their sentence equating to the checking in the book of life by God, to assure them they are not there. The other books listed contain the unbelievers works. That especially could be of the ones who are religious especially ones who were a religious christian, But never trusted in the Messiah for the free gift of Gods eternal life,
You're saying that the Book of Life is opened to prove to those who are not true believers that their names are not in the Book.

Rev 20:15 If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, that person was thrown into the lake of fire.

Some readers may accept your interpretation. To me, it sounds like they were searching the record for the benefit of the court, not only the accused. And that names of some souls in Hades might have been in the Book, they may be saved.

How about the following passage:

Rev 5:13 Then I heard every creature—in heaven, on earth, under the earth, in the sea, and all that is in them—singing:

“To the one seated on the throne and to the Lamb
be praise, honor, glory, and ruling power forever and ever!”

Under the earth = in Hades.

How come souls in Hades / under the earth praise the Lord? Are they saved?

And the following verse:

Phi 2:10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

It sounds like some souls in Hades / under the earth worship Christ, don't they?

Are they being coerced against their God-given free will?

Last edited:
Upvote 0