Why the divisions in the church?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Why are there so many divisions in the Church? Why can't two churches agree with each other on doctrine? Why does the Church exist as Catholic or Protestant or Orthodox? And why can't two Catholics or two Protestants agree with each other? Like for example most Protestants believe In Eternal security. Yet there are Protestants who deny the doctrine. Why? And why don't Catholics and Orthodox believe? Or wehy do Catholics insist that baptism is a requirement for salvation yet Protestants claim that it isn't? Why the divisions in the church? Shouldn't all Christianity be the same? I.E. people coming to Christ for salvation and getting saved. It sure would gert more people saved. Back when I was an atheist one of the strongest arguments to me was that the Christian church was so divided and couldn't agree with each other. So truly the true church would agree with each other on doctrine. Yet we as Christians can't agree with each other and sometimes kill each other for it.​

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Because I am right and you are wrong!!!
At least that is the mentality of most.
Jesus didn't come to bring peace but division as stated in Luke 12:51
The cross separates the saved from the unsaved and those with the Holy Spirit from those without.
You can't really understand scripture without the Spirit's leading and opening your eyes and heart to the truths of God's Word.
So many people take a few scriptures and build a doctrine around it to make it fit them.

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why are there so many divisions in the Church? Why can't two churches agree with each other on doctrine? Why does the Church exist as Catholic or Protestant or Orthodox? And why can't two Catholics or two Protestants agree with each other? Like for example most Protestants believe In Eternal security. Yet there are Protestants who deny the doctrine. Why? And why don't Catholics and Orthodox believe? Or wehy do Catholics insist that baptism is a requirement for salvation yet Protestants claim that it isn't? Why the divisions in the church? Shouldn't all Christianity be the same? I.E. people coming to Christ for salvation and getting saved. It sure would gert more people saved. Back when I was an atheist one of the strongest arguments to me was that the Christian church was so divided and couldn't agree with each other. So truly the true church would agree with each other on doctrine. Yet we as Christians can't agree with each other and sometimes kill each other for it.​
1 Timothy 4:1-3 ; 2 Timothy 4:3-4

Man made doctrines form, then there is a split, more man made doctrines form, there are more splits.

There is only one church body accepted by God, 1Corinthians 12, Romans 12, Ephesians 4 all talk about "many members, but one body". Not all the groups you refer to are in Christs church, but fakes.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Do you agree with every Christian you meet?
Do you expect me to agree with everything you say?
If not, then you have your own answer.

While I don't agree with every Christian I meet I still try to be respectful of their beliefs. Yet there are Christians killing other Christians out there because of differences in doctrine and because people interpret the bible differently than others. So is it just because Satan does a good job at keeping Christians divided or what?

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟486,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Because I am right and you are wrong!!!
At least that is the mentality of most.
Jesus didn't come to bring peace but division as stated in Luke 12:51
The cross separates the saved from the unsaved and those with the Holy Spirit from those without.
You can't really understand scripture without the Spirit's leading and opening your eyes and heart to the truths of God's Word.
So many people take a few scriptures and build a doctrine around it to make it fit them.

I suppose. Are you saying that people who don't accept what you consider to be the truth of scripture as not saved? That sounds a little harsh...

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My opinion is sin. The reason is sin.

Sin gets in the way of our understanding of scripture, of us hearing from the Holy Spirit, our ability to discern.

Sin is where divisions lie. We all agree on some basics, then we have sin.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are many reasons why we divide, I can probably make a decent Top 10 list. But one thing that stands out, at least this evening, is not understanding what "being of one mind and one accord" means. It does NOT mean we are to look, think, and act the same. That is one in form. Instead, we should be one in function... meaning, that despite our differences we should be able to work together as one for the good of the whole. Our inability to do that, and our inability to get beyond the notion that "one mind and one accord" means "always agreeing," is why we see much of the division we do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I suppose. Are you saying that people who don't accept what you consider to be the truth of scripture as not saved? That sounds a little harsh...
Nope, I am saying those wolves in sheeps clothing that take only a few scriptures and make a doctrine is wrong and we have way to many preaching a false gospel that is to itching ears and it is heresy.
I make no judgments about who is saved or not as I believe that certain people from most all denominations will be saved, It is about their heart, NOT what is hanging over the church door.
But those "wolves" who are misleading people for financial gain are misleading the masses in 2018

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
My opinion is sin. The reason is sin.

Sin gets in the way of our understanding of scripture, of us hearing from the Holy Spirit, our ability to discern.

Sin is where divisions lie. We all agree on some basics, then we have sin.

That's true. But if our sin really is affecting our interpretations of scripture than were in trouble. While its true that almost every Christian agrees on the basics I.E. the Trinity that Jesus is the only way to salvation ...etc. But Christians differ on so many different things. That's why I label myself nondenominational. Because I don't want to associate myself with any denomination. Even though my beliefs are along the protestants.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Nope, I am saying those wolves in sheeps clothing that take only a few scriptures and make a doctrine is wrong and we have way to many preaching a false gospel that is to itching ears and it is heresy.
I make no judgments about who is saved or not as I believe that certain people from most all denominations will be saved, It is about their heart, NOT what is hanging over the church door.
But those "wolves" who are misleading people for financial gain are misleading the masses in 2018

Yeah I don't generally listen to those people. But yeah... Thanks for explaining because I was confused.

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
That's true. But if our sin really is affecting our interpretations of scripture than were in trouble. While its true that almost every Christian agrees on the basics I.E. the Trinity that Jesus is the only way to salvation ...etc. But Christians differ on so many different things. That's why I label myself nondenominational. Because I don't want to associate myself with any denomination. Even though my beliefs are along the protestants.
It is grace by faith, Not the denomination. But you see, There are certain denominations that preach that if you are not baptized into their church then you are not saved.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

What do you see when you look around this forum?

See anything that would make you send someone who didn't know Christ here to find a reflection of Him?

Or are we more a reflection of Satan?

I'm thinking there is a problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Billy Evmur

Brother
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2018
London
Visit site
✟83,771.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

It was ever thus...

Upvote 0

Billy Evmur

Brother
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2018
London
Visit site
✟83,771.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you see when you look around this forum?

See anything that would make you send someone who didn't know Christ here to find a reflection of Him?

Or are we more a reflection of Satan?

I'm thinking there is a problem.

If someone is searching for Christ they will be found of Him.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Acts 20:30

And from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them.

1 John 2:26-27

I write these things to you about those who are trying to deceive you. But the anointing that you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone should teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie—just as it has taught you, abide in him.

2nd Corinthians 5

10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive his due for the things done in the body, whether good or bad.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If someone is searching for Christ they will be found of Him.

Do you think it will be because we are here following Christ, forgiving and loving one another?

We are supposed to be the light of Christ to the world yet it seems people need saved in spite of us not because of us.

John said people will know we are HIS people due to our great love of one another.. I can't see that here.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Problem is different opinions as to interpretations of the Bible.

Here's how to achieve unity - everyone should agree with me as to how to interpret the Bible.

See the problem?

Upvote 0