Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
George Floyd - Killed by a police officer and there are multiple mass riots - Politicians on Television every day - a whole movement complete with monuments in cities.

Then recently:

Tyre Nichols is on video - shown nationally being beaten to death by five police officers on January 7th.

No protests - not a whole lot of any reaction from politicians - no protests.

The question asked is why?

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
George Floyd - Killed by a police officer and there are multiple mass riots - Politicians on Television every day - a whole movement complete with monuments in cities.

Then recently:

Tyre Nichols is on video - shown nationally being beaten to death by five police officers on January 7th.

Well for one, the incident was universally disavowed by the police and the group was charged with murder before we saw (much worse) footage.

Police on the senseless death of George Floyd? "Man Dies After Medical Incident During Police Interaction"

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,040.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Firstly you need to look a little harder.

Without trying I've seen reports of protests in Memphis, LA, New York, Washington, Portland , Chicago, Philadelphia and Atlanta.

Secondly - the victim's parents publicly pleaded for peaceful protest..

Thirdly - action against the offending police officers was quick. They have now been fired and charged with murder. The unit they belonged to has also been disbanded. I suspect this has helped to defuse some of the anger.

I'm sure you have a theory.

Care to share it?

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Then recently:

Perhaps weather conditions play a part?

Rodney King riots: April 29 – May 4, 1992

George Floyd riots: May 26 - June 7, 2020

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not condoning what happened in any way. It seems the best and safest thing to do when cops tell you to get down on the ground, is to immediately lay down on your stomach with your hands clasped behind your head. Lay there like a rag doll and offer no resistance or protest whatsoever. Then ask questions later. Also probably if you've been falsely arrested, displaying a lack of resistance and being cooperative will greatly contribute to gaining restitution.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Not condoning what happened in any way. It seems the best and safest thing to do when cops tell you to get down on the ground, is to lay down on your stomach with your hands clasped behind your head. Lay there like a rag doll and offer no resistance or protest whatsoever. Than ask questions later. Also probably if you've been falsely arrested, displaying a lack of resistance and being cooperative will greatly contribute to gaining restitution.

Try it sometime when you're dragged out of your car by armed screaming men yelling contradictory orders that seem intent on beating you. You might forget yourself and ask the simple question of why you are being treated so harshly.

No one should have to think tactically about how best to survive a police encounter like this.

He was a citizen in the care of professionals paid by the government to enforce the law and responsibly use their power.

What actually happened is that he was murdered by a group of incompetent armed men on a power trip.

Statistically it's probably safer to cooperate with rapists too but only the truly, mindbogglingly insensitive would say that to people who just watched someone get raped.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also probably since none of the cops directly involved were white it makes a difference, compared to the usual white cops kill black man.

RUKwuy7.png

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Try it sometime when you're dragged out of your car by armed screaming men yelling contradictory orders that seem intent on beating you. You might forget yourself and ask the simple question of why you are being treated so harshly.

No one should have to think tactically about how best to survive a police encounter like this.

He was a citizen in the care of professionals paid by the government to enforce the law and responsibly use their power.

What actually happened is that he was murdered by a group of incompetent armed men on a power trip.

Statistically it's probably safer to cooperate with rapists too but only the truly, mindbogglingly insensitive would say that to people who just watched someone get raped.
The advice I gave is similar to the the advice given for surviving a bear attack.

"If a grizzly/brown bear charges and attacks you, PLAY DEAD. Do not fight back! Cover your head and neck with your hands and arms. Lay flat on your stomach, and spread your legs apart."

Bear Attacks (U.S. National Park Service)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The advice I gave is similar to the the advice given for surviving a bear attack.

"If a grizzly/brown bear charges and attacks you, PLAY DEAD. Do not fight back! Cover your head and neck with your hands and arms. Lay flat on your stomach, and spread your legs apart."

I don’t think surviving any encounter with police should need to be compared to surviving a bear attack.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think surviving any encounter with police should need to be compared to surviving a bear attack.

True, you are allowed to use pepper spray or shoot at a bear when they attack you.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Then recently:

I'm not sure what you watch but there is a lot of outrage and news coverage out there. The interview of his mother was incredibly brave.
Blessings

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure what you watch but there is a lot of outrage and news coverage out there. The interview of his mother was incredibly brave.
Blessings

I do think it has gone at least noticeably better than the Floyd situation, but I am going to attribute it to the facts that it WAS handled so much better by the police and state and that people by and large see rioting out of anger and frustration as needless and unproductive toward a proper goal.

Perhaps it's time to put a bit of our cynicism aside and suggest that what we are seeing is progress.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also probably since none of the cops directly involved were white it makes a difference, compared to the usual white cops kill black man.

RUKwuy7.png
Being black may have sped up the firing and charging process as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged

Suggesting police in this country are as dangerous and unpredictable as a wild animal is perhaps the most scathing indictment on the police force I have ever seen.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,171.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I just wonder if these guys had any training. They acted like a pack of demon possessed ravenous wolves. I thought they took an oath to serve and to protect. Some protection that was. IMHO too many people are losing their lives in traffic stops by police.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Then recently:

Lol.. I know huh. Back when George Floyd was killed .. not long after that I watched this interview and this black man was tossing out names of white people killed by police one was exactly like what happened to George Floyd. He gave the mans name and was asking what you are now. Yeah it oddly never made the news no riots no the man killed by police didn't turn into some angel. Kind a like a site giving rules for one person yet oddly not for others.

Upvote 0