Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are there any reasons why the Christian creation myth should be preferred to (or is more likely to be true than) the creation myth of the the Bushongo people, which says that the lonely God Bumba had a terrible stomach ache one day and vomited up the sun, moon, stars, and the earth?

Is there any reason why you're saying this on a Christian forum?

Upvote 0

AnotherAtheist

Gimmie dat ol' time physical evidence
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
East Midlands
✟123,826.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
What myth are you talking about?

Are you mything something you shouldn't be mything?

'Creation myth' is common usage. If you could give reasons why the Christian creation myth shouldn't be considered to be a myth, then please say.

If you think they are both myths then you're right, there is no reason. If you are an atheist then it is a bit like asking "which one is not true, the lie or the lie?" If it then comes down to a matter of choice, I am not choosing the vomit.

I'm giving people the opportunity to show why their personal 'myth' isn't a myth. If there is any such reason.

Is there any particular reason we should humor an atheist who comes to our forum and disrespects our faith? Why should we give any credence to the evolution myth? Or the myth of a universe that is billions of years old? We know your mind is closed to the matter and you're only here to make fun of those of us who are saved and will one day join our Lord in Heaven. Not a single atheist will be there.

This forum has specific sections open to nonbelievers for the purpose of debate. Hence I don't feel that I am doing anything out of place.

I don't see any problem with people, e.g., referring to evolution or science as 'myths', as that gives me the opportunity to point out why these aren't myths.

It might be different if you had come here for civil conversation. It's obvious you prefer to insult our faith.

I'm giving you the opportunity to defend your faith. However, I haven't yet seen anything that from an objective point of view would make one of those creation myths more likely to be true than the other. As Christians have said, it's simply faith.

In a debate, challenges are reasonable.

Believing deeply enough equates to knowing.

For instance you have a very good friend that you trust, he says something happened, and as far as you are concerned, it did happen/it's a fact, that's just how much you believe in him, and know he will tell you the truth.

If your belief in your very good friend is justified, then I imagine that you could explain why the trust is justified and that others could easily meet your friend, interact with him/her, and see if your trust is justified.

There are plenty of examples where even very deep belief has been shown to be wrong in the past. Therefore, one person believing deeply doesn't work as objective evidence.

Why would you preffer myth of evolution of kinds over God Bumba with stomach ache ?

Not relevant to this thread. Here I'm specifically comparing Christian versus Bushongo creation myths.

Do the Bushongo have any explanation of how their creation story was transmitted to them?

I don't know.

Is there any reason why you're saying this on a Christian forum?

Yes, I'm hoping that Christians will be able to answer my question.

Upvote 0

AnotherAtheist

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
East Midlands
✟123,826.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Summing up what I see so far in terms of the people who have actually answered the question, it is said to be based on faith. However, this appears to be a simple circular argument.

I.e.

Q: Why should people believe the Christian creation myth over the Bushongo creation myth?
A: Because people believe the Christian creation myth over the Bushongo creation myth.

For those who don't already believe the Christian version, something more is needed. What, if anything, is there?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
'Creation myth' is common usage.
If you're talking about the Genesis 1 creation story, the Bible says it, that settles it.

Jesus took it as written, and we Christians are followers of Jesus.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

As for your Bushongo creation myth, do you believe that?

If not, mind if we don't either?

Upvote 0

AnotherAtheist

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
East Midlands
✟123,826.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you're talking about the Genesis 1 creation story, the Bible says it, that settles it.

Jesus took it as written, and we Christians are followers of Jesus.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

How does the Bible outweigh the religious beliefs of the Bushongo? Why is one more likely to be correct than the other? The Bible is just a description of Christian (really pre-Christian since this is Old Testament) beliefs. A description does not justify.

As for your Bushongo creation myth, do you believe that?

If not, mind if we don't either?

I know full well that you believe the Biblical account and not the Bushongo account. What I'm asking here is if you can justify that belief.

I can't justify literal Christianity as being more likely to be true than the Bushongo account. Can you justify that?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How does the Bible outweigh the religious beliefs of the Bushongo?
The Bible is quick and powerful.

Where is the Bushongo's bible?
AnotherAtheist said:
I can't justify literal Christianity as being more likely to be true than the Bushongo account. Can you justify that?
I'm sure Bushongo would convert to Christianity, whereas no Christian would convert to Bushongo.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Look up Exploring Biblical Creation by Eric Hovind, if you can handle it, uses science to basically prove Biblical Worldview as fact.

No I can't handle watching Eric Hovind.

I usually end up with an epic headache from all the facepalms.
The movie clips also make me rip of my arm, just so I have something to throw at the TV.

Upvote 0

AnotherAtheist

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
East Midlands
✟123,826.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Bible is quick and powerful.

Where is the Bushongo's bible?I'm sure Bushongo would convert to Christianity, whereas no Christian would convert to Bushongo.

You say 'the Bible is quick and powerful'. What does this mean in terms of the accuracy and objective verifiability of its contents.

Also, are you claiming that a religion being popular indicates that its central tenants are correct? If so, how would you objectively justify this claim?

I know that Christianity is popular. What I'm asking here is one question which might contribute to an understanding of whether a popular religion (such as Christianity) can be justified as being more likely to be true than a less popular religion (such as Bushongo myths).

There are plenty of other reasons why a religion may be more or less popular, other than objective accuracy.

No I can't handle watching Eric Hovind.

I usually end up with an epic headache from all the facepalms.
The movie clips also make me rip of my arm, just so I have something to throw at the TV.

I did have a look at Eric Hovind, and it was the same old rubbish.

Like posts in this thread, if Hovind did actually have strong objective evidence to support his world-view, then he'd use that evidence in debates. He doesn't, but instead relies on the claptrap that he does.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
And we wouldn't want to get off subject on such a serious topic, now would we? :rolleyes:

Staying on topic is a rule that just about all forums implement.
If you wish to discuss another topic, nobody prevents your from creating a thread about that.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Is there any particular reason we should humor an atheist who comes to our forum and disrespects our faith? Why should we give any credence to the evolution myth? Or the myth of a universe that is billions of years old? We know your mind is closed to the matter and you're only here to make fun of those of us who are saved and will one day join our Lord in Heaven. Not a single atheist will be there.

It might be different if you had come here for civil conversation. It's obvious you prefer to insult our faith.

The guy is just asking what rational reasons there that the christian creation story is more likely then the other creation story presented.

The fact that you come in here and start ranting about his supposed and assumed "motives", instead of simply saying "for this and this reason", is very telling.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Believing deeply enough equates to knowing.

So, the jihadist KNOWS he'll get 70 virgins in an eternal paradise if he blows himself up at a public market?

For instance you have a very good friend that you trust, he says something happened, and as far as you are concerned, it did happen/it's a fact, that's just how much you believe in him, and know he will tell you the truth.

Is that what you call a "fact"?

In that case, I guess Tom Cruise, being an "operating thetan" really CAN bend space and time to his will................

• Haha
Reactions: Bugeyedcreepy
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Summing up what I see so far in terms of the people who have actually answered the question, it is said to be based on faith. However, this appears to be a simple circular argument.

I.e.

Q: Why should people believe the Christian creation myth over the Bushongo creation myth?
A: Because people believe the Christian creation myth over the Bushongo creation myth.

For those who don't already believe the Christian version, something more is needed. What, if anything, is there?

I doubt that anyone chooses their religion because they think that religion's creation story sounds good. They choose it because of the other points of the religion. Christianity isn't about Adam and Eve, it's about Jesus. People who convert to Christianity do so mostly because they agree with His teachings.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I did have a look at Eric Hovind, and it was the same old rubbish.

Like posts in this thread, if Hovind did actually have strong objective evidence to support his world-view, then he'd use that evidence in debates. He doesn't, but instead relies on the claptrap that he does.

The "new" Eric Hovind, along with his sidekick Sye Ten, is especially infuriating imo.
Even for a YEC, this guy is of another level then your average AnswersInGenesis follower/leader.

The condescending, arrogant, downright dishonest and manipulative style and argumentation ... I really honestly can't handle more then 2 minutes of that. It is really unsettling.

Upvote 0

AnotherAtheist

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
East Midlands
✟123,826.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The "new" Eric Hovind, along with his sidekick Sye Ten, is especially infuriating imo.
Even for a YEC, this guy is of another level then your average AnswersInGenesis follower/leader.

How do you know that?

• Haha
Reactions: Bugeyedcreepy
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟409,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are there any reasons why the Christian creation myth should be preferred to (or is more likely to be true than) the creation myth of the the Bushongo people, which says that the lonely God Bumba had a terrible stomach ache one day and vomited up the sun, moon, stars, and the earth?
Yes. Because the Christian myth is a more universal phenomenon than any other. There are few cultures that trace their story to the place current science also considers most likely . Ancient Mesopotamia. The story as handed down from Judeo-Christian sources are unmatched in prominence and depth. No other source has a story that displays by it's relevance and popularity the universal character inherent in the event. The event had to have profound meaning for it to be remembered for so long by so many different civilizations and cultures. The account in Genesis seems to resonate with that kind of meaning more than any other. The presentation of an archetype rooted in the objective good obviously rings more true in the human psyche than cosmic vomit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟293,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Christianity isn't about Adam and Eve, it's about Jesus. People who convert to Christianity do so mostly because they agree with His teachings.

True, but if the core of the Adam and Eve story is believed, then we are on a ride. And the name of that ride is "Knowledge of Good and Evil". And that actually explains a lot to me.

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
How do you know that?

You never saw these guys do their little routine of "can you be wrong about that which you think you know?" and their presuppositional nonsense that follows?

You should try it sometime.

Bit of advice: make sure you don't have any sharp objects within immediate reach. You WILL want to stab yourself. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AnotherAtheist

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
East Midlands
✟123,826.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
You never saw these guys do their little routine of "can you be wrong about that which you think you know?" and their presuppositional nonsense that follows?

You should try it sometime.

Bit of advice: make sure you don't have any sharp objects within immediate reach. You WILL want to stab yourself. :)

My post was a joke. I've seen/heard several Sye Ten 'debates' where all he does is repeat 'how do you know that?', no matter what the other person says.

• Haha
Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
My post was a joke. I've seen/heard several Sye Ten 'debates' where all he does is repeat 'how do you know that?', no matter what the other person says.

Ha, lol!
You got me there :)

It's friday... I got a bit of a brain overload again. I need a weekend of sleep.

But idd, you are right. It's incredibly frustrating.
And when you ask him how he knows what he states, his default answer is "...because god revealed it to me in such a way that i can be certain". lol

Sye Ten did a debate once with matt dilahunty. It's in full on youtube. One of the most hilarious "debates" I've ever seen.

Upvote 0

Galaxy Hunter

Jan 11, 2018
Milky Way Galaxy
✟19,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since nobody is going to think that they lost this debate I think it all comes down to personal taste. Hmmmm.....which one do I worship, the vomit or the God who created the Universe and gave His Son because He loves us? Since the second choice is backed up by science, history, culture and love why would an atheist think a person is foolish for picking it?

Upvote 0