Canada
✟181,094.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It's discussed in other threads. This thread is solely about the Bushombo account versus the Christian account.

But, could not someone equally put their faith in Bumba of the Bushombo religion equally as strongly as anyone believes in Jesus Christ?
Bumba can not deliver from sins and transform lives. You are a sinner, scripture says you are a servant/slave to sin. If you want to be free you have to accept Jesus came to free you and to forgive you. Forgive you eternally, once you trust Jesus you are saved.

It's a free offer from God with no strings attached, He wants you to have his love in your life.

Bumba does not offer this. He did not die on the cross for you. He did not reach down to you and come to you like Christ. He did not leave evidence for his existence, nor did he give you his words.

It's your free will choice. You are responsible. I hope you choose Jesus.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are there any reasons why the Christian creation myth should be preferred to (or is more likely to be true than) the creation myth of the the Bushongo people, which says that the lonely God Bumba had a terrible stomach ache one day and vomited up the sun, moon, stars, and the earth?

I like that one because it follows the idea that God created man for fellowship and that all of the Cosmos is thanks to God. It just altered some of the facts.

Upvote 0

AnotherAtheist

Gimmie dat ol' time physical evidence
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
East Midlands
✟123,826.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I mean, that depends on what you mean by true. You mean literally true? I don't take it as literally true--I don't believe the universe came into existence in a period of six days, or that Adam and Eve were literal-historic persons who by the litearl eating of a literal fruit from a literal forbidden tree introduced sin and death; but would agree with Origen of Alexandria that by these something deeper is intended to be conveyed.

I would again point out that I can't think of a reason someone who is neither Jew or Christian would need to seriously treat the story as anything other than a story--the relevance is only there if one already has a religious belief in which the story is relevant. I assume the Bushombo people derive a great deal of meaning from their story as part of their religio-cultural identity.

-CryptoLutheran

I'm talking about literal interpretations of the myths. Otherwise any creation myth can be reinterpreted to be anything at all.

From your point of view as per your post, I'm not sure that you would consider the literal accounts of either Genesis or Bumba to have any likelihood of being true. In which case, they are equal from the truth point of view. Is that a correct paraphrase?

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I prefer to favor whatever God has let me to know and certainly multiple mythological stories can be true. I don't think that the religion of Christianity has some kind of monopoly on ancient contemplation and I think that even in todays modern world that there is plenty of modern symbols to ruminate.

I like the idea that we were inside of God and are now outside of him. this myth that I never heard of reminds me of this:

Rev 3:15-17 (YLT)
I have known thy works, that neither cold art thou nor hot; I would thou wert cold or hot. So--because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I am about to vomit thee out of my mouth; because thou sayest--I am rich, and have grown rich, and have need of nothing, and hast not known that thou art the wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked,

so then in theosis we return to God and reunite with him:

Rev 3:18-22 (YLT)
I counsel thee to buy from me gold fired by fire, that thou mayest be rich, and white garments that thou mayest be arrayed, and the shame of thy nakedness may not be manifest, and with eye-salve anoint thine eyes, that thou mayest see. `As many as I love, I do convict and chasten; be zealous, then, and reform; lo, I have stood at the door, and I knock; if any one may hear my voice, and may open the door, I will come in unto him, and will sup with him, and he with me. He who is overcoming--I will give to him to sit with me in my throne, as I also did overcome and did sit down with my Father in His throne. He who is having an ear--let him hear what the Spirit saith to the assemblies.'

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟737,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm talking about literal interpretations of the myths. Otherwise any creation myth can be reinterpreted to be anything at all.

From your point of view as per your post, I'm not sure that you would consider the literal accounts of either Genesis or Bumba to have any likelihood of being true. In which case, they are equal from the truth point of view. Is that a correct paraphrase?

As far as describing what happened literally? Yeah I don't think either happened literally.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I like the mainstream science mythological story about reality as well. in the beginning we were all one and very very hot and lo and behold the universe started to expand. I think all three stories all correlate in the one reality and truth that is God and his other.

i'm happy that science will reveal even more truth about this symbolic reality.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Are there any reasons why the Christian creation myth should be preferred to (or is more likely to be true than) the creation myth of the the Bushongo people, which says that the lonely God Bumba had a terrible stomach ache one day and vomited up the sun, moon, stars, and the earth?
The reason why the biblical myth takes precedence is because those same ancients that had these creation myths abandoned them and accepted the biblical creationn story as divinely inspired. Even back when these myths were around the natives never considered them as of divine origin. This is why the greeks had many competing philosophies. In the pagan religion there were never any scriptures. Divinely inspired edicts came from the oracle as interpreted by priests and priestesses.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't know if the creation story should be taken literally or figuratively, but it is the truth.

• Winner
Reactions: .Mikha'el.
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Galaxy Hunter

Jan 11, 2018
Milky Way Galaxy
✟19,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you think they are both myths then you're right, there is no reason. If you are an atheist then it is a bit like asking "which one is not true, the lie or the lie?" If it then comes down to a matter of choice, I am not choosing the vomit.

• Winner
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is there any particular reason we should humor an atheist who comes to our forum and disrespects our faith? Why should we give any credence to the evolution myth? Or the myth of a universe that is billions of years old? We know your mind is closed to the matter and you're only here to make fun of those of us who are saved and will one day join our Lord in Heaven. Not a single atheist will be there.

It might be different if you had come here for civil conversation. It's obvious you prefer to insult our faith.

Upvote 0

Favourofone

Dec 28, 2017
Stockhol
✟18,322.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why should we give any credence to the evolution myth? Or the myth of a universe that is billions of years old? We know your mind is closed to the matter and you're only here to make fun of those of us who are saved and will one day join our Lord in Heaven. Not a single atheist will be there.

Well, evolution and old universe are “myths” with evidence behind them so that counts for something surely unless “your mind is closed to the matter”

As for your own salvation and absence of atheists you don’t know anything, you believe.

Just for curiosity do you know you won’t be seeing Christians who believe in evolution or old universe there either?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As for your own salvation and absence of atheists you don’t know anything, you believe.

Believing deeply enough equates to knowing.

For instance you have a very good friend that you trust, he says something happened, and as far as you are concerned, it did happen/it's a fact, that's just how much you believe in him, and know he will tell you the truth.

Upvote 0

Cat Loaf You

Dec 11, 2017
Warsaw
✟22,505.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why would you preffer myth of evolution of kinds over God Bumba with stomach ache ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Favourofone

Dec 28, 2017
Stockhol
✟18,322.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Believing deeply enough equates to knowing.

Afraid not, but whatever makes you sleep better at night.

You think those people who strap explosive belts on themselves and attack some Israeli border patrol don’t believe “deeply enough” ?

Somehow I get impression you still believe they are wrong on their choice of God and their actions despite of their demonstrably deep faith.

As for your friend analogy...if my Muslim friend told he just had a ride with Muhammad on winged horse and they went to see Allah where my friend got some virgin action I still wouldn’t believe him.

I would wonder a bit about his sanity, motives and whatever mushrooms he must have found and hoped he would come back to his senses sooner rather than later.

Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,555.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
During the debate, Hovind embarrassed himself by making a ridiculous claim that American public schools teach children they are "cousins of bananas"

its actually true according to evolution that we are related to banana. i think you should watch this debate of ken hovind (his father):

Upvote 0

Favourofone

Dec 28, 2017
Stockhol
✟18,322.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fraid so, sorry you haen't any trustworthy friends. The concept is clear and simple, and it can and does happen

Yeah, sorry for you letting your friends define your reality.

How about those suicide bombers having deep faith equating truth ?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Do the Bushongo have any explanation of how their creation story was transmitted to them?

Upvote 0