Why should a christian NOT commit suicide?

duolos777

Feb 7, 2014
✟7,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been a "strong Christian" for decades. Life started falling apart about 5 years ago. Lost reputation, house, rental, money and for two years, my daughter (18) will rarely speak to me, wife gives no support and wants a "legal separation" and has almost always deals with problems by avoiding and not talking (from bad childhood). I have waited for years hoping things would get better but, now my two years are up on my life insurance and I can leagally convert that to money for the family. The money/provision is 80% of my motivation and 20-40% is escaping the pain (yes I know that does not =100, but that is how emotions work/fluctuate - which I know is why they cant always be trusted!) Anyway, if you would pray that would be nice. My men's group and ministry group have prayed for years and God does not seam to be waiting for more pray-ers. But I think it is honoring to God to ask for prayers and to prayer becuase it demonstrates that He is first, He is omnipotent His help/assistance is what matters.

To the suicidal, "be happy and it will get better is meaningless". It is like talking chinese to an english speaker. "Work for God", "Think of those you leave and how selfish that is" - all of these CAN be of very little meaning when you are past a certain point. Recently a friend, upon hearing that my wife (who was on morphine for two years by the doctor) suggested she try Advil "since it really worked for my arthritis when nothing else would." When you are this far gone (as the could be evidenced by the quetion that started the thread - and that I have restleed with for years but could not mention in public) Advil is to broken back as "think on these things: whatever is pure..." is to deep depression. If you could you would. If a drunk could obstain, they wouldn't be asking for help.
Just some sharing :)

• Prayers
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been a "strong Christian" for decades. Life started falling apart about 5 years ago. Lost reputation, house, rental, money and for two years, my daughter (18) will rarely speak to me, wife gives no support and wants a "legal separation" and has almost always deals with problems by avoiding and not talking (from bad childhood). I have waited for years hoping things would get better but, now my two years are up on my life insurance and I can leagally convert that to money for the family. The money/provision is 80% of my motivation and 20-40% is escaping the pain (yes I know that does not =100, but that is how emotions work/fluctuate - which I know is why they cant always be trusted!) Anyway, if you would pray that would be nice. My men's group and ministry group have prayed for years and God does not seam to be waiting for more pray-ers. But I think it is honoring to God to ask for prayers and to prayer becuase it demonstrates that He is first, He is omnipotent His help/assistance is what matters.

To the suicidal, "be happy and it will get better is meaningless". It is like talking chinese to an english speaker. "Work for God", "Think of those you leave and how selfish that is" - all of these CAN be of very little meaning when you are past a certain point. Recently a friend, upon hearing that my wife (who was on morphine for two years by the doctor) suggested she try Advil "since it really worked for my arthritis when nothing else would." When you are this far gone (as the could be evidenced by the quetion that started the thread - and that I have restleed with for years but could not mention in public) Advil is to broken back as "think on these things: whatever is pure..." is to deep depression. If you could you would. If a drunk could obstain, they wouldn't be asking for help.
I overcame alcoholism, nicotine addiction, a lower back injury and numerous other things. I did this without wrestling or self-defense maneuvers. You cannot put vice, disease and infirmity in restraints or a jail cell.

A drunk got healed by trusting in God. How much of the Gospels can you remember? More than important than remembrance is the practice of such things. Some forms of arthritis such as gout might be cured with good nutrition practices. I used a Teeters back inversion table to rehab my back.

I would not recommend suicide to anyone, for it wrong to take a life. Some handicapped people overcame difficulties to become productive and help people. If God wants a person dead, that person will die. There are some community and government programs for the poor. There are many empty rooms in the world. Who can share? Some are eating themselves to death Some are starving. Obesity is more common in America than starvation.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about all that has happened to you. I will be praying for you.

I have a friend who lost everything and what he told me was this: "How do you know Jesus is all you need until Jesus is all you have." This is what I would encourage you with, that the promises of God are true and He has not left you nor forsaken you. I don't know why these things have happened to you, but I do know He is faithful.

You are certainly depressed and have suicidal ideation, but you know that isn't the answer which is why you're here. The reason that a Christian shouldn't kill himself is because God commanded that we should not kill. Our lives belong to God and it is up to Him and not us when we leave the Earth. Fear God in this matter and don't count on your plan because the wages of our sin is death.

Let me ask you, do you believe that Jesus can heal your heart?

• Winner
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hey there, I just came across this:

Hope it helps you

Upvote 0

mathinspiration

Nov 15, 2013
✟22,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Being Depressed or mental illnesses is one thing, but taking one's life is a sin and according to some churches, it is punishment is hell. Some are more lenient saying it is sad but there are reasons for people who have committed suicide. One of my friends committed suicide because he was afraid of being labeled as gay even though he got AIDS from his wife. He didn't want his family to know he had it.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
If a christian kills himself, he still goes to heaven, right? If God truly forgave him and accepted him in his kingdom, he won't change his mind later. Even if a sin like self-murder is commited.

So, other than perhaps not being a usable tool in God's earthly projects (such as bringing others to christ), and perhaps bearing a bad testimony to those left behind, why shouldn't a child of God prematurely die (that is, not by a "natural" cause, but by a willful choice)? I understand the motives may be selfish, but still.

If we will die anyways, and if we'll go to heaven anyways, then what's wrong with hastening it? Selfishly speaking, it only seems advantageous. Are there only altruistic reasons for not doing it?

Thoughts?
Heaven or no, a person will regret the decision to commit suicide.

• Agree
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

2tim_215

Supporter
Sep 9, 2017
New York
✟105,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Coming in late and haven't read most of the posts, but "Thou shalt not kill" is one of the commandments (which actually means murder). I think before God's eyes killing anyone (other than self defense) is considered murder. Now, why would that be? Because God is the only one who has the right to determine life and death. Supporting scriptures:
Deut 32:39
1 Sam 2:6
Psalm 90:3
2 Kings 5:7
Genesis 9:6
Duet 5:17

Upvote 0