Why should a christian NOT commit suicide?

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟30,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If a christian kills himself, he still goes to heaven, right? If God truly forgave him and accepted him in his kingdom, he won't change his mind later. Even if a sin like self-murder is commited.

So, other than perhaps not being a usable tool in God's earthly projects (such as bringing others to christ), and perhaps bearing a bad testimony to those left behind, why shouldn't a child of God prematurely die (that is, not by a "natural" cause, but by a willful choice)? I understand the motives may be selfish, but still.

If we will die anyways, and if we'll go to heaven anyways, then what's wrong with hastening it? Selfishly speaking, it only seems advantageous. Are there only altruistic reasons for not doing it?

Thoughts?
[for me anyway] because self-murder is a sin in which the person cannot repent of: by the way before the comfortable, clinical word suicide was invented to ease people's minds, it was called self-murder, which by the way is exactly what it is in truth.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Sorry, but I think that's rather a glib response and shows little understanding of the nature of depression.

Sometimes a person may use the word "depressed" when what they in fact mean is that they feel low, unhappy or upset. These feelings may be very real, and unpleasant, but will probably be temporary. They may disappear after a good night's sleep, a chat, or time of prayer with a friend, or practicing a hobby or pleasant activity.

Clinical depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. It requires medical treatment and intervention. It is just as much an illness as migraine, chicken pox or cancer. Would you tell a Christian with cancer that if they weren't cured, they had never really been one of God's sheep and he wasn't helping them? Was John Wimber not really a Christian because he had a brain haemorrhage?
I'm guessing that you wouldn't say this to, or about, such people - so why say it about someone with depression?

I know all about clinical depression. I believe in medication for depression. I believe in food for health. I also know that it isn't God's will that his sheep commit suicide and He takes care of us. A person can die of cancer without killing himself. I've had several relatives die of cancer. I have relatives with depression.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,019.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know all about clinical depression. I believe in medication for depression.

So do I.

I also know that it isn't God's will that his sheep commit suicide and He takes care of us.

No, it might not be his will. But, for some, their despair might be so great that that is what they do - maybe not even intentionally.
If a Christian does do that, it does not mean that they were never a Christian at all; i.e "one of his sheep."

A person can die of cancer without killing himself.

I know.
I wasn't saying that. I said that depression is just as much an illness as cancer is. If a Christian died from cancer - i.e the illness that they had killed them, you would not say that this proved they were never a Christian. But if a depressed person dies from their illness - i.e their depression is so bad that they believe the only way out is to kill themselves - then people seem to treat that differently.

I have relatives with depression.

I'm sorry to hear that. But I thought you might have known, in that case, that a depressed person may not always feel God's presence with them, know his guidance, or feel much emotion about anything much. Obviously that's not because God has withdrawn, but because of the nature of the illness.
Someone in a former church was a lovely Christian; prayed for others, hosted a Bible group and was quite active in the church. Yet suffered from terrible depression, to the point of having electric shock therapy. The late evangelist, David Watson, suffered from severe depression. It would not be right to say that neither of these people were God's sheep. True, they didn't kill themselves. but even if they had done, I am certain the Lord would have understood their despair.

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

EatingPie

Blueberry!
Mar 31, 2005
Visit site
✟4,703.00
Faith
Christian
Does Jesus' sacrifice on the cross only apply to the repentant? I think the answer is no. And such statements only lead to greater despair.

I suffer clinical depression and anxiety. I'm a drug addict on top. I've seen and experienced suffering so profound that it can overhwelm the human spirit, and these two illnesses do so time and again. I once experienced a sense of God's spirit disappearing, a feeling of total alone-ness. Probably the worst moment of my life... lasted all of 2 minutes. But the despair it created lasted far longer, and only by His grace did I survive.

I have often prayed in desperation for God's help, and felt only as though I was talking to the air. My illnesses block my sense of God's presence, and in such moments it's hard to grasp God's promises.

These are the types of moments that can lead to suicidal thoughts, and sometimes suicide itself.

And God does not stop free will, nor does He stop a crushed spirit from turning to suicide in their overwhelming despair. But more importantly: Nor does Christ's forgiveness on the cross somehow stop applying to this particular sin -- repentance or no.

Certainly the personal motives for suicide vary wildly. But to say as a blanket that God's forgiveness and Grace does not apply has two major issues.
  1. It makes us into God by Judging that person as beyond Grace
  2. It doesn't fit the theology of Christ's work on the cross to forgive once for all.
-Pie

• Winner
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but a self murderer who may believe that the world is better off without them, that their pain is too great to bear or cannot believe that God really loves them and things will ever get better. If someone has endogenous depression - an illness caused by a chemical imbalance - they may genuinely believe that removing themselves from the world would be doing someone else a service.
Then again, someone might only mean to cry out for help, but accidentally overdose. I've known someone who did that; they didn't intend dying, they just got comfort/security/attention from being in hospital.

Being mentally ill doesn't stop someone from accepting Jesus as their Saviour. It was prophesied that Jesus would not break a bruised reed; surely he would show compassion for the mentally ill?

I was not referring to the mentally ill who do not have an understanding of right or wrong. But if a person knows there is a right and wrong and they could have chosen the good (having no excuse before God), they will be guilty. Also, it is possible that a person who later becomes mentally ill could be judged by God (when they did have their mental capacities working just fine), too. We do not know for sure in every person's situation and case according to God. Maybe God gave every chance for a person to repent (before their mental breakdown) and their mental state is a permanent judgment upon them before they die.

Upvote 0

PanDeVida

Feb 21, 2007
✟42,102.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If a christian kills himself, he still goes to heaven, right? If God truly forgave him and accepted him in his kingdom, he won't change his mind later. Even if a sin like self-murder is commited.

So, other than perhaps not being a usable tool in God's earthly projects (such as bringing others to christ), and perhaps bearing a bad testimony to those left behind, why shouldn't a child of God prematurely die (that is, not by a "natural" cause, but by a willful choice)? I understand the motives may be selfish, but still.

If we will die anyways, and if we'll go to heaven anyways, then what's wrong with hastening it? Selfishly speaking, it only seems advantageous. Are there only altruistic reasons for not doing it?

Thoughts?

You are not your own, to kill! To Kill you break the one of the Ten Commandments of "Thou Shall Not Kill". If one does kill themselves they hasten their way not into heaven, but to hell.

To be selfish in this way is not having God in them, but satan.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,019.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are not your own, to kill! To Kill you break the one of the Ten Commandments of "Thou Shall Not Kill". If one does kill themselves they hasten their way not into heaven, but to hell.

That's a rather harsh thing to say to a Christian who may be depressed, or mentally ill. And I think it would be unkind, and untrue, to tell the relatives of a person who committed suicide, "your loved one had Satan in them and is in hell."
None of us know their mind, heart or salvation; only God.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ok. But what about those who don't like their life? What about someone who suffers physically? Or someone who's just sick of life (maybe they got hurt, or whatever reason they may hold for it)?

Does God really need us to share the gospel anyways? I understand that's the mean he wants to use though. But he doesn't need us.

I suppose one more reason could be offered. Maybe we won't be able to grow spiritually and get closer to him, but I also suppose we'll have plenty of that in heaven.

I have fought medical issues for years and battle Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis. I am in pain every day and will be until the day I die. I tried one time to do a mission and got cornered about a God of love letting someone suffer in pain their whole lives and why they should follow someone like that. I had no answer.... Made me think hard. It'd be nice to be in Heaven where pain is absent. I have no intention of EVER spreading the word of God or what is great about him as I have no place to speak... I gave deep thought to suicide back in 2007 and was taken to a mental rehab center during that time. Christianity is a relationship with God. You don't need church to so this, you don't need to tell other people about him, ect... I justify suicide in certain circumstances

Upvote 0

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian

sorry, but suicide does not mean an eternity in hell. The fact that the bible leaves this subject unclear keeps many alive due to the uncertainty. If you are saved, loved by God and know God, nothing will stand in the way from salvation and Heaven, not even suicide. This is not spread out word for word though. If it was, I bet my bottom dollar suicides would have skyrocketed

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
God cares for His sheep. People are trying to say that Satan has more power to take a person down than God has power to prevent suicide. I don't believe that. I will never believe that. A Christian who dies of cancer or any other disease goes to heaven. A non-Christian who dies doesn't go to heaven. A person who hates his disease and therefore chooses suicide doesn't trust God to get him through that ordeal. I don't for one minute believe that God won't come to the despairing person and give him some hope. Suppose the person is about to take his own life and God intervenes! There is a reason God intervenes. He loves His sheep. He is there to provide what the sheep needs.

These are not lies:

Philippians 4
19 But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

2 Corinthians 9
8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

Ephesians 3
14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; 17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, 21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

God has helped me all my life even though I was surrounded by unbelievers. He had a plan for my life and that plan included faith. I believe His promises and I believe that the Good Shepherd will take care of His sheep just as He promised. He keeps His promises! BELIEVE HIM!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Well, it could be that your own words are the ones God might use in making his decision. “Sin” of “self-murder”. Christians are called to stop sinning, and that would include murder. Jesus paid the price for us to be forgiven our sin by suffering a brutal death on the cross – which is good to forgive even the sin of murder. Actual Christians grasp that God’s love for us is deep, so deep that he would give his life for ours, so that we can have life. Without his sacrifice for us on the cross, we could not have life. So, your sin of self-murder, while knowing God’s kindnesses toward you, does not bode well for your future.

Also, God might use your words, “selfishly speaking” as well. He might question you, “After my son was brutally beaten for you so I could save you, why did you so selfishly throw away the life I have given you?” I presume your answer would be what you said in your post. “It seemed advantageous.” Advantageous to you, maybe, but certainly not to God. And he is the one who matters most.

Have you heard about the man to whom God gave a talent and wanted him to go out and use it for God’s purposes? The man feared God’s judgment and hid the talent, not using it. This very much is akin to throwing away a life to suicide. When the man’s day of judgment came, with his awareness that he had refused to use the talent God gave him, he came up short and God cast him into outer darkness. Matt. 25:30.

I’ve spent many nights for many years imagining me blowing my brains out in various fits of depression. What kept me from it was the fear of God. Such a sin I knew might keep me out of the kingdom of God. I knew his anger would be aroused by taking such a foolish act of destroying the life God gave me. One of the Proverbs says that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. My initial fear of God saved me from such a rash decision. By not caving in to my own self-pity, God over time has healed my mind and heart, and I give him the praise and glory for making the best years of my life be the here and now.

The reason for not committing suicide is that God commands it. Deut. 30:16 “Choose life, so that you may live.” Jesus said “If you love me, keep my commandments.” Obedience to God is what Christians are called to do. Blatantly defying him by committing suicide in my opinion, and based on God's word, would not be wise. Jesus also said, “He who would give up his life for my sake shall find it.” In this case, giving up the idea of suicide and trading it in for the question of How can I serve God today? is the more sensible thing to do. It also helps you to learn how to love your neighbor, which we are commanded to do.

God bless you a trillion times for sharing these words.

Upvote 0

nuranoora

Sep 22, 2016
ON
✟4,862.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thoughts?

"If we will die anyways, and if we'll go to heaven anyways,..."
Sorry for my choice of words now but it's kind of silly to say this to be quite honest with you. If you say it like that, then I can't see the reason behind why parents don't kill their children when they are born (because they will die anyways...), why do women give birth (because the life she gives will die anyways), and in the end, what's the point of living? This sounds very messed up.
What I believe is, GOD gave us life. We are all equal when we are born-you, me, another stranger, etc. GOD gives us Life-the biggest and the most worthy thing He could ever give. Not only that but he also provided you with all the basic needs you need for living. I don't agree that God already picks people that are going to Heaven before they are born. I believe that people are given free will from the day they come to this planet. It is your task while you are here, to work as hard as you can, to spread love, to respect others, and most importantly to serve GOD and to be thankful each and every day for being where you are. If you take the most beautiful thing-Life-and you end it because YOU(the one who was given life) simply wanted to, you will most certainly not go to Heaven as you disobeyed and offended GOD. Life is sometimes easy sometimes hard for every single person alive. It's a GOD's test that makes him know whether you are living by His rules or you are living the life however you want to. For Him to let you in Heaven you need to work and pray and be devoted. Life is a blessing and you have no rights to destroy it because the life you live is GOD's gift and is Holy. I hope this made sense and helped!

Upvote 0

mike c

Feb 17, 2017
california, United States
✟7,916.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This is a difficult question. At a certain point the human body starts to
deteriorate. We are less able to function. We may require expensive
medical care. Why would it be wrong to exit in order to leave what financial
resources you have left to your family and church rather than to health
insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies. In the United States
the government remains clueless how to pay for all us aging baby boomers.
Why is it wrong to exit so as not to be a financial burden to younger working
families who would likely be stuck with the bill ?On the other hand, we could miss out on opportunities to do God's work even in our less-functional state. So it's a tough one. Life often involves choosing between bad alternatives, and maybe suicide can be a Christian response in some circumstances
This is just my opinion and I respect those who feel differently

Upvote 0

savchambo

Jan 20, 2017
Tampa, Florida
✟8,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree that Christians can have depression. Then we pray for God's guidance. In some cases, God might want you on medication because there is something your body needs just as we need certain minerals and vitamins in our diets to stay physically healthy. If you love God, you want to obey Him. If you trust God to care for you in all circumstances, you tell Satan to leave and stop whispering thoughts of suicide. You tell your doctor that the medication is inadequate.

Have you killed yourself? The answer is, "No."

Mark 9:24
And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

1 Peter 5
7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

Isaiah 26
3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Luke 18 KJV
1 And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;

Luke 18 NIV
1 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.

James 5
16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

17 Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.

18 And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.

Do you believe God answers prayer? Do you believe God cares?
I believe that. There were times I wanted Him to let me die. But His will for my life is more important than my will.

Isaiah 55
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

God's will is that you live! If it was not His will, you wouldn't be here. God bless you --- He loves you!

Thank you for this!

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Here are some links designed to shed some much-needed light on the subject of our brothers and sisters in Christ who suffer with depression. It is a very real thing, and not something to shrug off and take lightly; it is truly a nightmare for those who struggle with it as well as their families/friends who go through it with them, perhaps even struggling themselves. Along with that, I have included a link with a little food for thought regarding Christians and suicide. Many points made in this article make pretty good sense.

5 Things Christians Should Know About Depression and Anxiety

Can "Real" Christians Be Depressed?

7 Things NOT to Say to a Depressed Christian

If a Christian commits suicide, is he still forgiven? | CARM Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry

I'm not seeking to debate here, nor to add to the confusion of this already hard-to-understand issue; I'm merely trying to show a some reasonable perspectives based on the Bible. I hope these links are found to be helpful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Here are some links designed to shed some much-needed light on the subject of our brothers and sisters in Christ who suffer with depression. It is a very real thing, and not something to shrug off and take lightly; it is truly a nightmare for those who struggle with it as well as their families/friends who go through it with them, perhaps even struggling themselves. Along with that, I have included a link with a little food for thought regarding Christians and suicide. Many points made in this article make pretty good sense.

5 Things Christians Should Know About Depression and Anxiety

Can "Real" Christians Be Depressed?

7 Things NOT to Say to a Depressed Christian

If a Christian commits suicide, is he still forgiven? | CARM Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry

I'm not seeking to debate here, nor to add to the confusion of this already hard-to-understand issue; I'm merely trying to show a some reasonable perspectives based on the Bible. I hope these links are found to be helpful.

wanna witness,

1. In all due respect, the CARM view is Unconditional Eternal Security position and according to scripture is not true.
Eternal life being eternal is true because it is an eternal substance.
The possession of it is different being based on man's ability to make a free will choice contrary to God when sinning 1 John 2:1-2 even to the point of changing masters Roman's 6. Even Paul said he could become a reprobate if he didn't mortify the members of his body.

2. Suicide would have to be in most cases.
God is righteous and holy and sovereign and looks at the heart before the person gets to the point of suicide.
A friend of mine had a sibling who was an alcoholic in which he said he talked to him about the need to be saved and he agreed and prayed the sinner's prayer with him. The next day he committed suicide.
If he was cognitive and his heart was into living for God and believed by faith he was saved.
If he had a chemical imbalance which renders him as not cognitive because of his physical state that renders him to not overcome his depression. Was he still saved or not?
God knows and we may never really know completely until we reach the other side.
I got into a depressed state with my first marriage and took about 25 aspirin; the first five w/o water. I didn't necessarily want to kill myself but I believe I had a chemical imbalance physically that prevented me from changing my mind to not take them.
I probably wouldn't have died and fortunately I walked it off and they didn't have to pump my stomach. Talk about ignorance being blessed.
The devil is out there to steal, kill, and destroy the Christian and try to take advantage of those who may not have knowledge of certain things. We are not perfect in our knowledge. Some will have the chance to make a cognitive decision before they commit suicide but those that may not because of a physical condition already in play such as my friend's sibling might be different. Who knows? Only God for sure. Food for thought! Jerry Kelso

• Informative
Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
wanna witness,

1. In all due respect, the CARM view is Unconditional Eternal Security position and according to scripture is not true.
Eternal life being eternal is true because it is an eternal substance.
The possession of it is different being based on man's ability to make a free will choice contrary to God when sinning 1 John 2:1-2 even to the point of changing masters Roman's 6. Even Paul said he could become a reprobate if he didn't mortify the members of his body.

2. Suicide would have to be in most cases.
God is righteous and holy and sovereign and looks at the heart before the person gets to the point of suicide.
A friend of mine had a sibling who was an alcoholic in which he said he talked to him about the need to be saved and he agreed and prayed the sinner's prayer with him. The next day he committed suicide.
If he was cognitive and his heart was into living for God and believed by faith he was saved.
If he had a chemical imbalance which renders him as not cognitive because of his physical state that renders him to not overcome his depression. Was he still saved or not?
God knows and we may never really know completely until we reach the other side.
I got into a depressed state with my first marriage and took about 25 aspirin; the first five w/o water. I didn't necessarily want to kill myself but I believe I had a chemical imbalance physically that prevented me from changing my mind to not take them.
I probably wouldn't have died and fortunately I walked it off and they didn't have to pump my stomach. Talk about ignorance being blessed.
The devil is out there to steal, kill, and destroy the Christian and try to take advantage of those who may not have knowledge of certain things. We are not perfect in our knowledge. Some will have the chance to make a cognitive decision before they commit suicide but those that may not because of a physical condition already in play such as my friend's sibling might be different. Who knows? Only God for sure. Food for thought! Jerry Kelso

What you say makes sense, also. And when I said many points in the suicide article from CARM made sense, I was not saying I agreed with all of it. It just had some points that I thought were good that I felt would lend some understanding to the subject of Christians with depression, even to contemplating suicide. I don't understand a lot about "chemical imbalances" and what causes them. I just know they're not normal and make the human body and mind go crazy. I can't really understand suicide myself, and I worry for those who are contemplating it, mainly because life is precious and God does not wish for any life to end until He wants it to. I do, however, understand depression. It's very real in my family; I even have it to a degree, although not where it's worrisome. Therefore, I can sympathize with those who suffer it, Christian or not. But as long as we are on this earth, we will suffer illnesses. Depression is an illness, just like cancer, hepatitis, and lupus are illnesses. We are not going to be totally whole until we get our glorified bodies.

You are right. Who knows these things better than God Himself?

Thanks for the food for thought.

Upvote 0

jerry kelso

Food For Thought
Mar 13, 2013
✟104,142.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
What you say makes sense, also. And when I said many points in the suicide article from CARM made sense, I was not saying I agreed with all of it. It just had some points that I thought were good that I felt would lend some understanding to the subject of Christians with depression, even to contemplating suicide. I don't understand a lot about "chemical imbalances" and what causes them. I just know they're not normal and make the human body and mind go crazy. I can't really understand suicide myself, and I worry for those who are contemplating it, mainly because life is precious and God does not wish for any life to end until He wants it to. I do, however, understand depression. It's very real in my family; I even have it to a degree, although not where it's worrisome. Therefore, I can sympathize with those who suffer it, Christian or not. But as long as we are on this earth, we will suffer illnesses. Depression is an illness, just like cancer, hepatitis, and lupus are illnesses. We are not going to be totally whole until we get our glorified bodies.

You are right. Who knows these things better than God Himself?

Thanks for the food for thought.

wanna witness,

I appreciate your concern and we need to contemplate and understand what the word says in order to be a good and faithful witness.
The Bible is clear about many things in plain statements but even plain statements have a context and can have a different meaning than one might think according to the amount of knowledge they may have on the subject. These get into paradoxes etc.
I really haven't thought enough about the subject enough but I will start and maybe we will discuss it again.
We see through a glass darkly but soon all things will become clear. Got to go back to work. God bless for wanting to be a witness for God. Jerry kelso

Upvote 0

AntiVillain

Jul 20, 2014
✟150,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
That's a rather harsh thing to say to a Christian who may be depressed, or mentally ill. And I think it would be unkind, and untrue, to tell the relatives of a person who committed suicide, "your loved one had Satan in them and is in hell."
None of us know their mind, heart or salvation; only God.

To quote Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992):

Priest: "She has taken her own life, my son... Her soul cannot be saved...she is damned. It is God's law."

Dracula: "Is this my reward for defending God's Church?!"

Priest: "Sacrilege! Do not turn your back against Christ!! He has chosen you to protect..."

Dracula: "I renounce Him! I renounce God! ...and all you hypocrites who feed off Him! If my beloved burns in Hell, so shall I..."

Basically, I wouldn't want to potentially have to answer for embittering said relatives against God.

P.S.: Funny how so many people preach "free will" when someone screws up, but not when he/she does something good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thoughts?

Jesus gave His life helping others.
A good rule of thumb.

Upvote 0