Why pray to the dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by onesheep
Christ promised that those who believed in Him would not die. Those in Christ are alive. We believers have eternal life. We will never die.

Oh okay...I see. I am go to a Methodist church and we aren't taught that..but at least I know what Catholics believe now because I was curious. Thanks for clearing that up.

Bless you :pink:

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by MissytheButterfly
Points taken, but do Catholics believe these people are still alive ? That's where I am confused...I understand praying to Jesus..but I thought some of the others died...?

Their spirits are in heaven worshipping God.

"He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive." (Luke 20:38)

I don't know if you saw my other post but they're probably more alive than us.

Also keep in mind that apostle Paul regarded those in heaven and earth as one family (Eph 3:15), one body (Romans 12:5, 1 Cor 12:27)

Many protestants believe that those in heaven are separated from those on earth, as 2 separate bodies, but Heb 12:1, and Heb 22-24 appear to say that we are among the living (in some spiritual sense). That would perhaps explain Eph 3:15 =)

By the way, the interesting thing about Eph 3:15 is that I've been praying apostle Paul's prayer of Eph 3:14-21 for over a year, and little did I realize the reality of 'family in heaven and earth' in Eph 3:15 =)

God seems to reveal new stuff to me everyday!

God bless!

-Jason

Upvote 0

stnkyminky

Trying to stay on the narrow road
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟225.00
"He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive" (Luke 20:38)

I understand this as being spiritually dead/alive. Before accepting Christ, we are all dead.

When I ask others to pray for me, I don't have a prayer that I say that asks them to pray for me. It's more like, "Hey, I've got some problems. Would you pray for me?"

Trying to understand ...... :scratch:

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by stnkyminky
"He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive" (Luke 20:38)

I understand this as being spiritually dead/alive. Before accepting Christ, we are all dead.

When I ask others to pray for me, I don't have a prayer that I say that asks them to pray for me. It's more like, "Hey, I've got some problems. Would you pray for me?"

Trying to understand ...... :scratch:

Hi Stnkyminky,

I don't exactly know what you're trying to get at, but yea I do that too :) It's always encouraging to ask others to pray for me =)

Catholics do the same thing for believers who are in heaven. I know it may sound bizarre but Eph 3:15, Heb 12:1 and Heb 12:22-24 gives us solid reason to believe that we are among the believers in heaven (in some spiritual sense).

The only thing is the Bible doesn't exactly tell us how to go about asking the saints to pray for us.

-Jason

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by stnkyminky
That's all that Catholics ask of the Saints, too. And it has been said many times over, 'to pray' means 'to ask'.

Catholics believe that the saints who have died before us are alive in Heaven and with our Lord.

2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

We believe that the Body of Christ is WHOLE. That includes the saints on earth and the Saints in Heaven.

Romans 12:5 so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.

1 Corinthians 12:12 The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ.

1 Corinthians 12:27 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.

We believe that asking for intercessory prayer from our brothers and sisters in Christ is entirely Scriptural and extremely profitable.

Matthew 21:22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."

Romans 15:30 I urge you, brothers, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me.

2 Corinthians 1:11 as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our[1] behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.

Ephesians 6:18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

1 Timothy 2:1 I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone--

James 5:16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.