Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Therefore being justified by faith.......

6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.

8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

(Romans 5)

Ever wonder..... why???

Not that... I'm sure many of us could recite a sound theological exposition, either in the form of Bible verses or an excerpt from a catechism or statement of faith; yet I often find myself asking why?

Yeah, God being a loving entity; (if none less than a practical one, in His unwillingness to not waste a perfectly good universe (relatively speaking - here and now, of course) that He created..... only to the end result of a "total loss"? Nope, God didn't do that. What would be the point in creating something just to sacrifice its utter entirety to eternal destruction? To quote Spock: "That would not be logical Captain!")

So yes. God is logical and God is loving.

Knowing and being throughly convicted though, that I certainly don't deserve redemption; (none of us do) I find it dumbfounding beyond ability to utter, being able to "wrap my brain around" an.... action that would care to redeem any of us.

Humanity; we are a sorry lot, we are!

We often use the words "love", "grace" and "mercy" to describe God's intention / actions. Yet I find myself having trouble employing these words; for too often today "love" means unconditional tolerance, "grace" means uncontrolled lasciviousness and "mercy" means total loss of any concept of accountability.

So... how about any other "me too"(s)?

Let's hear your reflection on our unworthy election.

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,225,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I will have to put in my me too.

I have a scratch my head as to why He picked me. I was not a nice kid growing up. I was the brat of the 4 kids. I whined when I didn't get my way and was a manipulative little stinker. Surely there were more worthy people He would have chosen?

So why did he pick me? God's ways are inscrutable.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
These two portions of Scripture, one from the OT and one from NT, reflect the same truth of God's electing purpose to manifest His faithfulness to the undeserving...
Deuteronomy 7:7-9
"It was not because you were more in number than any other people that the Lord set his love on you and chose you, for you were the fewest of all peoples, but it is because the Lord loves you and is keeping the oath that he swore to your fathers, that the Lord has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt. Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations."

1 Corinthians 1:26-31
"consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.”"

Upvote 0