Status
Not open for further replies.

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
FearAndTrembeling said:
Why did God choose Mary to be the virgin in which Jesus would be conceived?

There is no way of knowing. God is an awesome God and He knew what He was doing. What I do know is that Mary is due our respect and trust. Jesus would not want it any other way.

She is our heavenly mother, and I thank God everday for putting her in my life, for I know that my relationship with Jesus would not be where it is at without her.

I also know this, that if one develops a relationship with Mary, it will only increase their love for Jesus, for she is the Magnificat, whenever you go to her she is always pointing to her son, like any good mother would.

We are also blessed to have her as a role model, she completely abandoned her life to God and she said yes to His will. We would all do well to grow closer to her and learn from her. She is also a model for what we are to strive for.

Upvote 0

FearAndTrembeling

Aug 29, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
✟15,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Isn't because It was part of Gods plan? Isn't it because Joseph was of the promised seed? The line of David?

Matthew 1: 1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. 2 Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren; 3 And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram; 4 And Aram begat Aminadab; and Aminadab begat Naasson; and Naasson begat Salmon; 5 And Salmon begat Booz of Rachab; and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse; 6 And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias; 7 And Solomon begat Roboam; and Roboam begat Abia; and Abia begat Asa; 8 And Asa begat Josaphat; and Josaphat begat Joram; and Joram begat Ozias; 9 And Ozias begat Joatham; and Joatham begat Achaz; and Achaz begat Ezekias; 10 And Ezekias begat Manasses; and Manasses begat Amon; and Amon begat Josias; 11 And Josias begat Jechonias and his brethren, about the time they were carried away to Babylon: 12 And after they were brought to Babylon, Jechonias begat Salathiel; and Salathiel begat Zorobabel; 13 And Zorobabel begat Abiud; and Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor; 14 And Azor begat Sadoc; and Sadoc begat Achim; and Achim begat Eliud; 15 And Eliud begat Eleazar; and Eleazar begat Matthan; and Matthan begat Jacob; 16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ. 17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations. 18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. 19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily. 20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.

So wasn't all this done according to Gods perfect time table?
7+7 = 14 Generations
7+7 = 14 Generations
7+7 = 14 Generations

Six sevens.

Matthew 24:34 - Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

What shall be the seventh seven?

Genesis 2:2 - And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
Genesis 2:3 - And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Exodus 16:30 - So the people rested on the seventh day.

Hebrews 4:3 - For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Hebrews 4:9-12 - 9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. 12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Matthew 1: 22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, 23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. 24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife: 25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.

Upvote 0

TAquinas

Apr 16, 2005
Colorado
✟15,937.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You have done some interesting work on the timeline of salvation, you should have someone take a look at it i.e. Peter " That there is no prophesy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation" in accordance with scriptural principles. However it doesn't address your initial question-Why did God choose Mary to be the virgin in which Jesus would be concieved?

We only know why she was given the honor because of her decision concerning her virginity and because of her state of grace. But why Mary in particular was chosen to be the one in that state of grace isn't answered in scripture.

Peace and God Bless
TAquinas

Reactions: Qoheleth
Upvote 0

HolyGuardianAngels

Merry Christmas Everyone
Mar 10, 2005
Southern California, just minutes from the beach !
✟17,081.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
FearAndTrembeling said:

(Imprimatur)

We read:

My child, I would not have been worthy to be the Mother of Jesus if my love for Him had not been greater than that of all other intelligent creatures. That love daily grew greater in me because daily I discovered new perfections in this Divine Child.

~I want to emphise the words: "worthy", "greater", "grew"!

We say, Mary gave her Fiat!!

(Imprimatur)

We read:

Gabriel then told Mary that God had chosen her to be the mother of His Son, the Savior of the world.

and

Mary responded to God's request with abandoned obedience, saying: "Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord; let it be to me according to you word". As a result, Mary became, as the Church has boldly taught throughout the ages, "the Mother of God."

Here I place emphasis on the words: "chosen", "REQUEST", "obedience", "result"

Also:
"We encourage you to see in Mary a model for following Jesus."

We say:
Hail, holy queen, Mother of Mercy,
our life, our sweetness and our hope!:prayer:

~Queen of Heaven, we love you!

I hope this is of some help.:wave:

God Bless
:angel:

Reactions: Rising_Suns
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
FearAndTrembeling said:

Of all of the women who ever lived or ever will live, He could have chosen any. Surely He must have seen something special in that pure, sweet, and holy little girl.

Upvote 0

FearAndTrembeling

Aug 29, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
✟15,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
you should have someone take a look at it i.e. Peter " That there is no prophesy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation" in accordance with scriptural principles.
That is right, all scripture is to be compared against itself when understanding doctrine.

I still read that Jesus was born to Mary because she was the Wife of Joseph who was 13 generations after the carrying away into Babylon and of the seed of Adam, Noah, Abraham, Jacob, and David.

It seems like there is more emphesis on the fact that all this was done according to Gods preplanned timeline. Indeed God directs all things, therefore directed Mary to be enspouced to Joseph, which allowed Jesus to come from the seed of Seth, the Son of Adam, the Son of God. Which also allowed God to fulfill His Promise in Genesis 3:15, and again to fulfill His Word to Abraham in Genesis 17:14, and again to Jacob in Genesis 25:23.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟444,305.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
FearAndTrembeling said:

I do not think God choose her so much, as HE specifically created her for the role.

;) I think if we step back, we will ponder how Jesus was prophecied, and He was because God had already PRE PLANNED the entire event.

God wouldnt leave it up to chance. He already 'knew' Mary, before she was ever conceived. :groupray:

Upvote 0

TAquinas

Apr 16, 2005
Colorado
✟15,937.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
FearAndTrembeling said:
That is right, all scripture is to be compared against itself when understanding doctrine.

I still read that Jesus was born to Mary because she was the Wife of Joseph who was 13 generations after the carrying away into Babylon and of the seed of Adam, Noah, Abraham, Jacob, and David.

It seems like there is more emphesis on the fact that all this was done according to Gods preplanned timeline. Indeed God directs all things, therefore directed Mary to be enspouced to Joseph, which allowed Jesus to come from the seed of Seth, the Son of Adam, the Son of God. Which also allowed God to fulfill His Promise in Genesis 3:15, and again to fulfill His Word to Abraham in Genesis 17:14, and again to Jacob in Genesis 25:23.

Are you inferring that scripture interprets itself?

If so, do you have scripture to reference that?

Peace and God Bless
TAquinas

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟444,305.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
TAquinas said:

Peace and God Bless
TAquinas

:thumbsup: And I add, since the life and times of the Virgin, and the Apostles before Jesus were not recorded in the Bible, does this mean they didnt exist?? ;)

By no means....in fact, Scripture has much of what we need...as taught by the Apostles, and written for all times, specifically for Christ's Church...

But they also taught in crowds, and converted, and not everything Christ said, nor the Apostles said was completely recorded.

So if you do not have the oral teachings, you lack half the Truth. :o

Upvote 0

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
FearAndTrembeling said:

How does this contradict the assertion that God made her to be the Mother of Jesus?

Upvote 0

FearAndTrembeling

Aug 29, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
✟15,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How does this contradict the assertion that God made her to be the Mother of Jesus?
It doesn't.
Why not Mary?
Because Mary was. She was the wife of Joseph, who came from the seed of Jacob. Mary was the virgin spoken of by the prophet in Isaiah 7:14. Mary was the given sign in the fulfilling of Gods Word.
But they also taught in crowds, and converted, and not everything Christ said, nor the Apostles said was completely recorded.

So if you do not have the oral teachings, you lack half the Truth.
I do not believe that.
John 20:31 - But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Revelation 22:9 - Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.

Peace and God Bless
TAquinas
1 Corinthians 2:13 - Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Yes,it interprets itself as the Word of God, as the truth - a Spiritual thing. In its entirty, completed. As if a breath, all said at once, to the generation which has the Word of God - The testimony of Jesus Christ.

Psalm 119.

Isaiah 28:9-10 9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. 10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

John 6:63 - It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

1 John 5:6 - This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

John 14:6 - Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 14:17 - Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

John 15:26 - But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 4:24 - God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Genesis 1: -1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

Colossians 1: 14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: 15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: 16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Proverbs 22: 17 Bow down thine ear, and hear the words of the wise, and apply thine heart unto my knowledge. 18 For it is a pleasant thing if thou keep them within thee; they shall withal be fitted in thy lips. 19 That thy trust may be in the LORD, I have made known to thee this day, even to thee. 20 Have not I written to thee excellent things in counsels and knowledge, 21 That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth; that thou mightest answer the words of truth to them that send unto thee?

Job 19:23 - Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book!

John 5:39-47 39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. 41 I receive not honour from men. 42 But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you. 43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive. 44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only? 45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. 46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me. 47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

2 Peter 1: 19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Revelation 19:10 - And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of PROPHECY

Revelation 22:10 - And he saith unto me, Seal not the SAYINGS of the PROPHECY of this book: for the time is at hand.

Revelation 22:18 - For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the PROPHECY of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Revelation 22:19 - And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this PROPHECY, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

1 Corinthians 2:13 - Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Isaiah 28:12-13 12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. 13 But the word of the LORD was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.