Why is virginity mocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Prophetess

Amazing Grace, How Sweet You Are Lord Jesus!
Jan 17, 2010
California USA
✟17,661.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
And the guy you were with? What did he do? I'm honestly curious because you claim it could only be god's work, however I still don't see any evidence that points to god.

Ok, so you admit, then, that it's possible to do with no divine intervention. What, specifically leads you to believe it was god?

It's true, I was not there. However, I do know how religiosity effects perception. I used to believe god was "working" in my life, but now I realize it was simply me. :thumbsup:

Obviously, I don't believe the Red Sea parted as stated in the Bible.

Chance, coincidence, fairies, Allah, Vishnu, leprechauns. Who knows?

Which guy that I was with?

What specifically leads me to believe it was God is that it is. I doubt it would make sense to you since you've already decided to set your mind to believing what you think you know so it becomes a conundrum to you. (I am a bit surprised however at your questions. Most people, when confronted with a conundrum, just quit and throw up their hands. You seem genuinely interested. Interesting.)

However, I pray about things all the time. My DH, for many years, didn't believe that God answers prayers for things that are not necessary--not a crisis. So I would ask, "Please God, let this bull sell for at least $2,000." DH says, "That really stupid. God does not answer those kinds of prayers." And the bull does sell for that. He says, "That was lucky." I laugh. This happened enough times that he (a "man's man" I'm told by a neighbor) stopped saying it. I prayed, "Please God, let this cow have a super good calf. And she does." By the end of a few years, it became apparent that I had something, some in, with God (or somebody). He got quiet. He stopped saying anything. And then he started to say I was a witch or devil worshiper that I could make things happen. I told him that he could call God a devil, but that was not a good choice on his part. I also said that, if it was the devil, he'd better walk pretty lightly because the devil was not going to tolerate his insubordination. He decided that I was getting through somehow to someone, and he'd better let it be. In fact, once he even asked me to pray. My DH has come to the point that he doesn't say to me anymore, "God doesn't care about those little things" because he sees God answers my prayers. He doesn't understand, and he still occasionally makes comments about it. For a while, he just kept his mouth shut--a while as in a couple of years. But now, he prays with me (very, very skeptically) and on occasion and prays with me that things will happen--well he let's me pray and then says he agrees with me that we are both asking for the same thing. And things happen. God answers prayer.

It is so wonderful to have this relationship with God. God is so amazing!

I am not a religious person. In fact, for a long time, I didn't go to church--years. I'd consider that type of person not a religious person, wouldn't you? I mostly really dislike religion. I think many religious people are phony and fakes and charlatans. And I truly dislike fakes and liars, and I very much dislike judgmental people in the churches. I also think that people who look down their noses at anyone are just plain ignorant. I really try not to pretend. Mostly I don't have to. It's all good.

But all the while not going to church, I did pray. I also did read the Bible. And I did talk to God. But I didn't go to church. (There really are so very few churches that have anything to offer, and even fewer that have God in them. So why would I want to go? I wanted a relationship with God not some **************--should I be more respectful? Probably....not some person who didn't even know God but pretended.) Actually, I was a bit surprised, but it makes a lot of sense, to see that there are a number of "pastors" who don't believe in God. That is so incredible to me. Someone who is supposed to be a leader in a church--not believe in God? It is beyond my understanding. How pitiful.

The whole issue, which you cannot understand at this point in your thinking, is that God is willing to be a friend. He will answer people. He will give people what they want. They just need to get right with Him and ask. That's pretty much all you have to do.

You really can't say, "Who knows?" to me because I have told you what I did. I called on God, and He answered. So is it fair for you to call me a liar when you don't even know me that way? I do know. At least you could say, "I don't know." But you can't say "Who knows?" because I do. And I have told you I do.

You ask me to tell you something that will convince you that God works in my life. I can tell you many more miracles that have happened in my life, but since you don't believe the basics, how can you believe the miracles? And there comes a time that a doubting Thomas (that's the term religion gives to you) will be pushed over the line with miracles, and s/he won't go that far. Then not understanding, they quit listening and walk away thinking "That's impossible. That's absurd." So do I want to overtax your ability to comprehend God? That isn't a good idea, do you think? Besides, nothing is impossible with God when a person of faith is asking and believes it.

Well, this has been a 20 hour day so far, and I'm pretty tired. But I should say I enjoy the freshness of your curiosity rather than the rankness of some people's rejection. Thanks. You're a breath of fresh air at this point. :thumbsup:

I wonder though--how long can you keep going? Few folks who walk away (or don't turn in the first place) can wrap their minds around God being real. It is just too big of a leap for them to grasp the golden ring. It is just too amazing to believe. But that's what Amazing Grace is about--so Amazing.

God bless you. Have a good night.

Upvote 0

Umaro

Senior Veteran
Dec 22, 2006
✟13,505.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Not to be a jerk, but it feels sort of like fair game at this point. The religious side of things is constantly sending out messages about how bad premarital sex is(despite 90+% of the last 3 generations at least doing it), or how bad homosexual sex is, etc, so it seems only natural that an oppositing identity would be created. Until they stop telling me how bad sex is, I'm going to continue to laugh at people like this:

Awkward first kiss of virgin newlyweds - TV show, Virgin Diaries - YouTube

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,509.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Not to be a jerk, but it feels sort of like fair game at this point. The religious side of things is constantly sending out messages about how bad premarital sex is(despite 90+% of the last 3 generations at least doing it), or how bad homosexual sex is, etc, so it seems only natural that an oppositing identity would be created. Until they stop telling me how bad sex is, I'm going to continue to laugh at people like this:

Awkward first kiss of virgin newlyweds - TV show, Virgin Diaries - YouTube
As tragestically (my own mix of "tragedy" and "magestically") awful as that kiss was;

1) It's only gonna get better for them.

2) They'll have a lot of time to practice to get it right.

But yeah...beyond cringeworthy.

Upvote 0

Larry Mondello

Frequent poster
Dec 3, 2011
Mayfield, USA
Visit site
✟15,934.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am not a religious person. In fact, for a long time, I didn't go to church--years. I'd consider that type of person not a religious person, wouldn't you? I mostly really dislike religion. I think many religious people are phony and fakes and charlatans. And I truly dislike fakes and liars, and I very much dislike judgmental people in the churches. I also think that people who look down their noses at anyone are just plain ignorant.

But all the while not going to church, I did pray. I also did read the Bible. And I did talk to God. But I didn't go to church.
This sounds like I was. Didn't go to church much during my late 20s, though I still held my beliefs.

You've stated your views here well.

My DH, for many years, didn't believe that God answers prayers for things that are not necessary--not a crisis. So I would ask, "Please God, let this bull sell for at least $2,000." DH says, "That really stupid. God does not answer those kinds of prayers." And the bull does sell for that. He says, "That was lucky." I laugh. This happened enough times that he (a "man's man" I'm told by a neighbor) stopped saying it. I prayed, "Please God, let this cow have a super good calf. And she does." By the end of a few years, it became apparent that I had something, some in, with God (or somebody). He got quiet. He stopped saying anything. And then he started to say I was a witch or devil worshiper that I could make things happen.

It is also interesting to read your husband's reaction.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Which guy that I was with?

I meant your husband. I should've said that instead of "..the guy you were with." I couldn't remember whether you'd said you'd gotten married, and I was just before logging off the computer at work to go home for the evening, so I didn't have time to double-check your relationship status. Sorry about that.

What specifically leads me to believe it was God is that it is. I doubt it would make sense to you since you've already decided to set your mind to believing what you think you know so it becomes a conundrum to you. (I am a bit surprised however at your questions. Most people, when confronted with a conundrum, just quit and throw up their hands. You seem genuinely interested. Interesting.)

I am genuinely interested. Reason being, I hear this type of story all the time, yet no one can point to a specific thing that god did. I hear all the time how god speaks to this person or that, tells them things, helps them in situations, etc etc. But when asked specifically what god told them/did, I can never get a real answer. So if someone can't point to a specific instance of god's hand, I wonder how they can be so sure god did anything at all.

However, I pray about things all the time. My DH, for many years, didn't believe that God answers prayers for things that are not necessary--not a crisis. So I would ask, "Please God, let this bull sell for at least $2,000." DH says, "That really stupid. God does not answer those kinds of prayers." And the bull does sell for that. He says, "That was lucky." I laugh. This happened enough times that he (a "man's man" I'm told by a neighbor) stopped saying it. I prayed, "Please God, let this cow have a super good calf. And she does." By the end of a few years, it became apparent that I had something, some in, with God (or somebody). He got quiet. He stopped saying anything. And then he started to say I was a witch or devil worshiper that I could make things happen. I told him that he could call God a devil, but that was not a good choice on his part. I also said that, if it was the devil, he'd better walk pretty lightly because the devil was not going to tolerate his insubordination. He decided that I was getting through somehow to someone, and he'd better let it be. In fact, once he even asked me to pray. My DH has come to the point that he doesn't say to me anymore, "God doesn't care about those little things" because he sees God answers my prayers. He doesn't understand, and he still occasionally makes comments about it. For a while, he just kept his mouth shut--a while as in a couple of years. But now, he prays with me (very, very skeptically) and on occasion and prays with me that things will happen--well he let's me pray and then says he agrees with me that we are both asking for the same thing. And things happen. God answers prayer.

This... I have problems with. Again, without meaning any disrespect, allow me to explain. "Oh no, I've lost my car keys!" <insert prayer> "Oh, thank goodness I wasn't late for work this morning! I lost my car keys and prayed about it, and god showed me where they were! GOD IS GREAT!"

This is ego, in my opinion. Why, with the MILLIONS who suffer from issues (you know, those with real problems - no shelter, food, disease, etc) much more important than lost car keys or trying to sell cattle, does god allegedly answer such trivial requests when there are obviously much more pressing matters that should be handled that go seemingly unnoticed? No, I just don't believe, even if there were a benevolent god, that cattle sale prices would take precedence over people who need actual help.

The whole issue, which you cannot understand at this point in your thinking, is that God is willing to be a friend. He will answer people. He will give people what they want. They just need to get right with Him and ask. That's pretty much all you have to do.

Tell that to the people who are suffering, never having prayer one answered.

You really can't say, "Who knows?" to me because I have told you what I did. I called on God, and He answered. So is it fair for you to call me a liar when you don't even know me that way? I do know. At least you could say, "I don't know." But you can't say "Who knows?" because I do. And I have told you I do.

I certainly didn't call you a liar. But I also do not think there is a real god. I simply think you are mistaken.

You ask me to tell you something that will convince you that God works in my life. I can tell you many more miracles that have happened in my life, but since you don't believe the basics, how can you believe the miracles? And there comes a time that a doubting Thomas (that's the term religion gives to you) will be pushed over the line with miracles, and s/he won't go that far. Then not understanding, they quit listening and walk away thinking "That's impossible. That's absurd." So do I want to overtax your ability to comprehend God? That isn't a good idea, do you think? Besides, nothing is impossible with God when a person of faith is asking and believes it.

Tell me something specific that can only be chalked up to god. I've never heard one story from anyone concerning miracles or whatnot that couldn't be explained some other way. This is one major reason I remain unconvinced of god's existence.

Well, this has been a 20 hour day so far, and I'm pretty tired. But I should say I enjoy the freshness of your curiosity rather than the rankness of some people's rejection. Thanks. You're a breath of fresh air at this point. :thumbsup:

Well, like I said before, I am genuinely interested.

God bless you. Have a good night.

You as well. :)

Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
As tragestically (my own mix of "tragedy" and "magestically") awful as that kiss was;

1) It's only gonna get better for them.

2) They'll have a lot of time to practice to get it right.

But yeah...beyond cringeworthy.

That's assuming they are sexually compatible and don't end up getting divorced.

Upvote 0

GryffinSong

open-minded skeptic
May 7, 2007
✟8,739.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
...So is it fair for you to call me a liar when you don't even know me that way? I do know. At least you could say, "I don't know." But you can't say "Who knows?" because I do. And I have told you I do....

I doubt that very many people would call you a liar. But many of us will assert that you're interpreting events based on your assumptions. You believe in god, so you attribute good things to him. I know tons of people who have good luck, or good results from hard work, who don't pray for them. Likewise, I know of many people who love god, pray to him, and have the worst luck in the world. You're assuming cause and effect, when there's no evidence that this is the case.

Look, I have no investment in popping your bubble. If you're happy, I think that's great. Just don't expect us all to be blown away by your results. I think most of us are happy that things are working out for you, but I see absolutely no reason to attribute that success to the workings of a god. Like selfinflikted said, there are many people with far worse problems who aren't getting any results, and they are genuine in their love of god and their prayer.

Regardless of how it happened, I'm glad things are working out for you and your husband. :groupray:

Upvote 0

Isambard

Nihilist Extrodinaire
Jul 11, 2007
✟12,789.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That's always been my main argument against waiting til' after marriage. Bad sexual chemistry with someone can be just as toxic to the relationship as a lack of communication, trust issues, cheating etc. I would say its much harder to fix assuming it can even be fixed.

Upvote 0

Larry Mondello

Frequent poster
Dec 3, 2011
Mayfield, USA
Visit site
✟15,934.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jase,
Methinks fears of virgins not being compatible are overblown.

Agree not everyone is sexually compatible, but if two really love each other, they can generally work things out. The key is patience, in anything really, not just sex.

The one who has had sex, she should be understanding and patient with her love. The virgin shouldn't think any less of the other.
If they're both virgins, then there's no "baggage" to worry about nor any fear that one might think he/she won't "perform" as well as a previous lover. They can learn together.

On one board, there's a mid-20s virgin engaged woman who has been visiting a marriage and sexual therapist to help make her wedding night sex special.
She posted she once thought of her future fiance as "damaged goods" and realizes that negative thinking harmed their relationship.
http://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365620&p=4590834&viewfull=1#post4590834

She also posted how she found guys "respected" her, especially the football players and "popular" ones in HS and college, the types (unlike me) who had women throwing themselves at them, and took advantage of many sexual opportunities.
She posted those guys confided to her how it was refreshing to date a woman who wouldn't give-in so easily.
That's the kind of thing I was posting about earlier.

That woman, BTW, is an Ivy League college instructor.

No, I didn't get to experience a magical wedding night, but have enjoyed special feelings when my future wife & I first ML.

Have read stories of first nights. For some, it's great. For others, it took them several times, maybe many times, until the guy really entered.
That's one reason women should see a gyno before having sex.

Could post a link to one of the threads, but in that marital sex improvement site, that subforum may only be visible to registered users.
May cut-and-paste some quotes from it.

Don't anyone here think I'm throwing rocks at those who have had sex outside of marriage. That's not my intention and I'm not sayin' those of you that do are going to hell or anything.
Interestingly, in the that thread, about half of Christian couples reported having sex with their spouses before marriage. So if you press people, you'll find many, even professing evangelical Christians, have had sex before marriage. No one's perfect.

Single guys like you, Jase, shouldn't worry so much about "compatability" and focus more no finding a loving relationship.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jase

Feb 20, 2003
✟10,432.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Democrat
Jase,
Methinks fears of virgins not being compatible are overblown.

Agree not everyone is sexually compatible, but if two really love each other, they can generally work things out. The key is patience, in anything really, not just sex.
Perhaps they are merely overblown because 90% of couples (including Christian) do not wait until marriage to have sex with their future spouse, meaning they already know they are compatible before marriage. If hypothetically speaking, pre-marital sex were illegal, I think we might see compatibility issues being more common.

She also posted how she found guys "respected" her, especially the football players and "popular" ones in HS and college, the types (unlike me) who had women throwing themselves at them, and took advantage of many sexual opportunities.
She posted those guys confided to her how it was refreshing to date a woman who wouldn't give-in so easily.
That's the kind of thing I was posting about earlier.
I think female virgins are generally more tolerated than male. Another one of our lovely patriarchal double standards.

Don't anyone here think I'm throwing rocks at those who have had sex outside of marriage. That's not my intention and I'm not sayin' those of you that do are going to hell or anything.
Interestingly, in the that thread, about half of Christian couples reported having sex with their spouses before marriage. So if you press people, you'll find many, even professing evangelical Christians, have had sex before marriage. No one's perfect.
Well, considering evangelicals/conservatives generally have the highest statistics of numerous "sin" categories (teen pregnancy, divorce, inappropriate content viewing, obesity, etc.) that doesn't particularly surprise me. It's a fairly obvious correlation that the more one fights against something from an arrogant, holier-than-thou position, the more likely they are to engage in it themselves.

Single guys like you, Jase, shouldn't worry so much about "compatability" and focus more no finding a loving relationship.
Well, I don't see finding a relationship happening any time soon at the rate I'm going, and marriage is not an option, so compatibility before marriage isn't really a personal concern right now. I'm merely speaking to an issue I have with theology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1Prophetess

Jan 17, 2010
California USA
✟17,661.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
...I am genuinely interested. Reason being, I hear this type of story all the time, yet no one can point to a specific thing that god did.

...Why, with the MILLIONS who suffer from issues (you know, those with real problems - no shelter, food, disease, etc) much more important than lost car keys or trying to sell cattle, does god allegedly answer such trivial requests when there are obviously much more pressing matters that should be handled that go seemingly unnoticed? No, I just don't believe, even if there were a benevolent god, that cattle sale prices would take precedence over people who need actual help.

Tell that to the people who are suffering, never having prayer one answered.

...Tell me something specific that can only be chalked up to god. I've never heard one story from anyone concerning miracles or whatnot that couldn't be explained some other way. This is one major reason I remain unconvinced of god's existence.

Well, like I said before, I am genuinely interested.

I'm going to try, but, what I say is meant in kindness and not meanness (which character trait I've been assigned by at least one person on this thread). I will give you an example of something that happened to me. However, you seem to want to disbelieve. So I feel reticent to tell you anything. I have stories and stories I can tell you, but if you refuse to accept any one as a miracle, then you've already closed your mind (though I might add, very politely and respectfully).

Before this particular instance, I want to say that "MILLIONS who suffer" cannot be an issue that you throw against The Creator. Most don't understand why. They reason, "1) benevolent means kind, treating others with kindness; 2) if there is a god, why is there suffering? 3) If there is a god that is omnipotent, s/he wouldn't let people suffer. 4) Therefore, the only conclusion--there is no god." And they reject god in any form.

Most people walk away at this point. We (being limited in our thinking) reject what we don't understand. That seems logical to me. I actually haven't studied it (so would be untrained), but I love logic. It works for me.

So I'm going to digress a bit here to build a thinking pattern that I believe is common. If it is not correct, help me out by correcting me.

Step One: I discuss the attributes of God with others. People say God is good. God is great. God is love. So I began to think about God. I think about god in my frame of reference which is, by the way, the only way a person can think without great effort (and I believe help from God). I concude that it would make sense that God is these things since I hear it all the time. But I don't want to "just believe" like a lemming, so it only makes sense that I test the god. I believe that "good" means intends pleasantries. I believe that "great" means the best. I believe that "love" means sex. So my interpretation of God (using their definitions) is that god gives incredible sexual pleasure. Now I'm not sure if it will hit me alone or if god will bring someone in my life to give that to me. I definitely know I'm not omniscient. So I say, "Hit me god! Give me some of that sex that is so wonderful!" ....[time passes] Nothing happens. No partner shows up. I go and look for a partner, but there isn't a single one that I meet that gives me that incredible sex that I believe people have helped me conclude that God gives. I might get good maybe, but it is not a god send. After a while, I say, "Hey, God. Did you hear me? This is the second time I'm asking, and I'm starting to not believe you're even there. Show me your power if you even do exist (which, like I said, I am starting to not believe you are). I want some of that great sex you offer. Can you rain some of that down on me?" ...[time passes] Nothing happens. This cycle may be repeated a number of times until I conclude one of two things. 1) God doesn't hear me (and may be s/he doesn't hear anyone) or 2) God doesn't like me (which seems impossible since I'm no worse than any other person, so this can't be true.) So logically, God doesn't exist.

Although this might not be your "logical" thinking, it is the way my mind processes logic. I believe, if it is, it is for me. Obviously, I'm not Michael Jordan (I can put a basketball in to a hoop, but I can't do it like he does it.) But it is for me in the sense that I am capable of doing it. (I'm not going into the argument that some can't. That's an entire different argument.) So we admit that most people can put a basketball into a hoop at least once. Therefore, if I'm an average Joe, then it makes sense I should be able to talk to God if s/he existed. After all, it wouldn't make sense that god excluded me. (There are arguments why I wouldn't be excluded which I won't digress into at this point (unless you wish), but I hope you are following me so far.)

So it makes sense, logically, that if the former doesn't work, and if I am an average person with average talents and abilities, that there is no god. S/he didn't answer.

Step Two. I see people still saying there is a god. This is absurd. I've tried god, and s/he doesn't answer. If there was a god, why wouldn't s/he answer me? There is no god.

So I come to the conclusion that these people are either illogical or creating their own worlds. (Are they actually a step aside from reality? Doesn't mind science (psychology) have a name for this?)

But I am intelligent enough that I am willing to hear another viewpoint. So when I find someone who says they "experience" god, I am willing to ask and listen at least skeptically. Now mind you, I don't believe in god. So I'm already prejudiced against their arguments and what they say. My argument is: If this could happen in the natural world, then it could be not from god. Logical isn't it?

Okay we've established logic. Now this is truly logic. This makes sense to everyone. I might not have established all the points I needed to, but I think my conclusions are accurate.

Step Three: I've concluded there is no god. Those who believe in "God" are wrong. They are either insane, partially insane, have mental issues, or they attribute things to God that happen naturally in the world. There is no god. When they give me a for instance, they always give me things that could happen naturally. So if it could happen naturally, it did. If it couldn't (like the Red Sea parting which I didn't see so don't believe), then I would believe it. But what I don't see, I don't believe. If it could happen naturally, it did. If not, I have to see it to believe it.

Are we together so far?

Upvote 0

sandwiches

Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.
Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
is life without. I know from experience that life without God is horrible! Horrible!
No. It isn't.

I was meant to be a God-child. I can be nothing else.

I've been without God. And it sucks!
Sounds like you had some problems.

But with God, there is everything I want.
So, you don't work, pay bills, feed your children, fill up your car, etc?

Having known enough Mensans, I know about reason that doesn't include God. I can't imagine not including God in that equation. I couldn't throughout any of their banal arguments. I can't imagine how anyone can not see God in everything. I can't imagine it.
I used to be the same way. It took for me to realize AND admit that was lying to myself and to God, if he existed.

I do not see God as vengeful at all. Some may as they look at God from the outside looking in. I do not from the inside looking out. God is my wonderful, priceless, great God and full time companion. I can call on Him at any time for answers and help. It is so wonderful.
He killed babies, children, elderly, and even animals in a flood, he commanded razing and pillaging of cities, he created the conditions that would cause humans to fail and then created eternal punishment. Yea, he's pretty vengeful.

I am the author of my own fate inside God's plan. I create my life inside God's plan (and sometimes, when I fall out, I create it too.) God is so wonderful, I really could not stand to live without Him.
Yea, you've said that.

But then, without Him, I would be afraid not to live. So I'd have to live and claim it was good because it would be the best I could do. But there is so, so much more with God.
Yea? Like what?

By His Word, I created the life I wanted and it has most of every thing I want in it. By His word, I am obedient because I adore Him.

I can't imagine life without God. I would be so lonesome, so sad, so depressed, so anxious, so ugly, so fearful, so angry, so resentful, so bitter, soooo dead. I couldn't live without God in my life.
I feel sorry for you. Seems there might be deeper issues you may have to work through, as I am none of those things.

I can't imagine how you do it. Truly, I can't imagine it. But I remember what it is like, and I can only say that I would never, never, never, never go back to where you are. NEVER!
Really? You wouldn't want to be happy, ambitious, curious, self-fulfilled, fearless of an invisible boss man, without cognitive dissonance? Bizarre.

I love God in my life, and I intend to do whatever I can to keep Him there. He is perfect love, perfect in everything.

He is wonderful. And I love every minute that I walk with Him, even ever second. It is too great to explain or compare. He is wonderful to me! I could never try any other way. The ones I tried were way too painful and lonely. I hate pain. I hate lonliness!
I think we might be getting to the root of one problem here.

I can't live without God in my life. I truly don't know how you do it.
Now I'm starting to feel like a super human. =P
I put my pants on both legs at a time in a summersault, just like everybody else.

Upvote 0

ryeaber

lurker - student of logic
Sep 28, 2011
✟15,230.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Are we together so far?

In step one, you&#8217;re saying that people may not believe because they prayed and didn&#8217;t get what they were praying for.

In step two, you&#8217;re saying that people may not believe because logic says that if it could happen naturally, then there&#8217;s no reason to presume divine intervention.

In step three, you&#8217;re saying that people may not believe because logic says that if it could happen naturally then it probably did.

If the above is what your post boils down to, how is any of that illogical, or lead one to an incorrect conclusion? Were you trying to show how logical thinking would lead one to believe that there is no God? Or did I miss what you were trying to say?

I didn&#8217;t include any of the stuff about how atheists think that theists are crazy or have mental issues, because I think that probably doesn&#8217;t apply to all (or even most) atheists &#8211; at least not to the extent that a word like &#8220;insane&#8221; would apply.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Larry Mondello

Frequent poster
Dec 3, 2011
Mayfield, USA
Visit site
✟15,934.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I didn&#8217;t include any of the stuff about how atheists think that theists are crazy or have mental issues, because I think that probably doesn&#8217;t apply to all (or even most) atheists &#8211; at least not to the extent that a word like &#8220;insane&#8221; would apply.
Good.
That slur -- often heard from atheists -- isn't true and highly inflammatory.

Funny. I never considered atheists crazy, insane, ignorant or any other loaded term -- the kind of words some atheists don't seem hesitant to use against theists.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ryeaber

lurker - student of logic
Sep 28, 2011
✟15,230.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Good.

Funny. I never considered atheists crazy, insane, ignorant or any other loaded term -- the kind of words some atheists don't seem hesitant to use against theists.

What's funny is that I had edited my post to remove that line, because I didn't want to go there again, especially since some of my previous posts could be construed as having that opinion. I re-added it though, so people would know what you're referring to. I agree though (which is why I wrote it in the first place).

Upvote 0

Larry Mondello

Frequent poster
Dec 3, 2011
Mayfield, USA
Visit site
✟15,934.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What's funny is that I had edited my post to remove that line, because I didn't want to go there again, especially since some of my previous posts could be construed as having that opinion. I re-added it though, so people would know what you're referring to. I agree though (which is why I wrote it in the first place).
As I posted, saw you had edited that out, so removed your quotes.
The "generic" quote seems okay.

Good you as an atheist don't feel that way.

Upvote 0

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
A lot of people question the mental competance of others for a variety of reasons. Specifying one instance sounds more like personal anecdote rather than some sort of overarching commentary on behavior of specific people. I tend to find people mock motivations for one's virginity more so than virginity itself. I usually see it as an specific type of expression of demanding comformity.

Upvote 0

1Prophetess

Jan 17, 2010
California USA
✟17,661.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
...If the above is what your post boils down to, how is any of that illogical, or lead one to an incorrect conclusion? Were you trying to show how logical thinking would lead one to believe that there is no God? Or did I miss what you were trying to say?

Excellent. We have one person who understands logic. So it appears you agree--what I have said so far is logical. Good. I needed confirmation that I was on the right track in logical thinking because this is not my expertise. Thank you, and thank you for your simple question.

Then I can go on with the rest of what I have to say since I have, so far, been logical.

However, I don't intend to respond to all the others' queries--at least not at this time. I was discussing this with selfinflikted. When he is ready and in agreement that what I've said so far is logical, I will proceed. I'm not going to argue shotgun fashion. I like selfinflikted because he is polite and not condesending.

So when you are ready selfinflikted, let me know.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,665.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Good.

There are jerks in any group.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.