Why is there a dislike of Traditional Theology?

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟936,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As I read some posts in the other thread disrespecting Bishops, a position delineated in the Bible, I could not help thinking of Ghandi's quote, “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” Some comments seemed to go well beyond "dislike" of traditional theology.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As I read some posts in the other thread disrespecting Bishops, a position delineated in the Bible, I could not help thinking of Ghandi's quote, “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” Some comments seemed to go well beyond "dislike" of traditional theology.
I can understand it in a certain way because I used to dislike traditions as something that was oppressive and ruining our relationship with Jesus but I tried to be civil when talking to others.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Wasn't it Chesterton who spoke of the democracy of the dead vs. the oligarchy of the living? I suspect that might be relevant to the discussion.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, and probably holding a more fundamentalist view of Christianity.

That word "fundamentalist" is either purely pejorative, or it has its historical meaning, referring to people who believe in things like the Resurrection and the Virgin Birth. Which way were you using it?

Because it seems to me that on the first option you were being rude, and on the second you were casting doubt on core shared doctrines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some comments seemed to go well beyond "dislike" of traditional theology.

Threads that begin with a subtext of "my denomination is so much better than all the others" almost always wind up getting locked.

I wonder why that is?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think modern individualism has a lot to do with the indifference and opposition to orthodox doctrines. Instead of looking at what the Church has taught for 2000 years, many in our day have a habit of flipping up their Bible and go: "Hmmmm. What does this verse mean to me?" *Ignores the context*

Are we sure which method is God's prefered method?

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Are we sure which method is God's prefered method?

I argue yes. Scripture interprets Scripture. Let me show you a couple of practice example of what I mean:

I've heard quite a few poor exegeses, such as Ezekiel 37, the Valley of the Dry Bones, where the pastor or speaker says something to the effect of: "Do you ever feel like dry bones? Have you ever been in a dry season in your life?" Questions like these have nothing to do with the text. We can know this for certain because the text quite literally offers its own interpretation on the same page.

Or take Jeremiah 29:11, for example. "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." A beautiful promise, but the application is not for us directly in terms of material blessings. It's a historical narrative and was a promise of a restoration to Israel, which ultimately culminated in Christ, where all things are restored. It's about the freedom we have in Christ. We are no longer under the Law, bound by sin, death and hell. It's about the person and works of Christ.

My point is, it's very common practice in our day to read the Bible and pull out odd verses and make them into universal applications for ourselves. This is a kind of eisegesis - which is bringing something external into the text that doesn't belong; it's reading Scriptures with the mind of what's going on in my life, as opposed to reading it in its natural immediate context, whereby we find that all Scriptures point to Christ. So when we read Scriptures, we know that it is about Christ, not ourselves. Yet, through Christ, then we get the application. But this application is often very different from what is commonly preached in our day. It's not about pursuing our dreams and overcoming everything that stands in our way to that end, but rather about the forgiveness of sins and doing the good works that God has laid before us; love for God and love for neighbour.

There's a lot I'd like to say about this, but if I had to sum it up, I'd say - If we read Bible in a Christological way, it's read in the right way. If we don't, we're likely to be off on strange tangents.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That word "fundamentalist" is either purely pejorative, or it has its historical meaning, referring to people who believe in things like the Resurrection and the Virgin Birth. Which way were you using it?

Because it seems to me that on the first option you were being rude, and on the second you were casting doubt on core shared doctrines.
Do you come here to complain about stuff?
Something part of traditional theology is considering Mary the Mother of God.

And not everyone considers "fundamentalism" a pejorative nor it is allowed in CF to deny the Resurrection nor the Virgin Birth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Apathy and the thought process that "it does not matter, just my relationship to Jesus matters". At least that is the opinion of some people I know, my wife being one. She is happy to attend and go along, but she is not going to do any study of other beliefs or Christian History, much less read anything from the Apostolic Fathers.

This is where the error is made. Those with a thirst for theology and bible study are often seeing their spiritual gifts at work. That’s where it comes from. The hunger and desire are borne of God.

You will have a greater interest doing those things than most. To assume everyone should behave the same is wrong. Its no different from the intercessor who spends hours praying and bemoans those who don’t. That’s unrealistic and so is this.

I don’t read those things. I’ve learned to pay attention to my disinterest and find the reason why. Truth be told, it doesn’t stir my spirit to the degree where I’d want to burrow myself in a book. And it isn’t the first subject or title that I reach for either.

Some turn outward for direction and encouragement or look to others instead. But I call the Doctor. Only He can help me navigate my situation here and now. I’m looking for a specific word for the challenge I’m facing.

While I value what I’ve found at the synagogue and appreciate all I’ve learned and yet to know. I lean on Paul’s words. And that’s Jesus Christ and His resurrection. My faith doesn’t rest on the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. That’s my anchor; it’s all.

I’ve built a storehouse of knowledge regarding religion. But that isn’t where God wants me. I focus on what He’s asked of me and built a lifestyle around its accomplishment from the ground up.

It has all my focus and whatever you devote your attention to will grow. That’s why I’m thriving. But that’s a gift in action as well. ;-)

Then there’s sanctification of course. His path for you won’t look like mine. It was custom designed for your person. As is true for everyone. For some, that’s tradition. For others its something else.

To suggest that those who aren’t walking along your road are misguided or lacking spiritual maturity is errant. If He wanted them there He’d send them. And what you’re really saying has less to do with them and everything to do with God.

If God wanted a singular Christian entity we’d have it. He permitted other options and knows how to guide people through the labyrinth to its exit.

I’m holding onto Him. You don’t know what’s around the bend. And you don’t have all the answers. You’ve got a smidgen. But He wrote the book.

I will never follow a tradition. But I’m glad they exist for those who will. :)

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is where the error is made. Those with a thirst for theology and bible study are often seeing their spiritual gifts at work. That’s where it comes from. The hunger and desire are borne of God.

You will have a greater interest doing those things than most. To assume everyone should behave the same is wrong. Its no different from the intercessor who spends hours praying and bemoans those who don’t. That’s unrealistic and so is this.

I think you are reading into my statement to something that is not there, at least in my case. Being apathetic about something does not necessarily mean that she is in the wrong, or I wish she were another way. It simply means she is not interested in that aspect - which is OK. I certainly do not bemoan her feelings or interests nor believe she is in error.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think you are reading into my statement to something that is not there, at least in my case. Being apathetic about something does not necessarily mean that she is in the wrong, or I wish she were another way. It simply means she is not interested in that aspect - which is OK. I certainly do not bemoan her feelings or interests nor believe she is in error.

It wasn’t addressed to you personally. That’s a generic you. :)

But this does happen a lot and many are told there’s something wrong if they aren’t doing the same.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It wasn’t addressed to you personally. That’s a generic you. :)

But this does happen a lot and many are told there’s something wrong if they aren’t doing the same.
Ah, my mistake - since you were quoting my post I figured it was directed at me. But I know what you mean in that case and would agree.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ah, my mistake - since you were quoting my post I figured it was directed at me. But I know what you mean in that case and would agree.

Sorry Steve. Your post reminded me of something I read. He cautioned believers to recognize the ease we feel regarding spiritual matters may be gifts operating unbeknownst.

Although its probable you’re operating in gifts too. ;-)

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I will never follow a tradition
Without Sacred Tradition, you have no way of knowing what Sacred Scripture even is. The authority of the Church Fathers is how we can recognize writings inspired by God from other types of writings. Without their authority, it would be impossible to know which ancient writings were inspired and which ones were not.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Without Sacred Tradition, you have no way of knowing what Sacred Scripture even is. The authority of the Church Fathers is how we can recognize writings inspired by God from other types of writings. Without their authority, it would be impossible to know which ancient writings were inspired and which ones were not.

I came to faith in a Jewish synagogue. I didn’t require tradition or the church fathers. Just the Holy Spirit. And He’s kept me since that point.

I don’t bemoan anyone’s approach to God. But to say my faith is influenced by the things you’ve said is wholly false.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I came to faith in a Jewish synagogue. I didn’t require tradition or the church fathers. Just the Holy Spirit. And He’s kept me since that point.

I don’t bemoan anyone’s approach to God. But to say my faith is influenced by the things you’ve said is wholly false.
Nice deflection.

The Holy Spirit can lead people to faith. Right doctrine, however, is something else.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nice deflection.

The Holy Spirit can lead people to faith. Right doctrine, however, is something else.

That wasn’t a deflection. If it didn’t corroborate your perspective that isn’t my fault.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That wasn’t a deflection. If it didn’t corroborate your perspective that isn’t my fault.
Your post was borderline off-topic. It had nothing at all to do with my this discussion or my point. So let's try again.

Upvote 0