Why is there a correlation between understanding evolution and accepting it as valid science?

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
In my opinion String Theory, The Anthropic Principle, The Cyclic Model of the Universe, The Law of Probability all prove that the first Intelligent life form would originate in fundamental or nearly fundamental energy....... .not in four dimensional space time where electromagnetism, gravity, weak and strong nuclear force are all separated from each other.

Where did Intelligence begin, in matter or fundamental energy?

www.CarbonBias.blogspot.ca/

This literally has nothing to do with biology either.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Of the evolutionary biologists, Richard Dawkins is the big one. Jerry Coyne is another. Those are the only two names that spring to mind at the moment, though I don't know any evolutionary biologist who is as large a name as Dawkins. (Daniel Dennett, while not a biologist himself, could count as another who likes to use evolutionary theory to argue for atheistic conclusions.)

Ken Miller is a rather famous one.
Francis Collins (who lead the human genome project) is another.

But both are devout christians. :p

In physics, things get wild as well. Laurence Krauss is the most radical anti-theistic polemicist I can think of, but Sean Carroll tends in a similar direction. Then there are figures like Neil deGrasse Tyson and the late Stephen Hawking who are not quite anti-theists but should probably be a bit more cautious about mixing science and anti-religion in the public sphere.

Why would they need to be cautious? They are just responding to creationist claims butting into their scientific work.

I would definitely consider Dawkins an anti-theist rather than an atheist. His agenda is very obvious, since he's basically built a career out of it.

So what?

Do you think Dawkins' opinions on religion, or indeed anyone's opinions, have any kind of relevancy to the science of biology?

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If evolution is as false as creationists claim it is, wouldn't understanding it lead to its rejection, not its acceptance?

Ref: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...tand-evolution-are-more-likely-to-accept-it1/

Not at all. It is not that simple.
Evolution is a scientific conclusion. All its studies are scientific. So, only look at these studies, no one would reject anything.
The problem lies on the larger part of evolution, which is NOT addressed by science. There are too many of them. If the question on evolution is black, and the science of evolution is white, then the color of evolution is deep gray.

• Winner
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK that makes 2 biologists.
Dawkins, Coyne, and Myers are all biologists, at least by training. Coyne is easily the most significant of the three as a working biologist. Dawkins hasn't been a working scientist for decades -- he's been a popularizer of science -- and Myers is well known because he's a blogger, not because he does much (or any, these days) research in evolution.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ken Miller is a rather famous one.
Francis Collins (who lead the human genome project) is another.

But both are devout christians. :p

Why would they need to be cautious? They are just responding to creationist claims butting into their scientific work.

So what?

Do you think Dawkins' opinions on religion, or indeed anyone's opinions, have any kind of relevancy to the science of biology?

Dawkins is definetly more in the public eye than someone like say...Ken Miller. Dawkins has a larger selection of more popular books. He's probably been on more TV programs as well.

The atheist movement is without question, more vocal than Christian's are in the scientific realm. While science is not atheistic, most popular scientists are atheists. Carl Sagan, Stephen Hawkins, Neil Tyson etc.

It just so happens that both Christian and atheist scientists support the theory of evolution, so when one party is more vocal, it gives Christian's who aren't familiar with scientists like those of biologos, the impression that evolution is an atheistic concept.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Dawkins is definetly more in the public eye than someone like say...Ken Miller. Dawkins has a larger selection of more popular books. He's probably been on more TV programs as well.

True. Likely, I only know about Miller because I actually enjoy science and actively seek information. That's how I ended up finding him.

While indeed, Dawkins is much more thrown in your face. In the sense that you'll likely hear about him, even if biology doesn't even interest you.

It just so happens that both Christian and atheist scientists support the theory of evolution, so when one party is more vocal, it gives Christian's who aren't familiar with scientists like those of biologos, the impression that evolution is an atheistic concept.

I get that. At the same time, I don't, considering the Vatican's stance on mainstream biology - and they are supposed to represent the bigger bulk of christians as well.

That's something I've always found to be quite curious. The pope himself is an "evolutionist". How are so little christians aware of this?

At the same time off course.... the most vocal / fundamentalist creationists, aren't catholics and in my experience, usually their opinion on catholics and the pope is.... well.... let's just say that they don't regard them as True Scottsmen. ;-)

O well....

In any case, I think the biggest point to be made here, is that science is not driven by opinions. So it doesn't matter what scientist's opinions are about religion and whatnot. What matters is the science, which doesn't care about opinions.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is simple a question of authority.

Is mans ideas etc the final authority or is the bible.
If it is the later then one cannot believe in evolution.

The "authority" in science, is the data. Not the scientist.

Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's just it^

Nobody ever woke up in the morning with random ideas of us evolving from fish. Rather the conclusion was derived from data.

For example, nobody just had a random idea about fish to tetrapod transitional fossils in the mid devonian. Rather, they simply exist. No opinion or random ideas of mankind can change what physically exists.

@Tolworth John @DogmaHunter

Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unfortunately for young earthers though, there is nothing in objective reality which verifies their young earth ideas. Their conclusions truly are, only existant in their imaginations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not at all. It is not that simple.
Evolution is a scientific conclusion. All its studies are scientific. So, only look at these studies, no one would reject anything.
The problem lies on the larger part of evolution, which is NOT addressed by science. There are too many of them. If the question on evolution is black, and the science of evolution is white, then the color of evolution is deep gray.

I agree. The big question for evolution is how it is even possible?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That's a question.

I asked for an example.

Anyway: a human is a primate and mammal belonging to the species of homo sapiens.

What is a cat?

Now what?

don't know. I don't have a goal in this argument.
Quit.

• Haha
Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I agree. The big question for evolution is how it is even possible?

Evolution is a monster. It attracts so many excellent scientists to study it. Yet there are tons of questions remain to be answered. In the field of science, it is not so bad. But for a great many of people who are not in the field of sciences, the consequence is disastrous. Evolution is the best deceiving scam I can ever see.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Er, that's not really a big question is it? We already know how it's possible.

It's difficult to correlate the finished product with the theoretical process, when you think about it.

Upvote 0