Why is the Rich-Man in Luke 16:24 calling out to Abraham?

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Read actual parables and then read this story. This doesn't sound anything like a parable, not to mention it is never called one and no parable ever has a person's actual name because parables are general things of truth with no specific people in them but this one is extremely specific. I believe the rich man and Lazarus were two very real people and two very real fates used to warn the rest of us.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Verse 22
[22] And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

And the beggar — Worn out with hunger, and pain, and want of all things, died: and was carried by angels (amazing change of the scene!) into Abraham's bosom - So the Jews styled paradise; the place where the souls of good men remain from death to the resurrection.

The rich man also died, and was buried — Doubtless with pomp enough, though we do not read of his lying in state; that stupid, senseless pageantry, that shocking insult on a poor, putrefying carcass, was reserved for our enlightened age!

https://www.christianity.com/bible/commentary.php?com=wes&b=42&c=16

NOT a parable...the Jewish belief!

Abraham's Busom = Paradise + Hades

Luke 23:43
And He said to him, “Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.”

Revelation 1:18
and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.

Reactions: Uncle Mikey
Upvote 0

Uncle Mikey

Declare all that thou seest.
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
✟10,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Try and look at it this way...

The Rich Man was so arrogant... so used to having his 'minions' tend to him... that he literally was commanding Abraham to 'send the servant boy Lazarus' to heed the Master's bidding.

Do you see it?

Even in death, the Rich Man still looked down at Lazarus as if he was nothing.

The audacity!

Upvote 0

Uncle Mikey

Declare all that thou seest.
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
✟10,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Luke 16...Jesus' SERMON

1. Lazarus dies and is carried into Abraham's bosom. By the phrase, Abraham's bosom, an allusion is made to the custom at Jewish feasts, when three persons reclining on their left elbows on a couch, the person whose head came near the breast of the other, was said to lie in his bosom. So it is said of the beloved disciple, John 13:25. Abraham's bosom was a phrase used among the Jews to signify the paradise of God. See Josephus's account of the Maccabees, chap. xiii.

https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/acc/luke-16.html

I believe 'Bosom' may hold an even deeper meaning...

Galatians 3:29
"And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise"

When the saved go to Abraham's Bosom, they are in a sense going inside of the Father to become Born Again as his 'Seed' via the Bride New Jerusalem.

New Jerusalem is Sarah.

Abraham and Sarah are who are getting married in the Book of Revelation when the Wedding Supper occurs.

The Lamb being the First Fruit...

Hebrews 2:16
"For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham"

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,708.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The reason I think it's obviously a parable is the use of Jewish tradition. It's like talking about getting to heaven and finding St Peter at the gate. When I say that I don't intend it to be taken literally. Do you actually think the condemned will look up and see Father Abraham?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Read actual parables and then read this story. This doesn't sound anything like a parable, not to mention it is never called one and no parable ever has a person's actual name because parables are general things of truth with no specific people in them but this one is extremely specific. I believe the rich man and Lazarus were two very real people and two very real fates used to warn the rest of us.
There are actually 4 persons mentioned.

Lazarus is only mentioned in Luke and John.........

Lazarus (YLT)
"lazarus" occurs 15 times in 15 verses in the YLT.

Lazarus symbolizing Death and Resurrection and Ascension of Jesus
Abraham " Faith/Life
Moses.............Law/Death
Rich Man...... OC Law and Mosaic Judaism

Lazarus and the Rich Man - Here a little, there a little - Commentary

Afterward, speaking primarily to his disciples but with the Pharisees (and probably the crowd) still listening in, Yeshua related the parable of the unjust steward (Luke 16:1-13). The Pharisees, who were "lovers of money" (Luke 16:14), realized that the Messiah was alluding to them with this parable and took offense. They scoffed at Yeshua. The final part of his response to the derision of the Pharisees and scribes was the parable of Lazarus and the rich man.

LUKE 16:
"Abraham said to him, 'They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.' "
"And he said, 'Nay! father Abraham;
but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'
But he said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.' "

Yeshua uses the last two verses of this parable as an amazing prophecy of his pending resurrection from the dead. The rich man says that although his brothers may not accept the scriptural evidence for the identity of the Messiah, they will accept the evidence of one who is raised from the dead.

Yeshua ends this parable abruptly, with no real resolution presented.

Is the "GEHENNA" of Matt 23:33 the "LAKE OF FIRE" in Revelation? Poll thread

LUKE 16:24
"Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue;
for I am tormented in this flame.' "

Matthew 23:33
'Serpents! brood of vipers!
how may ye escape from the judgment of the gehenna?

Last edited:
Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus was the only one who spoke of hell in such stark terms in the New Testament, always in a literal sense. Your not going to get a parable from the description of the Rich Man and Lazarus, because there is no figurative language. What is most startling about the description is that Jesus was privy to the conversation in the first place. It makes sense that he would cry out to the ancestor that was the Patriarch of the Jewish covenant, not unlike our Catholic and Orthodox brethren beseeching the saints. I just don't see a parable here, the Jewish concept of Sheol seems informative and certainly marks an important literary feature.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,708.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Your not going to get a parable from the description of the Rich Man and Lazarus, because there is no figurative language.
Really? You don't think the idea of looking up from hell to see Father Abraham is figurative? If I were going to tell a story like that I'd use St. Peter at the pearly gates. I certainly wouldn't intend that to be taken literally.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Really? You don't think the idea of looking up from hell to see Father Abraham is figurative? If I were going to tell a story like that I'd use St. Peter at the pearly gates. I certainly wouldn't intend that to be taken literally.
Your not Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟273,836.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Luke 16:24
And he shouting said--Father Abraham! be thou merciful to me! and send Lazarus!
that he should be dipping the tip of the finger of him of water, and should be cooling down the tongue of me,
--that I am being pained in this, the flame/phlox<5395>
My question is: where is the Rich Man?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
My question is: where is the Rich Man?
He is no where.
E.W.Bullinger and others showed perfectly that Jesus was just using the religious leaders own beliefs in a story to show them/ to embarrass them, that what they believed was false. It has often been mis-translated as if it was a parable or a real event, which then, if it was, would contradict much Scripture.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟273,836.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He is no where.
E.W.Bullinger and others showed perfectly that Jesus was just using the religious leaders own beliefs in a story to show them/ to embarrass them, that what they believed was false. It has often been mis-translated as if it was a parable or a real event, which then, if it was, would contradict much Scripture.
Too easy of a cop out.

Even if it is a parable....Where is he?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Too easy of a cop out.

Even if it is a parable....Where is he?
No cop out. I thought you meant if he had actually lived.
It's not a parable - it is unlike every other parable.

It was the unbelievers beliefs Jesus was using , not believers beliefs,
for the story, to show the unbelievers, those who wanted to kill Jesus,
they were wrong in their beliefs about things.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That was on purpose an example Jesus used from some Jewish beliefs/doctrines (not from Yahweh) of some of the Jewish group(s) that opposed Yahweh and that Jesus exposed (partly) with this example of the rich man and Lazarus. It didn't / doesn't actually 'happen'.

I think you inserted your own excuses. We all know he made that parable in where the character invoked a Saint because it has always been a practice even since Judaism. Protestant denominations who were born after the 16h century can make all the excuses they want.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I think you inserted your own excuses. We all know he made that parable in where the character invoked a Saint because it has always been a practice even since Judaism. Protestant denominations who were born after the 16h century can make all the excuses they want.
Sorry, you have entirely and utterly misinterpreted.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Evidently the Rich man is somewhere pretty hot. Where is he?
In the story, which is not a story for the followers of Jesus at all, but is a story for the sons of disobedience Jesus is talking to, he is in a make-believe-place some of the Jewish religious leaders deceived themselves and others about, Jewish religious leaders who were not believing Jesus. Jesus was showing the fallacy of those Jewish religious leaders beliefs with their own false understanding of after-life being exposed painfully to them. They did not believe Jesus is Messiah, but had their own stories to deceive people with , to increase the power of the religious leaders (as they were fond to do) over the people.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, you have entirely and utterly misinterpreted.
Nope. not at all. There was no condemning at all to the crowd, nor was that used as an example for rebuking. You are just inserting what you want it to say but at the end it shows what Catholics, Orthodox, and even older Protestant denominations have been telling you. Advocating to saints is perfectly normal in practice and here you have Jesus demonstrating that.

Upvote 0