Why Is John MacArthur Considered A Heretic By Some Fundamentalists

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
1646 LBCF ArticleXXXV.

And all His servants of all estates (are to acknowledge Him to be their prophet, priest and king) and called thither to be enrolled among His household servants, to present their bodies and souls, and to bring their gifts God hath given them, to be under His heavenly conduct and government, to lead their lives in this walled sheepfold, and watered garden, to have communion here with His saints, that they may be assured that they are made meet to be partakers of their inheritance in the kingdom of God; and to supply each others wants, inward and outward; (and although each person hath a propriety in his own estate, yet they are to supply each others wants, according as their necessities shall require, that the name of Jesus Christ may not be blasphemed through the necessity of any in the Church) and also being come, they are here by Himself to be bestowed in their several order, due place, peculiar use, being fitly compact and knit together according to the effectual working of every part, to the edifying of itself in love.

Acts. 2:41,47; Isa. 4:3, 1 Cor. 12:6,7, etc.; Ezek. 20:37,40; Song of Sol. 4:12; Eph. 2:19; Rom. 12:4,5,6; Col. 1:12, 2:5,6,19; Acts 20:32, 5:4, 2:44,45, 4:34,35; Luke 14:26; 1 Tim. 6:1; Eph. 4:16.

Article XLIX.

But in case we find not the magistrate [or governing authority] to favor us herein; yet we dare not suspend our practice, because we believe we ought to go in obedience to Christ, in professing the faith which was once delivered to the saints, which faith is declared in the holy Scriptures, and this our confession of faith a part of them, and that we are to witness to the truth of the Old and New Testaments unto the death, if necessity require, in the midst of all trials and afflictions, as His saints of old have done; not accounting our goods, lands, wives, children, fathers, mothers, brethren, sisters; yea and our own lives dear unto us, so we may finish our course with joy; remembering always, that we ought to obey God rather than men, who will when we have finished our course, and kept the faith, give us the crown of righteousness; to whom we must give an account of all our actions, and no man being able to discharge us of the same.

Acts 2:40,41, 4:19, 5:28,29, 20:23; 1 Thess. 3:3; Phil. 1:28,29; Dan. 3:16,17, 6:7,10,22,23; 1 Tim. 6:13,14; Rom. 12:1,8; 1 Cor. 14:37; Rev. 2:20; 2 Tim. 4:6,7,8; Rom. 14:10, 12; 2 Cor. 5:10; Ps. 49:7,50:22

1646 LBCF source

1655 Midlands SoF

15th. That persons so baptized ought, by free consent, to walk together, as God shall give opportunity in distinct churches, or assemblies of Zion, continuing in the Apostles' doctrine and fellowship, breaking of bread and prayers, as fellow-men caring for one another, according to the will of God. All these ordinances of Christ are enjoined in His Church, being to be observed till his Second Coming, which we all ought diligently to wait for.

1655 Midlands source

Thanks for the quotations . All three seem to be silent on the issue .

Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Currently reside in Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the quotations . All three seem to be silent on the issue .

I disagree. The poor in the church are to be seen to first. Study the church at Jerusalem.

and to supply each others wants, inward and outward; (and although each person hath a propriety in his own estate, yet they are to supply each others wants, according as their necessities shall require, that the name of Jesus Christ may not be blasphemed through the necessity of any in the Church)

if necessity require, in the midst of all trials and afflictions, as His saints of old have done; not accounting our goods, lands, wives, children, fathers, mothers, brethren, sisters; yea and our own lives dear unto us

as fellow-men caring for one another

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Jack Chick is taken with a grain of salt. he has a few things that are good and stuff that is not good.

I don't think Fundamentalists throw out the "heretic" title much.

• Winner
Reactions: Omah1970
Upvote 0

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Jack Chick's fairly influential among the fundamentalists you're describing so is Jack Schapp.

Jack Schaap is Jack Hyles son-in-law, basically a younger version of Hyles. He wrote some very strange stuff on communion i hear.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I disagree. The poor in the church are to be seen to first. Study the church at Jerusalem.

and to supply each others wants, inward and outward; (and although each person hath a propriety in his own estate, yet they are to supply each others wants, according as their necessities shall require, that the name of Jesus Christ may not be blasphemed through the necessity of any in the Church)

if necessity require, in the midst of all trials and afflictions, as His saints of old have done; not accounting our goods, lands, wives, children, fathers, mothers, brethren, sisters; yea and our own lives dear unto us

as fellow-men caring for one another

Thank you . Which statement of faith was that from?

Upvote 0

General Mung Beans

Resident Conservative Christian
Aug 25, 2009
Anaheim, CA
✟8,496.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Jack Chick is taken with a grain of salt. he has a few things that are good and stuff that is not good.

I don't think Fundamentalists throw out the "heretic" title much.

Well depends. For instance this church's (who fortunately are not representative of most fundamentalists) favorite term seems to be "heretic": Welcome

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Well depends. For instance this church's (who fortunately are not representative of most fundamentalists) favorite term seems to be "heretic": Welcome

not only did the page almost crash firefox . the spirit resonance of that page is freaky .

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Spirit resonance? Can you explain?

Its because of what Jesus said of the trinity in John .

i get an impression of the type of spirit anywhere in the kingdom just by looking at it . or being in a place that represents it .

i get a trail on most posts on the board also . but usually it is culmulative .

and there's a manifestation of it that allows me to connect to people outside the body as an outreach too .

some people have a literal interpretation . i have a somewhat literal experience . it has profoundly shaped the way i think .

• Prayers
Reactions: Omah1970
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

the particular baptist

pactum serva
Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
✟10,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
uhoh

Its because of what Jesus said of the trinity in John .

i get an impression of the type of spirit anywhere in the kingdom just by looking at it . or being in a place that represents it .

i get a trail on most posts on the board also . but usually it is culmulative .

and there's a manifestation of it that allows me to connect to people outside the body as an outreach too .

some people have a literal interpretation . i have a somewhat literal experience . it has profoundly shaped the way i think .

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The resonance is disconnected . and intentionally critical . but on the surface "soft" and personal .

and at disconnect . there is this disconcerting "feeling" that love really is not their thesis at all .

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
You see . the bible is a seed .

and if you keep stuffing it into your being like that .

when it blooms .

the same thing will happen to you .

there is no denying what Jesus spoke forth .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I hold to the historic "five fundamentals", but in other ways I'm probably too liberal to be a fundamentalist. Here's my opinion all the same:

I don't consider MacArthur, Piper or Sproul to be heretics at all. Though I have some rather sharp disagreements with them, and particularly with MacArthur, my differences are not of the sort that would make me say they're not my Christian brothers or that they're not orthodox Christians. And it doesn't especially bother me that they're Calvinists, since I'm 3 1/2 to 4 points that way myself (though I'd actually say I'm Lutheran on soteriology rather than Calvinist or Arminian).

I'm not terribly familiar with Piper, but I have MacArthur's and Sproul's study Bibles (Sproul edited the Reformation Study Bible), and I find both very useful. I wouldn't use those if I thought they were heretics.

Upvote 0

leothelioness

Apr 4, 2006
Southern US
✟112,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
One doesn't need to team up with a Mormon or Benny Hinn to be considered ecumenical. I'm sure I could think of several examples but MacArthur has been affiliated with those that use rock music in worship. I am not going to debate that topic but just bring it up as an example. Our church for example would never work with a church that uses rock for their worship service. Then you have people like Chuck Colson who go even further and have no problems working with Roman Catholics. It is interesting to note that there is tension between MacArthur's ministry and Piper's. Piper has teamed up with the likes of Mark Driscoll (the potty mouth pastor) and MacArthur's ministry has openly spoken out against Driscoll.
Maybe I missed the memo, but what's bad about working with Catholics? :scratch:

Upvote 0