Why Is Jesus Called 'The Word' in John 1:1?

al_man

Seeker of Justive
Apr 25, 2011
Scotland
✟7,875.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am sure it is because he is referred to The Word come to Life, as in the old testament prophesies of him have come to flesh he is The Word that was spoken of. Couldn't give references as I am not 100% with my Bible at the moment but I am sure that is the reasoning behind it.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Lyssah, there is sooooo much to Jesus's identity as the Word of God. That is a great question to ask God! I have found that when I ask him questions, he often *gasp* answers!

right off the top of my head..
Jesus is personally God's message to the world.
Jesus is the embodiment of everything in the Bible and more.
Jesus is the Word by which everything was created.

Upvote 0

Light hearted

May 15, 2008
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know this is a small example, but I take it deeply.

Jesus Transfigured on the Mount

17:5 While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them; and suddenly a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear Him!”

To "Hear Him" meant to listen to the words that Jesus was saying.

Referring to Jesus as "The Word"?

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Barnes says concisely:

There have been many opinions about the reason why this name was given to the Son of God. Those opinions it is unnecessary to repeat. The opinion which seems most plausible may be expressed as follows:

1st. A word is that by which we communicate our will; by which we convey our thoughts;

2nd. The Son of God may be called "the Word," because he is the medium by which God promulgates his will and issues his commandments.​

It is through Jesus that we come to understand the true nature of the Father. He said, "if you have seen Me, you have seen the Father." This is why He is also called the Wisdom of God in the Old Testament. It is through Jesus that God chose to create, redeem and continue to deal with the world, including glorifying the church. If you consider the perfect integrity of the mouth of God, you see that calling Jesus the Word of God is a powerful testimony to His deity. Some biblical reflections:

Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets,
but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.
He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, -Heb 1:1-3.

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.
For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities-all things were created through him and for him.
And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent.
For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell,
and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross. -Col 1:15-20

Upvote 0

Lyssah

Jun 29, 2012
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lyssah, there is sooooo much to Jesus's identity as the Word of God. That is a great question to ask God! I have found that when I ask him questions, he often *gasp* answers!

right off the top of my head..
Jesus is personally God's message to the world.
Jesus is the embodiment of everything in the Bible and more.
Jesus is the Word by which everything was created.

Lol!! Very good simple point. Thanks for the reminder!

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've never thought about this before.

In Greek, the term is "Logos." See Wikipedia.

The term "Logos" had already been used by philosophers in NT times, although John 1:1 gives "Logos" a different meaning.

Reactions: snowpumpkin
Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus is called The Word because the Greek word "logos" encompasses a lot...if you study the word "logos" you'll find it encompasses so much that many definitions fall short.

Here are some meanings of the word "logos" :

Adam Clarke's Commentary On The NT:

Logos, which signifies a word spoken, speech, eloquence, doctrine, reason, or the faculty of reasoning...

New Commentary On The Whole Bible NT:

Word—Greek, ho logos, signifying primarily “the Expression”—God expressed, God explained, God defined (see John 1:18). The Greek term logos in philosophical terminology also denoted the principle of the universe, even the creative energy that generated the universe (Morris). Thus, Christ as the Logos is the agent of and the personal expression of the Creator God.

So basically Jesus is The Logos or "The Expression of God"...and there's just no words to define it completely. :amen:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
These are great replies, everyone. Thank you so much for your feedback.

What about Revelation 19 where Jesus is basically called the word of god? Any thoughts on that?

Revelation 19:13 where Jesus is called The Word Of God bears the same meaning.

Upvote 0

Lyssah

Jun 29, 2012
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Revelation 19:13 where Jesus is called The Word Of God bears the same meaning.

See that makes sense to me.

When I read Rev 19, it's obvious to me that "the Word" is called Jesus. I wanted to see everyone's thoughts on this because first, I was curious, but second, to see if everyone a reed that Jesus IS the Word.

For the first time in my Christian walk, I met someone who believes that Jesus is not the Word in John 1:1.... and I was like "huh??" I asked her what "the Word became flesh and dwelt among us" and Rev 19 meant, but still haven't gotten a straight answer about it. She's a good friend. And I believe she loves God. I just couldn't understand how anyone could see it that way.

Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
See that makes sense to me.

When I read Rev 19, it's obvious to me that "the Word" is called Jesus. I wanted to see everyone's thoughts on this because first, I was curious, but second, to see if everyone a reed that Jesus IS the Word.

For the first time in my Christian walk, I met someone who believes that Jesus is not the Word in John 1:1.... and I was like "huh??" I asked her what "the Word became flesh and dwelt among us" and Rev 19 meant, but still haven't gotten a straight answer about it. She's a good friend. And I believe she loves God. I just couldn't understand how anyone could see it that way.
Well Lyssah, you can't force feed her but you can give her some scriptures to read like:

John 8:58:

Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.”

Colossians 1:15-17:

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities— all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together." (NASB)

Titus 2:13-14:

"looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus; who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds."

1 Timothy 6:14-16:

"that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which He will bring about at the proper time-He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords; who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light; whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen."

Those are just few you can give her to read. If she still doesn't see that Jesus is God, she may be having difficulty understanding the trinity or she may be in a cult that's teaching her that Jesus is not God. Try to find out where she fellowships and that should give you some insight into the teaching she receives.

Upvote 0

watchman333

May 20, 2012
✟7,778.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lord Jesus is written of throughout the Old Testament, much of it about His arrival and accomplishments while He walked the earth. As He walked the earth He spoke everything our Heavenly Father told Him to say, thereby becoming the Living Word of God. We are now comforted and/or admonished through His Word, the New Testament. Bless the LORD.

Upvote 0

Lyssah

Jun 29, 2012
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well Lyssah, you can't force feed her but you can give her some scriptures to read like:

John 8:58:

Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.”

Colossians 1:15-17:

He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities— all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together." (NASB)

Titus 2:13-14:

"looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus; who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds."

1 Timothy 6:14-16:

"that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which He will bring about at the proper time-He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords; who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light; whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen."

Those are just few you can give her to read. If she still doesn't see that Jesus is God, she may be having difficulty understanding the trinity or she may be in a cult that's teaching her that Jesus is not God. Try to find out where she fellowships and that should give you some insight into the teaching she receives.

You know, friend, it's interesting that you mention a 'cult' because she actually does have some roots in a faith (that I will not mention) that seems to have damaged her somewhat. She reads the KJV which makes my shock even more profound. I adore the KJV and it's very very obvious that Jesus is God in the KJV. It says it over and over again. So when I ask her about these passages, she claims that basically Jesus became God only after his resurrection. She does not go to a church for she believes that 'church' is evil and it teaches lies.

It's bizarre.

When I asked her why they would go worship Jesus as a child, she said that they were worshipping 'God in Him', not the child.

I'm still trying to see what makes her tick, so to speak. I need to know what she believes first just so I can understand her.

I really like the passages you quoted, thank you. I forgot about 'Our great God and Savior', and I might ask her about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Lyssa, since you know her denomination I encourage you to do a search on them and find out what the teachings are so you inform yourself on what it is they believe. That way you can be prepared for her beliefs and understand why they believe certain things and what they base their beliefs on.

It's good that you're patient in understanding what she believes.

The idea she relates of Jesus becoming God after the resurrection sounds to me like "Adoptionism".

Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, I've researched her prior beliefs, and her current beliefs definitely echo those prior beliefs. But not all of them.

I've never heard of adoptionism. I'll will definitely look that up. Are there any religions out there that teach this that you know of?

Without knowing the denomination I'm just guessing but go to the website CARM.org (Christian Apologetics Research Ministry). They may have some information for you.

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think it's all about balance. You can't live a Christian life solely on the Spirit, or solely on the Word. Without the Spirit, the scriptures become the dead letter; with Him, they become life.

Without the Word, a Christian's life may be all Spirit, and when that takes place we witness what continues to occur in congregations where manifestations are the aim, not knowing Jesus.

Jesus said, "You do err not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God," and we know where the power comes from: Acts 2, "And you shall recieve power after the Holy Ghost comes upon you."

From Jesus' mouth came the balance: "Search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have life, and they are they which testify of me."

Plus, "But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me..." (By the way, the Holy Spirit is not an "it," as so many say. Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit as "he.")

You cannot grow properly solely by the Spirit. Neither can you, solely by acquainting yourself with the Bible. The two must be mixed for real growth to occur.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lyssah

Jun 29, 2012
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's all about balance. You can't live a Christian life solely on the Spirit, or solely on the Word. Without the Spirit, the scriptures become the dead letter; with Him, they become life.

Without the Word, a Christian's life may be all Spirit, and when that takes place we witness what continues to occur in congregations where manifestations are the aim, not knowing Jesus.

Jesus said, "You do err not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God," and we know where the power comes from: Acts 2, "And you shall recieve power after the Holy Ghost comes upon you."

From Jesus' mouth came the balance: "Search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have life, and they are they which testify of me."

Plus, "But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me..." (By the way, the Holy Spirit is not an "it," as so many say. Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit as "he.")

You cannot grow properly solely by the Word. Neither can you, solely by acquainting yourself with the Bible. The two must be mixed for real growth to occur.

Well said!

:amen:

Upvote 0