Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why is it, do you think, that when you are most confused and hurt that God seems to be His most silent?

What about the times you pray and pray...and pray...for an issue, and there's just no relief? No freedom from the chains?

Does it ever seem that to you that we are just groping around in the darkness trying to find the light, just barely hanging on until Christ rescues us?

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Let me be the first to say that I have felt this. Sometimes for years.

I don't know why. Although I suppose that it is possible to get to a state where you feel the presence of God all the time. The mystics of the Church seem to have attained this. And probably many people whose names are forgotten. I'm trying for it. Maybe this is what Paul meant by "those who are perfect / spiritually mature."

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Why is it, do you think, that when you are most confused and hurt that God seems to be His most silent?
One thought that occurs to me is this statement - which is very widespread and accepted - is actually looking at the matter backwards.

Being confused and hurt is a result of us not listening to God when He speaks (leads, directs, inspires - use the word you like). Since we're not listening anyway, God doesn't speak until we're obedient to hear.

Maybe.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi
God speaks, in the Bible, straight to us; believe the words that you read and be thankful for them. It is as you soak up his words that you draw close to the Father and he will draw close to you. Be faithful and constant, and he will honour your commitment and fill your heart with such joy.
Ephesians 1
I pray for you constantly,
17 asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and insight so that you might grow in your knowledge of God.
18 I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the confident hope he has given to those he called—his holy people who are his rich and glorious inheritance.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟988,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
One thought that occurs to me is this statement - which is very widespread and accepted - is actually looking at the matter backwards.

Being confused and hurt is a result of us not listening to God when He speaks (leads, directs, inspires - use the word you like). Since we're not listening anyway, God doesn't speak until we're obedient to hear.

Maybe.
Possibly, not so backwards at all, but straight to the core.

Upvote 0

AmusingMargaret

Instigator
Dec 26, 2016
Southeastern US
Visit site
✟39,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi
God speaks, in the Bible, straight to us; believe the words that you read and be thankful for them. It is as you soak up his words that you draw close to the Father and he will draw close to you. Be faithful and constant, and he will honour your commitment and fill your heart with such joy.
Ephesians 1
I pray for you constantly,
17 asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and insight so that you might grow in your knowledge of God.
18 I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the confident hope he has given to those he called—his holy people who are his rich and glorious inheritance.

Yes...I know what the Bible says, and I stand on the scriptures that apply to my situation, quote them back to God (like He doesn't know they are there) in my prayers. I have been praying about a particular issue for years, and I know others who are in the same boat, with no answers. Then there are those times when many, many people, across many states, are praying for a little boy with cancer, and he dies anyway. I don't understand...I suppose none of us do. But I'd really like to see a mighty move of good, or at least understand why things seem to stay the same.

I'm just asking questions because I don't see answers to questions like why little children die when so many people are praying in the Bible. I see stories of children being healed, not dying, and even being brought back to life, like Jarius's daughter.

Upvote 0

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes...I know what the Bible says, and I stand on the scriptures that apply to my situation, quote them back to God (like He doesn't know they are there) in my prayers. I have been praying about a particular issue for years, and I know others who are in the same boat, with no answers. Then there are those times when many, many people, across many states, are praying for a little boy with cancer, and he dies anyway. I don't understand...I suppose none of us do. But I'd really like to see a mighty move of good, or at least understand why things seem to stay the same.

I'm just asking questions because I don't see answers to questions like why little children die when so many people are praying in the Bible. I see stories of children being healed, not dying, and even being brought back to life, like Jarius's daughter.

Sometimes one needs to get out of the boat and go onto the shore. For example, to build a bonfire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
'In this world you will have troubles',Jesus said but He sees us through them because He has overcome the world and we can overcome. We do not understand why children die,but we know that God has a special place for them in heaven.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,909.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Why, why, why...I lost my son 2 years ago, we prayed so hard for healing, he was 43yrs and has a lovely wife and two small children...it hurts so. Since then I have learnt so much about heaven, and the new heaven and the new earth promised in Revelation. I know there is a big picture, I trust the Father implicitly and I can now put the questions to one side, to be answered in his time.

I feel that there is a different way to read the Bible; I absorb the promises of God, into myself. This is different from quoting them back to God, as you say, he knows them already.

I also know that that old Satan is responsible for all the evil in the world.

The fight is spiritual and with Satan, but it is something that may benefit from some help. I have a book called 'War Room' that is very good, from Amazon, that I would recommend on how to fight the right battle. I pray for my words to be constructive and helpful for you.

Hebrews 13:20-21 20 Now may the God of peace, who brought again from the dead the great shepherd of the sheep with the blood of an eternal covenant, our Lord Jesus, 21 make you complete in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is well pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen.
Thank you Lord for your peace

Upvote 0

AmusingMargaret

Instigator
Dec 26, 2016
Southeastern US
Visit site
✟39,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why, why, why...I lost my son 2 years ago, we prayed so hard for healing, he was 43yrs and has a lovely wife and two small children...it hurts so. Since then I have learnt so much about heaven, and the new heaven and the new earth promised in Revelation. I know there is a big picture, I trust the Father implicitly and I can now put the questions to one side, to be answered in his time.

I feel that there is a different way to read the Bible; I absorb the promises of God, into myself. This is different from quoting them back to God, as you say, he knows them already.

I also know that that old Satan is responsible for all the evil in the world.

The fight is spiritual and with Satan, but it is something that may benefit from some help. I have a book called 'War Room' that is very good, from Amazon, that I would recommend on how to fight the right battle. I pray for my words to be constructive and helpful for you.

Hebrews 13:20-21 20 Now may the God of peace, who brought again from the dead the great shepherd of the sheep with the blood of an eternal covenant, our Lord Jesus, 21 make you complete in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is well pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen.
Thank you Lord for your peace
Thank you for this response! I'm so very sorry about your son, and I admire your faith. I have a feeling that you are a great inspiration to those around you. Is the War Room book you have the same one they made the movie about?

Upvote 0