Apr 9, 2017
Kentucky
✟20,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By the way...
Conservatives also seem to have a chip on their shoulders about other people thinking that conservatives are ignorant and selfish...

People DO think conservatives are ignorant and selfish.
Conservatives prove this to us all, every day.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
And another thing, Liberalism isn't about MONEY.

Conservatives care too much about money.
They want money.
They don't want liberty and equality.
They want money.
They don't want to heed Jesus.
They want money.
For themselves.

That's why I'm not a conservative.

You have somewhat of a point. I've seen people argue on here that greed isn't sinful.

Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I heard a lot about "No Drama Obama"...

I heard a lot about how Obama found Bin Laden...

I heard a lot about Obama winning the NOBEL PEACE PRIZE for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

Obama is an American asset.
Unlike some people...

Check the date for Obama's Nobel Peace Prize, he had just taken office, had done NOTHING yet but get elected. First president of color, that is what he did. He has gotten a pass on everything else. Obama did not find Bin Laden, he only finally said OK to the military to get him. What president would not have done that? Oh yeah, probably Al Gore would not have done that had he been elected back when.

We needed a less-than-white person to be elected simply to prove our national progress versus racism. But that is the only good thing that Obama represents.

Except for Bin Laden, he kowtowed to all our enemies and supported horribly immoral social policies (like abortion on demand and same-sex marriage).

Upvote 0

The Brown Brink

Apr 9, 2017
Kentucky
✟20,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Check the date for Obama's Nobel Peace Prize, he had just taken office, had done NOTHING yet but get elected. First president of color, that is what he did. He has gotten a pass on everything else. Obama did not find Bin Laden, he only finally said OK to the military to get him. What president would not have done that? Oh yeah, probably Al Gore would not have done that had he been elected back when.

We needed a less-than-white person to be elected simply to prove our national progress versus racism. But that is the only good thing that Obama represents.

Except for Bin Laden, he kowtowed to all our enemies and supported horribly immoral social policies (like abortion on demand and same-sex marriage).

Obama WON the Nobel Peace Prize!
Do you not understand what that MEANS?

Some people don't respect achievement because they don't achieve much themselves...

Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Obama WON the Nobel Peace Prize!
Do you not understand what that MEANS?

Some people don't respect achievement because they don't achieve much themselves...

Some people overly idealize Nobel prizes because they don't achieve much themselves.

By the way, I don't like to brag but you have made a subtle suggestion that I may have not achieved much. So here is a short vita: I have earned four degrees at three different educational institutions and have enjoyed a successful professional career for 30+ years. I have also accomplished research which was published in a peer-reviewed professional journal. I have over 50 articles and essays published online. I am not very famous, thank God, but I have accomplished more than Obama, who many regard as a failure as a president (among our very worst).

But please, may I never receive a Nobel prize! It has become more of an insult than an honor. It is NOT an achievement, it is merely the opinion of a majority of fallible people, mostly liberals. It is political propaganda, not anything of real worth, as Obama's award proves; he had done nothing yet but get elected.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Brown Brink

Apr 9, 2017
Kentucky
✟20,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God does not choose the Nobel prize winners, a bunch of fallible, politically-biased humans do that. It is NOT an achievement, it is merely the opinion of the majority of a very liberal group of people. It is like getting on the cover of Time Magazine. It is essentially meaningless other than a form of political propaganda. And since Obama had achieved absolutely nothing yet but to get elected, it is a strong confirmation that this proposition about Nobel prizes is true.

Some people overly idealize Nobel prizes because they don't achieve much themselves.

By the way, I have achieved (earned) four degrees at three different educational institutions and have enjoyed a successful professional career for 30+ years. I have also accomplished research which was published in a peer-reviewed professional journal. I have over 50 articles and essays published online. I am not very famous, thank God, but I have accomplished far more than Obama. But please, may I never receive a Nobel prize! It has become more an insult than an honor.

If you hadn't told me you were educated...I'd have never known...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In mundane matters it might not be such a big issue. But if you go about vociferating that you speak in God's name and that you are the chosen channel via which he is revealing truths to mankind and then keep repeatedly changing viewpoints and telling people that what you said before is no longer true, then you are playing with fire.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
In mundane matters it might not be such a big issue. But if you go about vociferating that you speak in God's name and that you are the chosen channel via which he is revealing truths to mankind and then keep repeatedly changing viewpoints and telling people that what you said before is no longer true, then you are playing with fire.

If one changes one's view based on the evidence, that is well and good, it is the way we eventually learn the truth. But if one changes one's view based on the crowd one runs with, or based on what benefits the pocketbook, that is the evil of hypocrisy.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If one changes one's view based on the evidence, that is well and good, it is the way we eventually learn the truth. But if one changes one's view based on the crowd one runs with, or based on what benefits the pocketbook, that is the evil of hypocrisy.

If are prone to change our views and know that it has happened several times before while we were confidently claiming to be God's channel of communication, then common sense and decency demands that we learn from our experience and stop declaring that what we are teaching is absolute, unchangeable truth revealed by God.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If are prone to change our views and know that it has happened several times before while we were confidently claiming to be God's channel of communication, then common sense and decency demands that we learn from our experience and stop declaring that what we are teaching is absolute, unchangeable truth revealed by God.

I agree for sure. However, mere stability of belief is also not proof one has the truth revealed by God.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
f
I agree for sure. However, mere stability of belief is also not proof one has the truth revealed by God.
True! Mere stability might even be indicative of not caring whether one has truth or not or even of purposefully malicious concealment of the truth for the sake of personal gain such as wealth or political power or both.

Upvote 0

lazurm

Feb 6, 2011
New York
✟12,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
What you wrote makes sense, except that it is my understanding that Catholics are duty bound to agree with the positions of the Magisterium of the Church, who have thought long and hard on these subjects and have detailed their logic in the Catechism.

How does one determine the benefit/cost ratio in terms of numbers of people to the questions of abortion, gay marriage, doctor assisted suicide, etc.? For instance, the Church believes that abortion is murder and allowing it undermines the value of human life. Others believe that abortion doesn't involve human life as the fetus isn't human and, besides, it increases the odds that unwanted children won't be mistreated and become irresponsible adults, and worse, etc. So, how does one determine b/c ratio?

Besides, if one goes against the position of the Catholic Church, how can one still be a Catholic?

I too was baptized Catholic.

I figure my conscience is God-given.
If I go against my own conscience to obey my church, I cannot blame my church...later...
I am responsible.

I say,
Don't go against your conscience.

If your church promotes behaviors that you do not wish to support...
Then you have a conflict of interest...

In these cases, I myself weigh the pros and the cons to determine what I believe can produce the best outcome for the most people.
Promoting "the best outcome for the most people" is one of the ways that I "love my neighbor."
Jesus said loving your neighbor is one of the two greatest commandments...greater than all the rest...

I figure I'll try to love my neighbor...the best way I can...like Jesus said.

It's a good yardstick.
Greater than all the rest...

Upvote 0