Why is it okay to celebrate Jesus birthday on Christmas?

T

TrutherAU

As christmas day is simply a day for most to be with family and loved ones over a feast of mutual consumer gift giving I dont see what all the hoopla is about one way or the other. By the way all religions can participate in christmas celebrations (although not officially) and the yuletide season so honestly who cares.
Personally I have more of a problem with the concept of Santa claus as I dont see anything even remotely biblical in this figure or his attributes, although if it keeps children happy leave it be I am not about to post a whole thread on it!.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am OK with people celebrating Jesus birthday on December 25, but what I don't understand is how you get there from a 'we only do what the Bible says' perspective.
Or how about what the Bible "doesn't say"?

Upvote 0

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
Southeast Florida, US (Coral Gables near Miami)
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Every 12/25 my wife gets a birthday cake for Jesus with one candle. All festivities and gift giving must stop, and we all sing Him Happy Birthday, the youngest child blows out the candle, and we go back to the madness.

I think Christ is pleased, even though everybody in my family knows full well the Birth could NOT have happened in winter, as no sane shepherd tries to graze sheep in winter time, the dry season, where grass is very sparse in Bethlehem.

To a pagan, all days are pagan. To me, all days are His. He looks on the reason, not the season.

JR

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is there ever a wrong time to celebrate Jesus? It may not be accurate date-wise, but at least it makes this evil hedonistic world aware that there is a saviour by the name of Jesus who deseves all the praise and all the songs we can give him.

Exactly. Thanks for saying it.

Not only is that correct theologically but it's also encouraging to see common sense on these forums.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cubanito

Nov 16, 2005
Southeast Florida, US (Coral Gables near Miami)
✟4,071.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is there ever a wrong time to celebrate Jesus? It may not be accurate date-wise, but at least it makes this evil hedonistic world aware that there is a saviour by the name of Jesus who deseves all the praise and all the songs we can give him.

I second Albion's opinion. Best response yet.

JR

Upvote 0

barryrob

Mar 20, 2008
✟8,616.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. Thanks for saying it.

Not only is that correct theologically but it's also encouraging to see common sense on these forums.

As christmas is based on pagan religious ideas it is not right for Christians to be involved according to The Bibe:-

NET Bible
Unequal Partners
2 Cor. 6:14
Do not become partners with those who do not believe, for what partnership is there between righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship does light* have with darkness**? 6:15 And what agreement does Christ have with Beliar Or what does a believer*** share in common with an unbeliever****? 6:16 And what mutual agreement does the temple of God have with idols? For we are the temple of the living God, just as God said, “I will live in them and will walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.”2 6:17 Therefore “come out from their midst, and be separate,” says the Lord, “and touch no unclean thing, and I will welcome you, 6:18 and I will be a father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters,” says the All-Powerful Lord.

*Bible Teachings
**Pagan Teachings
***Christians
****Pagans

rob

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 14:5-6 KJV One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Colossians 2:13-17 (KJV) 13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15 [And] having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath [days]: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body [is] of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums