Why is it not Easter Friday and Good Sunday?

Andrew4jesus

Apr 25, 2017
Banbury
✟24,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How so? Good Friday is the celebration of Christ's sacrifice on the cross. Easter Sunday is the celebration of when he rose from the dead on the third day. One must follow the other.
I think op means what's good about a Friday when our lord was murdered.

Upvote 0

Andrew4jesus

Apr 25, 2017
Banbury
✟24,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
IMG_1403.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: Zoey <3
Upvote 0

Zoey <3

Considering Catholicism
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2017
Ohio
✟74,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Great, Holy or God Friday would make much more sense. They should be in reverse order, should they not? He did not truly conquer death until he rose. I understand the sacrifice he made and why he did so. I understand the meaning behind it. However, "Good" Friday was originally a day of great sorrow. Whereas, "Easter" is the greatest day in the History of human existence. It is a curious thing :)

Reactions: Andrew4jesus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, we dont call it Easter, but Pascha. This is one of the canons which is read:
Today Christ, our saving Pascha, hath been revealed unto us a noble Pascha; the Pascha new and holy; the mystical Pascha; the Pascha all august; the blameless Pascha; the great Pascha; the Pascha of the faithful; the Pascha which openeth unto us the gates of paradise; the Pascha which sanctifieth all the faithful.

Reactions: Zoey <3
Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Great, Holy or God Friday would make much more sense. They should be in reverse order, should they not? He did not truly conquer death until he rose. I understand the sacrifice he made and why he did so. I understand the meaning behind it. However, "Good" Friday was originally a day of great sorrow. Whereas, "Easter" is the greatest day in the History of human existence. It is a curious thing :)

It is Good Friday because we see on that day a supreme love of God in sending His Son to save sinners followed by supreme sacrifice of the Son. The day upholds the greatest virtue of love and sacrifice together!

Upvote 0