West
✟23,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is accurate. Intelligent Design was developed by the Discovery Institute as a "Trojan Horse" for biblical creationism. And no, that is not some conspiracy theory. They have been quite open about their intentions.
I'm quite familiar with the now 20-year-old Wedge Strategy memo. The Discovery Institute is not a monolithic entity or community of scientists. The Intelligent Design movement is not confined to the Discovery Institute. There is for obvious reasons a close affinity between biblical creationists (likewise not a monolithic community) and the ID proponents, but it seems to me that you are doing pretty much exactly what the OP complained about in regard to "Darwinism."

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I'm quite familiar with the now 20-year-old Wedge Strategy memo. The Discovery Institute is not a monolithic entity or community of scientists. The Intelligent Design movement is not confined to the Discovery Institute. There is for obvious reasons a close affinity between biblical creationists (likewise not a monolithic community) and the ID proponents, but it seems to me that you are doing pretty much exactly what the OP complained about in regard to "Darwinism."
Quite right. And there are scientists still tinkering around with cold fusion who have no professional relationship with or any particular loyalty to Fleischmann & Pons. But by and large the people who are trying to use ID to discredit science are all biblical creationists. And a biblical creationist is one who denounces origins science because it disagrees with the Bible.

Upvote 0

AvisG

Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2019
West
✟23,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Quite right. And there are scientists still tinkering around with cold fusion who have no professional relationship with or any particular loyalty to Fleischmann & Pons. But by and large the people who are trying to use ID to discredit science are all biblical creationists.
I don't know about "biblical" creationists, but it's hard to see how someone who finds the evidence and arguments for intelligent design compelling could be anything other than a creationist of some sort. The best of the ID proponents - Stephen Meyer, for example - don't seem to me to be biblical creationist wolves in scientific sheep's clothing or to be trying to discredit science but simply to be urging "This is legitimate science that deserves a fair hearing." I have a feeling we're watching The Structure of Scientific Revolutions play out before our very eyes (i.e., what Kuhn described as the dynamics of a paradigm shift).

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is accurate. Intelligent Design was developed by the Discovery Institute as a "Trojan Horse" for biblical creationism. And no, that is not some conspiracy theory. They have been quite open about their intentions.
Intelligent Design has been a around since the 1600 - 1700s.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single

Not quite. The origin of the term may be from the Medieval Ages, but Intelligent Design as promoted by many people in the States and online is definitely a recent invention.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Citation? I don't see how the specific claims of Intelligent Design could be made before there was a science of molecular genetics.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is something I don't fully understand when I look on this forum.
Every time a Creationist of any stripe or someone who says they're 'critical of evolution' talks about the theory of evolution, they only ever refer to it as Darwinism.

Darwinian evolution is no longer the accepted model for the theory of evolution. It has been superseded by the modern synthesis, and there have been talks of replacing it with the extended evolutionary synthesis or even the post-modern synthesis.

So I have to ask: why is it always Darwinism that is railed against?
You can’t really blame Creationists for using inappropriate names, it’s like trying to hit a moving target… Lamarckism, Darwinism, Neo-Darwinism, natural selection, Theory of Evolution, modern synthesis, extended evolutionary synthesis, or the post-modern synthesis. It’s sort of like, when it gets enough holes shot in it, just change its name.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
You can’t really blame Creationists for inappropriate names, it’s like trying to hit a moving target… Lamarckism, Darwinism, Neo-Darwinism, natural selection, Theory of Evolution, modern synthesis, extended evolutionary synthesis, or the post-modern synthesis. It’s sort of like, when it gets enough holes shot in it, just change its name.

Except the only holes are ones that you and yours imagine there to be. So... that explanation is bunk.

• Winner
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Quite right. And there are scientists still tinkering around with cold fusion who have no professional relationship with or any particular loyalty to Fleischmann & Pons. But by and large the people who are trying to use ID to discredit science are all biblical creationists. And a biblical creationist is one who denounces origins science because it disagrees with the Bible.
Please describe one or two things that science has proven that ID discredits.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Please describe one or two things that science has proven that ID discredits.
"Proven?" I'm not going to play that game. That is one of the most blatant dishonest tricks in the creationists' playbook.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

The modern ID movement as promoted by the Discovery Institute, et al., is only a few decades old (IIRC, it has its roots in the 1980's).

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Proven?" I'm not going to play that game. That is one of the most blatant dishonest tricks in the creationists' playbook.
I'm not trying to trick you. So name two things that evolutionary science says that ID discredits.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I'm not trying to trick you. So name two things that evolutionary science says that ID discredits.

ID hasn't officially discredited anything. They've *attempted* to discredit biological evolution insofar as being a natural explanation for the diversity of species, but they've thus far failed at that.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟351,170.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
What is it then?

Intelligent Design (note the capitals) is the pseudo-scientific and the pseudo-religious belief that the Bible is a scientific text book and should be taken as such.

Intelligent design (ID) is a pseudoscientific argument for the existence of God, presented by its proponents as "an evidence-based scientific theory about life's origins". Proponents claim that "certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection." ID is a form of creationism that lacks empirical support and offers no testable or tenable hypotheses, so it is not science. The leading proponents of ID are associated with the Discovery Institute, a fundamentalist Christian and politically conservative think tank based in the United States.

The 'argument for divine design in nature', the teleological argument, is different:
The teleological or physico-theological argument, also known as the argument from design, or intelligent design argument is an argument for the existence of God or, more generally, for an intelligent creator based on perceived evidence of deliberate design in the natural world.

Two different things entirely.

Upvote 0