Why is Evolution feared by many Christians?

corvus_corax

Naclist Hierophant and Prophet
Jan 19, 2005
Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
flashwizard said:
Honestly you are correct, in the context of Evolution and Bible and this discussion, what is more discernable? Evolution of a human or of a plant or animal? To understand the point of whether a human evolved is a far more important issue because according to the bible humans were created in God's image not plants and animals (Gen 1:26-27), and this really should be the one discussed. Because plants and animals according to the Bible are to be ruled by Man (Gen 1:26), and there role is less significant, obviously an oxen cannot participate in christianity and worship like man.
Yes, but one must, if one is going to argue the merits and flaws of evolution, be willing to include all of evolutionary theory if one is going to argue the evolution (pro or con) of humans.
Discounting the evolution of "animals" discounts automatically the evolution of humans, since, from evotionary theory's POV, man is an animal and shares a common ancestor with other animals.

Not that you're trying to, but it sounds like you're trying to create a one-sided loaded debate by discounting the evolution of other animals.

Upvote 0

corvus_corax

Jan 19, 2005
Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
flashwizard said:
Can an evolutionist believe in God? In the context of Christianity.
If they do, then what religion is that?
There are several people on these boards who believe both in the God of the Bible (along with Jesus and the need for salvation) and the theory of evolution.
They claim that theistic evolution is not a problem.
They also claim that their religion is Christianity.

You'd have to take that up with them though.

Upvote 0

flashwizard

Apr 7, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟192.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
corvus_corax said:
There are several people on these boards who believe both in the God of the Bible (along with Jesus and the need for salvation) and the theory of evolution.
They claim that theistic evolution is not a problem.
They also claim that their religion is Christianity.

You'd have to take that up with them though.

Interesting, I did not know the "term."

Upvote 0

corvus_corax

Jan 19, 2005
Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
flashwizard said:
From an evolutionists standpoint:

What is your position on the "soul" or "spirit" of a living being, could such a thing evolve? Or do you completely disagree with the existence of either?
Me, personally, I have a rather agnostic POV regarding such, much like my views of deity. It may exist, it may not.
Although I find Michael Shermers theory on why we believe in such to be quite understandable

Upvote 0

flashwizard

Apr 7, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟192.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
I see. I guess a lot of understanding would come from the ability for a Human to "reason." Could that be evolved? Which is why I would seem to think that an evolutionist would see the existence of an inner essence.

Another pondering point:

A spirit is unphysical, so it couldn't evolve. But then what would explain where it came from.

If you think about it, this has a lot to do with an Evolution claim. In order for it to fit into evolution it would have to be evolved, but it can't because it's not physical. And the next thing is that it would have to be put there by something...or last but not least it just doesn't exist at all, but it is evident that we can reason beyond instinct. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

corvus_corax

Jan 19, 2005
Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
flashwizard said:
I see. I guess a lot of understanding would come from the ability for a Human to "reason." Could that be evolved? Which is why I would seem to think that an evolutionist would see the existence of an inner essence.
So are you equating the ability to reason with a soul or spirit?

flashwizard said:
Another pondering point:

A spirit is unphysical, so it couldn't evolve. But then what would explain where it came from.
I think the TE's would say God put it there.

flashwizard said:
If you think about it, this has a lot to do with an Evolution claim. In order for it to fit into evolution it would have to be evolved, but it can't because it's not physical. And the next thing is that it would have to be put there by something...or last but not least it just doesn't exist at all, but it is evident that we can reason beyond instinct. Thoughts?
A few, but Ive got to run to work. I'll be back in a few hours

Cya later :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Edx

Senior Veteran
Apr 3, 2005
✟5,474.00
Faith
Atheist
flashwizard said:
From an evolutionists standpoint:

What is your position on the "soul" or "spirit" of a living being, could such a thing evolve? Or do you completely disagree with the existence of either?

Thats a religious thing, and has nothing to do with evolution. Just to be clear.

Upvote 0

3Amig(o)s

3Amig(o)s
Feb 2, 2004
CA
✟15,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
tattedsaint said:
if your talking about proving God's existence, then i agree that science can neither prove or disprove God's existence, but with his creation, no offense is intended here, but doesn't that seem contradicting the way you put that? to "help explain his creation" means that something would have to have been proven, or disproven or both.

you said science has nothing to do with faith. that in a way is my exact point which is why do not understand why Christians are afraid to believe in Evolution. i mean when Christians adamantly defend Creationism almost to the point of defending Christianity itself, that shows they are afraid to believe in Evolution. i'm almost afraid to say my next statement, but if you take Young Earth Creationism, with is a "study" of scientific things, what will happen to Christians' faith? i mean in my opinion, Evolution, Creationism are just ways of explaining how God created this world, but they both can't be right, and they both can't have partial truths. i mean when you change on these two things, you being to re-examine your faith to some degree because in my opinion, there has to be a middle ground between the un-explainable attributes of God, and the explainable attributes of God.

well i'm off to take a little nap. i work 3rd shift, and i need a little rest before work. i will keep on checking back on this thread and posting as the discussion continues :) God Bless you all! :) <><

Er... science can point to the fact that a God exists...

THINK ABOUT THIS:

If God didn't exist, how did everything get here? Matter cannot be created or destroyed."(only changed)

So how did it get here? When it really comes down to it, you have to BELIEVE in evolution. You have to BELIEVE that there is no God. Evolution is a religion. (that's why I hate it when they call Christianity a religion, but they call Evolution a scientific fact! :mad: )

Upvote 0

Edx

Senior Veteran
Apr 3, 2005
✟5,474.00
Faith
Atheist
3Amig(o)s said:
Er... science can point to the fact that a God exists...

THINK ABOUT THIS:

If God didn't exist, how did everything get here? Matter cannot be created or destroyed."(only changed)

Fallacy from incredulity. And this isnt science its philosophy.

So how did it get here? When it really comes down to it, you have to BELIEVE in evolution.

No you dont. Creationists know this which is why they sign a statment that says that no evidence will ever change their minds.

You have to BELIEVE that there is no God.

I dont have to believe there is no God, the same way you dont have to believe there is no Krsna, fairies, leprechauns or the Giant Cosmic Toad God I just thought up.

Evolution is a religion. (that's why I hate it when they call Christianity a religion, but they call Evolution a scientific fact! :mad: )

Evolution isnt a religion. Theres no faith to be had, if something inst based on objective verifiable evidence its not science. Evolution is a fact and a theory like every other scientific theory. I bet if i were to ask you to tell me what you think evolution is you would not be anywhere correct.

Ed

Upvote 0

Sinai

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
✟1,762.00
Faith
Protestant
flashwizard said:
Can an evolutionist believe in God?
Of course.
In the context of Christianity.
If they do, then what religion is that?
A belief in one God is monotheism; in the context of Christianity, it would be Christianity. A Christian who believes the theory of evolution is still a Christian, just as a Christian who believes the theory of gravity is still a Christian. Christianity is a religion, while the theory of evolution is a scientific theory. The two are not mutually exclusive. Although the ToE may be the best scientific explanation we currently have of when and how life on Earth developed, there are certain aspects of the theory that are probably incomplete or incorrect--and those portions will undoubtedly be amended as new discoveries are made and new explanations are formulated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sinai

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
✟1,762.00
Faith
Protestant
3Amig(o)s said:
Carmack said:
The matter always existed. Just like people claim God has always existed.
Not only does science not attempt to speculate where the matter or energy come from that became our universe, but science also says it is unable to determine where it came from, since that would involve a time period prior to time as we know it. Both science and the Bible appear to agree that there was a beginning of our universe, of all matter, and of time as we know it. The Bible calls it "the beginning"--while science usually calls it "the big bang" or "the primeval atom" (an event considered to be a singularity).

Although the Bible tells us that in the beginning God created the universe, it does not say what materials God used. The Hebrew verb used in Genesis 1:1 is bara, which means created out of nothing. Only God can do that. Ancient Jewish tradition claims God used a pinch of His own pure energy--but that's merely tradition rather than scripture, though it is remarkably similar to what the big bang theory says may have happened.....

Upvote 0