Why is Christianity even labelled as a religion?

frater_domus

Faith is all that matters.
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2018
Berlin
✟186,302.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I honestly don't know why you feel that way, and I get a creepy feeling that you are uncomfortable saying you converted to Christianity.

Who told you that all religions are man made? They are wrong. Consider that the religion of the Israelites in the Torah, with its 613 rules and all of its many temple rituals, was instituted by God himself.

Let's see how the Dictionary defines religion. I bet it won't say anything about man made.
re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
By that definition, Christianity is a religion.

The Bible says that "True Religion" is to help out widows and orphans in their distress, something that both James and Jesus says we are to be doing.

Let's talk about the things that are associated with Religion:
  • God or gods
  • sometimes other supernatural beings like spirits or angels
  • moral laws
  • sacrifices or offerings
  • prayers
  • sacred texts
Do you realize that Christianity has all of these?

Yeap, Christianity is a religion. My suggestion is that you pray for help in overcoming your anti-religion bias.

So what you are saying is that Judaism, Hinduism, Budhism, Islam and whatever else one might find should all be labelled as religions as well? That would be an insult to what Christianity is and stands for. I prefer to have something that separates true from false teachings instead of tossing it all in one pot.
By your listing above, Christianity may well have all of those things, but it is far more than any other human teaching, seeing as it comes straight from God and includes the worship of the one true, living God.

No need for the creepy feeling. The sole reason I feel unconfortable is because the same words are used for false teaching as well as for Christianity in modern languages, and I feel uncomfortable equating something holy with something man-made. It is not Christianity that makes me feel uncomfortable, but the thought that people see it as something that isn't from God. It has no connection with my personal relationship with it.

Upvote 0

jesusssfreeek

Feb 11, 2012
✟15,420.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Instead of repeatedly telling us that we are wrong, teach us what you consider to the the truth, so that we may learn.
The deciples define "religion" as visiting the orphans and widows. The author of this thread is begining to see the truth. Christan means to follow the Christ not in habit and mannor but to be lead of Him in a spiritual walk which most who call themselves christian do not understand. Also once you have created false religions then classify the truth of our existance as a religion the evil one has created mass confussion of the Truth for he is the author of it.

Reactions: frater_domus
Upvote 0

jesusssfreeek

Feb 11, 2012
✟15,420.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Leviticus and Deuteronomy have PLENTY of rituals and traditions. Paul wrote this:

1 Corinthians 11:2
Now I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold firmly to the traditions, just as I delivered them to you.

2 Thessalonians 2:15
So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.

2 Thessalonians 3:6
Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from every brother who leads an unruly life and not according to the tradition which you received from us.​

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So what you are saying is that Judaism, Hinduism, Budhism, Islam and whatever else one might find should all be labelled as religions as well? That would be an insult to what Christianity is and stands for. I prefer to have something that separates true from false teachings instead of tossing it all in one pot.
By your listing above, Christianity may well have all of those things, but it is far more than any other human teaching, seeing as it comes straight from God and includes the worship of the one true, living God.

No need for the creepy feeling. The sole reason I feel unconfortable is because the same words are used for false teaching as well as for Christianity in modern languages, and I feel uncomfortable equating something holy with something man-made. It is not Christianity that makes me feel uncomfortable, but the thought that people see it as something that isn't from God. It has no connection with my personal relationship with it.

Other religions use words like "prayer", "belief", "faith", and "hope", but that doesn't mean we should stop talking about prayer, belief, faith, and hope.

Burning dictionaries to make ourselves feel better isn't going to solve anything.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
To be a part of a religion today, is to be apart of an organized group of people who, for the most part, follow the same set of rules, have the same set of beliefs, observe the same holy days....etc. To go into original meanings, only serves to avoid getting to the point of the thread...therefore is without point.

Thanks being said, even though I like religion and am a part of one, I do not link it to the worship of God in spirit.......e.g. a personal relationship with God.

I believe it is when we try to mix the two, is when there is conflict......but apart....There is no fault in either.
Interesting. Often worship and church (religion) are linked. I believe one can worship without church attendance. Still there is something about cooperate worshiping God.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I agree.

The Mosaic Law (as a whole package deal) no longer exists. It became obsolete with Christ's death. It is obvious the Old Law does not still exist because various commands in the New Testament have changed what the Old Law says. For example: Paul says that if you seek to be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. Jesus says to us that we are no longer to render an eye for an eye but we are to turn the other cheek. When Jesus died upon the cross, the temple veil was torn letting us know that the laws on the priesthood and the animal sacrifices were no longer valid anymore. Jesus is our Heavenly High Priest and He is our Passover Lamb. Paul says we are no longer to judge according to Sabbaths and holy days. Peter was told to eat unclean animals (Which is a violation of OT Law).

However, that does not mean God does not have other laws (or commands) for us today. In fact, one must understand that God has "Eternal Moral Laws" for man since after his "fall" in the Garden. After the "fall": It was always wrong to murder, commit adultery, sleep with one's parents, get drunk, hate your brother, covet, lie, commit idolatry, etc. These Moral laws existed before the written Law and they still exist today. The written Law of Moses merely repeated them or emphasized them. But in addition to these moral laws, there were laws (within the Old Law) that were exclusive to the nation of Israel. These are ceremonial laws (like the Saturday Sabbath, circumcision, the dietary laws, animal sacrifices involving a priesthood) and civil laws (like on how to manage farming etc.) and judicial laws (like regulating legal matters). There were a total of 613 Commands in the Old Testament Law of Moses. Some of these Laws are God's Eternal Moral Laws; Others are exclusively for Israel and do not apply to us. Believers today are under the New Testament (i.e. the New Covenant) with new laws (Which would include God's Eternal Moral Laws). Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed (along with the change of the priesthood).

Jesus did not come to abrogate God's Eternal Moral Laws (like do not murder, do not hate, do not commit adultery, do not steal, etc.). Jesus nailed to the cross those ordinances that were against us (like the Saturday Sabbath, the death penalty for disobeying God's laws, circumcision, the dietary laws, etc.) (See Colossians 2:14-17). Jesus says, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill." (Matthew 5:17). So Jesus did not come to destroy all Law and it's consequences but He came to fulfill them into their true intended purpose with the commands given to us within the New Testament. These commands are based on love. Love God and love your neighbor.
Who here said anything about God's eternal moral laws you talk about being done away with? The problem we have here is those who want say we've done that are mixing them with the law given to Israel in order to bind us to their private amended version of the 4th commandment.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
A religion is, by definition, a set of beliefs and/or practices. Christianity fits that definition, as such Christianity is a religion. Christianity has a set of beliefs and practices, our beliefs are codified in the historic creeds, most importantly the Nicene Creed, and we practice our faith through established rites, rituals, and other practices--gathered worship, prayer, fasting, days/seasons of observance, etc.

Jesus called together a group of people and called them His Church, and He instituted rites to be done such as Baptism and the Eucharist (what are traditionally called Sacraments), He then organized and instituted that Church to preach His message, His Gospel, to the world. His Apostles did as He instructed, they went out, preached the Gospel, baptizing, they established communities throughout the ancient world, and established clergy to look after and shepherd Christ's flock, pastors (bishops and presbyters) and deacons, who would continue the ministry of the Apostles after they were gone. These communities continued in the teaching and practice which Jesus gave, as preached by His Apostles, and they would go on to codify a collection of sacred writings which we know today as the Bible, and they would combat against false teaching and heresy, and come together to establish statements of faith and creeds, such as the Nicene Creed, to affirm their faith in Jesus Christ as a people sharing a common faith and mission in the world.

That's what Christianity is, and we can see it right there in the books of the New Testament, and in the historic record and writings of Christians who came right after the Apostles (who themselves were taught directly by the Apostles), in a continued chain of teaching and tradition that comes right up until the present day.

All of that is definitely a religion.

Christianity isn't unique because it's not a religion; Christianity is unique--we believe--because it's true. Jesus Christ who suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, buried, and dead is risen from the dead, ascended into heaven, and seated at the right hand of the Father. As Jaroslav Pelikan said, "If Christ is risen, nothing else matters; and if Christ is not risen -- nothing else matters." Christianity stands or falls on whether this Jesus did indeed rise. We believe He did, and we are willing to put the entirety of our hope and trust on that singular claim and confession.

-CryptoLutheran
In general a person is said to be religious for no other reason than they attend church. I find church attendance is incidental (not required for) a relationship with God. I hope I'd easily be willing to give my life for the cause of Jesus Christ. I however am not willing to give my life for what goes on at church.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
In general a person is said to be religious for no other reason than they attend church. I find church attendance is incidental (not required for) a relationship with God. I hope I'd easily be willing to give my life for the cause of Jesus Christ. I however am not willing to give my life for what goes on at church.

What does, biblically speaking, a "relationship with God" look like? Because what I see in Scripture is that our relationship to God is God's relationship with us through Christ, through His Gospel, through His Sacraments, and through His Church.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What does, biblically speaking, a "relationship with God" look like? Because what I see in Scripture is that our relationship to God is God's relationship with us through Christ, through His Gospel, through His Sacraments, and through His Church.

-CryptoLutheran
To most people it looks like church attendance. I know you want me to say it looks like religion. I say it is a relationship with God. It's not a relationship with the mechanics of that relationship.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Edit: To avoid any further confusion: I have been living under the assumption that religion is correctly described in a modern dictionary, which is how I used the word ‘religion’ in the title and original post. Having been told otherwise by some folks here, I now know better. What I meant is the mindless and senseless repition as well as the equation of Christianity with false teachings. Please forgive my ignorance.
You know, words have a meaning. I realize that a lot of people today consider themselves to be at liberty to redefine words however they want whenever they want. But when a word has a widely understood definition understood by all, why the temptation to redefine it? Why not simply close this thread and start a new one with words more in line with their actual, recognized definitions?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Who here said anything about God's eternal moral laws you talk about being done away with? The problem we have here is those who want say we've done that are mixing them with the law given to Israel in order to bind us to their private amended version of the 4th commandment.

I merely said it for clarification. There are self professing Christians who believe you can break God’s Moral Laws and be saved even while breaking them. So I stress the importance of this fact to all individuals when I talk about God’s laws.

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. The word religion comes from a Latin root that means "to be in relationship with". The phrase "it's not a religion, it's a relationship" is silly, like saying "it's not a marriage, it's a relationship" or "my wife is not il mio amante, she's my lover".

I would like to know the source of your information. Which latin root are you refering to?

Origin and Etymology of religion
Webster-Merriam says

Middle English religioun, from Anglo-French religiun, Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back
(Definition of RELIGION)

American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition:
[Middle English religioun, from Old French religion, from Latin religiō, religiōn-, perhaps from religāre, to tie fast;]

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014:
[C12: via Old French from Latin religiō fear of the supernatural, piety, probably from religāre to tie up, from re- + ligāre to bind]

Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010
[1150–1200; religioun < Latin religiō conscientiousness, piety <religāre to tie, fasten (re- re- + ligāre to bind, tie; compare ligament)]
(religion)

On the other hand relate has a different source.
Origin and Etymology of relate
Latin relatus (past participle of referre to carry back), from re- + latus, past participle of ferre to carry
(Definition of RELATE)

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I would like to know the source of your information. Which latin root are you refering to?

Origin and Etymology of religion
Webster-Merriam says

Middle English religioun, from Anglo-French religiun, Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back
(Definition of RELIGION)

American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition:
[Middle English religioun, from Old French religion, from Latin religiō, religiōn-, perhaps from religāre, to tie fast;]

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014:
[C12: via Old French from Latin religiō fear of the supernatural, piety, probably from religāre to tie up, from re- + ligāre to bind]

Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010
[1150–1200; religioun < Latin religiō conscientiousness, piety <religāre to tie, fasten (re- re- + ligāre to bind, tie; compare ligament)]
(religion)

On the other hand relate has a different source.
Origin and Etymology of relate
Latin relatus (past participle of referre to carry back), from re- + latus, past participle of ferre to carry
(Definition of RELATE)

I suspect it's from the "to bind" idea. In the sense that a relationship consists of people binding themselves to one another, there could be a crossover sense. Though, you are right that the etymology of the word "religion" doesn't mean "relationship".

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know, words have a meaning. I realize that a lot of people today consider themselves to be at liberty to redefine words however they want whenever they want. But when a word has a widely understood definition understood by all, why the temptation to redefine it? Why not simply close this thread and start a new one with words more in line with their actual, recognized definitions?

I think to many people today want their own thing so they feel free to redefine things like Christianity, Religion, etc. Times are crazy now and people with it.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think to many people today want their own thing so they feel free to redefine things like Christianity, Religion, etc. Times are crazy now and people with it.
You're probably right. It's really annoying though. I get the impression half of the distance between the various Christian bodies is due primarily to people inventing special little snowflake definitions for everything under the sun. Turning words with previously understood and agreed upon definitions into Christianity For Hipsters jargon in the way "religion" has been completely mutilated in this thread does nothing to improve communications or discourse. Nine times out of ten, it ends up being a waste of energy.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Christianity is the true religion.
Other religions are false.

Enough said.

Upvote 0

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Google definition of religion
re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
    synonyms: faith, belief, worship, creed; More

• a particular system of faith and worship.
      plural noun: religions
      "the world's great religions"
    • a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
      "consumerism is the new religion"
That's a pretty simple one, but there's a more in depth one here. I already posted it but here it is again.
Religion Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary

If someone really whole heartedly still believes that following Christ is not a religion then please bring forward a Bible verse that says it is. I used to think that it wasn't because I always heard people say "it's spirituality and not religion" and that was enough for me. Come to find out the NT speaks of a pure and undefiled religion before God. How could that not be something we want to be a part of?

I totally get where people are coming from but it's just because of an inaccurate understanding of the definition.

Upvote 0