Why is American Politics so interesting?

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One thing I've noticed on these forums is that there seems to be quite a bit of fascination with American Politics from people from other nations, yet politics from other nations doesn't get nearly as much attention.

For example, I hardly see anyone discussing foreign matters (unless it's to use to compare to the US), the international politics rarely has any action, and the general political discussion forum often is just an extension of the American politics forum.

Why is this?

It seems like several first-world nations have similar issues to what we have (partisan legislatures, national debt issues, etc...).

It's pretty common for a thread to be started when an obscure US congressman makes just the slightest off-putting comment, there are 5 threads started about it within a day...yet when Mayor Rob Ford (Toronto) gets caught smoking crack by undercover cops...didn't see a whole lotta chatter about it on the forums.

Is it just simply because the US is in a position where we're in the spotlight more often?

1000Flames

Gloria Perpetua
Jul 27, 2011
USA
✟108,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It probably has to do with most of the members here living in America. In turn, that means most of the media headlines they're exposed to are related to American matters. Most people talk about things happening in (no surprise) their own country. Unless it's a huge ordeal that has an obvious effect on American matters, everything else won't get much coverage.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
One thing I've noticed on these forums is that there seems to be quite a bit of fascination with American Politics from people from other nations, yet politics from other nations doesn't get nearly as much attention.

For example, I hardly see anyone discussing foreign matters (unless it's to use to compare to the US), the international politics rarely has any action, and the general political discussion forum often is just an extension of the American politics forum.

Why is this?

It seems like several first-world nations have similar issues to what we have (partisan legislatures, national debt issues, etc...).

It's pretty common for a thread to be started when an obscure US congressman makes just the slightest off-putting comment, there are 5 threads started about it within a day...yet when Mayor Rob Ford (Toronto) gets caught smoking crack by undercover cops...didn't see a whole lotta chatter about it on the forums.

Is it just simply because the US is in a position where we're in the spotlight more often?

I actually find most of American politics to be dull especially when compared to political theory and even the politics of other countries. There are some instances when it can be interesting especially at the local level, though.

American Politics is a popular subforum because most people on CF are in the US I believe. I wish there was more general talk about other countries' politics for the sake of variety of discussion, but I think folks might get confused as to why the right-wing parties in some countries are supportive of universal healthcare ;). Also, proportional representation is much more interesting than first past the post (not to mention that it's a better election system in general).

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As much GDP as all of the Euro combined. As much military spending as rest of world combined. Love, hate, or indifferent, you would pay attention. Same with middle east and their shennigans, but for different reasons (train wreck, you can't look away).

Reactions: scraparcs
Upvote 0

J.B.

Apr 9, 2010
California
✟8,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
As an American citizen, I believe that the political events of other nations are very interesting, even largely more interesting than the events of my own land. I believe that the United States has been deteriorating since decades ago, if not since around a century ago. The European Union is one particular aspect of foreign politics that fascinates me, yet I despise it. I passionately long for it's dissolution, and knowingly by possibly wiser European nations in the near future. I want the European nations to reduce their acceptance of immigration, especially from countries that have very little in common with European culture and the predominant Christian faith that is still at least nominally occupies a special place in the hearts of European lands. One solution is to have each nation of the EU severely limit immigration to a quota of around 5000 people per year. As one may know from my message, I am heavily fascinated by Europe. The other continents are also hosts to interesting, and often turbulent events. Israel is a more interesting country for me to read about and follow political developments now, rather than the United States. The 21st century is a dark one, and I believe that a new World War is inevitable.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If I'm honest, Republicans seem crazy to me, so it's interesting. I disagree with the Conservative party in the UK, but I find them to be more respectable.

Plus most people here are American, and the US has a greater effect on us.

Upvote 0

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
Paradoxum makes a good point. It's hard not to stare at a train wreck.

Also, just think about it for a second,
If this was a French language forum with thousands of posters, I'm sure the French Politics section would be hopping too.
Hopefully, no one would start a thread wondering why the politics of other countries didn't get as much attention ;)

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If I'm honest, Republicans seem crazy to me, so it's interesting. I disagree with the Conservative party in the UK, but I find them to be more respectable.

Plus most people here are American, and the US has a greater effect on us.

I think your statement is too much of a broad brush. The terms "republicans" and "democrats" house a wide variety of people.

Are you basing your view of "republicans" off of actual American republicans you've had interactions with? Or basing that off of what certain media outlets convey and your interactions on forums like this one?
(the reason I ask is because certain media outlets will paint a false picture and interaction on forums tends to expose you to the extremes of the spectrum)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think your statement is too much of a broad brush. The terms "republicans" and "democrats" house a wide variety of people.

Are you basing your view of "republicans" off of actual American republicans you've had interactions with? Or basing that off of what certain media outlets convey and your interactions on forums like this one?
(the reason I ask is because certain media outlets will paint a false picture and interaction on forums tends to expose you to the extremes of the spectrum)

Much of the media tries to paint Republicans as well as Conservative in general as a bunch of crazies because much of the media is made up of far-left liberals.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Much of the media tries to paint Republicans as well as Conservative in general as a bunch of crazies because much of the media is made up of far-left liberals.

There are some conservative Republican crazies out there, and they make for great media coverage no matter the media slant.

I'd like to see a few more liberal Democratic crazies covered too, they're as fun as the right wing crazies when you give them a platform.

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are some conservative Republican crazies out there, and they make for great media coverage no matter the media slant.

I'd like to see a few more liberal Democratic crazies covered too, they're as fun as the right wing crazies when you give them a platform.

Uh have you checked MSNBC lately, or better called MSLSD.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Uh have you checked MSNBC lately, or better called MSLSD.

No, can't take that many liberal talking heads. I've taught myself to tolerate Fox News for an hour or so at a time, but I don't really want to teach myself to tolerate MSNBC also.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Well, there is exposure to far-left liberal crazies out there in the media (Michael Moore, Piers Morgan, and others have all had their fair share of exposure), however, I don't think the primary media companies are responsible 100% for that type of thinking, I think secondary media has just as much impact.

What I mean by that is when a far right crazy does something, not only do the far left media outlets draw attention to it, but secondary media forms (like celebrities, comedy shows (like the daily show), etc...) all draw attention to it as well. For example, if Fox botches something or Nugent does something that some people find wacky, not only does MSNBC cover it, you see it put in a comedic light on shows like the daily show or SNL.

However, those secondary media outlets seem to give the liberal media outlets a pass on such matters.

The only liberal leaning show that I've seen that's actually called out other liberals is Real Time with Maher.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think a lot of other countries, even if they won't admit it, still look to America for strength and leadership. What we do affects people all over the world, so it makes sense that what happens here would be of some interest. We're expected to get involved and do what needs to be done.

That being said, I do enjoy watching British parliament. At least they'll insult each other face to face. ;)

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Paradoxum makes a good point. It's hard not to stare at a train wreck.

Also, just think about it for a second,
If this was a French language forum with thousands of posters, I'm sure the French Politics section would be hopping too.
Hopefully, no one would start a thread wondering why the politics of other countries didn't get as much attention ;)

:thumbsup:

The Republican party is crazy to me. There might be a few representatives and members you are reasonable centre-right people, but the party in general is crazy in my opinion.

I live in the UK... I only know about Republicans from the internet (including obvious liberally biased media).

I understand I might not have a completely fair view, so feel free to correct me. That said, which party is more likely to be deny global warming, want creationism taught in science classes, be against gay marriage, and want to force their religion on others?

What crazy things do most Democrats (including their representatives) agree with?

By the way I can understand people being centre-right... my main problem is with conservatives (light tyranny of the majority), and anti-intellectuals.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The only liberal leaning show that I've seen that's actually called out other liberals is Real Time with Maher.

I don't agree with everything Bill Maher says, but I like him. I've been trying to find his new rules for last friday. :s

I think a lot of other countries, even if they won't admit it, still look to America for strength and leadership. What we do affects people all over the world, so it makes sense that what happens here would be of some interest. We're expected to get involved and do what needs to be done.

That being said, I do enjoy watching British parliament. At least they'll insult each other face to face. ;)

I agree that what American does affects us, since it's the largest liberal developed democracy.

Upvote 0