Why I'm not a young earth creationist...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,478.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
But how do you (or they) know that the timescale (the 40,000 years) that they say Mt. St. Helens is; is accurate? They don't know that; because they have no way of testing how "old" magma is.
Because I have studied dating techniques, geochemistry, vucanology and other relevant disciplines and have confidence, based upon the evidence, that these have a high degree of reliability.

They make assumption using something like carbon 14 dating after it's erupted and cooled; but how much does the process of molting rock change the elemental composition of that rock? They can't answer that.
I am pleased you said "something like carbon 14 dating", since you seemingly understand that C14 dating would be inappropriate in dating volcanic rocks. (Though we could use it for dating any sedimentary layers, with organic matter, that were deposited between lava flows.)

We can answer and have answered the effect of melting upon rocks. The work began seriously over a century ago with research by Bowen at the National Physical Laboratory and has continued, expanded, diversified and grown ever more sophisticated every since. Consequently we know
  • The order in which minerals precipitate out of a wide variety of magma types
  • The way in which elements are partitioned between the minerals
  • The change in the composition of the melt as those minerals crystalise
  • The change of chemical stability of each element with changes of melt composition and temperature
  • The effect of removal of crystals by sinking, or rising in the melt because of density contrasts
  • The extent and nature of post solidification changes upon minerals that are no longer stable
  • The extent and nature of zoning in crystals that have grown across a changing range of melt composition and temperature.
And that is only a summary of some of the major points. So your suspicion that geologists cannot answer the question is simply wrong. Completely, utterly, definitively wrong.

If you feel inclined to address these points I'll respond and then move onto the other erroneous views in your post. I hope you will use this as an opportunity to learn, not to pontificate areas you are clearly not well educated in.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟874,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What makes you think that you personally have the
ability to actually know exactly what is the word
of God, and infallibly interpret it?

Don't try to speak for science when
you have no idea at all what you are
talking about.
It never goes well.

What makes me think I can understand what is plainly written? I can read, that’s what.

What exactly did I say about science? That science indicates that the earth is older than 6,000 years? I think that is indisputable and the very position that you yourself hold. So stop being such a jerk about it.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟874,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not convinced that Scripture says the earth is only 6000 years old though.

There are different ways of calculating the genealogies than what Usher said. If you line up the patriarchs "end on end" except where you see "and called his name" than you get an earth that's a little more than 13000 years old.

Which also makes more sense to history and what we know of accuracy / "reliability" (or not) of scientific dating. There's a lot of ways to date stuff; (not just carbon 14; which has it's own issues).

I certainly agree that God is capable of suspending laws that govern the cosmos; but I also don't believe God "made something look" other than what it is. That's why I say the issue isn't the evidence; it's the interoperation there of.

"Suppress the truth in unrighteousness" is a very real phenomenon. I mean look at the news. Look at politics. Even look at recorded history. How much of what we're told happened in WWI, WWII, Vietnam, 9/11 etc; that they say happened didn't really happen.

Evil is real and so are lies. It's not always as simple as one person's interoperation against another's. Yeah, honest mistakes happen; but not all withholding of information is so benign.

And God doesn't lie. So there is a distinct line between for example how God wrote Scripture with the requirement of human diligence to "know these things are so" (I.E. the Berean searchers!) To make one dig to find the answer is not the same as lying.

So yeah, there's a degree of parable in the Bible; but God being deceptive is not in His character.

I don’t see it as deception when He plainly told us what took place.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟147,404.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
What makes me think I can understand what is plainly written? I can read, that’s what.

What exactly did I say about science? That science indicates that the earth is older than 6,000 years? I think that is indisputable and the very position that you yourself hold. So stop being such a jerk about it.
Now now, name calling is uncalled for and possibly illegal.
For where I misunderstood you I apologize.

However, you did say the earth looks older than it
is, and identified reasons the omni would perp
this deception, based, on what?

As for understanding what is plainly written we find
Jesus to be an artiodactyl, and the value of Pi to be

If the Bible were plain in its meaning
there might not be 30 or 40 thousand
competing sects.

So I don't see where my comments were
off base.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well OK. I'm female too and I'm 50; so are you actually older than me?

Yes I am, I checked your profile before I posted. But shh a lady shouldn't tell her age which is why I keep mine undisclosed. ^_^

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By publicly expressing your views on a discussion forum you implicilty invite other members to reply to you. If you were unaware of that, you are now duly informed. (No need to thank me. :))

Well you can if you want, although it's pretty pointless since I won't be debating science with you. I don't post over here very often because people simply can't accept that other folks have different views.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yes I am, I checked your profile before I posted. But shh a lady shouldn't tell her age which is why I keep mine undisclosed. ^_^

LOL - that's OK - I don't care that people know how old I am.

• Friendly
Reactions: coffee4u
Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,216,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
ADMIN HAT ON
241636_9f4a3046555e3431f8a087b68dbce899_thumb.jpg

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.