✟31,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Happy Easter! He is Risen! :blacksunrays:

If you've been following my other musings the past couple days, you probably know a little of what I'm going through... how I'm questioning my Protestant heritage, and struggling with how to read Church history and remain a Protestant. If you're new to me, hi -- a little about me: I was raised in a small, conservative Southern Baptist church where my family has a long tradition. I love my church, because I love my family, but I've made the mistake, maybe, of reading too much history, and now I'm having some serious questions about Protestantism. You may all think I'm really down on Protestantism, but I'm really not. So I wanted to make this post to try to give a more balanced picture of where I'm at. (This proved to be longer than I expected, so at risk of ending up with unbalanced audiences, I may wait until another post to tell in detail why I feel drawn to more apostolic forms of faith.)

What I love about Protestantism (by which I mean my Baptist Evangelicalism)
  • The simplicity. Honestly, reading about Catholicism, Orthodoxy, Lutheranism, even Calvinism -- it's really complicated! A lot of hard, confusing, and even troubling things. Growing up I can just open my Bible and read and understand (though often, when I don't understand, my eyes just glaze over and I say, "Okay, God") ... and go to church and love one another and live my faith and everything is fine. All I have to do is have faith ... no other expectations really.
  • The worship. I go to a little tiny church, with traditional worship, but I love our hymns and singing together. But I also, just recently, am getting to contemporary worship music on Internet radio, like Chris Tomlin and Crowder and Matt Maher and Jeremy Camp and Bethel Music and Hillsong. And it seems like that's a mostly Protestant thing?
  • My own history. I complain sometimes about the history of the Protestant Reformation (which I'll do more below), but my own history is something I love. It's the history of how faithful pioneers came to the hills of North Alabama and founded a church. There are a lot of regaling tales of early ministers, early church minutes to peruse, and especially my own family history -- the histories of my church and my family are largely intertwined for like 6 or 7 generations.
  • The people. I love the people -- because they are my family, my friends, my loved ones.
  • The belonging. Because this is my church, I am her daughter -- I belong and am accepted and have a place. I can minister (I teach V.B.S., among other things) and really feel I am serving.
What I don't like about [my] Protestantism (or, why I'm having problems)
Over the past few years, as I've gotten deep in studying Church history and theology and languages and read a lot on my own, I've gradually grown more discontent. This lays out my basic problems.

• Lack of historical foundation. This may be more a problem of my own upbringing than of Protestantism in general, I don't know -- but I feel disconnected from history. Before I started high school, I knew almost nothing about the history of Christianity. Just Bible stories, then BAM! Martin Luther is nailing something to the door! And POW! The church comes to Alabama! There were anecdotes scattered here and there in sermons about "great Christians"... Luther, Calvin, Spurgeon, maybe a few others... but these were disconnected dots on a blank sea. And I really didn't realize how empty it was, until I opened a book and saw everything that was there.
  • Lack of theological rigor. Growing up, I don't think I ever heard the word theology. My Church taught the Bible and the Bible alone, just the Gospel and that's all. I didn't understand until much later (I was homeschooled and didn't have any friends outside my immediate community until high school) that there is more than one way of understanding the Bible and the Gospel. At first I was floored. Then I started studying theology and languages, and the idea that different people could have different interpretations made more sense. I discovered that my church lives in a sort of quasi-Calvinist-Armenian limbo. Preachers can appeal to either, but avoid the objectionable points of both. But the bottom line is, there's no rigor. Our theology is a wet noodle. And maybe that's okay? But it feels very intellectually unsatisfying.
  • Fascination with the Early Church. As I said previously, when I read the New Testament growing up, it was mostly with a confirmation bias, seeing in it a vision of my own church experience. It wasn't until I started reading excerpts of the Church Fathers that I started to get the feeling that this doesn't actually look anything like my church. And let's not get distracted by arguments about sola scriptura or relying on Scripture -- it really doesn't. Whether you believe this is because the post-Apostolic Church quickly fell away from the truth of the faith, or because our modern tradition is just a really long way from the second century -- it really doesn't.

What I admire about the Early Church is more than just the visible things like the liturgy, the way they have church (which you can see in early writers like the Didache and Justin Martyr) -- it's an overall feeling. In our modern Christianity -- especially once you get outside the walls of my little church -- there's a lot of disagreement about faith and practice, what to believe and do; a lot of argument about interpretation of Scripture; a lot of divisions and numerous different denominations. And that's just not what I see in the Early Church. Sure, eventually there were doctrinal questions and crises and schisms, and even in the second century there were heresies -- but to the orthodox faith (and yes, I think that's something that can be objectively seen, not just something that is decided by the victor), there was unity and certainty. These people were sure in what they had been taught, by people who knew or had been taught by the Apostles. And when there was a controversy with these heretics (I'm reading Ignatius and Irenaeus here), they didn't appeal to "Scripture alone" and argument over interpretation, they appealed first to the authority of the bishop, and his agreement with every other bishop in what had been received from the Apostles.

And all of this is getting long, but it's just to say that I admire that certainty of orthodoxy.
  • Disillusionment with the Protestant Reformation. And I got to the Protestant Reformation in history, and rather than finding the glorious scenes of Martin Luther rediscovering the true Gospel from corruption and restoring the true faith, I was appalled. I had grown to like the Catholic Church, with all the popes and monks and saints -- not that I necessarily agreed with it, but I liked it. So I was disappointed, first, that things in that were becoming corrupted. But it still seemed like a good thing that could be fixed, right? Of course I knew that wasn't where it was going...

And then the Reformation very quickly got ugly. Luther calling the pope "antichrist," everybody writing nasty letters to each other, revolts and people getting killed... And then everybody else starts jumping on board, and it seems like a free-for-all, and political opportunism in a lot of cases more than anything else... And before long, anybody with a beef against the Catholic Church, for any reason, is breaking away and grinding their own axe... And then martyrdoms (murders) on both sides, and wars... Christians killing Christians... And this is not a glorious picture at all. :sob:

And I just think, again and again, to Jesus's prayer "that we all might be One" (John 17:21). And I just think none of this is what Jesus wanted at all.

So this is really long, sorry about that, and more emotional than I really meant for it to be. But this is my heart. Go easy on me, ok? :anguished:

Last edited:

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me that you keep saying "Protestant," when most of the time what you mean (consciously or not) is Southern Baptist!

Then, in order to improve upon that, you idealize the opposite extreme--Roman Catholicism or Orthodoxy.

It is not as though you are the first person to go down that road, but try correcting this approach and see how the lay of the land looks then! :) Think about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you've been following my other musings the past couple days, you probably know a little of what I'm going through... how I'm questioning my Protestant heritage, and struggling with how to read Church history and remain a Protestant. If you're new to me, hi -- a little about me: I was raised in a small, conservative Southern Baptist church where my family has a long tradition. I love my church, because I love my family, but I've made the mistake, maybe, of reading too much history, and now I'm having some serious questions about Protestantism. You may all think I'm really down on Protestantism, but I'm really not. So I wanted to make this post to try to give a more balanced picture of where I'm at. (This proved to be longer than I expected, so at risk of ending up with unbalanced audiences, I may wait until another post to tell in detail why I feel drawn to more apostolic forms of faith.)

• The simplicity. Honestly, reading about Catholicism, Orthodoxy, Lutheranism, even Calvinism -- it's really complicated! A lot of hard, confusing, and even troubling things. Growing up I can just open my Bible and read and understand (though often, when I don't understand, my eyes just glaze over and I say, "Okay, God") ... and go to church and love one another and live my faith and everything is fine. All I have to do is have faith ... no other expectations really.
  • The worship. I go to a little tiny church, with traditional worship, but I love our hymns and singing together. But I also, just recently, am getting to contemporary worship music on Internet radio, like Chris Tomlin and Crowder and Matt Maher and Jeremy Camp and Bethel Music and Hillsong. And it seems like that's a mostly Protestant thing?
  • My own history. I complain sometimes about the history of the Protestant Reformation (which I'll do more below), but my own history is something I love. It's the history of how faithful pioneers came to the hills of North Alabama and founded a church. There are a lot of regaling tales of early ministers, early church minutes to peruse, and especially my own family history -- the histories of my church and my family are largely intertwined for like 6 or 7 generations.
  • The people. I love the people -- because they are my family, my friends, my loved ones.
  • The belonging. Because this is my church, I am her daughter -- I belong and am accepted and have a place. I can minister (I teach V.B.S., among other things) and really feel I am serving.
Over the past few years, as I've gotten deep in studying Church history and theology and languages and read a lot on my own, I've gradually grown more discontent. This lays out my basic problems.

• Lack of historical foundation. This may be more a problem of my own upbringing than of Protestantism in general, I don't know -- but I feel disconnected from history. Before I started high school, I knew almost nothing about the history of Christianity. Just Bible stories, then BAM! Martin Luther is nailing something to the door! And POW! The church comes to Alabama! There were anecdotes scattered here and there in sermons about "great Christians"... Luther, Calvin, Spurgeon, maybe a few others... but these were disconnected dots on a blank sea. And I really didn't realize how empty it was, until I opened a book and saw everything that was there.
  • Lack of theological rigor. Growing up, I don't think I ever heard the word theology. My Church taught the Bible and the Bible alone, just the Gospel and that's all. I didn't understand until much later (I was homeschooled and didn't have any friends outside my immediate community until high school) that there is more than one way of understanding the Bible and the Gospel. At first I was floored. Then I started studying theology and languages, and the idea that different people could have different interpretations made more sense. I discovered that my church lives in a sort of quasi-Calvinist-Armenian limbo. Preachers can appeal to either, but avoid the objectionable points of both. But the bottom line is, there's no rigor. Our theology is a wet noodle. And maybe that's okay? But it feels very intellectually unsatisfying.
  • Fascination with the Early Church. As I said previously, when I read the New Testament growing up, it was mostly with a confirmation bias, seeing in it a vision of my own church experience. It wasn't until I started reading excerpts of the Church Fathers that I started to get the feeling that this doesn't actually look anything like my church. And let's not get distracted by arguments about sola scriptura or relying on Scripture -- it really doesn't. Whether you believe this is because the post-Apostolic Church quickly fell away from the truth of the faith, or because our modern tradition is just a really long way from the second century -- it really doesn't.

What I admire about the Early Church is more than just the visible things like the liturgy, the way the have church (which you can see in early writers like the Didache and Justin Martyr) -- it's an overall feeling. In our modern Christianity -- especially once you get outside the walls of my little church -- there's a lot of disagreement about faith and practice, what to believe and do; a lot of argument about interpretation of Scripture; a lot of divisions and numerous different denominations. And that's just not what I see in the Early Church. Sure, eventually there were doctrinal questions and crises and schisms, and even in the second century there were heresies -- but to the orthodox faith (and yes, I think that's something that can be objectively seen, not just something that is decided by the victor), there was unity and certainty. These people were sure in what they had been taught, by people who knew or had been taught by the Apostles. And when there was a controversy with these heretics (I'm reading Ignatius and Irenaeus here), they didn't appeal to "Scripture alone" and argument over interpretation, they appealed first to the authority of the bishop, and his agreement with every other bishop in what had been received from the Apostles.

And all of this is getting long, but it's just to say that I admire that certainty of orthodoxy.
  • Disillusionment with the Protestant Reformation. And I got to the Protestant Reformation in history, and rather than finding the glorious scenes of Martin Luther rediscovering the true Gospel from corruption and restoring the true faith, I was appalled. I had grown to like the Catholic Church, with all the popes and monks and saints -- not that I necessarily agreed with it, but I liked it. So I was disappointed, first, that things in that were becoming corrupted. But it still seemed like a good thing that could be fixed, right? Of course I knew that wasn't where it was going...

And then the Reformation very quickly got ugly. Luther calling the pope "antichrist," everybody writing nasty letters to each other, revolts and people getting killed... And then everybody else starts jumping on board, and it seems like a free-for-all, and political opportunism in a lot of cases more than anything else... And before long, anybody with a beef against the Catholic Church, for any reason, is breaking away and grinding their own axe... And then martyrdoms (murders) on both sides, and wars... Christians killing Christians... And this is not a glorious picture at all. :sob:

And I just think, again and again, to Jesus's prayer "that we all might be One" (John 17:21). And I just think none of this is what Jesus wanted at all.

So this is really long, sorry about that, and more emotional than I really meant for it to be. But this is my heart. Go easy on me, ok? :anguished:

I remember twenty or so years ago when I first began reading the Church Fathers. The further back I went the more "Catholic" they seemed. I had no idea what to make of it all. I kept peeling the onion until I found the Orthodox Church. It's shocking for a previous southern Baptist who had been raised on "bible alone" to finally discover the meaning of the bible. Even moreso to learn that all those Churches mentioned in the bible still exist.

I remember the day I decided to become Orthodox. It was because of something I had read an Orthodox priest say years earlier about the Revelation. He said, to the effect, "we don't worry about the Revelation". Having a "Left Behind" background I thought at the time it was a ridiculous thing to say. Now, not so much.

That's when I gave up being my own Pope.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I've been on both sides of the divide. Finally I got serious about studying the RCC again. Ultimately I couldn't agree with it on many things. I couldn't revert back to it, the church of my youth, but I did gain an appreciation for Christ being active in it still.

I try not to focus on denominational distinctions, as much as possible anyway. I consider myself a Christian, not a Protestant, because I define myself by Christ, not in what I don't agree with, and I believe in the universal church. As Paul tells Timothy:

Nevertheless the firm foundation of God stands, having this seal: "The Lord knows those being His," and, "Let everyone naming the name of Christ depart from iniquity." -2Tim 2:19​

I guess that might be considered a "wet noodle" of sorts, but it keeps me from endorsing the hard doctrines of man on both sides, which I have so often seen used to bludgeon and stumble people. When the need is there I'll try to drill down on the truth, spiritually ascertained, but generally I try to be inclusive and irenic.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What I admire about the Early Church is more than just the visible things like the liturgy, the way they have church (which you can see in early writers like the Didache and Justin Martyr) -- it's an overall feeling. In our modern Christianity -- especially once you get outside the walls of my little church -- there's a lot of disagreement about faith and practice, what to believe and do; a lot of argument about interpretation of Scripture; a lot of divisions and numerous different denominations. And that's just not what I see in the Early Church. Sure, eventually there were doctrinal questions and crises and schisms, and even in the second century there were heresies -- but to the orthodox faith (and yes, I think that's something that can be objectively seen, not just something that is decided by the victor), there was unity and certainty. These people were sure in what they had been taught, by people who knew or had been taught by the Apostles. And when there was a controversy with these heretics (I'm reading Ignatius and Irenaeus here), they didn't appeal to "Scripture alone" and argument over interpretation, they appealed first to the authority of the bishop, and his agreement with every other bishop in what had been received from the Apostles.

I think you should criticise both "sides" the same amount. Hold them to the same standards. Also be careful, as it says in

Ephesians 4:14 (KJV)
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

not to just let "every wind of doctrine" move you about.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
There are other options. Protestantism inherently implies at least some relationship to the RCC, albeit, a negative one.

There are and always have been believers with zero relationship to Rome, neither RCC or Protestant. Just be one of those and get out of the boxes. Christianity is at its core, individual relationships with the Lord, and these individuals gather to fellowship from time to time. Everything else piled on top of that is designed to divide in one way or another.

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are other options. Protestantism inherently implies at least some relationship to the RCC, albeit, a negative one.

There are and always have been believers with zero relationship to Rome, neither RCC or Protestant. Just be one of those and get out of the boxes. Christianity is at its core, individual relationships with the Lord, and these individuals gather to fellowship from time to time. Everything else piled on top of that is designed to divide in one way or another.
You may be thinking that Calvary Chapel is not a Protestant movement or denomination, but it is Protestant through and through.

Know What Calvary Chapels Believe and Teach

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

He is risen indeed.

Having gone through a type of disillusionment period that tends to leave other people atheists at the end, it's kind of a miracle that I believe at all. Your discontent is rooted in wanting knowledge. It is important to remember in genesis, the first humans were lured into a bad direction with the thought that "something is being kept from you"

In reality, you can find whatever you are looking for in God anywhere, even staying put. If a change of perspective assists in painting the picture of a maturing inner landscape, then it is encouraged. In the end, you may end up coming to the same conclusions ... but then they're your conclusions ... which was the point right?

I tend to be disrupted by the lack of unity in the church as well.

Keep seeking whatever it is you are looking for, the journey, the process, the research .. this is what is valuable. God said in the scripture "why can't I do with you as the potter does with this clay?" constantly being in a state of maturity and growth can be exhausting, but it's kind of where God wants us.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,296.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems to me that you think you bear the "guilt" of European reformation wars, even of some not so polite letters from reformers, their struggles about new/rediscovered biblical theology and on the other hand being in quite disconnected small american baptist church that is not teaching any theology at all.

Reformation was necessary. If you like history, you know what the Catholic church was doing and teaching in the medieval era. Now, when the reformation gave you the freedom, you can use it for your own path in Christianity, freely and without a fear about life. You would not have this freedom without these European wars between Christians. There is no evil that is not needed for a higher good.

"Sola Scriptura" is a historical concept, needed to get freedom from spoiled and greedy bishops, mainly the Roman ones. It does not mean you cannot get any good information from elsewhere.

Also, you must realize that history is not "what should be all the time". Its just "what was". We are making the history for somebody else in the future. The fact that Ignatios or Ireneus wrote something does not mean it must be so also today, in a very different situation we have now. They did not live in a situation where the mainstream Christianity got so spoiled, greedy and worldly as in the medieval era.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Epthediah
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The worship. I go to a little tiny church, with traditional worship, but I love our hymns and singing together. But I also, just recently, am getting to contemporary worship music on Internet radio, like Chris Tomlin and Crowder and Matt Maher and Jeremy Camp and Bethel Music and Hillsong. And it seems like that's a mostly Protestant thing?
Yes and no. Back in the late 1960s and early 70s the Catholic Church started having “guitar masses” with contemporary folk type tunes being used.

Here are a few:

The common thread in contemporary worship music is that it started in Charismatic communities. THe Catholic Charismatics were probably first. (Unless you want to count the gospel choruses in Pentecostal churches in the 50s and 60s) quickly followed by the charismatic Episcopals. Ted Sandquist was in an upstate nondenominational congregation and took the music level up a notch with Phil Keaggy, Nedra Ross (from the Ronnetts) and Dennis Hopper. (Drums behind Janis Joplin) In the Late 70s Maranatha records started transitioning from Jesus Music CCM to contemporary worship. Then in the early 80s Hosannah Integrity started up. All of these were either classical Pentecostal or Charismatic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Don't become Catholic until your discontent is mitigated. People who leave one faith for another out of discontent and anger seem to continue on being discontented and angry. Most Protestants who become Catholic have been very appreciative of their Protestant roots. I think of several such people whom I have known personally, and a whole raft of others I have read about who have lots of good things to say about their Protestant roots. One of many examples would be Scott and Kimberly Hahn. Or anything on 'The Coming Home Network'.

And a rare few who were discontented Protestants and wear that discontentedness on their sleeve still. An example of this is Franky Schaeffer, son of Francis Schaeffer, who became Orthodox and let his discontentedness rip . It was not pretty. Today his beliefs are confused. A sad story.

Your discontent might push you to investigate apostolic Christianity, but do not join up until you have multiple positive reasons to do so, which I see you forming even now, and your discontent is no longer one of the reasons to join. There are great reasons to become an apostolic Christian, so that should be easy enough for you to get there. Don't join out of discontent with where you are. When you can treat it as a positive stepping stone in your journey, then you will be ready.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That sort of thing is much less common in Catholic churches today, though, wouldn't you agree, Dave? It would be unusual to find a guitar Mass in a Catholic church outside college communities or at least the big cities, and even then it is not what's found in many Protestant churches where “contemporary“ worship is the rule.

• Informative
Reactions: Mary Meg
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Forgive my imprecision, but it's what I know. :anguished:
There is a lot more to Protestantism than the. Baptists.

THere’s the Calvinist block
The Lutheran block
The Zwinglian block
THe Anglican/‘Methodist block

All have their distinctives.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Have you looked a step back from the faithful ministers who came to Alabama? Also, please clarify what you mean by opening a book and seeing everything, and seeing emptiness. And if you could, let us know what book. There's plenty of books out there, perhaps another one or five will fill it in.

Well, predestination vs free will has been debated since the days of the Church Fathers themselves. The seminary students and former seminary students I have come into contact with have quite a few justifications for their theological views, even if I believe there is good Biblical evidence against those views. I can't say they don't have theological rigor, even if it is limited (among some bad examples) to sharpening their "ism" to a spearpoint. And there are other views than Calvinism and Arminianism that are orthodox within Protestantism pushed by some very smart people (Dr. William Lane Craig being a famous and easy example of one). Furthermore, no matter what church tradition anyone comes from - Lutheran, Baptist, Anglican, Pentecostal, Catholic, Orthodox - they leave some room for divine mystery. Sometimes, that's the best thing to do.

Remember too, that liturgies and what the church emphasized and how the sacraments were administered changed over hundreds of years. While non-Protestants may appeal to Tradition, remember that the New Testament records Tradition as it was in the first century. Whatever we do must not contradict or displace it. Also, there were bishops who were corrupt as well (Cyril of Alexandria is an ugly example, as is Diotrephes in 3 John). In terms of practice, look into the Old Believers controversy with the Russian Orthodox Church - they were Orthodox, but not immune. When I look at things like that, I find my Protestant faith liberating.

There were some bad things that went down for sure. Luther wrote and preached against some of them. But do look at how the Catholics sanctioned and even requested burning proto-Reformers at the stake in the centuries before Luther as well. They were brutal times with the relationship of politics and religion, no matter who committed the offenses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Of the Kingdom

Nov 26, 2018
Atlanta, Georgia
✟48,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Welcome, Mary. I have been praying that you will come through this time of questioning with your faith in Jesus as the only hope of mankind intact. Whether you remain Baptist, or come to identify with another Protestant group, Catholicism, or an Orthodox church is a minor issue by comparison.

Apparently you have become interested in church history, which I see as a good thing. Many avoid questioning the details and history of their beliefs, because they know or sense that it would make them uncomfortable. Inquiring minds want to understand more, and eventually achieve a deeper understanding because of it. But be careful about sharing too much of your new knowledge with others who prefer, at least at the moment, to remain comfortable with their stereotypes.

I would encourage you to read about the Waldensians and the Anabaptists. Some Baptists claim their faith came from these groups, not from the movements started by Luther and Calvin. Certainly the ideas did influence early Baptists, but the early Baptist founders were more likely Protestants before they accepted these "strange" ideas like believer's baptism and non-violence.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Mary Meg

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2019
Alabama
✟31,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think you should criticise both "sides" the same amount. Hold them to the same standards. Also be careful, as it says in

Ephesians 4:14 (KJV)
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

not to just let "every wind of doctrine" move you about.
Well I'm not sure at this point who the "sides" even are. :confused2: As much as it may seem that way, I don't think I've sided with the Catholic Church... more with the Early Church, the Church of the first and second centuries, which doesn't even really exist anymore.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Jesus Christ is risen. Alleluia.
Much of this 'praise and worship' music you hear on the radio is Protestant. But then Matt Maher is Catholic. And you can tell by listening closely to his music. And other Catholics make this kind of music too, but don't always get time on Protestant radio stations. Sometimes but not commonly.

Catholics have a lot of music over the years. We have chant, which was basically inherited from Judaism. We invented four part vocal music (polyphony) at Notre Dame Cathedral soon after it was built. Invented the pipe organ. Mozart and Schubert and Haydn works are still used in worship, as is music by William Byrd and Tallis and Tomás Luis de Victoria and Gregorio Allegri, oh, and Palistrina. Then there are hymns, there is even guitar music. We had a classical guitar something or other last night at the Easter Vigil and it was beautiful, but normally we have voice, organ, occasionally some brass or woodwinds, once a harp. No drums, no synthesizer, oboe but no sax yet.

For the most part the 'praise and worship' genre seems fine, yet is likely not going to make a major intrusion into Catholic corporate worship. It has it's place in the life of a Catholic but we have not used any of it for worship in my parish. With a good pipe organ and a superb organist and a rich historical treasury of music, why bother?

Oh, and this one was stolen from the Anglicans. At least the melody and the translation. The words come from a 14th century Latin hymn 'Surrexit Christus hodie":

Upvote 0

Mary Meg

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2019
Alabama
✟31,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes and no. Back in the late 1960s and early 70s the Catholic Church started having “guitar masses” with contemporary folk type tunes being used.
Interesting! I like it! It's very retro but very spiritual and classical... almost operatic.
Ted Sandquist was in an upstate nondenominational congregation and took the music level up a notch with Phil Keaggy, Nedra Ross (from the Ronnetts) and Dennis Hopper. (Drums behind Janis Joplin) In the Late 70s Maranatha records started transitioning from Jesus Music CCM to contemporary worship. Then in the early 80s Hosannah Integrity started up. All of these were either classical Pentecostal or Charismatic.
I've heard of a few of these. Maybe I will check them out. :) Thanks!

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting! I like it! It's very retro but very spiritual and musical... almost operatic.

I've heard of a few of these. Maybe I will check them out. :) Thanks!
You are Most Welcome.

• Friendly
Upvote 0