Isatis

Disciple of Christ
Sep 12, 2011
✟21,193.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When Jesus predicted His death and resurrection for the third time, the implications of His suffering and death were hidden from the disciples untill He was raised from the dead (Luke 24:25-26,44-47)

-- Hiddden from the disciples
Luke 18:31-34 "Then He took the twelve aside and said to them, “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of Man will be accomplished. 32 For He will be delivered to the Gentiles and will be mocked and insulted and spit upon. 33 They will scourge Him and kill Him. And the third day He will rise again.” 34 But they understood none of these things; this saying was hidden from them, and they did not know the things which were spoken.

--The Scriptures opened
Luke 24:44-45 "Then He said to them, “These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me.” 45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures."

Why did Jesus wait till His resurrection to enable His disciples to comprehend the Scriptures?

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
When Jesus predicted His death and resurrection for the third time, the implications of His suffering and death were hidden from the disciples untill He was raised from the dead (Luke 24:25-26,44-47)

-- Hiddden from the disciples
Luke 18:31-34 "Then He took the twelve aside and said to them, “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of Man will be accomplished. 32 For He will be delivered to the Gentiles and will be mocked and insulted and spit upon. 33 They will scourge Him and kill Him. And the third day He will rise again.” 34 But they understood none of these things; this saying was hidden from them, and they did not know the things which were spoken.

--The Scriptures opened
Luke 24:44-45 "Then He said to them, “These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me.” 45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures."

Why did Jesus wait till His resurrection to enable His disciples to comprehend the Scriptures?

Hi Isatis, this is pure conjecture on my part (as the 'reason' that the Lord waited to open their minds and hearts to all of this is not made clear), but here are a couple of possibilities:
1) It was an act of mercy/kindness on the Lord's part (to keep them from living with the grief that knowledge would bring until they had the joy of the Resurrection to accompany it).
2) He wanted to make sure that He didn't have a small army of disciples trying to stop what was about to (and needed to) happen to Him (just like Peter did in the Garden when they came to arrest Him).​
Again, please remember that these are only guesses.

--David

Upvote 0