Why has Star Trek ruined Science Fiction?

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,856.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
star trek hasn't ruined anything but itself, however as a whole it does a much better job than many others.
I suggest watching the old series, next generation, and deep space nine.

I think some people discount Star Trek because it does a good job of preaching without being preachy.

Since we are on Christian Forums I'll mention the one with an ancient Rome that never fell and had 'Sun' worshipers. Oops I mean Son.

Or how about the episode witht he half black and half white guys who were still fighting after both their races had otherwise been wiped out. Remember that one where I doubt any of us noticed one was black on the right side and the other on the left, but that racial difference that we viewers missed made all the difference to them?

Of course not all episodes have great points like these. Gut there are more than enough.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2010
Virginia, USA
✟7,705.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think some people discount Star Trek because it does a good job of preaching without being preachy.

Since we are on Christian Forums I'll mention the one with an ancient Rome that never fell and had 'Sun' worshipers. Oops I mean Son.

Or how about the episode witht he half black and half white guys who were still fighting after both their races had otherwise been wiped out. Remember that one where I doubt any of us noticed one was black on the right side and the other on the left, but that racial difference that we viewers missed made all the difference to them?

Of course not all episodes have great points like these. Gut there are more than enough.

I can see where it had some good plot elements; even Harlan Ellison (who I have mentioned earlier) had written what was the most popular episode ever with "The City on the Edge of Forerver," which had some excellent points. I just think that when compare to things like Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, it doesn't hold up that well. This is just my opinion--tomatoes versus oranges kind of stuff.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2010
Virginia, USA
✟7,705.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
"H.P. Lovecraft"

The Satan worshipper? Good grief, the movies based on his novels are so sickening how could any believer in Christ enjoy them?

One, Lovecraft didn't worship Satan; he didn't believe in worshipping any form of god (if you consider that worshipping Satan, then that is a different matter). Also, I find that if one reads works of opposing viewpoints along with those that coincide with our own, we can better grow in making a case for our side in an argument or debate setting.

Besides, good literature, and even good science fiction, has a chief goal of entertaining and making you think about the condition of humanity.

Upvote 0

Gawron

Apr 24, 2008
✟5,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been a life long Star Trek fan and have always been interested in discussing the show. I can't recall if I posted a link to this elsewhere here, but for those of you interested, I have written about The Original Series at length on another website, and invite any interested to read it.

Star Trek The Original Series, The Best and Worst Of:

Star Trek, The Best and Worst Of.... - Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History

If anyone does read over it thanks for doing so, and comments are welcome.

Upvote 0