Why Easter seems less celebrated than Christmas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What's Christmas? I only know the Lord's Day as the only holiday.

Ummm... going by your location and your fluency in English, you quite obviously DO know what Christmas is, and indeed Easter, so there's no need to be disingenuous about it. As a few people have already said here, the whole "Easter is pagan, Christmas is pagan, real Christians don't celebrate them" hoo-ha is completely false. It's been gone through over and over in many discussions in these forums, actually.

If you choose not to celebrate those days, that's fine — the way you practise your faith is between you and God (and that goes for everyone). But concluding that this makes you superior to the 99.9% of Christians who do celebrate our Lord's birth and resurrection, because you have the "real" truth and they don't (which is certainly the impression you're giving)... mate, that's really not cool. o_O

Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Really? The Resurrection is "pagan?"

The resurrection is related to Passover. The word Easter does not exist in the manuscripts. It was put in place of Passover. What part of the resurrection does eggs and rabbits have a part of? I ask because they are pagan fertility symbols and related to Ishtar worship, a fertility goddess. The word Easter comes from the name Ishtar.

Act_12:4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

This is a bad translation.

G3957
pa´s?a
pascha
pas'-khah
Of Chaldee origin (compare [H6453]); the Passover (the meal, the day, the festival or the special sacrifices connected with it)

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ummm... going by your location and your fluency in English, you quite obviously DO know what Christmas is, and indeed Easter, so there's no need to be disingenuous about it. As a few people have already said here, the whole "Easter is pagan, Christmas is pagan, real Christians don't celebrate them" hoo-ha is completely false. It's been gone through over and over in many discussions in these forums, actually.

If you choose not to celebrate those days, that's fine — the way you practise your faith is between you and God (and that goes for everyone). But concluding that this makes you superior to the 99.9% of Christians who do celebrate our Lord's birth and resurrection, because you have the "real" truth and they don't (which is certainly the impression you're giving)... mate, that's really not cool. o_O

Oh, I don't care about whether Christmas has a pagan origin or not. My problem is that people assume we must celebrate Christmas when it doesn't exist anywhere in Scripture.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't seem to find a feast day celebrating Christ's birth anywhere in Scripture. Please help me?

We don't have to have Scriptural permission to celebrate the birth of our Saviour. All heaven rejoiced when he was born and an angelic choir dispatched to tell the shepherds.
What's wrong with us celebrating his birth too?

Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh, I don't care about whether they have pagan origins or not. My problem is that people assume we must celebrate Christmas when it doesn't exist anywhere in Scripture.

There were several threads with this worn-out debate last Christmas. Maybe you missed them? :)

Incidentally, motor vehicles, computers and the internet, and indeed the United States of America don't exist anywhere in Scripture either. Perhaps we'd better keep away from those too...

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
We don't have to have Scriptural permission to celebrate the birth of our Saviour. All heaven rejoiced when he was born and an angelic choir dispatched to tell the shepherds.
What's wrong with us celebrating his birth too?

What's wrong with celebrating it everyday? Why must I be slammed for believing December 25 is a meaningless day, and should be treated like any other day. Secularizing Christmas? Doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, I don't care about whether Christmas has a pagan origin or not. My problem is that people assume we must celebrate Christmas when it doesn't exist anywhere in Scripture.

The word doesn't exist but giving presents because of Christ's birth is scriptural. Christmas is about remembering that by giving gifts to loved ones since we can't go and give gifts to the baby Jesus.

Mat 2:1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
Mat 2:2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
Mat 2:3 When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
Mat 2:4 And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.
Mat 2:5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,
Mat 2:6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.
Mat 2:7 Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared.
Mat 2:8 And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.
Mat 2:9 When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.
Mat 2:10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.
Mat 2:11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The resurrection is related to Passover. The word Easter does not exist in the manuscripts. It was put in place of Passover. What part of the resurrection does eggs and rabbits have a part of? I ask because they are pagan fertility symbols and related to Ishtar worship, a fertility goddess. The word Easter comes from the name Ishtar.

Act_12:4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

G3957
pa´s?a
pascha
pas'-khah
Of Chaldee origin (compare [H6453]); the Passover (the meal, the day, the festival or the special sacrifices connected with it)
If you think good honest Christians are worshipping Ishtar and having pagan orgies because of a few colored eggs and a fictitious rabbit, then you have MUCH BIGGER problems than calling Yom ha Bikkurim “Easter.”

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What's wrong with celebrating it everyday?

Some of us do.

Why must I be slammed for believing December 25 is a meaningless day, and should be treated like any other day.

You shouldn't.
Neither should others be slammed for wanting to celebrate his birth on that day.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some will find a way a reason to celebrate the birth of Christ and when He rose. Some will not. Man did not make the stars..nor the days. What some man did has no power over the GOD that made all this. Some will give man that power. Believing God must now bow to mans power.

A GOD came to this earth and took the SINS of the world. This is not something you shout scream cry rejoice in one day and .. ah its over now.. move on. A GOD became His creation to save ALL! Theres no time in heaven. So one day is like a thousand years and a thousands years like one day. So.. to God it can still be only just a tad over 2 days.

You keep acting talking like man of this world. We are not of this world. Its not our home. There is no past in heaven. Every day I am so humbled and so thankful that He came and died. Then ROSE! Holy JESUS! Did we not read what the holy Spirit said through PAUL about that? What that means to each one that believes?

And ..just shocking some NEED a reason to rejoice to celebrate Christ came died and rose? "well its not in the bible so.. ". Is this all He means to you? If you ever read when I post you see why I ask I say "JESUS IS REAL". I really believe we must ask some "do you really believe in Jesus?" Do you not have this JOY in you that wont end..never goes away. Where you just want to praise HIM forever and ever and ever. There are angels that just sing His praises.. that WANT TO! Dont have to.. they WANT TO! Forever.

Really? Before Christ Psalms alone..not other book.. I stopped at just 15 verses..there are SO many about exalted, sing and praise and joyfully His loving kindness.. on and on. I know some will try to say..its not about worship or singing...yet its all the same. Its HIM! There are so many things not written that go inline not against the word of God. And again "I dont see where we are to celebrate or remember He came died for the world or when He rose". <---this just begs.. do you really believe in Him know Him? Hes a GOD made His home IN YOU! Is that not enough to celebrate rejoice praise Him every day every moment you live?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm confused.

I saw this thread, and I responded to it. Are you telling me I should not have?

Not at all. I was just pointing out that there are better and more convincing ways to make a point than bore obviously faking cluelessness. And that the OP isn't asking whether or not Christians should celebrate Christmas, anyway.

As others have already said, you shouldn't be slammed for not celebrating Christmas (and, I assume, Easter). Neither should other Christians be slammed if they do celebrate. And that includes point-scoring (on both sides!) of the "I'm a REAL Christian and you're not" kind. That's all. :)

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not at all. I was just pointing out that there are better and more convincing ways to make a point than bore obviously faking cluelessness. And that the OP isn't asking whether or not Christians should celebrate Christmas, anyway.

As others have already said, you shouldn't be slammed for not celebrating Christmas (and, I assume, Easter). Neither should other Christians be slammed if they do celebrate. And that includes point-scoring (on both sides!) of the "I'm a REAL Christian and you're not" kind. That's all. :)

If I had wanted to say "you're not a Christian if you celebrate such and such," I would have clearly said that. Don't categorize me with those guys, thank you.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

G3957
pa´s?a
pascha
pas'-khah

Countries who derive the word Easter from the month equivalent to April (Eostremonat)
  • English - Easter
  • German - Ostern
Names derived from the Hebrew Pesach (Passover):

• Latin - Pascha or Festa Paschalia
  • Greek - Paskha
  • Bulgarian - Paskha
  • Danish - Paaske
  • Dutch - Pasen
  • Finnish - Pääsiäinen
  • French - Pâques
  • Indonesian - Paskah
  • Irish - Cáisc
  • Italian - Pasqua
  • Lower Rhine German - Paisken
  • Norwegian - Påske
  • Portuguese - Páscoa
  • Romanian - Pasti
  • Russian - Paskha
  • Scottish Gaelic - Càisg
  • Spanish - Pascua
  • Swedish - Påsk
  • Welsh - Pasg
Additional Names used in other languages:

• Bulgarian - Velikden (literally: the Grand Day)
  • Polish - Wielkanoc (literally: the Grand Night)
  • Czech - Velikonoce (plural, no singular exists; made from Grand Nights)
  • Slovak - Velká Noc (singular; literally: the Grand Night)
  • Serbian - Uskrs or Vaskrs (literally: resurrection)
  • Japanese - Fukkatsu-sai (lit. resurrection festival)

English and German are practically the only two languages that you can push the Ishtar or Eostre goddess derivative. Most are derived from Pesach (Hebrew) or Pascha (Greek). Some others have descriptive names completely unrelated to the goddess Eostre or Ishtar (such as Resurrection Day).

(FWIW, Orthodox still call it Pascha in English.)

Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I had said "you're not a Christian if you celebrate such and such," I would have clearly said that. Don't categorize me with those guys, thank you.

Well, that's good to know and I'm sorry for misjudging you. It's just that your "What's Christmas?" question (pretending to be innocent when it patently isn't) and other subsequent comments don't exactly paint you in a good light. They heavily imply you didn't come here to discuss the OP, but to show off the fact that you choose not to celebrate Christmas, which isn't the topic of the thread at all. There's no logical reason for doing that except to not-so-subtly assert your superiority over Christians who do celebrate Christmas. And there's no logical reason for doing that except personal ego. Which is very sad.

Now how about we get back on topic?? :confused:

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Names derived from the Hebrew Pesach (Passover):

• Latin - Pascha or Festa Paschalia
  • Greek - Paskha
  • Bulgarian - Paskha
  • Danish - Paaske
  • Dutch - Pasen
  • Finnish - Pääsiäinen
  • French - Pâques
  • Indonesian - Paskah
  • Irish - Cáisc
  • Italian - Pasqua
  • Lower Rhine German - Paisken
  • Norwegian - Påske
  • Portuguese - Páscoa
  • Romanian - Pasti
  • Russian - Paskha
  • Scottish Gaelic - Càisg
  • Spanish - Pascua
  • Swedish - Påsk
  • Welsh - Pasg

And in Cornish and Breton (very closely related to Welsh) - Pask. I wish we'd call it something like that in English — or else Resurrection Sunday — as well. But regardless of what the festival is called, it celebrates the greatest event in history. He is Risen! That's something we can all agree on, surely. :blacksunrays:

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, that's good to know and I'm sorry for misjudging you. It's just that your "What's Christmas?" question (pretending to be innocent when it patently isn't) and other subsequent comments don't exactly paint you in a good light. They heavily imply you didn't come here to discuss the OP, but to show off the fact that you choose not to celebrate Christmas, which isn't the topic of the thread at all. There's no logical reason for doing that except to not-so-subtly assert your superiority over Christians who do celebrate Christmas. And there's no logical reason for doing that except personal ego. Which is very sad.

Now how about we get back on topic?? :confused:

Like I really care what you think of me, good day.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And in Cornish and Breton (very closely related to Welsh) - Pask. I wish we'd call it something like that in English — or else Resurrection Sunday — as well. But regardless of what the festival is called, it celebrates the greatest event in history. He is Risen! That's something we can all agree on, surely. :blacksunrays:
You could join the English speaking Orthodox Christians in calling it Pascha if you want! :)

I think my parents church (AoG) actually calls it Resurrection Sunday, although they sometimes call it Easter as well.

That said, you are absolutely right - it celebrates the greatest event in history - the resurrection of our Lord and Savior. :)

Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You could join the English speaking Orthodox Christians and call it Pascha if you want! :)

Well, my late grandmother (who was from Belarus) was Russian Orthodox, although she grew up under the Soviet regime and I don't think there was very much religion allowed at all. Anyway, I don't mind too much what it's called, so long as we're free to celebrate that greatest of days as we choose. (Or not, if we choose not to, of course.)

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

johnnywong

Sep 25, 2018
Auckland
✟32,912.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I th
I agree with most of the points other people have given here. I wasn't raised in a liturgical church so I'm not used to anything other than a few special sermons whenever Easter rolls around. I just finished reading N.T Wright's "Surprised by Hope" where he proposed taking Easter more seriously and I'm inclined to agree with him. I think our current secular society (at least Western society) really like sentimental, sweet things, which we often call "wholesome". Even though Jesus is alive and His Spirit is with us, secular society has a harder time wrapping around that then a bright star, some animals, shepherds, "wise men", and angels.

The big thesis of Wright's book was that we act as if the Resurrection was a one-time event that means nothing for the rest of us other than a demonstration of God's power. But it is the moment that He defeated death and we should celebrate that instead of just being somber about it.

I think the theme of Christmas :birth of a new born baby is more digestible to the secular world while that of Easter about the Cross and resurrection is not.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.