Why Easter seems less celebrated than Christmas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have a feeling it will take all week to figure out the who/where/when/why of Easter's origins as a pagan, not Christian, holiday, if people want to argue there is no chance spring festivals began before 33 AD and Christians later changed the meaning of it. Keep an open mind and you should find the information in one day.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So idolatry is okay as long as we slap Jesus on it?
What's idolatrous about commemorating the death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ?

The real problem is that you have never partaken of Orthodox Christian spiritual and Liturgical Life, and so are easily mislead into ignorance of what is really happening in the deep spiritual lives of Orthodox Christians, who commemorate Christ's death and Resurrection every time they partake of the Eucharistic meal, but especially on the feast of all feasts -- Pascha. Orthodox Christians worship the Holy Trinity only. If that makes us guilty of idolatry, then go ahead and lock us up, because we're not going to stop glorifying our Holy God in our great holy day of all holy days!

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a feeling it will take all week to figure out the who/where/when/why of Easter's origins as a pagan, not Christian, holiday, if people want to argue there is no chance spring festivals began before 33 AD and Christians later changed the meaning of it. Keep an open mind and you should find the information in one day.
No one is saying that there weren't spring festivals celebrated by pagans prior to Christianity. Actually, there were other religions wherein there are uncanny similarities with Christian elements and practices. There are, as a matter of fact, common elements in all religions, because all religions serve to provide answers to the important questions that human beings (and human communities) need answers for in order to have a way to order their lives within their respective communities and to provide them with meaning and purpose. Therefore, similarities in religious symbolism and motifs will always be found. But to insist that Christianity is something other than true Christianity just because similarities can be found between it and ancient pagan religions is to ignore very large chunks the historical and spiritual reality of the Christian faith, and results in the fabrication of false claims about God's saints.

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I never said Easter is not a Christian holiday if that is what you mean.
I mean that Pascha never derived from paganism in any way, nor did it come into existence on account of any inclination towards paganism or synchronization with it. In Orthodox Christianity Pascha is strictly about the triumph of Jesus Christ over death (which means our triumph over it, by God's saving works). Once a person embarks on the spiritual journey towards Pascha, with prayer and fasting, then whatever claims are encountered about holy Pascha having pagan origins and aspects can be safely disregarded as rotten bologna, and promptly discarded. That's generally what people of faith do with such claims.

Many false teachers who wish to begin their own breed of sect often resort to making false claims about the origins of certain aspects of traditional Christian beliefs and practices so as to convince potential proselytes that they should refrain from participating in the alleged false religion of Christendom, and enter instead into membership of their own allegedly "enlightened" group of believers. People with itching ears, wanting to receive a sense of their own importance by belonging to the select group of elite enlightened ones will easily fall prey to such leaders. We've seen what happens with a lot of them. It's really unfortunate because they ultimately become so led astray that terrible things can and do happen to them, and they are not the sort of terrible things that lead to salvation by grace through faith.

I just thought that people should hear this, so I'm posting it. Whether or not you're one of those who need to hear it, I don't know.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You brought up your denomination in that reply, which is totally different from mine. I never heard of any "Pascha" celebrations, only Easter. Is that a difference between Catholics and Protestants?
Pascha is what we call the feast of Christ's Resurrection. Roman Catholics and Protestants call the same feast Easter.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, okay. Then I'm sorry (my apologies).

The people who created those web sites need to have some way of marketing their religion to people, so they need to devise a way to meaningfully differentiate themselves from the established, mainstream Churches in order to convince potential members that they are the only group of people who really do what the Bible commands, whereas all the other Churches have gone astray into false beliefs and practices. They prey upon people's fears and uncertainties in order to get them to succumb to their religious indoctrination, so as to gain control over them. This is why they make the absurdly false claims about the origins and nature of beliefs and practices of the ancient Church.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pascha is what we call the feast of Christ's Resurrection. Roman Catholics and Protestants call the same feast Easter.

Only in English-speaking countries or German-speaking countries (and some countries that were Christianised by English-speaking missionaries). In nearly all Western European languages, including in the traditionally Catholic countries, the celebration of Christ's Resurrection is also called by some variant of the word Pascha.

• Informative
Reactions: truefiction1
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do you choose to not believe "falsehoods" that are presented as facts with a flew clicks?
I've checked the veracity of their 'facts'. They haven't become true since then.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,098.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,098.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I only called Easter pagan because I read that on several different websites.

Easter is the English name for the historic Christian feast celebrating the resurrection of Christ. Why should we distinguish between Easter and Pascha and assume the former was derived from a pagan spring festival while the better explanation is that only the name for the feast has English origins?

Let's put it this way, the Pope when he's speaking Italian will refer to the feast as Pascua and the other romance language countries will refer to it as the same. Are we to assume that Roman Catholics in New Zealand who call this feast Easter are celebrating a totally different feast at the exact same time as the Pope who will refer to it as Pascua? I don't think so, it's obviously the same feast.

So the fact that the feast is called Easter is utterly irrelevant to the origins of the feast itself, except in regards to the English name of it. The feast itself predates the first mentions of it by English writers (Bede is the first I believe to mention it). So we need go back and see what the earliest mentions of the feast which occur in the second and third centuries to determine Easter's (Pascha's) origin and I maintain they are Jewish in origin.

We can obviously see this by the name itself, Pascha is the Greek word for Passover and is used in the New Testament to describe that Jewish feast. When we look at the second century we see a dispute about the day the Paschal feast was supposed to take place by the Bishop of Rome and the eastern Christians. Ireneaus mediated and suggest both dates were acceptable because both were apostolic. We even have the works of Quatrodecimans like Melito of Sardis and we learn that the primary text read in his Church on that day was the Exodus account. Yet what Melito does with that is bring Christ to the forefront and makes him the center of their celebration. I highly recommend reading it. Then we see in the council of Nicaea the dispute about the dating for Easter resolved it is agreed how the feast ought be calculated. All this long before the first mentions of the feast before the English term Easter was even used (as far as I can tell).

I have never been able to understand why people desperately cling to this idea that Easter must be pagan and I can only conclude they look at the feast with English, Protestant eyes which blind them to historical reality of the feast itself. They think it makes intuitive sense because Easter sounds so odd a name for a Christian feast. They need to be less Anglo focused in this regard.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Easter is the English name for the historic Christian feast celebrating the resurrection of Christ. Why should we distinguish between Easter and Pascha and assume the former was derived from a pagan spring festival while the better explanation is that only the name for the feast has English origins?

Let's put it this way, the Pope when he's speaking Italian will refer to the feast as Pascua and the other romance language countries will refer to it as the same. Are we to assume that Roman Catholics in New Zealand who call this feast Easter are celebrating a totally different feast at the exact same time as the Pope who will refer to it as Pascua? I don't think so, it's obviously the same feast.

So the fact that the feast is called Easter is utterly irrelevant to the origins of the feast itself, except in regards to the English name of it. The feast itself predates the first mentions of it by English writers (Bede is the first I believe to mention it). So we need go back and see what the earliest mentions of the feast which occur in the second and third centuries to determine Easter's (Pascha's) origin and I maintain they are Jewish in origin.

We can obviously see this by the name itself, Pascha is the Greek word for Passover and is used in the New Testament to describe that Jewish feast. When we look at the second century we see a dispute about the day the Paschal feast was supposed to take place by the Bishop of Rome and the eastern Christians. Ireneaus mediated and suggest both dates were acceptable because both were apostolic. We even have the works of Quatrodecimans like Melito of Sardis and we learn that the primary text read in his Church on that day was the Exodus account. Yet what Melito does with that is bring Christ to the forefront and makes him the center of their celebration. I highly recommend reading it. Then we see in the council of Nicaea the dispute about the dating for Easter resolved it is agreed how the feast ought be calculated. All this long before the first mentions of the feast before the English term Easter was even used (as far as I can tell).

I have never been able to understand why people desperately cling to this idea that Easter must be pagan and I can only conclude they look at the feast with English, Protestant eyes which blind them to historical reality of the feast itself. They think it makes intuitive sense because Easter sounds so odd a name for a Christian feast. They need to be less Anglo focused in this regard.
Just to add to your excellent post, some years ago I had access to a great library of primarily lexicons (dictionaries) for many European llanguages, and I found the German "ostara" (easter) was derived from the Old Teutonic German word for "resurrection". The fact that the word is similar to the alleged goddess Eostre, of whom scant details are recorded, is because they both have at their root the direction in which the sun rises. In many languages the sun is said to "east" in the morning and "west" in the evening, so that "east" becomes the root of words associated with "rising", or in the case of Old Teutonic German, "ost".
Because Spring coincides with the days becoming longer and the sun 'easting' earlier, that is probably how Eostre got her name. Both words get their etymology from the same root, but otherwise are completely unrelated.
The "Ishtar" link is of course completely bogus. No one has ever been able to demonstrate how a long forgotten ancient Babylonian deity came to migrate into the consciousness of Germanic tribes and from them to the Anglos. It is complete fiction.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I only called Easter pagan because I read that on several different websites.
I encourage you to look for sources that show the references to the claims or that are primary sources. When you see references, go check them out.

Also, searching for something like “is Easter pagan” will bring up all the sites stating that Easter is pagan. Certain searches direct the results to support a specific claim.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.