Why don't the Four Gospels record the exact date of Jesus' birth?

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There were several in use. Which one?

My point was to a comment that implied the idea of a calendar was a modern era thing, a Roman thing. Clearly they had calendars as they knew exactly when the different feasts were. Do you really want to argue that point?

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why don't the Four Gospels record the exact date of Jesus' birth?
As we know,
1. Jesus was born in 4~6 BC, not 1st AD.
2. He was not born in winter because the shepherds were taking care of their sheep on the plain outdoors. (Luke 2: 8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night.)

Did the authors know exactly Jesus' birth date?
Why not they asked his mother Mary?

Since the bible makes no record of Jesus' birthday, then it is sinful for anyone to celebrate their birthday... it's a pagan tradition... Of man.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Since the bible makes no record of Jesus' birthday, then it is sinful for anyone to celebrate their birthday... it's a pagan tradition... Of man.

If you feel that way then simply do not celebrate birthdays. Do not impose your morality on others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you feel that way then simply do not celebrate birthdays. Do not impose your morality om others.

Anything that's not in the bible is a sin. Anniversaries and graduation ceremonies are sinful traditions... Of man.

• Haha
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,651.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My point was to a comment that implied the idea of a calendar was a modern era thing, a Roman thing. Clearly they had calendars as they knew exactly when the different feasts were. Do you really want to argue that point?

But the Jews did have significant regional variances in determining which day was a particular day as specified by the Mosaic Law. Jews in the Judean area were celebrating Passover on a different actual day than those in Italy, although they were calling it the same day.

That was the main reason Christians under Constantine decoupled the Paschal celebration from the Passover...Jewish methods of determining dates were not consistent enough across the empire for the Roman mindset.

• Agree
Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was the main reason Christians under Constantine decoupled the Paschal celebration from the Passover...Jewish methods of determining dates were not consistent enough across the empire for the Roman mindset.

I kind of think the Constantine had different motives other than making sure there was a good calendar for the "people"..But I really do not want to get into it as I do not think it really makes much difference other than interesting conversation.

My point was the Jews had a calendar this is known. If there were variations among Jews that is really not the point. I still do not think we are to focus on the birth or dates per say anyhow.

Upvote 0

Dig4truth

Aug 23, 2014
✟38,877.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
As others have commented on, the day of Yeshua's birth was not recorded but his death was.

Why is this important? Because Yeshua Himself said to remember His death until He comes. (Luke 22:19, I Cor 11:24-25)

This was Passover.

If you celebrate Christmas and not Passover, in my opinion, and based on Scripture, you are not following Yeshua's command.

Is this you? Do you celebrate Christmas and not Passover? Why? Because you're not Jewish? You don't have to be Jewish, just belong to Yeshua. You can obey Him, no worries.

Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is this important? Because Yeshua Himself said to remember His death until He comes. (Luke 22:19, I Cor 11:24-25)

He was referring to communion and the reason why we take it. He was not telling us to observe passover since HE IS the passover. There is no Jew or Gentile in the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Anything that's not in the bible is a sin.

The computer you are reading this on is not mentioned in the bible. To avoid sin I suggest that you consider getting rid of it.

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But the Jews did have significant regional variances in determining which day was a particular day as specified by the Mosaic Law. Jews in the Judean area were celebrating Passover on a different actual day than those in Italy, although they were calling it the same day.

That is not entirely accurate. Temple Judaism's calendar and time was dependent wholly upon the Temple Mount and Jerusalem - As an instance, the new year was determined by barley being 'aviv' on the side of the Mount of Olives adjacent to the Temple (to the east).

And we can read in the Bible that men from all nations and languages were present at Shavuot for the miracle of Pentecost.

Your point becomes true after the fall of the Temple - Judah being kicked out of Jerusalem and it's environs strained their timekeeping system tremendously, And therefore, their Holy Days... and resulted in the conference at Jamnia.

• Informative
Reactions: 2Timothy2:15
Upvote 0

Dig4truth

Aug 23, 2014
✟38,877.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
He was referring to communion and the reason why we take it. He was not telling us to observe passover since HE IS the passover. There is no Jew
or Gentile in the kingdom of God.

Communion? They were observing Passover. You can check the Bible for verification.

Do you use leavened bread for communion? Some do. This is not biblical.

Beside the insignificant details can you tell me why Christmas is observed and not Passover, predominately? The birth and not the death, as the biblical mandate establishes?

That's my main question. Why isn't the biblical mandate followed rather than the human tradition?

We are commanded to remember His death until He returns, not His birth.

I don't have a problem remembering His birth but not at the exclusion of remembering His death.

If you want to add to the required biblical mandates that may be ok, but NOT in exclusion of the what is required.

Yeshua Himself said to remember His death which was Passover. Rabbi Paul said to observe the Feast (Passover).

The question is do you observe Christmas but ignore Passover? If so, why?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Communion? They were observing Passover. You can check the Bible for verification.

Do you use leavened bread for communion? Some do. This is not biblical.

Beside the insignificant details can you tell me why Christmas is observed and not Passover, predominately? The birth and not the death, as the biblical mandate establishes?

That's my main question. Why isn't the biblical mandate followed rather than the human tradition?

We are commanded to remember His death until He returns, not His birth.

I don't have a problem remembering His birth but not at the exclusion of remembering His death.

If you want to add to the required biblical mandates that may be ok, but NOT in exclusion of the what is required.

Yeshua Himself said to remember His death which was Passover. Rabbi Paul said to observe the Feast (Passover).

The question is do you observe Christmas but ignore Passover? If so, why?

The Lord's Supper Instituted

(Matthew 26:26-30; Mark 14:22-26; 1 Corinthians 11:17-34)

14And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him. 15And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer: 16For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God. 17And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves: 18For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come. 19And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. 20Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you. 21But, behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table. 22And truly the Son of man goeth, as it was determined: but woe unto

You see in bold there, the LORDS SUPPER, not the continuation of passover...I am not sure where you get this teaching as communion/the Lords supper are a tenant of the Christian faith...so no I do not observe passover as no Christian is told to but we are not commanded not to either, so if you want to that is fine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,327.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Anything that's not in the bible is a sin. Anniversaries and graduation ceremonies are sinful traditions... Of man.
Am I to take it from that that you do not tie shoe laces, drive a car, ride a bicycle or brush your teeth?

• Agree
Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Am pretty certain we have records as early as the 2nd century of Christians celebrating His Birth on 25 December. In that era they are still being burned and having to hide, so am unclear why they would want to just make that up. Makes sense too that people would have asked and enjoyed hearing the Virgin Mary tell the story and that she would remember the date as well - which was also significant on a larger secular scale as it occurred during a census, which is why they were where they were. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Am I to take it from that that you do not tie shoe laces, drive a car, ride a bicycle or brush your teeth?

Yes, all those sins you mention are found nowhere in scripture. They are mere traditions of men.;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The computer you are reading this on is not mentioned in the bible. To avoid sin I suggest that you consider getting rid of it.

I'm just kidding, Jack.
...:D

• Haha
Upvote 0