Why don't the Four Gospels record the exact date of Jesus' birth?

Basil Isaacks

Nov 2, 2016
Mesa, Arizona
✟11,048.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
2. He was not born in winter because the shepherds were taking care of their sheep on the plain outdoors. (Luke 2: 8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night.)

Contrary to popular wisdom, it is only about 46-50 F at night in Bethlehem at its coldest in late December. Therefore the sheep and shepherds could easily have been outdoors, especially if there were a campfire.

There were several methods of dating in the Roman Empire. One reckoned years from the foundation of the city of Rome (Anno urbis conditor or AUC). Another counted the current year of the Emperor's reign. There was the year of the Indiction and solar cycle, which ran 19 years. Hebrew dating was another way. You get the idea.

Christ is born! Glorify Him!

• Agree
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dionysius Exigius (aka Dennis the Short), a monk from Russia who died about 544, was asked by Pope John I to set out the dates for Easter from the years 527 to 626. It seems that the Pope was keen to produce some order in the celebration of Easter. Dionysius decided to begin with what he considered to be the year of Jesus' birth. He chose the year in which Rome had been founded and determined, from the evidence known to him, that Jesus had been born 753 years later. He did have an error in that because one emperor changed his name during his reign, Dionysius counted him twice.

He was almost certainly acquainted with a suggestion by Hippolytus (170–236) that the date of Jesus' birth was December 25, but the trouble was that Hippolytus had not backed up this claim with sound arguments. Dionysius, however, had just the argument: His contemporaries claimed that God created the earth on March 25. It was inconceivable that the son of God could have been in any way imperfect. Therefore Jesus must have been conceived on March 25. This meant that he must have been born nine months later—December 25. Dionysius also concluded that, as a perfect being, Jesus could not have lived an incomplete life so he must have died on March 25 as well!

December 25 was an auspicious choice. In 274, in Rome, the Emperor Aurelian declared December 25 a civic holiday in celebration of the birth of Mithras, the sun god. By 336, in that same city, Christians countered by celebrating the birth of Jesus, the son of God, on December 25. Christians in Antioch in 375 celebrated the birth of Jesus on January 6. Christians in Alexandria did not begin to celebrate Christmas at all until 430. So until Dionysius came along there was confusion over dates, and debates raged, even over the usefulness of celebrating the birth of Jesus at all. What had been universally important for all Christians—the pre-eminent event—was the celebration of Easter.

When, in 527, he formalized the date of Jesus' birth, Dionysius put Christmas on the map. Jesus was born, he declared, on December 25 in the Roman year 753. Dionysius then suspended time for a few days, declaring January 1, 754—New Year's day in Rome—as the first year in a new era of world history.

With a stroke of ingenuity Dionysius had managed to shift the attention of the church from Easter to Christmas. From this point in time it seemed only logical to celebrate the birth of Jesus before his death. If Jesus' death by crucifixion had made possible salvation for all people everywhere, so the argument went, then his birth was the sign that God was identifying with human kind by taking human form.

But Dionysius made a mistake in his calculations. Perhaps he had never read the gospel account of the birth of Jesus. In Matthew Jesus is said to have been born while Herod was still King (2:1). That would translate into 4 BC (or even earlier) according to the calculations of Dionysius. As a consequence, for Christians the year 2000 is not two thousand years after the birth of Jesus, but more like 2004.

That was not his only mistake. Dionysius followed the convention of his times and, as the Roman calendar moved from the year 753 to 754, he called the latter "year one" of the New World order—anno domini, the year of our Lord. The concept of naught (zero) didn't come into Europe from Arabia and India until about two hundred years later. As a result, centuries end with naught and begin with the digit one. So for us the year 2000 was the end of one millennium but it was not the beginning of the next: that occurred in 2001.

Later, when Pope Gregory tidied up the calendar on 24 February 1582, the calendar lost eleven days. To synchronise the calendar of Dionysius with the movement of the sun, October 4 became October 15, and to avoid having to make further adjustments a leap year was introduced. Pope Gregory must also have known of the mistakes made by Dionysius but all he did was to confirm them, perhaps hoping that no one would notice.

There is one other problem. Bishop Ussher (1581–1656) worked out the precise year of creation as 4004 BC (he knew about Dionysisus getting the date of Jesus birth wrong). But he also advanced the view that the earth had a total life span of six thousand years. In order to come up with this conclusion he based his calculations on all the generations mentioned in the Bible.

In reality we do not know when Jesus was born—neither the year, the month, nor the day. The chronology of our western calendar is based on mythology masquerading as theology. We do well to treat it all with the humour it deserves.

I have concluded that we really cannot know, either. It is possible it is correct and it is possible it is wrong. In either case, whether the calendar was correct or not, the calendar would adjust today and not backwards if Jesus is the center of BC and AD (of which He is). The calendar day would have to change today if we knew for a fact that we got it wrong. To say Jesus was born in 4-6 BC is not a correct way to say such a thing. The calendar today would have to change to ammend to Christ's birth (Which would be 1AD - regardless of what other men have placed 1AD at in history).

So I can say Christ was born in 1AD and be correct. This would just mean that the year we are going by may not be correct is all.

Upvote 0

KirbyJ

Jul 31, 2013
Cheney, Washington (state)
✟17,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Well I don't know but are there any exact dates of events in the Bible?
We know that God said certain feasts etc. should be observed on certain days in certain months.
Valid question. Chuck Missler for one figured from the dates of Elizabeth (Mary's cousin whom she visited after her encounter with the angel) own pregnancy and various indicators and associated timelines. If I recall, he thought Mary gave birth in late September counting back from early March. You can check Missler's site out at Koinonia House and get specifics. My take as with others is that God never shared much on date specifics because as with various artifacts like Noah's ark, they would become objects of worship - much like the Catholics today who worship and idolize all kinds of representative objects, the Vatican labeled "saints", and even Mary herself who is quickly rising to god/goddess status, immaculately conceived also, etc. You get the picture. Man always wants something visual as when the Jews told Samuel they wanted a living breathing king. It never works out.
Our Creator and Savior would rather we focused on more important things, but there are clues out there.

Upvote 0

Aryeh

Dec 4, 2016
Los Angeles
✟21,820.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
As we know,
1. Jesus was born in 4~6 BC, not 1st AD.
2. He was not born in winter because the shepherds were taking care of their sheep on the plain outdoors. (Luke 2: 8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night.)

Did the authors know exactly Jesus' birth date?
Why not they asked his mother Mary?

It sounds macarbe, but His death was more important. The Hebrews were told from a very early time to celebrate/remember Christ's day of death (Passover,) a time of mourning (Unleavened Bread,) and His expected resurrection (Firstfruits.)

Also, since Christ had no birth date (He is, was, and will be... John 1:1,) it would be silly to even mention His birthday as if it was something to have in remembrance. He exists. Likely, His birthday wasn't mentioned because of the focus it may draw - rather than his resurrection for the remission of sins (the first four of seven holy days.)

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Good observation. Also, the fact the Innkeeper made the manger available for accommodation is proof that it was not winter, because animals were not in it. (spoils our Christmas card piccies doesnt it?)

So winter is out. I believe he was born sometime between March and October, 5 BC.

Except that the Hebrew word for 'manger' is sukkot - And Sukkot is the Hebrew name of the Feast of Tabernacles... and a sukkot is also the lean-to-like dwelling constructed on the Feast of Tabernacles as a temporary dwelling...

So the inn keeper (which isn't right - Inns are a western idea) made them room in a sukkot, and she had a baby and laid him in a sukkot, He came to earth and 'tabernacled' among us... I wonder how you say 'tabernacle' in Hebrew?

He was born on the first day of Sukkot, and was circumcised into the covenant on the Great Eighth Day.

Every single important thing YHWH has ever done has been done according to His Feast Days. It is absurd to believe The birth of Messiah - The WHOLE POINT of it all - would be otherwise.

Time to take off the Rome-colored glasses and wipe the Greece from your eyes ; ) YHWH's feasts are immensely prophetic, predictive, and deeply about Yeshua. ALL of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mograce2U

Mar 22, 2006
Los Angeles
✟15,648.00
Faith
Christian
The thing about prophecy that we forget to consider is that it is EVENT driven, not date driven. How else could Daniel have prayed aright except that the visions he received showed him the time of the Babylon captivity was over. Couldn't he just have counted out the 70 years? The same is true of the time of Messiah to be born which is how the 'wise men' (magi were descendants of those who had followed Daniel) knew the signs. Isaiah and Jeremiah and Ezekiel - all the prophets - also knew what was coming upon Israel in a timely manner because of the signs, and spent years forewarning the people. Why else do you suppose the apostles spent 40 yrs warning the Jews about the end that was coming upon them and yet none of them knew the date. Yet we still think He is coming again to take vengeance upon the nation. There are no more signs to watch for because He fulfilled them all!

I look forward to the day when we will pick that event to celebrate!

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The thing about prophecy that we forget to consider is that it is EVENT driven, not date driven.

I would take exception to that - I find the Prophecy to be remarkably and incrementally accurate. It is amazing to me how perfectly it is executed - we will find out, before it;s done, to the very day, and perhaps even to the very hour.

How else could Daniel have prayed aright except that the visions he received showed him the time of the Babylon captivity was over. Couldn't he just have counted out the 70 years?

He did know - that is why he was praying in the first place.

The same is true of the time of Messiah to be born which is how the 'wise men' (magi were descendants of those who had followed Daniel) knew the signs.

Well, maybe so - I am fond of that same thought, but it is not proven. 'Magi', by their definition, are against YHWH... Would be nice, probable, even, but not proven.

Isaiah and Jeremiah and Ezekiel - all the prophets - also knew what was coming upon Israel in a timely manner because of the signs, and spent years forewarning the people. Why else do you suppose the apostles spent 40 yrs warning the Jews about the end that was coming upon them and yet none of them knew the date. Yet we still think He is coming again to take vengeance upon the nation.

Why is it that I can spend twenty years preaching to the people what is coming even now - that which is at the very gate - and they don't listen?

There are no more signs to watch for because He fulfilled them all!

Not even remotely. There is MUCH that remains unfulfilled.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Contrary to popular wisdom, it is only about 46-50 F at night in Bethlehem at its coldest in late December. Therefore the sheep and shepherds could easily have been outdoors, especially if there were a campfire.

There were several methods of dating in the Roman Empire. One reckoned years from the foundation of the city of Rome (Anno urbis conditor or AUC). Another counted the current year of the Emperor's reign. There was the year of the Indiction and solar cycle, which ran 19 years. Hebrew dating was another way. You get the idea.

Christ is born! Glorify Him!

I was about to make a post along these lines, but you spared me the effort. For that, I salute you! ;)

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was about to make a post along these lines, but you spared me the effort. For that, I salute you! ;)

Have y'all ever actually watched a herd in the wilderness? 40s/50s degrees and rainy is flat out miserable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have y'all ever actually watched a herd in the wilderness? 40s/50s degrees and rainy is flat out miserable.

I haven't had to watch a flock in those conditions, but I've had to stand a night watch in those conditions.

Yeah, it's flat out miserable. Does a sheep's coat get matted in the rain? If so, there goes the thermal protection.

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Alas Judea in the first century was not known for creature comforts.

Increased predation in the long nights, wet and cold, ease of injury slipping around in the mud in the dark - All reasons why the herd gets driven in to the close pastures or paddocks in the fall. Here in the Rockies, we drive em down right after harvest. Late September, early October. Of course, them are cows, but sheep are no different. I did it for half my life.

• Agree
Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I haven't had to watch a flock in those conditions, but I've had to stand a night watch in those conditions.

right on.

Yeah, it's flat out miserable. Does a sheep's coat get matted in the rain? If so, there goes the thermal protection.

Dunno. I'm a cowboy... cows. But the people, horses, and the dogs don't put up with it long... Nobody does all that if they can help it.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that the short answers is calendars in those times were not as explicit as ours, and they were less time obsessed. Luke speaks in the manner of historians of the age and gives markers such as 'In those days a decree went out from Emperor Augustus that all the world should be registered. This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria.' (Luke 2:1)

The Jewish calendar was absolutely intact and accurate.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As we know,

I think the absence of the date of birth was not a mistake or over looked by the Lord. I think it is because it is ALL about the cross and resurrection and we were never suppose to focus on his birth in the way that is done.

Upvote 0

Shea Rodriguez

Oct 30, 2016
Oregon
✟17,584.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As we know,

Jesus Christ Birthday - Here a little, there a little - Holy Days

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
In the modern world it is often possible to record the onset of an event to the nearest microsecond, if not even more precisely.

However, in the classical world, such precise measurements of events was not even remotely possible.
It was also not just a matter of lack of sophisticated technology either. It was also a matter of a lack of standards that had different peoples from different cultures and different regions measuring the same event according to different calendars and different markers.
We are a people of Greenwich standard time and international datelines, that precisely demarcate where Sunday ends and where Monday begins, a people who measure the length of a year according to precise astronomical events such as the annual rotation of the earth around the sun as measured to the foot and the microsecond. Time is global for us today, where even the different calendars of different cultures and religious traditions can be synchronized.
This was not even close to the reality for people of ancient and pre-modern times. An event that happened on a Thursday for one people would have been recorded as happening on a Friday for another, as measured according to the different calendars of local traditions. Even as a people traveled to different regions, there local measurements would be according to the customs and time measurements that were already established for them at point of departure, rather than the 'turning back of their watch every time they cross a time zone , like we do now. Simply put such time zones did not even exist for ancients.

It is the challenge of the modern historian to discern the local customs and systems that define any particular recording of an event, to find the astronomical Rosetta stone of time, so to speak, which would allow them to translate the different time recordings into a universal system of time that synchronizes with our own modern clocks.

Upvote 0