Why don't more creationists think like Todd Wood?

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
No. But neither do I deny Ken Ham, or anyone else, the right to believe such.

He may not believe the two are distinct. Or he may. Either way his belief system is his. He may well believe he has evidence which supports his belief system as he believes it. In most cases that evidence tends to be subjective, but he still has the right to believe it. :)
No one is challenging his right to hold that belief. The point at issue is the difference between a person like Ken Ham, who asserts that no evidence will cause him to change it, and a person who is willing to change his beliefs in the face of compelling evidence.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Show me a direct quote where he said "my understanding of god's words can't be wrong".

In a response to the question what would change his mind concerning creation and evolution, he said "nothing." So you have two options, as I see it:

1. He was, by implication and necessity, saying that his beliefs about creation and evolution, and therefore his YEC views, cannot change.

or

2. He was evading the question by giving the answer to the question that wasn't asked: "what would change your mind about the divine authorship of the Bible?"

Based on the statement of faith at Answers in Genesis, of which he is the founder, it is quite reasonable to view his answer as being in line with #1. The statement of faith lays out how the Bible is to be interpreted--in literal fashion--and any evidence against such an interpretation are due to man's (but not his, apparently) failures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
In a response to the question what would change his mind concerning creation and evolution, he said "nothing." So you have two options, as I see it:

1. He was, by implication and necessity, saying that his beliefs about creation and evolution, and therefore his YEC views, cannot change.

or

2. He was evading the question by giving the answer to the question that wasn't asked: "what would change your mind about the divine authorship of the Bible?"

Based on the statement of faith at Answers in Genesis, of which he is the founder, it is quite reasonable to view his answer as being in line with #1. The statement of faith lays out how the Bible is to be interpreted--in literal fashion--and any evidence against such an interpretation are due to man's (but not his) failures.

Expect another round of pure denial.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. No apparent evidence, no perceived evidence, no claimed evidence can legitimately contradict the word of God.

As the bumper sticker said, "God said it. I believe it. That settles it." :)
I find it more than a little disturbing that there are people that actually think this way.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I find it more than a little disturbing that there are people that actually think this way.

It's been used to justify a whole lot of heinous philosophy.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sad and frightening, but true.
The thing is though, they are done in spite of the Bible; not with respect to It.

Academians, on the other hand, like to compare the love-thy-neighbor Bible to the convert-or- die Koran; and I've even seen some academians say the Koran is superior.

Upvote 0

TCassidy

Jun 24, 2017
Weslaco
✟44,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am often disturbed by how people think, but it is their right to think as they choose. It keeps me busy trying to clean up all that muddy thinking. :D

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I am often disturbed by how people think, but it is their right to think as they choose.
This is the conventional view and we, arguably, get around any undesirable aspects of protecting this right by noting that they do not necessarily have the right to act on those thoughts, or - in some instances - even to express them publicly.

However, these thoughts inform their decisions and their actions; decisions and actions that impact upon friends, family, the local community and, in some instances, have a global reach. If the thoughts are disturbing it seems likely that at least some of the decisions and actions will be disturbing and have, perhaps, undesirable consequences.

Then, from a purely hypothetical point of view, should such thoughts be tolerated? And, of course, how would be prevent such thoughts without infringing on other rights? Even if that difficulty could be overcome, could agreement ever be reached as to what thoughts were beyond the pale? Nevertheless, it may just be that people do not truly have the right to think as they choose. Maybe that's what is intended by Matthew 5: v.27-28.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Would a one-world government be an academic task worth pursuing?
Since no governemment to date has done an exemplary job of governing even quite small portions of the planet it seems unlikely things can be improved by attempting to have "one size fit all".
As an academic exercise, by all means, unless such a thought is one of those thoughts that people really shouldn't be having.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I am often disturbed by how people think, but it is their right to think as they choose. It keeps me busy trying to clean up all that muddy thinking. :D
It is, sadly, very common among anti-science zealots to see them inflate their own sense of relevant knowledge and to imbue themselves with near mystical powers of reasoning that they do not possess.

Upvote 0

TCassidy

Jun 24, 2017
Weslaco
✟44,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It is, sadly, very common among anti-science zealots to see them inflate their own sense of relevant knowledge and to imbue themselves with near mystical powers of reasoning that they do not possess.
The same can be said for the fringe on both sides. It's called "human nature." :)

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
On the contrary. I was once an evolutionist, but the science made me change my views, not a belief

Given your writings on science that I have seen, I would say that it is you inability to understand the science that may have been in play.

Isn't it odd, though, how those claiming science drove them from evolution drove right into biblical creation, and not some form of agnosticism, or Hinduism or something. Such a coincidence.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So, which evidence is considered more reliable? Circumstantial evidence or eyewitness testimony?
Even if it were mere circumstantial evidence, it would win. Eyewitness testimony (who witnessed creation?) is notoriously unreliable...

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-the-eyes-have-it/

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/editorials/la-ed-eyewitness-testimony-20180508-story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c803175dd4c1

Upvote 0

TCassidy

Jun 24, 2017
Weslaco
✟44,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Eyewitness testimony (who witnessed creation?) is notoriously unreliable.
That is a "Hollywood" fact. Eye witness testimony is much more convincing than circumstantial evidence.

And, who witnessed creation? Uh, God did. He was there. Verse 2 of Genesis 1 says so. :)

Upvote 0