Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So we have a cat named Panda, we got him about a year ago when he was cute little kitten. And he was so affectionate towards us my mom just wanted to keep him (She said "this is the cat"), so my little sister bought him for ninety dollars. Kittens can cost hundreds of dollars, especially if they are from a breeder so Panda was actually kind of cheap.

He's a longhair, and is black and white.

Whenever she leaves the room and goes outside he meows a lot (I can't stand that either), so we always assure him that she is coming back.

But he's an adult cat now and whenever we pet him a lot he bites us, then he gets all energetic and runs all over the house. I can't stand it.

My dad takes an oven mitt and he likes to wrestle with the cat by spreading the oven mitt all over the cat's body -- seeing it is actually kind of funny.

I take my hand and I scratch Panda on the head, behind the ears, under his chin, and on his body. Sometimes he just relaxes on the floor and lets me do my petting. If we pet him long enough he will reach up and try to bite our hands with his sharp teeth, but I always pull away before he can.

Do you know how to train a cat not to bite? Since he has gotten older it's like he has gotten less affectionate with us, and I don't know why really. I miss the tiny, cute and cuddly kitten we got a year ago. The one that always wanted to be held and he would brush up against our legs purring.

He has also stopped playing with his toys. When he was younger he would chase around the balls and toy mice we gave him to play with. He barfs up the tuna we give him. He doesn't always eat what we bring him. Does that mean there is something wrong with him and I should take him to the doctor?

Last edited:
T

TraciDee

This is the hard part of being a cat owner, and I'm afraid the solution involves daily effort on everyone's part.

I got my cat when she was 5/6 months old but really tiny, a little over a lb (she was sick, but that's a whole different story). She became really attached to me like yours seems to be to your mom, and we spent lots of time playing and snuggling together. One of the problems comes when at this stage, when they're tiny and harmless, you play rough or let them chase your hands or feet. They grow up really confused thinking their human parents are toys and can rough-house, but suddenly now you're yelling at them for it... definitely conflicting information. You can't un-do the past, but make sure everyone in the house henceforth switches to only playing with toys- even if your hands are protected. Cats are smart, they'll catch on to the new rule if it's displayed consistently.

The other issue is that cats have an innate desire to hunt. When we play, we not only get rid of their pent-up energy, but we can engage them to satisfy their hunting needs. You HAVE to mentally and physically stimulate your cat or they will take out that need somewhere else. Just think of the big cats at the zoo with poor enclosures- they pace back and forth displaying discontent and mental distress- that's what your cat is doing in your house. It can be really hard to find time, but try to make sure your cat is being played with every day. I usually will do a high-energy at least 20-30 minute play time right before bed followed by giving her a little food or a treat. She mentally and physically can go through the motions of stalking and catching prey, then the hunt is completed when she eats. It really helps!

I just overcame this problem not long ago and have spoken with a lot of vets and professionals about it- PM me or ask here if there's anything else in this process you need to know! Best of luck!

Upvote 0

Bananagator

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Nov 20, 2013
✟14,432.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Cats also show affection by giving each other love-nips, so they'll occasionally do it to people too.

My cat does this and yeah it's annoying lol. She's a hyper little thing, and if you refuse to play with her when she demands it, you will feel her wrath.

As ridiculous as this may sound, maybe Panda's going through a rebellious phase. After all, at one year old he's sort of like a young adult. Not playing with toys, not showing affection, classic signs of teen angst.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Has he been declawed? Declawed cats have no other defense.

Becoming less playful is common, especially with males.

Vomiting is often a sign of hairballs, especially with longhairs. A vet visit might be a good idea if it continues.

Upvote 0