Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If suffering didn't exist it would be like living in heaven, but this isn't heaven it's a fallen world and "most" suffering is caused by the devil and his minions, not God. But us Christians have a way to get through these sufferings, by having a relationship with Jesus who eases our way through life through Him.

I don't think Satan does anything but encourage humans to follow their own human nature. That's the only action we see him taking in scripture.

The universe was intended to be guided by mankind, but right now it's careening without control. It was not intended to be random, but it is. "The rain falls on the just and the unjust."

Upvote 0

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Natural disasters, accidents and diseases are the cause of many deaths each day. Dying without having a choice sounds like the opposite of free will to me.
1. This world is temporal and subject to degeneration through sin. It is no longer the Paradise it
once was.
2. Human beings need to overcome adversities to keep ourselves "human" and compassionate
and bonded into caring communities and societies.
A world with no dangers and no challenges and no death - what would be become?
Already affluence and consumerism in the Western world has produced a generation or two of
whinging whining soft spoiled people who demand much, and are totally consumed by gadgets.

3. Death and the life of any individual is but a blink of the eye. The scriptures describe us as being
like grass; here today gone tomorrow. A mist, a vapour...
Whether a child dies or a very old person dies it is sad for others, but in the purpose of existence it
is not of any great difference.
Jesus has promised that this world will come to a brutal and terrible end through our own sinful
actions, most likely nuclear war, and along with natural catastrophes, billions will die.
But our fallen sinful world will be recreated as a new Earth and a new universe, and in which we
all will live forever and forever, into the eternities...
So given this the length of your natural life is insignificant; but...

what is important is where you will spend the eternities; here on a new Earth or
in a terrible place of torment and continuing separation from God and joy.

Millions of people choose not to believe in truth; not to believe in the gospel; not to believe in
God's righteousness; not to believe in Jesus as the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the
world. Millions of people, particularly in the West, believe only in themselves.
And yet despite all of this Jesus and the Father are reaching out, extending their hand to all
who desire truth and salvation.

How blessed are those who believe and obey despite all the wickedness that works to destroy
faith in the true gospel delivered into this world by the Son of God himself.

• Friendly
Reactions: Living Soul
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When is dying ever a choice?

Hi viren,

When one refuses to love God. When sin overtakes us. The Scriptures tell us that the wages of sin is death. The Scriptures tell us that the one who sins will surely die. We make the choice to die when we sin in the oh so many ways that we sin.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking about suffering, God gave me this not long ago:
2 Thessalonians 1
4 Therefore we ourselves boast about you in the churches of God for your steadfastness and faith in all your persecutions and in the afflictions that you are enduring.

This is evidence of the righteous judgment of God, that you may be considered worthy of the kingdom of God, for which you are also suffering—

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I am really struggling to answer this question. It can't be just be about free will. Natural disasters, accidents and diseases are the cause of many deaths each day. Dying without having a choice sounds like the opposite of free will to me.

Having a choice and making the wrong one is no better. Millions of people reject Jesus.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I am really struggling to answer this question. It can't be just be about free will. Natural disasters, accidents and diseases are the cause of many deaths each day. Dying without having a choice sounds like the opposite of free will to me.

I just came across this verse:

Hebrews 4:13 Berean Study Bible
Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight; everything is uncovered and exposed before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

If we have faith, we can trust God. Without faith, it all seems like chaos, and life would seem pointless.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Markuss. Why does God allow suffering? God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters. Much suffering we allow ourselves, because we do not take God, our Heavenly Father, we do not keep asking and waiting. The suffering always stays with us, as long as we do not sincerely ask God to help us, we always want something done straight away. God Loves us, and God wants loving and caring sons and daughters. In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells us: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds. The second is like it: treat our neighbour as we treat ourselves, with true love and caring. God sees our loving deeds and words, and God will Bless us greatly. The Bible tells us
give up all selfish wishes and wants, start loving and caring, God knows our hearts, and God will always give us what we ask for, and truly mean it. We love all we know and all we meet, treat them as we would love to be treated, and God will greatly Bless us. In Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told: Ask and you shall receive, we ask for Love and Joy, and Compassion, then we thank God and share all love and joy and compassion with all we know and all we meet. God is Love and God wants loving sons and daughters. Love is very catching, let us try and be as God wants us to be, then we follow Jesus our Saviour. Jesus is THE WAY. I say this with love, Markuss. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God allows it because if He did not, according to the logic of universal cause and effect, you and I and anybody else would never exist, and that (in the long run) truly matters to God.

God has shown us, in Christ Jesus, the way through suffering and death that is the resurrection, and so when each one of us encounters Him in our lifetime we have a choice as to how the story is going to end.

In a few thousand years we will all, even the person who suffered the most, look back on this time on earth as an unpleasant experience as a child remembers a terrible childhood sickness and being full of the Spirit have gleaned whatever good can come of it all, the rest to be discarded along with the rest of the garbage of this world.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do you know suffering is caused by the devil? Suffering seems to be primarily caused by either human greed or nature. Things just happen.
That will be another accusation that Satan brings against us: Incorrectly blaming someone else for our own greedy self loving failures.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This question is perhaps the biggest single quandry for the Theist, especially the Theist who beleives that God is Love.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think that's a good enough answer. We don't know for absolute certain what happens when we die.
Nevertheless:If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied. (1 Corinthians 15)
So we should be sure of the ground upon which we stand.
If there is no life beyond the suffering and death then there is no reason behind it apart from the simple law of the universe.
And if hell exists then that's eternal punishment, not glory.
And thats not eternal life rather it is complete destruction that is the 2nd death.
And the way heaven is often portrayed makes it seem like we lose who we are and just want to worship God.
Do you not worship God with every act of your existence now? Your very act of living gratefully day to day for Him is, or at least should be, an act of worship. How would any of us who have accepted the free gift of God want it any other way?
Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”a for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We all are in temporary bodies.

But inevitable death -- the same fate of everyone... is only a doorway to what is next.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People suffer as they lack knowledge. How many times I thought, if only I would have known these things when I was younger, there would have been less suffering.

If you do not want to suffer flooding, do not buy a home in a flood zone, or buy flood insurance.
The cost of flood insurance might rise. A house built on a good foundation was not swept away by a flood. They might have to cut out wet sections of sheet rock and put new sheet rock in. One body is not strong enough to fix all that is broken.

God is preparing good things for people, are you?

1 Corinthians 2:9 (KJV) But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The question is formed wrong.

More properly formed, the question should be, "With God being so holy, perfect and righteous and that He has a holy and righteous wrath against sin, and man being so wicked, depraved, rebellious and sinful, why is there not far, far more suffering in the world?"

It is because of God's common grace that there is not far more suffering in the world. It is because of God eternal decree that He made some vessels for honor (to demonstrate His mercy, grace and love) and some vessels for dishonor (to demonstrate His justice, righteousness and wrath against sin).

Man does not have autonomous libertarian free will. That is a deception. God is sovereign, not man.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why does God allow so much suffering?
Suffering is an invitation to the sufferer to turn to his fellows for comfort, and an invitation to everyone else to comfort him. Both are thus provided an opportunity to become more fully human.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Jesus suffered did He not?

Should we have a pain free life?

Should we not pick up our cross and follow Jesus?

"Happy those who suffer most, if it be for Christ" St Teresa of Avila

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Your question presumes that God is choosing to let us suffer, as though he consciously has decided that we should suffer, which is not the case. You reject the answer of free will because of natural disasters. But the answer of free will is tied to the biblical answer of perfection.

James tells us,
Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

This only makes sense in the light of perfection. When Adam and Eve were created, they and all creation was perfect. But for life to be truly life free will had to be given. This is a wild card that God anticipated could bring evil into the world. A will is not free if it can not reject God. When they believed the serpent, and disobeyed the command not to eat the forbidden fruit, perfection was cracked.

God did not curse the world, he declared the consequence of their unbelief and disobedience, which is called the curse that brought thorns and thistles and all natural disasters. This crack slowly spread throughout all creation. But as I said, he anticipated the possibility with the agreement of the Word in the Godhead to incarnate and take the sins of the world upon himself.

The question naturally arises, then, is now that Jesus has taken the sins of the world upon himself, why not stop it all now and bring in the new perfect creation? I don't know. But I do know that God has good reason for everything and we will understand it all in the end.

Meanwhile, God is not causing any of the suffering because it is still the consequence of Adam's disobedience. However, God has promised to walk us through everything if we lean on him and not rely on our own understanding or strength.

Upvote 0